Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information on mid engine Vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Ssr2003
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Information on mid engine Vette

Here's Everything We Know About the Mid-Engine Corvette From Public Info
We’ve been hearing rumors about a mid-engine Corvette for a couple of years, and while GM is keeping it very under wraps, it turns out you can learn a hell of a lot from stuff floating out on the open internet. Including that everyone’s talking about two different cars entirely.
Our latest form of proof comes from engineer and supplier profiles on LinkedIn showing the work that has already been done and giving us a few more details on what is going into the car.
The next-generation Corvette currently has two working platform names, according to the public LinkedIn profiles, “Y2XX” for the standard front-engine car and “ZERV” for the mid-engine car. That’s not surprising as the C7 used the working name of “Y1XX,” and the ZERV name seems very related to the CERV name used for their mid-engine projects in the past.
Negotiations for parts and tooling for the mid-engine car have already been completed, according to one GM buyer profile that lists the ZERV code, and it is slated to be a 2020 model year vehicle. Pre-production builds usually happen just past the prototype phase and are used to test out the tooling and tweak final production details.
Webasto Roof Systems appears to be developing the doors for the mid-engine car according to an engineer profile. The interesting bit about that is that this engineer usually works on sunroof systems, so we may see more complex doors than your standard horizontal fare, much like the Ford GT for this car.
Another buyer lists that she negotiated the seat belts for the mid-engine car, and that the work was completed between August 2017 and January 2018. Moving on through the rest of the interior we find a profile for a program manager for seat supplier IGB, whose profile lists that he managed the development of the ventilated seats for the mid-engine car and specifically calls it out as the “ZERV Corvette.”
The mid-engine car will employ an “aluminum roof bow” assembly, according to one profile of an employee at Tier 1 supplier Magna. This is not surprising as GM has used such a support in previous Corvettes, as well as the Pontiac Solstice coupe.
The sun visors for the mid-engine car were developed by supplier Daimay and according to a profile for one of their managers, with the work completed between November 2016 and March 2017. The radio antenna for that car has also been in development for a similar amount of time, and according to a profile for an employee of supplier Kathrein USA, it will support the standard bands of AM, FM, and Sirius XM. That’s all very normal in most modern cars, but the interesting part is that it will also support DAB, which is non-existent in North America, but very popular in the United Kingdom and Australia, which would mean that a right-hand-drive appears imminent as well.
Heatshield testing for the mid-engine car has been in progress since June 2016 and appears to have to been completed already, according to the profile of another engineer.
General Motors declined to comment, but that may not matter. Things can always get cancelled at the last minute, but it appears as if both of these cars are full steam ahead.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Interesting that you only have the one data point for a FE and the rest of your post supports the ME. There will only be a ME C8, IMO, and the data you provided points very heavily to that being reality.
vettesweetnos (08-23-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 06:18 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssr2003
The next-generation Corvette currently has two working platform names, according to the public LinkedIn profiles, “Y2XX” for the standard front-engine car and “ZERV” for the mid-engine car. That’s not surprising as the C7 used the working name of “Y1XX,” and the ZERV name seems very related to the CERV name used for their mid-engine projects in the past.
Y2XX and ZERV are interchangable. There is no FE Corvette C8. People need to stop with this nonsense

and aren't you quoting teh same Jalopnik article that's been posted previously?

Last edited by CitznFish; 08-24-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Boiler_81 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Interesting that you only have the one data point for a FE and the rest of your post supports the ME. There will only be a ME C8, IMO, and the data you provided points very heavily to that being reality.
I wonder why there are camouflaged C7s running around? 16:08 mark.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dVYI9mx1Hw
Yeah that one threw me a curve. Maybe C8 drivetrain? Then again you wouldn't have to camo it. Interesting... I'm still wondering what that grey and orange C7 Z with the roll bar and **** was all about.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:37 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Let’s all remember that both Tadge and Mark Reuss have said “C7 development is done.” Don’t want anyone to get their hopes up. As to way down the road???
Old 08-25-2018, 01:51 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
The problem with this that IT IS A C7. There is no development going on there unless under the skin. GM would be foolish to go anywhere near the C7 in a C8. The C7 is at the bottom of the polls of generation designs liked and the ZR1 carried it WAY TOO FAR.

Also, it is of unknown date on the picture, it may very well be a C7 proto to C7 actual comparison as set up by the vid. There are no other spots of a FRONT ENGINE prototype Vette running around anywhere.

Get over it guys, GM has figured out how to produce a mid engine at a reasonable price and the Corvette is taking it largest evolution step in many a generation.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:46 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
The C7 is at the bottom of the polls of generation designs liked ...
I'm not suggesting the C7 is going to continue much long, a few years at most. But what now? I've never seen or heard the C7 design criticized much if at all and certainly not so much to be at the bottom of polls. This is excepting the Give-Me-Round-Tail-Lights-Or-Give-Me-Death crowd but that was a small if vocal percentage.

Personally I'd rank the generations C2-C7-C3-C1-C6-C5-C4 in terms of design.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:49 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

It's real simple, either the mid engine car is going to base price at 60k (or less) or there will be a front engine car in C8 to supplement...I'm going with that...there is DEFINITELY going to be both platforms. What isn't going to happen, is a mid engine Corvette starting in the 80's or 90's and that's that....that'd be foolish as all hell. The lower range Stingrays were the bread and butter of the sales figures. People want a simple 60k Corvette out the door...there were a lot of non Z51's even.

Again, I constantly reiterate, if GM invested hundreds of millions in Bowling Green, to build both platforms side by side, then to believe the FE is dead, is to also believe they expanded that plant to build them side by side for 2-3 yrs only. What a waste that'd be.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:30 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as recon from LinkedIn...you can use the following advanced google searches:

"Y2XX" site:linkedin.com "profile"
"zerv" "General Motors" site:linkedin.com "profile"

It appears that GM is possibly making individuals cleanup their profiles, as google caches are showing some people as working on zerv and Y2xx, but their current live profiles are absent from it.

Something kind of interesting, one GM employee that started in 2017 has this:
"- Assist set up, troubleshooting, and validation of error proofing devices for Y1XX Relaunch"

Last edited by LostAngel; 08-28-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another interesting google search:
intext:"Resume" + "y2xx"
intext:"Resume" + "zerv"
Old 08-28-2018, 10:48 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Found a profile online of a person who worked on the 31xx and Y2xx platforms. Said the work on Y2xx Corvette for the first MPV event. MPV, internal to GM, means Multi Purpose Vehicle and shows current as of last month.

There are clearly two different platforms being discussed, both also specified as "Corvette" on various profiles. I believe Y2xx will refer to the entire C8 FE/ME/Corvette line, while ZERV was specific to the ME variant....that's my guess.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

what gm has in mind down the line for corvette is pure conjecture, but you can be sure they have a lot. the hybrid mid gasoline engine/front electric is a sure thing.

front engine corvette 4 dr sedan, front engine suv?

all electric powered whatever?

the future of this planet is about to go into exponential mode. the one world government liberal fascist scheme is collapsing, the previous 4 presidents power base is dead except for the mop up, and that includes the central bank and government corruption that has siphoned off (guessing) around 80 percent of the total wealth to try to stay in control. Imagine if the economy gets a jump start that can build to 5 times its current level, and those funds can be used for health care that eliminates all disease and life extension to 150 years or more average, totally clean motive power that is beyond current wildest dreams, elimination of ALL corruption in government, banking, health care, military expenditures, food production, etc., etc., etc.

the explosion of confidence and inspiration of the planet's population would create an expansion that would put a lot of the wealth into the people's hands for the first time in history. they could buy what they want. this will create lots of opportunity for companies like gm.

the death of the well known controversial senator from arizona is purportedly the beginning of the cleanse that will blow most people's minds when it is revealed in its entirety. great times ahead, hold onto your hats.

great times for all, including gm and corvette, and so for those of us that like interesting machines.

(all of this in my opinion, of course, lol!)

Last edited by senah; 08-28-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

OK, great...thanx for sharing.
Now, can we get back to talking about the C8 Corvette?

Get notified of new replies

To Information on mid engine Vette

Quick Reply: Information on mid engine Vette