Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:20 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
I recently bought a 991.2 GT3 manual transmission and parted ways with my 2015 Z06. I can say the GT3 with its rear NA engine is incredible. It pulls hard all the way to 9K rpm and the rear engine provides considerable rear wheel traction. The handling and suspension is phenomenal. I am waiting to see what GM does regarding the C8.. If they produce a decent mid engine Z I might jump back in. However, I will never trade in the GT3, its the very best car I have driven.
So we have a C7 Z06 and Porsche GT4 (both manuals). Love them both, and both of these cars had MSRP ~ 90K. My buddy has a 99.1 GT3 PDK, we track together and I've driven his car on 2 different tracks, but never driven it on the street. The PDK transmission is great but the torque and HP of the 991.1 doesn't compare to the Z06. The best part of the GT3 is how well it can rotate and accelerate out of corners. Used 991.1 run~$140k and 991.2 are running over $150k. If they were equal money a GT3 would be a great option to a Corvette, but they are not the same price. Gotta admit the Porsche GT cars do hold their value better than most cars, so that's another factor to consider. I just can't justify paying 50K over a Z06 or GT4 for the small increase in performance.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
I recently bought a 991.2 GT3 manual transmission and parted ways with my 2015 Z06. I can say the GT3 with its rear NA engine is incredible. It pulls hard all the way to 9K rpm and the rear engine provides considerable rear wheel traction. The handling and suspension is phenomenal. I am waiting to see what GM does regarding the C8.. If they produce a decent mid engine Z I might jump back in. However, I will never trade in the GT3, its the very best car I have driven.
GT3 is an incredible P car. If anyone disagrees the resale values alone back up our points, Keep her and enjoy; I regret getting rid of my Manual Audi R8. 2015 Z06 was fun but it's not a complete packagea like the GT3 Porsche.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:30 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Some of you are confusing Apples with Oranges, blending the two and making cocktails out of it...

1. J.D Powers is a QUALITY survey that asks about QUALITY satisfaction after what!? 500 miles of ownership!! RELIABILITY is a whole different game..
Porsches/911 are renown for QUALITY and I subscribe to that notion. They are assembled very well and offer quality aesthetics (leather, dash controls, seat *****) designed to please the eye and feel like few competitors can. If it was all about sitting in the car and staring at it for then tell JD Powers you sat in the car for six months and stared at it then by all means...

2. Reliability implies putting the car through some serious driving and first hand and anecdotal experiences tell me that for Porsche things are not as pretty as they seem. A Porsche ownership manual will tell you that. Comes the 50Kmiles mark it is time to put down some serious coin. Also just for fun I ran a compare on car gurus 911 vs Corvette nationwide :

911 listings for cars all mileage: 1685
911 listings for cars with more than 60K miles: 394

911s with more than 60K miles: 23%

Corvette listings for cars all mileage: 2000
Corvette listings for cars with more than 60K miles: 1500

Corvettes with more than 60K miles: 75%

911s GT car enjoy the "flip it" market no doubt but just like bitcoin it does not have anything to do with the intrinsic qualities (or lack thereof) of the car...
The following 2 users liked this post by Telepierre:
ArmchairArchitect (12-11-2018), Foosh (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Did that include the 2000s when Porsche 911 motors self-grenaded from normal driving due to an engineering design flaw (IMS bearing issue)?
Porsche's first generation of liquid cooled engines were a disaster. Successive generations are back to legendary Porsche reliability - but still a notch below the air cooled engines.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:09 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Porsche's first generation of liquid cooled engines were a disaster. Successive generations are back to legendary Porsche reliability - but still a notch below the air cooled engines.

My 996TT was bomb proof, modded to 530RWHP for most of its life sold it with 158k looked brand new even with all the track time. Turbos, GT3s and cups had the mezger motor and were very solid.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Some of you are confusing Apples with Oranges, blending the two and making cocktails out of it...

1. J.D Powers is a QUALITY survey that asks about QUALITY satisfaction after what!? 500 miles of ownership!! RELIABILITY is a whole different game..
Porsches/911 are renown for QUALITY and I subscribe to that notion. They are assembled very well and offer quality aesthetics (leather, dash controls, seat *****) designed to please the eye and feel like few competitors can. If it was all about sitting in the car and staring at it for then tell JD Powers you sat in the car for six months and stared at it then by all means...

2. Reliability implies putting the car through some serious driving and first hand and anecdotal experiences tell me that for Porsche things are not as pretty as they seem. A Porsche ownership manual will tell you that. Comes the 50Kmiles mark it is time to put down some serious coin. Also just for fun I ran a compare on car gurus 911 vs Corvette nationwide :

911 listings for cars all mileage: 1685
911 listings for cars with more than 60K miles: 394

911s with more than 60K miles: 23%

Corvette listings for cars all mileage: 2000
Corvette listings for cars with more than 60K miles: 1500

Corvettes with more than 60K miles: 75%

911s GT car enjoy the "flip it" market no doubt but just like bitcoin it does not have anything to do with the intrinsic qualities (or lack thereof) of the car...
You think the average 911 owner only has one car in the driveway?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
You think the average 911 owner only has one car in the driveway?
You think the average Corvette owner only has one car in the driveway?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by mschuyler
You think the average Corvette owner only has one car in the driveway?
Not in the least, but I think it's pretty safe to say that a higher percentage of Corvette owners own fewer cars than Porsche owners and a higher number of Corvette owners have the Corvette as their only car, thus a higher likelihood that the Corvette will get driven more in either circumstance, equating to higher miles on the Corvettes.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Did anyone stop and think about how much it costs to repair Porsches? Perhaps that's why Porsches have low mileage, no one wants the repair costs out of warranty. Same reason why AMG's depreciate so much, out of warranty repair costs, rich or not, no one wants to do a valve job on a V12 AMG..
ViperFan1 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by themonk
Did anyone stop and think about how much it costs to repair Porsches? Perhaps that's why Porsches have low mileage, no one wants the repair costs out of warranty. Same reason why AMG's depreciate so much, out of warranty repair costs, rich or not, no one wants to do a valve job on a V12 AMG..
There are a lot of factors here and some truth in your statement. Porsches aren't cheap to repair. Though I would contend that if you are buying new Porsches you can generally afford the repair bills without too much issue and given that you are covered by the warranty for a few years, repairs aren't a problem. The secondary market is where is becomes a problem. If you are buying a used Porsche, unless you are picking up an ultra rare model, you are likely buying the used Porsche because you can't afford the new version of the same. And if you are already pinching pennies to buy that dream car, chances are you don't have a budget left for repairs. A used Vette has that distinct advantage, parts are and labor are cheap comparatively. That would definitely keep more of them on the road. Vipers, despite their reputation, are also easy and cheap to fix for the most part as many of their parts were used on other Chysler vehicles. They are also fairly reliable. Despite easy of repair and reliability though, they aren't driven that much. Most have less than 30k miles. Some of it probably has to do with that they are only available in manual, so daily drivers in heavy traffic are out. Some has to do with they are anti-speed bump, scraping everywhere, which limits their use. And then there is the fact that they don't have a lot of bells and whistles to make a daily drive enjoyable. Throw in 8-11 mpg and you have a weekend car.
Telepierre (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:41 PM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mjcourt
So we have a C7 Z06 and Porsche GT4 (both manuals).... I just can't justify paying 50K over a Z06 or GT4 for the small increase in performance.
If C8 is same price or even within reach of a GT3 price, hands down I’m buying the exotic car.
I love my C7 Z51 and drove my buddy’s 2018 911 GT3 and it’s phenomenal. Not as fast straight line, but it’s an absolute driver’s car.
I’m on my 3rd Corvette and I LOVE them. But the main reason is the value. But if it’s true that base models are jumping into 911 price ranges, I’m making my way straight to the state of the art Porsche dealership they got here in Orlando
ByByBMW (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Motor Trend never has been able to run a decent quarter mile. The fact that in the article you quoted the GS was running 2 mph faster yet was .2 sec slower shows that they still can't launch the car. The GS will run 11's all day long with someone who knows how to drive it. Other than your cherrypicked stat, the GS was faster around the track, faster around the skidpad, and quicker stopping.

And I notice you were very careful to limit your reliability comment to the 718 cayman. You think they've fixed the cylinder scoring issues then?
We don't use facts and truth on this forum, OK? Please stick to fake news.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Pray the reciprocal tariffs don't take old in March 2019.

Entry level 911 for USA: 385HP 911 133K...

Last edited by Telepierre; 12-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:39 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Buy a mclaren 570 instead of the porsche 911 4s with options...once your up in and around a hundred and fifty...just splurge for the extra to get the 570...

ALl said the c8 will be awesome ...

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-11-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Absolutely LOVE my 911 Turbo S. First European sports car I have owned and as they say a Porsche will sell itself on you, and once you have one you will always have one. I have owned a C5 Z06, C6 Z06 and C7 Z06, so I have had my share of Corvettes and they are great, but the P. car is hard to beat!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-11-2018 at 08:49 PM.
ByByBMW (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

THanks for sharing your photof your porsche turbo. The corvette and the porsche 911 have been embattled competitors for almost 60 years...

definitely choose the one that suits your desires most.
Mopar Jimmy (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:03 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nexxis

If C8 is same price or even within reach of a GT3 price, hands down I’m buying the exotic car.
I love my C7 Z51 and drove my buddy’s 2018 911 GT3 and it’s phenomenal. Not as fast straight line, but it’s an absolute driver’s car.
I’m on my 3rd Corvette and I LOVE them. But the main reason is the value. But if it’s true that base models are jumping into 911 price ranges, I’m making my way straight to the state of the art Porsche dealership they got here in Orlando
Not sure bout the statement "Not as fast straight line" I track my Z06 and there is not a big difference between my buddies 991 GT3 and the Z06 on the straights. I catch him entering the corners and he pulls me exiting the corners. The straights are a wash until you get over 100 where the Z06 HP helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by nexxis

I believe there are many that feel as you do in this regard. With money difference out of the equation, we will see how many buyers based their past choice on the Corvette in large part due to price. I have owned a new C7 and now a 911. The 911 is the better all around car in my opinion with money not being a factor in the decision making process.
ByByBMW (12-11-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:51 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Too many Porsche fanboys here! The 911 is NOT better in every way! It has some strengths over the Corvette and the Corvette has some strengths over the 911! To those that haven't experienced them, don't believe all the Kool-Aid some seem to be spewing on here! I personally would choose the Corvette over any P car regardless of price but obviously some will take the Porsche over the Corvette if they were equally priced! I wonder how much perception, magazine articles or just the higher price have to do with their thinking? I'm not hating on the car as it's a legendary sports car (as is the Corvette) but look wise it doesn't do anything for me and no way justifies its price. Anyways, this is a Corvette forum and I'm defending the Corvette as it is an amazing machine that gives you a rush as you walk up to it and as you drive it which the 911 does not for me!
ArmchairArchitect (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:10 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Many won't be buying a Porsche, esp. a new one because it is out of their financial spending range. Whether or not they will admit it. Many have never owned a Porsche. For many of those, they aren't going to be comfortable buying a Porsche, for whatever reasons. The new C8 Corvette is likely a cheaper and a safer buy than a new Porsche.

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?