Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So is the C8 the beginning of the end of the glue smell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I think OP is referencing some threads from early in the C7 run posted IIRC in C7 Gen. And there were threads of folks complaining about this issue. Seems the complaints that surfaced early in the run waned over time. Perhaps GM changed its recipe for the adhesives, or application methods? I dunno. But, there were early complaints that largely went away.
I know the 2016 model had a very strong chemical smell that smelled like no other new car smell. Perhaps GM has fixed the issue in the newer models or maybe it's like the paint OP issue and some have very bad issues and some have tolerable issue. I do remember in last couple months issue of Car And Driver that their $141,000 tester "smells like Axis Chemicals". It does go away somewhat after time though.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Go sit in a new Honda for 10 minutes, when the headache and nausea goes away you wont mind the smell of your GM product. Its THAT bad-
Old 08-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Lot of internet sh*t talkers here and really not worth my time to reply back! Regardless, if you don't think it has it's own peculiar odor or if you like the smell then fine! However, there have been numerous threads about this issue in Corvette Forums and other publications. There is nothing wrong with trying to improve the Corvette in all aspects (not just performance) and it's a very good thing GM listens and is always trying to improve the Corvette!
LOL, people who disagree with your dramatic premise are "internet sh*t talkers"? Perhaps you should consider that your opinion may not be shared by the majority of Corvette owners, and your little rant about "glue" smell is rather troll-like.

There is no "glue"-like smell in my car. It just smells like every new car -- that is to say it smells awesome. If new car smell doesn't agree with you, buy a used one. I'm sure you can locate a good low-mileage car that was owned by a similar person who dislikes new car smell and left the windows down for a while in order to make it smell like every used car on the road.

Last edited by Speednet; 08-24-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:45 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

^^^ There is no problem with people disagreeing. Not everyone can agree on everything. We can disagree without too much sh*t talking imo but that is not the case all the time on this forum. The glue smell is real and has been well documented on Corvette's. It's not just a new car smell. Perhaps GM has fixed the issue in the last year or so but go read some of even recent reviews on publications and they are still complaining about it.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:57 AM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
^^^ There is no problem with people disagreeing. Not everyone can agree on everything. We can disagree without too much sh*t talking imo but that is not the case all the time on this forum. The glue smell is real and has been well documented on Corvette's. It's not just a new car smell. Perhaps GM has fixed the issue in the last year or so but go read some of even recent reviews on publications and they are still complaining about it.
Hello, Dave,

Possibly it varies from car to car due to more than one adhesive product brand being used on the assembly line. My 2014 3LT Z51 smelled so toxic, my wife wouldn't climb in until I had the windows down. Then once under way, with the climate control running, there was enough through-cabin air to make it tolerable. My 2017 3LT GS wasn't as bad (IMO) however still present and my wife often suggested that I should take it back to the dealer. In both cases the smell dissipated substantially by the end of the first year.

Another factor could be if the car spent many of its early days sitting in direct sunlight in the dealers lot, or delivered in a warmer climate, accelerating the curing/off-gassing of the volatile constituents of the adhesive.

Regardless, I experienced it twice and would sure hope it's figured out in the ME.

Best,
Joe

Last edited by copjsd; 08-24-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:56 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by copjsd
Hello, Dave,

Possibly it varies from car to car due to more than one adhesive product brand being used on the assembly line. My 2014 3LT Z51 smelled so toxic, my wife wouldn't climb in until I had the windows down. Then once under way, with the climate control running, there was enough through-cabin air to make it tolerable. My 2017 3LT GS wasn't as bad (IMO) however still present and my wife often suggested that I should take it back to the dealer. In both cases the smell dissipated substantially by the end of the first year.

Another factor could be if the car spent many of its early days sitting in direct sunlight in the dealers lot, or delivered in a warmer climate, accelerating the curing/off-gassing of the volatile constituents of the adhesive.

Regardless, I experienced it twice and would sure hope it's figured out in the ME.

Best,
Joe
Guys I have had multiple Corvette brand new . My 2014 C7 has strong adhesive smell that did went away over time but not completely.

My 2015 Z again had a adhesive smell but not as bad a the 2017

My 2016 Z Callaway sc757 has no smell but I do see the film on the interior glass.

I also have business partner who also is the owner of a Chevrolet dealership.

He order a 2016 Z06 and the smell was so bad GM sent out a rep who took some type of reading as she chemical smell was making my partner sick.

GM bought the car back due to the test result .

I don't know why some Vetts have the smell and other dont.

My 16 no problem and my partner 16 was so bad GM bought it back.

Basically identical cars except of Interior olor and mine had the Callaway package added.

So who know why some smell and others dont. I would say that my 2014 was definitely not a pleasant smell or a new car smell and it was a top of line 3lt interior in adrenaline red. Same as my 16 so who know??
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

My 2014 Stingray 3LT vert chemical smell was tolerable and did not last very long, when I purchased a 2018 GS 3LT vert the smell was much worse. I had to keep the windows down in the garage for at least a month prior to getting in, otherwise it was intolerable getting in with the windows closed. Hopefully, they will find a solution for the C8.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The C8 is NOT going to eliminate 'new car smell.' If anything, adhesives of all types will be increased. I don't believe it "cheapens" the car at all. But don't worry. If you want to restore that new car smell, you can! https://www.lanescarproducts.com/new-car-scent/
Old 08-25-2018, 08:22 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by copjsd
Hello, Dave,

Best,
Joe
Thanks Joe! I'm guessing the people that are calling it "just a new car smell" didn't buy the cars with this issue, maybe it's hit & miss? New car smells are amazing and that is one of the perks of buying a brand new car, but the Corvette's (or some of them at least) toxic odor is not pleasant.

Quick Reply: So is the C8 the beginning of the end of the glue smell?