Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
This article, https://www.caradvice.com.au/587564/...ng-lap-record/ , has the VP of Porsche Motorsport saying otherwise.
That is a crock of BS. The GT2RS was using their custom fabricated tire for that ring run and many others including the Motor Trend BDC test. I had a nice explanation by Ken Gould of Porsche N.A. from Atlanta that the Michelin Cup 2R on the GT2RS is a one off specific tire for that car only. It was designed relative to the front and rear weight ratios of the car, torque characteristics of the engine, horsepower characteristics of the car, and aero downforce, etc. That tire will only be available for that model after market and they will only offer standard higher mileage run flats to customers. If I remember correctly he said customers will be able to buy them next year through Michelin but not through Porsche. A separate version of that tire was also used on the GT3RS that set the Ring record 6:57. If I remember correctly he said the GT3 tire was specific to itself. I guess it's possible that Michelin made two ringer tires for the GT2RS and the GT3RS, but wow, what a expense just to set those ring times. Also, Randy drove the ZR1 with the PTM turned off, but left those controls on for the other three cars. Odd, and then he complained that it had too much power and had a tough time getting traction coming out of the slower corners. I was standing next to Matt Satchell (ZR1 development engineer), Ron Kiino, and the ZR1 mechanic from GM and we all just looked at each other wondering why Pobst turned the PTM off when Matt recommended MT to leave it on. The ZR1 also had the optional Cold Air Intake for a full 772hp so putting down all that power with the PTM turned off seemed strange and unusual. There was a crowd of people around him and they were filming his observations of each car as he finished with each car's hot lap. It's interesting how Motor Trend portrays this tire situation.

Last edited by skank; 10-24-2018 at 12:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
ArmchairArchitect (10-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I was at the Motor Trend test. Porsche was using the special race rubber(non stock race rubber) that was also used on the Nurburgring run. The GT2 RS, 720S, and Lambo were all using their special rubber and the ZR1 was using their standard stock runflat tire. The ZR1 was the only one of the four cars using runflats in the test. Pobst also turned off the nannies on the ZR1 but left them on for the other three cars. Strange !!! Porsche's tires are not available for sale on the GT2 RS production car. They will evidently be available aftermarket in time. The whole test was strange in how they portrayed the outcome.
Thats cool you were there!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

Thats cool you were there!
Wish I could have been there.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
The 911 looks like a frog and it is only an evolution of the Beetle (German name Kdf Wagen) born during the WWII. Compared to a Vette, it looks like a baby car. My "Porchist" friends are impressed by the visual sensation of my Vette
I will take my Frog 2012, 911 Turbo S, and put it up against any of your cars on the street, drag strip or road course, then we will see who the real Toad is. Lol.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-24-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:23 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Those two seconds at VIR cost you $100,000 each. Sorry, that's marginal.
Clearly you dont comprehend how big of a difference 2 secs on a track really is. Thanks for demonstrating your lack of understanding.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Those two seconds at VIR cost you $100,000 each. Sorry, that's marginal.
Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Clearly you dont comprehend how big of a difference 2 secs on a track really is. Thanks for demonstrating your lack of understanding.
Wow, you act as though you own one of these and have to rationalize the money you spent.

Actually, I was being a bit generous with that "2 seconds." It was actually 1.7 seconds. This special-production P-car costs 2½ times as much as the production-line Corvette yet is only 1.7 seconds faster. 1.7 seconds could be anything: tire choice, active suspension mapping, a few more pounds of boost, or tweaked aero. Any competent tuner could get that back for a lot less than the $200,000 difference in price.

If Chevrolet wanted to, they could pull a limited number of ZR1s off the line, consign them to a "factory-authorized" tuner (like M-B does with AMG), and sell them in showrooms as special editions at a reasonable premium to the stock ZR1 and still be half the cost for similar performance.

That GT2 is an awfully nice car, but it's not $328,000 nice.

Last edited by jcsperson; 10-24-2018 at 07:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcsperson:
Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 AM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by norge1956:
ByByBMW (10-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018), Parcival (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:37 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by norge1956
Suffice it to say, part of the GT2's track times are due to these superior tires which competitors don't yet have access to. Which means competitor cars running the same tires may be faster, making for an apples-to-apples comparison.

That's like a sneaker company only giving one runner a revolutionary pair of running shoes which makes them faster; in that situation would that be a fair comparison of that runner's true speed versus competitors?

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 10-24-2018 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Suffice it to say, part of the GT2's track times are due to these superior tires which competitors don't yet have access to. Which means competitor cars running the same tires may be faster, making for an apples-to-apples comparison.

That's like a sneaker company only giving one runner a revolutionary pair of running shoes which makes them faster; in that situation would that be a fair comparison of that runner's true speed versus competitors?
Every car that is released has tires that contribute to its performance. If they want better performance, provide the car with better tires.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 10-24-2018 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
Atari_Prime (10-24-2018), ByByBMW (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Wow, you act as though you own one of these and have to rationalize the money you spent.

Actually, I was being a bit generous with that "2 seconds." It was actually 1.7 seconds. This special-production P-car costs 2½ times as much as the production-line Corvette yet is only 1.7 seconds faster. 1.7 seconds could be anything: tire choice, active suspension mapping, a few more pounds of boost, or tweaked aero. Any competent tuner could get that back for a lot less than the $200,000 difference in price.

If Chevrolet wanted to, they could pull a limited number of ZR1s off the line, consign them to a "factory-authorized" tuner (like M-B does with AMG), and sell them in showrooms as special editions at a reasonable premium to the stock ZR1 and still be half the cost for similar performance.

That GT2 is an awfully nice car, but it's not $328,000 nice.
I adore the Porsches, but seriously if a ZR1 owner spent $6K - $15K on a set of lightweight 18" forged or CF wheels with the stickiest DOT race tires available on his ZR1 that gap and then some would evaporate.

It's hard for me to get too excited about a car I will never buy (the GT2RS) either way, but these Nuerburgring times are not a good comparison for several reasons including: 1) The Euro manufacturers are geographically close to it and put 100% effort in to those times Just like any race car can get considerably faster with proper set up, the time and effort spent at this place results in a hero lap that's not realistic for a manufacturer that spends much less time and money testing here; 2) it's not really indicative of the racetracks we drive as enthusiasts. For example most of us don't want to go 180 mph through a turn as the consequences are simply too high but a car that does that well can shave off many seconds at the Ring. Once again, how does this pertain to the average enthusiasts?

~ take care
The following 3 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
ArmchairArchitect (10-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018), jcsperson (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
You just pulling this stat out of your *** or do you have facts to prove this statement?

Once again another drunkard on Corvette Kool Aid can't admit that there actually is a car out there that out performs the best Corvette yet.

As far as the price difference between the Z and GT2, who exactly started this thread? Here's a hint, don't bring a knife to a gun fight, if you don't like the answer to the question don't ask the question in the first place, simple. If you wanna participate in a thread comparing a 911 to a Corvette be prepared to not like the facts, again, really simple.
Mr. "Facts" pushing Porsche manufactured facts on a corvette forum.....and then ask us to disprove them. A bit preposterous?

I have provided ample evidence the ring car as well as the MT car were non stock prototypes/or illicitly fitted. The burden of proof is now on you to disprove the evidence of such.
What is ridiculous is this tire/stripping fiasco was uncovered moons ago!

FACT #1: This is and excerpt form the Porsche official announcement of the Nurburing record ONE YEAR OLD:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-911-gt2-rs-record-nuerburgring-nordschleife-sports-cars-road-approved-14277.html

I could not understand all the moaning on the PFF forum until my good friend (lawyer) from Germany pointed out to the clever (and deceitful) passage used to disguise the fact Porsche used prototype race tires:

Porsche factory driver Tandy travelled straight from a six-hour race in Austin, Texas to the Nürburgring, swapping the Le Mans prototype Porsche 919 Hybrid for the 515-kW (700-hp; Fuel consumption combined 11.8 l/100 km; CO2 emissions 269 g/km) 911 GT2 RS with Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tyres in impressive style. It was Lars Kern, a Porsche test driver by trade with a passion for racing, who ultimately set the final record time

How clever...false signaling one pilot had CUP 2 tyres thus leading everybody to think the other car also...and omitting all together to mention Lars HAD FRIGGING RACE TIRES!

DO YOU SEE ANYTHING IN THE OFFICIAL STATEMENT THAT MENTIONS CUP 2 R? Simple question (Mr. Facts) YES OR NO?
DO YOU SEE ANYTHING IN THE OFFICIAL STATEMENT THAT MENTIONS THE CAR WAS OEM DELETED (STRIPPED)? YES OR NO?

Do you see anything in the official statement that disclaims the only reason they could call the prototype ring car a street legal car is because they met the European Union definition of limited production street car. Care to tell me (Mr. facts) what that number is? It is 20. Care to tell me how many 911GT2RS were built in 2017? 20! Get it?

THE CUP 2 R tires do not exists. Michelin has been announcing them for more than a year. Now tire rack is on to the same to play along. Call them and see what you get...

Peace Brother!

Last edited by Telepierre; 10-24-2018 at 12:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Telepierre:
Old 10-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
That is a crock of BS. The GT2RS was using their custom fabricated tire for that ring run and many others including the Motor Trend BDC test. I had a nice explanation by Ken Gould of Porsche N.A. from Atlanta that the Michelin Cup 2R on the GT2RS is a one off specific tire for that car only. It was designed relative to the front and rear weight ratios of the car, torque characteristics of the engine, horsepower characteristics of the car, and aero downforce, etc. That tire will only be available for that model after market and they will only offer standard higher mileage run flats to customers. If I remember correctly he said customers will be able to buy them next year through Michelin but not through Porsche. A separate version of that tire was also used on the GT3RS that set the Ring record 6:57. If I remember correctly he said the GT3 tire was specific to itself. I guess it's possible that Michelin made two ringer tires for the GT2RS and the GT3RS, but wow, what a expense just to set those ring times. Also, Randy drove the ZR1 with the PTM turned off, but left those controls on for the other three cars. Odd, and then he complained that it had too much power and had a tough time getting traction coming out of the slower corners. I was standing next to Matt Satchell (ZR1 development engineer), Ron Kiino, and the ZR1 mechanic from GM and we all just looked at each other wondering why Pobst turned the PTM off when Matt recommended MT to leave it on. The ZR1 also had the optional Cold Air Intake for a full 772hp so putting down all that power with the PTM turned off seemed strange and unusual. There was a crowd of people around him and they were filming his observations of each car as he finished with each car's hot lap. It's interesting how Motor Trend portrays this tire situation.
If Sport Auto does not supervise a record attempt at the Ring,it is not valid. Porsche is the biggest cheater of all.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shaka:
ArmchairArchitect (10-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018), Suns_PSD (10-24-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Honestly it sounds like this is the reason Pobst decided to turn off the ZR1's PTM:

By the way, this is a cut and past from his twitter page. "Motor Trend track tester, 90 pro road race wins plus. Porsche, Audi, Mazda and Volvo factory driver. But really, I'm a motorcycle man"

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-26-2018 at 12:07 PM.
ByByBMW (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:05 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Porsche’s are not who I am. Owned a BMW not too long ago and didn’t feel comfortable. I’m just a blue collar guy with a white collar job, wear shorts, t-shirts and sneakers to work.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:17 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
Porsche’s are not who I am. Owned a BMW not too long ago and didn’t feel comfortable. I’m just a blue collar guy with a white collar job, wear shorts, t-shirts and sneakers to work.
I almost bought an M240i X-Drive for winter driving. I loved it: great handling, terrific I6 turbo, incredibly fun to drive. Ultimately I opted for a Cadillac ATS4 3.6 since I have a lot of extended family who work for GM. The ATS is great, but unlike BMW Cadillac cannot engineer an AWD system to handle the power/torque of their twin turbo V6 (ATS-V), nor can they engineer MRC to work with AWD. GM's corporate V6 is also kind of lame relative to BMW's insanely great I6 turbo.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:23 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
I almost bought an M240i X-Drive for winter driving. I loved it: great handling, terrific I6 turbo, incredibly fun to drive. Ultimately I opted for a Cadillac ATS4 3.6 since I have a lot of extended family who work for GM. The ATS is great, but unlike BMW Cadillac cannot engineer an AWD system to handle the power/torque of their twin turbo V6 (ATS-V), nor can they engineer MRC to work with AWD. GM's corporate V6 is also kind of lame relative to BMW's insanely great I6 turbo.
Haven't driven an I6 turbo but the three I6 BMW's I did have, non-turbo, were stunning cars.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
You 100% completely missed my point.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Every car that is released has tires that contribute to its performance. If they want better performance, provide the car with better tires.
Your answers have been ok until this one...ie, they couldn't do it with stock P tires ...

let me sell you $50K tires to go with your $330K vs $130K car and see how you do, lol!

i love the GT2, but just sayin...

Just give me the address of the P dealership where you work and I'll take a look at your tires...

Last edited by Parcival; 10-25-2018 at 07:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Parcival:
CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018), fiveomar (10-26-2018), Telepierre (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Dez’sC7
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 17 Cayman S and a 18 Stingray. I’ll start by saying the Vette is more comfortable. More relaxed to drive, really enjoy cruising. The Porsche has more of a hard edge. Not comfortable for a long ride, more road noise. But, the Porsche puts the power down. Hooks hard from a standing start where the Vette wants to spin. As far as cornering, the Porsche is like a surgeons scaple in the bends as opposed to a K-bar. I suspect they would be close in the quarter but I don’t see the (base) Stingray hanging in the corners. Now mine is a base car and I know there are upgraded suspensions for both cars. All I can say is they are 2 totally different approaches to going fast.
ByByBMW (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:59 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Dez’sC7
I have a 17 Cayman S and a 18 Stingray. I’ll start by saying the Vette is more comfortable. More relaxed to drive, really enjoy cruising. The Porsche has more of a hard edge. Not comfortable for a long ride, more road noise. But, the Porsche puts the power down. Hooks hard from a standing start where the Vette wants to spin. As far as cornering, the Porsche is like a surgeons scaple in the bends as opposed to a K-bar. I suspect they would be close in the quarter but I don’t see the (base) Stingray hanging in the corners. Now mine is a base car and I know there are upgraded suspensions for both cars. All I can say is they are 2 totally different approaches to going fast.
On the C7, Stock Suspension vs Z51 Suspension are like night and day.

Stock is super floaty, Z51 feels like a proper sports car.

Add Mag Ride, you'd think you were driving something 2 gens ahead of the stock suspension.
The following 4 users liked this post by Houston Z33:
Dez’sC7 (10-26-2018), fiveomar (10-26-2018), jcsperson (10-26-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?