Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

If one has $60k-$100k to spend on a sports car one could buy a:

- C7 Grand Sport for $65k
- C7 Z06 for $80k
- Base 911 for $90k + overpriced options
- Cayman GT4 for $85k + overpriced options

Reliability/durability is about the same for both brands.
Performance goes to the Z06 and Grand Sport, Cayman GT4 close behind. Base 911 under-performing.
Cost/ease of maintenance goes to the Z06 and Grand Sport.
Styling, call it a draw since the Corvette has more road presence, but some prefer the minimalism of the 911 and/or Cayman.
Interior goes to the Porsche, but the Corvette's interior is nice enough. Sure you could spend tens of thousands more on an under-performing base 911 to justify nicer interior materials, but that should be lowest priority in a purist sports car. Don't forget the Ferrari F40, Challenge Stradale, and all the other stripped down sports/super cars with rudimentary/barebones interiors command HUGE money and excitement. If I want a luxury/posh interior I get that from my Range Rover; totally superfluous in a purist sports car.

That being said, I would definitely consider the Cayman GT4 but definitely NOT a base 911 in this price range. It has a proper/superior mid-engined chassis as well unlike the 911.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 12-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:10 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Telepierre
The 911 is a 4 seater as well - theoretically...…. ;-)
ummmm, the GT cars are two seaters.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Simple, I am not a Porsche guy...I love Corvettes. And after all these years waiting for the ME Corvette why the heck would I buy a Porsche?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

There are a few on this thread that have drank the Porsche Kool-aid so much that they've become delusional! Porsche does make a good quality car but put the Corvette aside and if we're talking just about quality does it really make a better quality car than a mid-top line Lexus??? One car argue Lexus is better and by far more reliable! Stop being brainwashed by articles and propaganda video's etc!! They make good quality cars but don't get too carried away now! Go sit in a $60K Cayman and there's not much difference in interior quality than a $30K VW! I firmly believe the higher price (more like over-pricing) tends to skew people's minds that since it's priced higher it must be holier-than-thou which it is nowhere close to that!

And stop sh*tting on the Corvette just to elevate the Porsche! If you love it so much go over to the Porsche forums and praise it all you want!
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:44 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I firmly believe the higher price (more like over-pricing) tends to skew people's minds that since it's priced higher it must be holier-than-thou which it is nowhere close to that!
There are a number of studies where people equate price with quality.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
There are a few on this thread that have drank the Porsche Kool-aid so much that they've become delusional! Porsche does make a good quality car but put the Corvette aside and if we're talking just about quality does it really make a better quality car than a mid-top line Lexus??? One car argue Lexus is better and by far more reliable! Stop being brainwashed by articles and propaganda video's etc!! They make good quality cars but don't get too carried away now! Go sit in a $60K Cayman and there's not much difference in interior quality than a $30K VW! I firmly believe the higher price (more like over-pricing) tends to skew people's minds that since it's priced higher it must be holier-than-thou which it is nowhere close to that!

And stop sh*tting on the Corvette just to elevate the Porsche! If you love it so much go over to the Porsche forums and praise it all you want!
And I would suggest you do the same Dave. I am glad you feel a Corvette is Porsche and Ferrari quality. That’s your opinion and your entitled to it. But know that some may feel differently and that’s their right as well. Then we have an individual or two on this string that bases all of their comments on side line speculation rather than ownership knowledge. Cheers!
Old 12-13-2018, 11:06 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I have owned many cars and I am not delusional. I don't drink Kool-Aid and I am not loyal to any manufacturer. Owned 4 Corvettes and 4 Porsches and many other brands, I still feel my Porsche was better when it came to quality. It had nothing to do with the price it's just better material and fit and finish. My 15 Z06 was closer than any GM product to date in quality but still falls behind compared to any Porsche. I did not care as the price on the 15 Z06 was 50k less than my Porsche and the Z performance was way better and more fun.

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-13-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:12 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

^^^ Doc Ice....I have never said the Corvette is the best thing since sliced bread! It definitely has its faults but as a whole its quite a nice package. I've owned just about all of the German brands and there's been this talk of "German quality" for decades now but for a long time the Germans were making quite a few buckets with some low rent materials! They have turned around their quality in this decade though. Just go look at just how much MBZ has improved their interior materials in their newer models vs. the hard cheap plastic they were using before. Same with Porsche (the loaded ones).

You are not the one that I was referring to as you seem to not be putting down the Corvette just to bring the Porsche up but do you think a $60K Porsche has a vastly superior interior than a mid $30's VW? Do you think a Porsche is better built than a Lexus or is more reliable?

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 12-13-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcsperson
There are a number of studies where people equate price with quality.
Exactly! Many studies......tap water vs. bottle waters and so on.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

I agree that all cars have their pros and cons, and many of those are buyer dependent on what they may or may not like. That’s why I contend their is no one size fits all answer when comparing any two cars. I truly appreciate both the C7 and 911. They are both awesome and iconic cars. Just because an individual prefers one car over the other doesn’t necessarily make them a fanboy.....unless that’s all they will ever consider to purchase in a blind and close mind manner. Even so that’s their right. That’s why I don’t understand the hate. We all love cars and everyone is entitled to their likes and opinions. In my opinion, anyone that can purchase a new Corvette or Porsche is a lucky and fortunate person.
pdiddy972 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:35 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
I agree that all cars have their pros and cons, and many of those are buyer dependent on what they may or may not like. That’s why I contend their is no one size fits all answer when comparing any two cars. I truly appreciate both the C7 and 911. They are both awesome and iconic cars. Just because an individual prefers one car over the other doesn’t necessarily make them a fanboy.....unless that’s all they will ever consider to purchase in a blind and close mind manner. Even so that’s their right. That’s why I don’t understand the hate. We all love cars and everyone is entitled to their likes and opinions. In my opinion, anyone that can purchase a new Corvette or Porsche is a lucky and fortunate person.
You're very sensible!

The fanboys are the ones that come onto a Corvette Forum and all they do is talk sh*t about the Corvette. I mean if you don't like the car then gtfoh and go to a Forum of a car of your liking or go see a therapist!

Btw, you still didn't answer my question about the VW and Lexus? LOL
Dr. ice (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:56 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

And I would suggest you do the same Dave. I am glad you feel a Corvette is Porsche and Ferrari quality. That’s your opinion and your entitled to it. But know that some may feel differently and that’s their right as well. Then we have an individual or two on this string that bases all of their comments on side line speculation rather than ownership knowledge. Cheers!
No Dr. Ice. Ownership it's not an authoritative base for performance claims. I chuckle/agree/disagree at opinions BUT I vehemently rebut false "performance ownership claims" made to pad one's self-gratifying message.
Whether it's the 3.1s 2017 9114S "performance ownership claim" or the 2018 GT3 3100lbs curb weight (not you) "performance ownership claim"...or the fake GT2RS ring time...I challenge it!! Because I know better and put forth more authoritative references (contrary to your "sideline speculation" claims) THAN feeble "performance ownership claims".
Not personal mind you (pls drop the "hate crime" ambulance chasing). I am after the fake message. Simple as that.

Cheers.

Last edited by Telepierre; 12-14-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:00 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
ummmm, the GT cars are two seaters.
ummmm, seeking accuracy...I see and appreciated it....

SO, 3 911 models out of 24 are rear seats delete (same for selected Camaro models).

Better?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Telepierre
No Dr. Ice. Ownership it's not an authoritative base for performance claims. I chuckle/agree/disagree at opinions BUT I vehemently rebut false "performance ownership claims" made to pad one's self-gratifying message.
Whether it's the 3.1s 2017 9114S "performance ownership claim" or the 2018 GT3 3100lbs curb weight (not you) "performance ownership claim"...or the fake GT2RS ring time...I challenge it!! Because I know better and put forth more authoritative references (contrary to your "sideline speculation" claims) THAN feeble "performance ownership claims".
Not personal mind you (pls drop the "hate crime" ambulance chasing). I am after the fake message. Simple as that.

Cheers.
i love your persistence but believe your energy could be better spent on topics you have perhaps a firmer grasp on. This is obviously not one of them.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-14-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-14-2018 at 09:33 AM.
ByByBMW (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

The Corvette times look in line so I assume they are for Porsche as well. Let’s drop the conspiracy theory please. A big part of the better 911 times can be attributed to rear weight bias. Additionally, the 2017 and newer 911’s have gained substantial torque with the addition of twin turbos across the Carrera range. As c7 owners know, they are all traction limited from a dig. The c8 ME will be a different animal and I expect to see a dramatic improvement in 0-60 times as well as in other important performance parameters. We are all fortunate we don’t still live in the 80’s where about all cars were anemic in comparison to today’s performance explosion.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-14-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:31 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Porsche has optimized their transmissions and computers for 0-60 - try doing a 5-60 roll on any of those cars and watch them get to 60 a full second or more slower. It's not a useful measure of performance.

The Corvette times look in line so I assume they are for Porsche as well. Let’s drop the conspiracy theory please. A big part of the better 911 times can be attributed to rear weight bias. Additionally, the 2017 and newer 911’s have gained substantial torque with the addition of twin turbos across the Carrera range. As c7 owners know, they are all traction limited from a dig. The c8 ME will be a different animal and I expect to see a dramatic improvement in 0-60 times as well as in other important performance parameters. We are all fortunate we don’t still live in the 80’s where about all cars were anemic in comparison to today’s performance explosion.
The Porsches are simply optimized for 0-60 to win "magazine races" - they launch in such a way as to get RPMs up and keep them up. Any race from a roll will tell the true story and I expect a Vette to beat them handily (or at least not have its time to any given speed not drastically increased from a roll unlike the Porsches).

Last edited by pdiddy972; 12-14-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Porsche has optimized their transmissions and computers for 0-60 - try doing a 5-60 roll on any of those cars and watch them get to 60 a full second or more slower. It's not a useful measure of performance.

The Porsches are simply optimized for 0-60 to win "magazine races" - they launch in such a way as to get RPMs up and keep them up. Any race from a roll will tell the true story and I expect a Vette to beat them handily (or at least not have its time to any given speed not drastically increased from a roll unlike the Porsches).
I raced a 911 Turbo S in my 2007 Mustang GT supercharged (480 Whp/550 crank hp) from a roll and walked it hard with a manual transmission. They launch hard out of the hole (AWD) but after that they are slow as crap. A C6 Z06 will walk one from a roll.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

D
Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Not disputing your claims since I know they have an excellent launch control system. I assume that only pertains to the Sport Chrono cars and I think that’s worth about .2 seconds on 0-60 times. Interesting though, the 911does a good job of holding that edge all the way through the quarter. Please share any roll times between the two in late model variations. Would be interesting to see. At the end of the day they are both quick. I believe my c7 also had launch control so maybe you have identified another area they need to catch up with their competition on.
ByByBMW (12-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?