Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 12:50 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

The Corvette is American muscularity.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:51 PM
kmjs
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just sold my Turbo S for I didn't want to get any deeper with that thing when repairs started. I didn't confirm,but was told that rotors were 5k and a set of magnesium center lock wheels was 48k. That's just an insult to my intelligence. But it was fast.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by kmjs
I just sold my Turbo S for I didn't want to get any deeper with that thing when repairs started. I didn't confirm,but was told that rotors were 5k and a set of magnesium center lock wheels was 48k. That's just an insult to my intelligence. But it was fast.
Is that how much center lock racing wheels normally cost?? Does that include the adaptors/mounts to the axles?
Old 09-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

911 in my area is 8% off MSRP all day long unless it’s a GT or special variant. My 15 Cayman GTS had 514 miles it was titled and returned from a customer waiting for his 911 Turbo, the GTS was MSRP 91k I walked out before tax 67k and it was CPO.

Porsche is a luxury brand Corvette on its own is too but at a lower scale. Does Porsche have cars around the Corvette MSRP sure but the dealer experience alone is like a high end steakhouse to Bonanza with Chevrolet. Sorry no horse in the race I have owned many of both products and the Porsche is higher on the luxury scale. One big thing that hurts the Corvette it’s under the Chevrolet badge. I loved my 15 Z06 but the quality of the interior was still behind my 15 Cayman GTS, both had similar MSRP 90kish.

Performance the Z slaughter the GTS it was Not even in the same league, you would need to compare it to a GT3 or GT4. I believe the new ME will close this gap, but GM will always be behind when it comes to Dealership after sales and perception. When you walk into a Porsche store the least expensive car is 55k walk into a Chevrolet dealer it’s half of that number. Okay don’t blast away as I am on the list since 1/16 and can’t wait to get my ME.

IMO cars are getting crazy expensive and Porsche has lost their minds I was at the dealer yesterday they had a new 718 Cayman S loaded up to 114k. Lol that person will loose their A when they trade that one in.

I can't match your buying experiences. The one Porsche experience I mentioned was in May this year in Bridgeport WV. It could be age too, but the fancies around a product (aka dealership) don't have much effect on me as I know I can't walk out with them. I simply focus on the "product" and it's all been said very well above. Personally and as a product, I feel I know too much about 911s, the history, the manufacturing and the marketing to really appreciate the product at current price point. Vis a vis a corvette it is the promised 1st class wagon you have heard about so much but when you finally get to it you realize the leather and buttons are better but the rest is exactly like the second class you have ridden in all along...and for the ride is actually worse but hey! just frigging more expensive so it must be better...
Old 09-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
If you read any Porsche forums, the upcoming 992 is not being well received. Being called the "Panamera Coupe", the car moving away from its sports car roots. Truth be told, if McClaren came out with a "stripper" car at the $100K price point, alot of the 911 faithful would now make the jump. Whether the C8 can attract some of these disaffected Porsche people is yet to be known.
like any change, some support it while others don’t. It’s no different on the c7 forum with the introduction of each generation. Remember the stupid debate on the shape of the rear lights......let alone changing the position of the engine. Those that have the money can select between a ME or Porsche as they wish or have both. The fanboys will stick with their cars and think they are the best whether they are or not. Somethings never change. My opinion is, Porsche currently makes the superior car.....granted at a higher price. Porsche is the car GM also bench marks with Corvette development......which is really as far as you need to look to see what GM sees as their aspirational target.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

like any change, some support it while others don’t. It’s no different on the c7 forum with the introduction of each generation. Remember the stupid debate on the shape of the rear lights......let alone changing the position of the engine. Those that have the money can select between a ME or Porsche as they wish or have both. The fanboys will stick with their cars and think they are the best whether they are or not. Somethings never change. My opinion is, Porsche currently makes the superior car.....granted at a higher price. Porsche is the car GM also bench marks with Corvette development......which is really as far as you need to look to see what GM sees as their aspirational target.
You are right, some things never change..

like the perpetrated myth/untruth that GM or Corvette sees Porsche/911 as they aspirational target.
Truth is Tadge has been historically gracious to the 911 describing the car as versatile and reliable but at C6 intro Jim Mero was confronted with the direct "do you aspirationally design Corvettes to 911s?s Answer: lapsed architecture years ago..

Tadge intro C7 Q&A with C&D. Same question. Answer: C7 at idle has more torque than 911 max... next question!

Just saying,,,
Old 09-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Telepierre
You are right, some things never change..

like the perpetrated myth/untruth that GM or Corvette sees Porsche/911 as they aspirational target.
Truth is Tadge has been historically gracious to the 911 describing the car as versatile and reliable but at C6 intro Jim Mero was confronted with the direct "do you aspirationally design Corvettes to 911s?s Answer: lapsed architecture years ago..

Tadge intro C7 Q&A with C&D. Same question. Answer: C7 at idle has more torque than 911 max... next question!

Just saying,,,
I have had both and understand the C7 has higher torque numbers. I also know a current generation 911s will out accelerate a regular 460 hp c7 0-60 and through the quarter mile. With a top end of 190 plus the 911 more than holds its own. The only place a C7 will perhaps excel is on the track.....and then it will be a drivers race. Fit and finish is also better on the Porsche. .......and GM did buy a 911 that was used as a benchmark in developing the C7.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:58 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

he only place a C7 will perhaps excel is on the track...
And the sticker by a large margin.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcsperson
And the sticker by a large margin.
I agree. The 911 is more expensive than a Corvette, as are a lot of other sports cars. I will be the first to say that the current C7 is a tremendous performance bargain, But that does not make it the better all around sports car. Think what GM could accomplish if they pushed Corvettes into the 100k-200k plus range. I personally would like to see the C8 ME step up in all around quality and increase the price as necessary. Coming from a GM family and qualifying for Employee pricing I have had a ton of GM cars. However, I never had a desire to purchase a Corvette until the C7 came out. Until then, the interiors always looked like a sea of plastic to me. I truly hope the C8 continues improving quality as well as performance....and I am sure that will occur. If so, my 911 will be for sale and I will be purchasing a ME. If not, I will purchase a new 992.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:20 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

911s evolved from a stripped / sports car version of a Volkswagen.

In the mid sixties I owned a Chevrolet Corvair Monza Turbo that had better suspension than a Porsche and could hold its own against them.

Porsche tried, unsuccessfully, to discontinue the 911 due to the inherent limitations of the rear engine layout. They were not successful mostly because an uninformed public continued to want them.

Within 3-4 years the 911 will be a mid engine design or it will sell in severely limited quantities to people that care much more about status than automotive design and performance.

There is an important physical difference (i.e. laws of physics difference) between a mid engine car and a rear engine car. Also, between a strut suspension vs a wishbone suspension.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have had both and understand the C7 has higher torque numbers. I also know a current generation 911s will out accelerate a regular 460 hp c7 0-60 and through the quarter mile. With a top end of 190 plus the 911 more than holds its own. The only place a C7 will perhaps excel is on the track.....and then it will be a drivers race. Fit and finish is also better on the Porsche. .......and GM did buy a 911 that was used as a benchmark in developing the C7.

Got it. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by jimmyb
You're joking, right?
The Fiero went out of production 30 years ago. I can't believe the Fiero is even brought up. This is like saying I won't buy a C7 because it has an aluminum block engine and we know how the Vega turned out.
Happy and Pissed...First, thanks for the belly laugh, second, i laughed so hard i spilled my beverage on my MAC. Sad but true!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:42 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I personally would like to see the C8 ME step up in all around quality and increase the price as necessary.
I hope they don't price it out of the reach of regular Joes like me. If the C8 has 500+ hp and a 2LT Z51 comes in at around $80K, I'm a buyer. If it's significantly more than that, I'll be driving my C7 GS for a long time.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I hope they don't price it out of the reach of regular Joes like me. If the C8 has 500+ hp and a 2LT Z51 comes in at around $80K, I'm a buyer. If it's significantly more than that, I'll be driving my C7 GS for a long time.
Its my bet you will be driving a new C8. I personally don’t see the Corvette having any significant price increases. I think they would lose more clients then they would gain. 👍
Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 PM
RikJamez
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this : Rep from largest U.S. Porsche dealer ( Just so happens to be in ... FLORIDA ! ( SURPRISE ! )) SKIPS with 2.5 million in customer deposits ! :

https://jalopnik.com/a-rep-from-the-...ski-1829066180

j/k ....

R. J. ( Unabashed Floriduh Native )

Last edited by RikJamez; 09-16-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 PM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Most guys who are enthusiasts buy corvettes not for the image to others but rather what the corvette offers in driving fun at a ridiculously reasonable price..

you want to impress others by all means buy or better yet lease a porsche...or ferrari or a lambo or R8...

you want to laugh your @ss off driving an amazingly fast and extremely capable sports car...buy a corvette..

for thise that simply want to impress themselves the corvette is a great choice...

nobody buys a corvette to impress others...with the exception that those that know what a corvette can do...they are already impressed with the car...

for those that are impressed with expensive things...they will never be impressed with corvettes...as they are relatively inexpensive in the world of 190 mph road rockets capable of pulling 1.0 lateral g s..accelerating to 60 mph in under four seconds etc...

decide..if you want to impress others or yourself...

if its impress yourself then buy a corvette...

if its others..lease a porsche ...

btw most girls arent impressed with porsches either...in fact cars in general in the land of leasing, sports cars mean very little to women...

they just want their gucci bag etc..

The only person most of us should impress is ourselves...

who cares what others think...and if the german or italian so called higher perceived quality is important...buy one of those other brands and we will congratulate you on your purchase...

no hard feelings...to each his own..

And how much do I owe you for the visit Dr. Jerri?
Old 09-16-2018, 11:16 PM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19

That very well may be true. In reality, 0-60 and quarter times are for bragging rights for most car buyers. Very few serious racers in the aging Corvette and Porsche crowd😏. I don’t think you can dispute either car isn’t a quick and fast car by most people’s standards. A lot of hair splitting takes place on this forum as well as Rennlist. Very entertaining if you don’t get too serious about it. At the end of the day we are talking about cars. Not very damn important in the scheme of life.....at least for me it’s not!
I don't know if you're a real MD, DO or hopeless Mid-Level. I own several assets Including a medical practice and have been on this forum for almost 15 years without mentioning it or other assets I own. What I do find funny and empirical is this: if you really are a dx clinician, you're the genesis of the HTN or high blood pressure you have induced in a lot of people here. If fact, you personally have kept me entertained that I cannot even watch "OZARK". Take a look at my photo albums, I have toys.... German and American and I am torn between buying a ZR1 now or waiting for the untested (YIKES) M.E. vette.
The following 2 users liked this post by I-SPEEED:
Parcival (09-16-2018), Telepierre (09-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 09-16-2018, 11:38 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion

In the mid sixties I owned a Chevrolet Corvair Monza Turbo that had better suspension than a Porsche and could hold its own against them.

Porsche tried, unsuccessfully, to discontinue the 911 due to the inherent limitations of the rear engine layout. They were not successful mostly because an uninformed public continued to want them.

Within 3-4 years the 911 will be a mid engine design or it will sell in severely limited quantities to people that care much more about status than automotive design and performance.

There is an important physical difference (i.e. laws of physics difference) between a mid engine car and a rear engine car. Also, between a strut suspension vs a wishbone suspension.
If Porsche keeps selling them, they will keep building them. While the engine is not in the optimal location, credit has to be given to Porsche with how well they have refined this "compromise" platform.
The following users liked this post:
PurpleLion (09-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 PM
2019C7
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 911, just bought ‘19 GS. I’m much more comfortable getting thumbs up instead of the single digit salute....and the classic vinyl station on satellite is a much better match to the Corvette persona, just sayin.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:51 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion

There is a lot of misinformation and crap here.

First, there is no debate a ME is likely a better platform than a RE car. However, tell the folks lapping the 'Ring in their GT2 RS that they don't care about design or performance. The GT3 and GT2 are pretty much at the top of the performance spectrum. Could Porsche accomplish even more with a ME car? Sure but let's not engage in silliness here by suggesting a 911 isn't an incredibly capable car. IIRC, the GT2 RS laps the 'Ring faster than a ZR1. Yes, it's more expensive but it's also more capable. You are talking about RE cars from 20 years ago... not modern 911's.

Maybe a 911 will morph into a ME (or maybe the Cayman will replace it... but very unlikely) but Porsche still has a bit a breathing room with their 6:47 laptime until maybe the C8 Z has a chance to catch up or best it.

Last edited by gthal; 09-17-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?