Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
My neighbors love thier new 991.2 porsches...there are three on my block...lol

but even these multi millionaires are laughing at the prices porsche is charging...

they even admit its ridiculous...I know them for 25 years...I've been driving corvettes...they have been driving porsches...

they often consider the new corvettes but at the last minute their porsche dealer makes them a deal they cant refuse...

there seems to be a lot of leeway in porsche dealers pricing when they want to keep a customer.

or so thats what my neighbors seem to imply.

i like all sports cars so we have fun shooting the breeze or waving from time to time.

i think the wives like the idea of their husbands driving porsches more so than corvettes too so that aids in their decisions...i cant tell but i think thats part of it.

last year i was thinking porsche , jaguar f type v8 and of course staying with corvettes...

fwiw....my wife thought porsches were ugly..nice intial turn in with no engine up front was cool ...my wife loved the jaguar f thpe and was pushing for me to get simething different than a corvette ...lol

i offered to buy her one but she likes that cuv thing of sitting up high etc.

i drove all three sports cars in one day ....what can I say i like the raw rumble of the corvette and i like the stick shift...the jaguar was like a M5 dressed in a sexy 2 seat convertible,,,it is a pretty car but nooooo i dont think Id be happy with one even with the supercharged v8...people tend to stay with what they like ...most of us like corvettes,,,

ill lean towards the dct instead of another manual in the c8 just because the technology is so highly regarded ..what the hell one dct rear mid engine corvette before I die makes sense, the rumors of a rear mid engine corvette has been four decades in the making..just gotta buy one of those.

I believe there will be a lot of conquest sales with the upcoming c8.

i believe a lot of guys will go for the c8...

the price structures not a bend over experience like porsche...the rear mid engine, the four decades we all read about the rear mid engine coming ...lol before we all die we want to believe anything is possible.(kidding)

im sure the new 992 is an awesome sports car. Im sure the Porsche faithful will love it...i happen to like the 991.2 ..i think its a good looking car with a nice motor...im not sure the 992 is as pretty but i think its color dependent

the rear wing is weird but im sure it just takes time to get used to..
Very well said! I ordered and took museum delivery of a new 2015 c7 z51 7 spd with all the carbon fiber pieces and loved it. I was really looking to buy a new z06, but then decided I would like to try something else, which led me to the 911. I too looked at the Jaguar F Types and came to the same coclusion as you. I admit, in my eyes the Corvette is the sharper looking car and my wife felt the same way. However, after getting and spending some time in the 911 my wife prefers riding in it over the c7. It has better visibility, sound insulation, front end clearance, better interior build materials and fit and finish. All of which contribute to the driving experience. I feel the Corvette is a tremendous performance bargain that is the superior track vehicle, but in my opinion the 911 is the better daily driver while also being very competent on the track. Are 911’s over priced as compared to what you get in a Corvette.....probably so. But I feel all the exotics would fall into that same statement. Is the Porsche above a Corvette overall with price taken out of the equation.....to me, yes it is. In summary, I have enjoyed both cars for different reasons, but I favor my 991.2 2CS over my past C7 and would not make the switch back. However, I like many on this forum, look forward to the introduction of the C8 ME. If it is what it could be, I will be selling the 911 and ordering a new ME. I just wish I had the financial means of some on this forum so I could own each along with an exotic or two. Oh well.....back to work😏
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:38 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
You don't have to be rich to buy a Porsche. Same could be said for the Corvette. Sure a lot of owners are very well off, but most are upper middle class for both cars. You do have to be very comfortable financially though for both cars but from what I read and see there are a lot of "car poor" people owning both Porsche's and Corvette's.
Originally Posted by Dr. ice

Average household income for a new C7 buyer is $133,000 as compared to $310,000 for a new 911 buyer.
A $310K family income is far from what I think is "rich" these days. If you live in any major city in North America and make that much money, at least you can afford to buy a house and have a nice car. In some cities, that would be a stretch with real estate values these days!!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Pontiac Fiero was decades ago, as some pointed out.

pontiac and chevy: 2 vastly different R&D budgets and engineering capabilities... not even close of a coomparison. Corvette level of effort and investment vs... Pontiac. LoL

speaking of R&D, 1980 engine tech can’t be used to judge today’s efforts I. ME capability. Even 1980’s eta ME from the experts of the era don’t compare to today’s offerings.

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Instead of a M/E Corvette? GM and mid engine have sort of an oil and water ring to it for me. Why not buy from a Company who has been doing M/E for decades now. No matter how pretty the Corvette M/E might be, its last cousin was a Fiero, think about it.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
A $310K family income is far from what I think is "rich" these days. If you live in any major city in North America and make that much money, at least you can afford to buy a house and have a nice car. In some cities, that would be a stretch with real estate values these days!!
“Rich” is a very relative term. However, with the US national income average of about $55,000 and the top 1% earning about $390,000 or more it’s easy to see why someone making $310,000 could be considered rich by many people’s standards and position in life. Even in a city, the percentage making $300,000 plus would be few. Many of us on this forum would be considered rich by many of the people in our respective communities, but it’s my guess we don’t consider ourselves to be “rich”. Now if your talking 1 percent of the 1 percent that’s a different story.
gthal (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:26 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

I actually saw a burgundy fiero coming the opposite direction the other day - I havent seen one of those in a ton of years - my brother had a two tone silver one a ton of years ago - they were cool little cars

Last edited by rsvette12; 09-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:04 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
But the radio volume **** in the Cayman has such a nice, silky feel.
I know you're joking, but I have read many who talk about how much more upscale buttons, switches, and ***** make a car.
Maybe so, it's not for me to decide.
If Manufacturers were SMART they would listen to these comments and spend an extra 20 bucks on buttons, *****, etc. and come up away with a 911 or Audi Spyder or whatever.
Originally Posted by Dr. ice
please clarify. Looks like a flaw in an Americans character to me.
No, I'm not going to bite.

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-22-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I know you're joking, but I have read many who talk about how much more upscale buttons, switches, and ***** make a car.
If Manufacturers were SMART they would listen to these comments and spend an extra 20 bucks on buttons, *****, etc. and come up away with a 911 or Audi Spyder or whatever.
Not sure if 20 bucks would cut it.

Just the radio volume **** for my 2009 Audi A6 is $65 from the dealer.
No, I did not buy one.
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad

No, I did not buy one.
Bingo! and to make sunsalem point. It costs audi $7 dollars +/- a few to make that **** but people pay $65 because that is the aspirational value some customers associate to it....and Audi makes more margin on pretty trinkets than more power or more reliability (for example)..

Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Bingo! and to make sunsalem point. It costs audi $7 dollars +/- a few to make that **** but people pay $65 because that is the aspirational value some customers associate to it....and Audi makes more margin on pretty trinkets than more power or more reliability (for example)..
Core value vs aspirational value:
At my core, I don’t believe in paying several times the cost of dealer invoice for a car related item or paying over $200k for a car that goes slower than a GM car around a track lap (caveat is I don’t give two ****** abt 0-60 or quarter mile times or else I’d buy an electric car or a Top Fuel dragster).
I aspire to make more $ so that I don’t have to worry abt the price tag of things but I doubt I’ll ever change at my core !

sunday drive time

Last edited by Parcival; 09-23-2018 at 11:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Parcival:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018), I-SPEEED (09-25-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Parcival

Core value vs aspirational value:
At my core, I don’t believe in paying several times the cost of dealer invoice for a car related item or paying over $200k for a car that goes slower than a GM car around a track lap (caveat is I don’t give two ****** abt 0-60 or quarter mile times or else I’d buy an electric car or a Top Fuel dragster).
I aspire to make more $ so that I don’t have to worry abt the price tag of things but I doubt I’ll ever change at my core !

sunday drive time
LOL! and thanks.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad

No, I did not buy one.
that doesn't mean the parts cost Audi even 1/10th of that.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

that doesn't mean the parts cost Audi even 1/10th of that.
The point is that if one desires a higher grade of interior materials and finishes, one should expect to pay more for them.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I think if you added all lifetime ownership costs, that a Porsche that competes in lap times with a Corvette, probably costs 2x as much $. That's a hell of a cost to pay for some nicer controls.

The previous owner really did up the interior of my C6, where it's pretty darn nice, I don't think he spent more than about $4K doing it aftermarket.

I don't see the value on the P product but I'll freely admit, that's partly because the models I am drawn to are just out of my budget entirely.
ArmchairArchitect (09-27-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:49 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Well....I'll answer the ORIGINAL question.
I am not interested in a Porsche. They are great cars, no question, but I am happy with my C7 (my 5th Corvette), and assuming the C8 is what I THINK it will be, I will buy one.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
ByByBMW (09-28-2018), jcsperson (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I don't know if you've been in a Lexus LC500, but that car is THE benchmark for button/**** quality and feel, let alone its incredible overall interior quality. That's the kind of luxury I want from Cadillac, but it wouldn't hurt to see it in a Corvette.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:31 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
I don't know if you've been in a Lexus LC500, but that car is THE benchmark for button/**** quality and feel, let alone its incredible overall interior quality. That's the kind of luxury I want from Cadillac, but it wouldn't hurt to see it in a Corvette.
Weight! Weight! Weight!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Where I live, seven figures gets you about 3,000 sq. ft. on a quarter of an acre, a two car garage, and that's about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33

Pretty sure the Volvo XC90 is the current benchmark for interior quality.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:43 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A lot of great luxury in that picture. Where is the Sport?!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:21 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Pretty sure the Volvo XC90 is the current benchmark for interior quality.
XC90 is definitely nice (the wife has one), but it accomplishes the luxury feel in a different way. It is very elegant and simple in layout, uses nice materials, and has a definite Scandinavian feel (mostly in terms of the straightforward layout).

The Lexus definitely has a Japanese flair, with many intersecting surfaces and lines (like origami). Also has great material choices and cool gizmos (not sure if it still has the moving instrument panel like the LFA, but that was really slick).

I think they both do a very good job.

I think Cadillac was killing it with their concept cars from the last few year (Ciel, Elmiraj, Escala), but they haven't done much in that direction. Doing something more like those cars would really have put them back in the game IMO.

Would be great to see Cadillac working on the details like switch feel, materials, etc, which maybe could then trickle down to the Vette, rather than having something from the Cavalier "trickle up".

-T

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?