Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 05:32 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts

NO.... you can't beat a Rolex! Greatest watches in the world! 😎

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

........alot of wisdom on this forum! First I am told my 911 is not worthy now my Rolex! I can’t wait to see what’s next.....hilarious and entertaining😎
Old 08-27-2018, 06:01 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by GrandSport223
Porsche is for old men! Then again the same could be said for Corvette... at least with the C7 Corvettes the age range is 30's to 60's. EVERY time I see one of those Porsche Boxsters its some old gray haired guy behind the wheel.
So you must live in a retirement community, like I do because this applies to both marquees here.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:33 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Porsche is for old men! Then again the same could be said for Corvette... at least with the C7 Corvettes the age range is 30's to 60's. EVERY time I see one of those Porsche Boxsters its some old gray haired guy behind the wheel.

Don't even go there... the stereotypes for Corvettes are every bit as bad, if not worse. That was the first thing EVERYONE teased me about when I traded my M3 for a Corvette. I love Corvettes and can't wait for the C8 but I'd bet that if you talk to younger people aspiring to an expensive sports car, Porsche will win that war. The C7 helped the cause a bit. The C8 might help it a lot but let's not pretend that the age (and gold chain) stereotype doesn't scream Corvette. The Boxster is similar because no one buys a Boxster unless they simply want a drop top experience... all the young guys want the GT cars

Last edited by gthal; 08-27-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

........alot of wisdom on this forum! First I am told my 911 is not worthy now my Rolex! I can’t wait to see what’s next.....hilarious and entertaining😎
NO.... you can't beat a Rolex! Greatest watches in the world! 😎
dudes, you’re reading it wrong... I was criticizing the Timex as an analogy to a Vette.

but I guess while we’re on the subject, you’re like my brother who’s heard of a Rolex and that’s it. (You’re between 25-45 yo right?) It’s fine. It’s flashy. It’s no Patek or Jaeger or CV or Audemars or Lange. It’s no Grand Seiko. But your Rolex is cool and shiny and retains value well...I’m glad you’re both happy with it.

it’s like cars... your 991 Carrera S is awesome and nice... but it’s no Ferrari 488, Mclaren P1, Bug Chiron, L aventador, right?

Btw 911 plus Rolex (i’d buy a Tudor automatic to avoid people saying there’s a dbag with a 911 + Rolex.) is the cliche from Bonfire of the Vanities! ... Hope you’re still learning !

Last edited by Parcival; 08-28-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Since I have had my C7 Grand Sport, i've had kids take their pictures with it. I have had young girls take their pictures with it. I've had a lot of people stop and look at this thing when I drive-by... this car gets almost as much of attention if not the same as a Lamborghini does... in the city I live in there's not very many C7 Corvette's around especially ones like mine. You see way more C5 and C6 Corvette's for sure. I've never driven a Porsche and quite frankly I really don't care to. Everybody's got their tastes in vehicles. And yes you're right the reason why I noticed there's way more old guys driving the Porsche Boxsters is the rag top is down and some old man behind the wheel wearing a baseball cap driving it with his 50-60 year old wife. I'll stick to me ride. 😎

Porsche doesn't compare even if they might be faster.

Originally Posted by gthal

Don't even go there... the stereotypes for Corvettes are every bit as bad, if not worse. That was the first thing EVERYONE teased me about when I traded my M3 for a Corvette. I love Corvettes and can't wait for the C8 but I'd bet that if you talk to younger people aspiring to an expensive sports car, Porsche will win that war. The C7 helped the cause a bit. The C8 might help it a lot but let's not pretend that the age (and gold chain) stereotype doesn't scream Corvette. The Boxster is similar because no one buys a Boxster unless they simply want a drop top experience... all the young guys want the GT cars

Last edited by GrandSport223; 08-27-2018 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MyDarkAngel (10-21-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Which One would you buy in 1970.....

Last edited by Viet Nam Vett; 08-27-2018 at 11:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Viet Nam Vett:
Brian VH McHale (08-28-2018), Telepierre (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:14 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Corvette hands down

UOTE=Viet Nam Vett;1597875862]Which One would you buy in 1970.....

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-27-2018, 11:26 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Running costs on porsches are quite a bit higher than corvettes. Service and repair costs out of warranty are a bloodbath with porsches.

gm validates its product with a 300k mile validation process meaning gm knows the likely hood of part failure and its associated costs and those costs are much more reasonable.

the germans design their products to push a perceieved quality image and outside of warranty good luck.

ill still with gm anyday of the week as im a sports car enthusiast who actually uses my sports cars as daily drivers...

weekend toys can afford to be low mileage garage toys like the porsche...but as a daily...ill choose corvette everytime,,,

jmo but since you asked......

and i admire and respect the porsche brand...

Last edited by JerriVette; 08-27-2018 at 11:27 PM.
I-SPEEED (09-16-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:00 AM
flyforfun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
From a specifications standpoint, the C8 will be far superior to a Porsche.

vs 911
- mid engine vs rear engine
- more power
- wishbones instead of struts
- much better price/performance

vs Boxster/Cayman
- way more power
- wishbones instead of struts
- much better price/performance
Superior to a Porsche? Lolzzzzz, now that is funny. One thing for sure, at least Porsche has kept the manual
Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 AM
GrandSport223
Racer

How do you know..? The C8 might be one of the most dominant super cars ever built. I still stand by my first statement though I would wait at least one or two years till they get all the bugs out.

Originally Posted by flyforfun

Superior to a Porsche? Lolzzzzz, now that is funny. One thing for sure, at least Porsche has kept the manual
Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

No word on corvette foregoing the manual on th C8.
lets see how it plays out.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by pietro c7

No word on corvette foregoing the manual on th C8.
lets see how it plays out.

I think they should name the Auto Trany the "New Mellential" Auto From what I have seen and driven in, the auto 8 speed is Sweet.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

In 1970 I'm buying this.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Yes,when it comes to performance, Corvettes are either superior or in the same class. Porsches have nicer interiors but not enough to justify the significantly higher purchase price, cost of parts/maintenance etc.

Base Corvette has faster lap times than base 911 for the past couple generations of both cars. Same with Z06 compared to the GT3.

​​​​Corvettes still come in manual too, FYI. Seems like youre just a fanboy troll here that doesnt know much about Corvette. Funny what naivity bran loyalty will cause. As for me, I'll switch brand hats in a heartbeat when somone makes a better proper sports car for the money.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 08-28-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Answer 2) is interesting, I was thinking about it all morning.

The 911 shape is so iconic, Porsche designers are stuck with that design if they want to keep the look. Plus its 2018 and we have all these regulations & safety restrictions, it has to be tough task for engineers. I think it’s amazing that Porsche has been able to make subtle changes without making it look that drastically different than previous 911. It’s one reason way the 911 is so successful.
I would argue the looks are why we still have the 911. It is iconic, but at the same time understated and not everyone's cup of tea. Porsche even almost abandoned it during the 80s. The 928 was supposed to be its successor but that didn't quite work out. So they had to go back to the well. And then in the 90s it sort of became an icon, starred in Bad Boys, and the rest is urban legend/status symbol.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
I think they should name the Auto Trany the "New Mellential" Auto From what I have seen and driven in, the auto 8 speed is Sweet.
No manual. Even Ferrari has abandoned the true manual. Love it or hate it, gotta let it go. Modern automatics are faster and more efficient.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

dudes, you’re reading it wrong... I was criticizing the Timex as an analogy to a Vette.

but I guess while we’re on the subject, you’re like my brother who’s heard of a Rolex and that’s it. (You’re between 25-45 yo right?) It’s fine. It’s flashy. It’s no Patek or Jaeger or CV or Audemars or Lange. It’s no Grand Seiko. But your Rolex is cool and shiny and retains value well...I’m glad you’re both happy with it.

it’s like cars... your 991 Carrera S is awesome and nice... but it’s no Ferrari 488, Mclaren P1, Bug Chiron, L aventador, right?

Btw 911 plus Rolex (i’d buy a Tudor automatic to avoid people saying there’s a dbag with a 911 + Rolex.) is the cliche from Bonfire of the Vanities! ... Hope you’re still learning !

.......I have learned your an ***.....not much more you can surprise me with at this point😜

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 08-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Yes,when it comes to performance, Corvettes are either superior or in the same class. Porsches have nicer interiors but not enough to justify the significantly higher purchase price, cost of parts/maintenance etc.

Base Corvette has faster lap times than base 911 for the past couple generations of both cars. Same with Z06 compared to the GT3.

​​​​Corvettes still come in manual too, FYI. Seems like youre just a fanboy troll here that doesnt know much about Corvette. Funny what naivity bran loyalty will cause. As for me, I'll switch brand hats in a heartbeat when somone makes a better proper sports car for the money.
You can't compare base to base. That's like comparing a base Les Paul to a base Playschool guitar. It doesn't make any sense. There is some argument to be made for comparing models of equal price. But more goes into a Porsche for luxury than a Vette so the price includes a lot of non-performance components. If you want to compare them fairly, match hp to hp and track setup to track setup for a fair comparison of performance.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
while we’re on the subject, you’re like my brother who’s heard of a Rolex and that’s it. (You’re between 25-45 yo right?) It’s fine. It’s flashy. It’s no Patek or Jaeger or CV or Audemars or Lange. It’s no Grand Seiko....your Rolex is cool and shiny and retains value well...I’m glad you’re both happy with it.

Btw 911 plus Rolex (i’d buy a Tudor automatic to avoid people saying there’s a dbag with a 911 + Rolex.) is the cliche from Bonfire of the Vanities!
​​​​​
.......I have learned your an ***.....not much more you can surprise me with at this point😜
awesome, u racked your car enthusiast Porsche fanboy brain and that was the best ?! I won’t need to call u names .. u sport a 911+ Rolex and think “sweet, I’ve made it”!

n.b it’s “you’re” not your

Last edited by Parcival; 08-28-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Sorry, but for the record, there is a lot of erroneous 911 history re interpretation and current state characterizations..

1. The Porsche 80s transition from RE to FE was dictated by validated cost and engineering requirements to counter
the raising ascent of cheaper and better performing sport imports (especially from Japan).
2. Although the Porsche engineers and managers were correct from a technical aspect, the European customers (very much bent on tradition) almost boycotted the entire new line and Porsche almost went belly up with poor sales on the new and cheaper FEs and poor sales of the old and slow REs.

3. That is when they reverted back to a "premium" 911 model which is what we have today.

However, considering that at that time a 911 was the de facto European "corvette" aka Bang for the buck.. if you talk to many old German Porsche purists, they will be the first ones to admit that the price of keeping the old architecture (and iconic) car going got out of hand... great leather notwithstanding... and to be clear (known industry fact) Porsche would not be here today if it wasn't for their SUVs!
ByByBMW (08-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?