Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

There seems to be PLENTY of people buying 150K ZR1s that could have opted for a nice GT3 for what...50 dollars extra month?!
C'mon guys...it is 2018... have to let go on the affordability/class thing...

People of all pockets and backgrounds buy Corvettes because they are deemed a competitive product at many levels. Simple as that. It's called competitive market.
The following 2 users liked this post by Telepierre:
ArmchairArchitect (12-12-2018), DaveFerrari458 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

How is this thread still alive?
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Porsche fans did not get the Christmas MEMO and won't give up...

Last edited by Telepierre; 12-12-2018 at 08:02 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Porsches are cool but i chose an alfa stelvio ti sport for the family transport...

i love this sport cuv ...my friend , my dentist who I hooked up with a new corvette c7 grand sport got his wife the porsche macan....its nice but do I like it better than the alfa? Nope...

was it a question of money? Not at the time ...but hearing what he ended up paying....even he was laughing...

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

I guess I could have been referred to as a Corvette fanboy when I ordered my new C7 if you were to view my older posts. It was an awesome car and I loved it. However, I wanted to experience something different so I purchased a 2017 911 C2S with RAS rather than a Z06 as I had originally planned. In MY opinion, the 911 has better strajght line performance than my Z51 had with Magride. It also has better front end clearance, better visibility, better sound insulation, better ride and superior fit and finish. These are all traits I personally appreciate in a sports car. Do I prefer the current 911 over any C7......yes I do. Am I a Porsche fanboy in the sense I would never buy anything else......definitely not! I will buy a new C8 if they meet MY criteria. If not, I will be heading to a Porsche dealership to buy a new 992. No Corvette hater here and not a fanboy of either brand. However, I do understand this is a Corvette forum of which I have been a member of for a few years, so I know their are fanboys on here as on any forum. But there are also people on a variety of forums that can appreciate more than one marquee and that’s the category I fall into. Everyone else is welcome to make their own decisions and purchase what makes them happy.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-12-2018 at 09:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
ByByBMW (12-12-2018), Dez’sC7 (12-12-2018), Mopar Jimmy (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
I guess I could have been referred to as a Corvette fanboy when I ordered my new C7 if you were to view my older posts. It was an awesome car and I loved it. However, I wanted to experience something different so I purchased a 2017 911 C2S with RAS rather than a Z06 as I had originally planned. In MY opinion, the 911 has better strajght line performance than my Z51 had with Magride. It also has better front end clearance, better visibility, better sound insulation, better ride and superior fit and finish. These are all traits I personally appreciate in a sports car. Do I prefer the current 911 over any C7......yes I do. Am I a Porsche fanboy in the sense I would never but anything else......definitely not! I will buy a new C8 if they meet MY criteria. If not, I will be heading to a Porsche dealership to buy a new 992. No Corvette hater here and not a fanboy of either brand. However, I do understand this is a Corvette forum of which I have been a member of for a few years, so I know their are fanboys on here as on any forum. But there are also people on a variety of forums that can appreciate more than one marquee and that’s the category I fall into. Everyone else is welcome to make their own decisions and purchase what makes them happy.
I'm like you. I have owned a wide range of performance cars and have spent lots of hours on a track with each of them. A number of M2/M3/M4's, the C7, a C63 AMG and the GT4. Really liked all of them and they all had great characteristics. I have decided that for track use, I prefer a ME car feel... that's why I'm excited about the C8. If the C8 is everything I hope it will be then it will replace my GT4. If it's not (or it's overpriced for what it is) then I will likely stay with the GT car of some sort.

The challenge for GM will be if the C8 is the same price as cars like the GT3, R8, etc. If it is, I think GM will have a hard time. The ZR1 is different... they don't sell a lot of them and they are gonzo performance. However, the C8 (excluding the Z06/ZR1 variants if any) won't compete well with luxury euro brands at the same price point. GM will sell a ton of cars and eat Porsche's for lunch with the C8 in the $80K range. At the $150K range it better be a ZR1 variant otherwise most buyers in that market will just get a GT3 or equivalent regardless of performance. Obviously there will be exceptions to this but until the C8 can establish a brand image similar to higher end performance cars it can't compete there on price. Like it or not, for many buyers this matters... maybe not as much on a Corvette forum but in the market it does. My bet would be 8 out of 10 high income, young professionals/business owners looking to buy his/her first high performance car would pick the GT3 over the C8 if the price is the same unless they are already a die hard Corvette enthusiast to start with. Hopefully, the C8 continues to shift the brand profile of the car.

My bet is the C8 comes to us with better performance and a better price than the Porsche comparables with high build quality and fit/finish. Then, if someone isn't blinded by a badge, you would pick the C8 all day, every day. I can't wait to own the C8

Last edited by gthal; 12-12-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Dr. ice (12-15-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You guys are truly flat heart-ers and it's amazing reading your verbal contortions to condescendingly portray the Corvette brand as the "little chu-chu" that can but ought to stay in it's little market little corner... content of that humble place bestowed by the teutonic overpriced beetles (911 and R8 BOTH) of the world. I would not wish any marketing department even a minimum of exposures to some of this BRILLIANT marketing analysis (aka pontification) taking place from some of you..

SO back in real world...the AWESOME and UNTOUCHABLE R8 sold so poorly it is slated for cancellation!! https://www.motorbeam.com/audi-r8-di...to-poor-sales/

I am just waiting for the next shoe to drop off... ;-)
DaveFerrari458 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
THanks for sharing your photof your porsche turbo. The corvette and the porsche 911 have been embattled competitors for almost 60 years...

definitely choose the one that suits your desires most.
The battle has raged on. And depending on perspective, determining a winner is difficult. Prestige, Porsche. Value, Corvette. Performance, depends on model. Reliability, depends on model. Build quality, Porsche. Resale, Porsche. Looks, depends on model. Ease of repair, Corvette.

In many ways its like choosing speakers, Bose v. Sony. Bose has their 'signature' sound that comes with a lot of prestige, but there is nothing inherently better about it. Sony has a wider range of options, some good some bad, guaranteed to have better bass but also may end up with a more muffled sound and cheaper fit and finish.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 12-12-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Telepierre
You guys are truly flat heart-ers and it's amazing reading your verbal contortions to condescendingly portray the Corvette brand as the "little chu-chu" that can but ought to stay in it's little market little corner... content of that humble place bestowed by the teutonic overpriced beetles (911 and R8 BOTH) of the world. I would not wish any marketing department even a minimum of exposures to some of this BRILLIANT marketing analysis (aka pontification) taking place from some of you..

SO back in real world...the AWESOME and UNTOUCHABLE R8 sold so poorly it is slated for cancellation!! https://www.motorbeam.com/audi-r8-di...to-poor-sales/

No one is dissing the Corvette so I don’t know why your panties get in such a wad. You consistently feel the need to bad mouth anyone who has a different opinion than you. If you choose to have a $150k Corvette in your garage that’s your choice. I am glad you think it’s the best thing going since apple pie.....as you should. However, their is no right or wrong answer here. It’s simply what the buyer likes best. My advice to you is open to the possibility that people have their own thoughts and it doesn’t make them wrong to be different than yours. No need to be constantly combative with your comments. I would personally like to know if you have ever owned a 911 or C7. If so, was the 911 the most current model since that is your reference point for the C7 despite the fact you are a current C6 owner. Either you have had a really bad experience with a 911 or you have never owned and lived with one. I feel like I am in a Chevy truck vs Ford debate. Thank goodness, most people on this forum can debate without getting personal or degrading in their remarks.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-12-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Mopar Jimmy (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 01:33 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

and what does your drivel have to do with Porsche?

Most people in here have the brain capacity to like more than one make of car, you obviously do not.

Last edited by themonk; 12-12-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

No one is dissing the Corvette so I don’t know why your panties get in such a wad. You consistently feel the need to bad mouth anyone who has a different opinion than you. If you choose to have a $150k Corvette in your garage that’s your choice. I am glad you think it’s the best thing going since apple pie.....as you should. However, their is no right or wrong answer here. It’s simply what the buyer likes best. My advice to you is open to the possibility that people have their own thoughts and it doesn’t make them wrong to be different than yours. No need to be constantly combative with your comments. I would personally like to know if you have ever owned a 911 or C7. If so, was the 911 the most current model since that is your reference point for the C7 despite the fact you are a current C6 owner. Either you have had a really bad experience with a 911 or you have never owned and lived with one. I feel like I am in a Chevy truck vs Ford debate. Thank goodness, most people on this forum can debate without getting personal or degrading in their remarks.
Reads rather disingenuous as if you are used to exercise the freedom to post on the corvette forum without rebuttals. To even insinuate I may be "triggered" by you or anybody dissing the Corvette is preposterous the least. I invite you to my 1000+ posts...and I'll cut it short:
you contribute to the CF and I contribute to the CF and there are always the moderators should you deem my entries overtly bad mouth-ish.

Like alluded by Ferrari 458... I find it particularly disconcerting "some" 911 owners (in this particular thread) are conspicuously mis-informed on the real capabilities of their own car (911S 3.1s = 2x ROLF) yet feel compelled to express pseudo- authoritatively the inherent limitations of the Corvette.

In short- don't look at it as "bad mouthing"...look at it as doing you a favor and nudging you & Co. to reality...
Old 12-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Reads rather disingenuous as if you are used to exercise the freedom to post on the corvette forum without rebuttals. To even insinuate I may be "triggered" by you or anybody dissing the Corvette is preposterous the least. I invite you to my 1000+ posts...and I'll cut it short:
you contribute to the CF and I contribute to the CF and there are always the moderators should you deem my entries overtly bad mouth-ish.

Like alluded by Ferrari 458... I find it particularly disconcerting "some" 911 owners (in this particular thread) are conspicuously mis-informed on the real capabilities of their own car (911S 3.1s = 2x ROLF) yet feel compelled to express pseudo- authoritatively the inherent limitations of the Corvette.

In short- don't look at it as "bad mouthing"...look at it as doing you a favor and nudging you & Co. to reality...
You may wish to own a C7 and 911 before you become the forum expert. Until then, you are simply an ill informed CF poster with an ego driven attitude.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You may wish to own a C7 and 911 before you become the forum expert. Until then, you are simply an ill informed CF poster with an ego driven attitude.
I'll give it a thought and until then... cheers!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

I'll give it a thought and until then... cheers!
I will put in a Santa request for you as well!

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Dez’sC7
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I have both. They are both amazing cars. Some days I like driving my Vette. Some days I like driving my Porsche. I get a different experience from each car and that’s how it should be. If I could only have 1 it would be a very difficult decision.
The following 6 users liked this post by Dez’sC7:
ArmchairArchitect (12-13-2018), bgspot (12-13-2018), DaveFerrari458 (12-12-2018), Dr. ice (12-13-2018), Mopar Jimmy (12-12-2018), vrybad (12-12-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-12-2018, 11:44 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Dez’sC7
I have both. They are both amazing cars. Some days I like driving my Vette. Some days I like driving my Porsche. I get a different experience from each car and that’s how it should be. If I could only have 1 it would be a very difficult decision.
I can imagine it as you say, one day, you want to drive one, the next day, the other.
Completely agree.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by themonk
1. and what does your drivel have to do with Porsche?

2. Most people in here have the brain capacity to like more than one make of car, you obviously do not.
1. Everything. The pursuit of market share by "marketing upscale" and forgetting to actually deliver real content OR making up performance attributes (see GT2RS fake ring record).

2. I though I was the bad mouther?! :-) Read the title of this thread. It is about two cars (right?). One belongs to this forum. The other is the subject of this discussion.

So I put forth rational pro and cons.. but let I dare I find true demeanors for the 911 (arguably still the most appealing butt" out there BTW) and you cry foul and accuse me of not having the brain power to forcibly like both??

I like many cars. I own few cars. I have owned few cars. I experience many cars by virtue of my profession.

Off topic but just to make a point:

My next 2 seater 2020 likely purchase preference (pending new introductions I am not aware of):

1. AMG GT (with discount) IF C7 Z06 discontinued. (I like what I see in the C8 so far. Purchasing challenge remains trunk/travel space...)
2. Jaguar F-Type SVR
3. Camaro ZL1

Cheers.
Signed
Brain deficient..

Last edited by Telepierre; 12-13-2018 at 04:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:37 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

My next 2 seater 2020 likely purchase preference (pending new introductions I am not aware of):

1. AMG GT (with discount) IF C7 Z06 discontinued. (I like what I see in the C8 so far. Purchasing challenge remains trunk/travel space...)
2. Jaguar F-Type SVR
3. Camaro ZL1

Cheers.
Signed
Brain deficient..
The Camaro is a 4 seater, did you mean to include that in your choice of 2 seat cars?

Last edited by ByByBMW; 12-13-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
The Camaro is a 4 seater, did you mean to include that in your choice of 2 seat cars?
The 911 is a 4 seater as well - theoretically...…. ;-)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:59 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The 911 is a 4 seater as well - theoretically...…. ;-)
True, but then you didn't mention the 911 so I didn't.

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?