Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:22 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Thanks for something that does not apply to you, only me.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:13 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I remember in the 80's and 90's seeing that car Indy and then the CERV III. Still holds up. However it wasn't a production car. Cool concept if they released it as shown it would look much different then the rest of the ME cars out today too.
That CERV III looks way too much like The Day the Earth Stood Still

Old 12-17-2018, 12:27 AM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

The Porsche is still stuck in the 60's they have not brought that car into the future, same round headlights and hood for 30 years or more. Now the Corvette zr1 wide *** low to the ground great lines looks so much better then any Porsches made and is a hell of a car that is why I buy Corvette and have three and when the ME comes out I could have four it has something to do with loyalty to the brand and love of product. So ask me another stupid question!!!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Why not just buy a Porsche?

Because people buy what they like. If GM doesn't make a product equally as interesting and excited that's exactly what's going to happen -- they will just buy a Porsche.

I honestly don't think raw performance is a factor. As long as its faster than a C7 it will be enough. Slower would be seen as a setback.

Besides people like "new and different". Its exciting.

Last edited by Sin City; 12-17-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
In summary, any buyer of a new 911 could buy a new Corvette, while not every Corvette owner can purchase a new 911. ... it’s a simple function of what they can afford, not necessarily desire or want.

There are many of us on here who can afford either car, but the Corvette is the smarter/better buy considering what you get from a performance/reliability/maintenance costs/styling standpoint. Also don't forget, the Cayman is around the same price as a Corvette.

My wife and I are in the top 1% of income earners and could buy either car. We also (like many) follow a philosophy of spending money (including extra money) where it adds value. In the case of Corvette vs Porsche, that extra money on the Porsche 911 doesn't get you much except a nicer interior (which the C7 already has a respectable interior). It certainly gets you significantly less performance at each price point.

I love Porsches, I really do, but the hype around these cars and the overall brand in recent years is really out of control. People are ignoring the basics, including underperformance at each price point compared to competitors.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 12-17-2018 at 10:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
Boiler_81 (12-17-2018), ByByBMW (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
There are many of us on here who can afford either car, but the Corvette is the smarter/better buy considering what you get from a performance/reliability/maintenance costs/styling standpoint. Also don't forget, the Cayman is around the same price as a Corvette.

My wife and I are in the top 1% of income earners and could buy either car. We also (like many) follow a philosophy of spending money (including extra money) where it adds value. In the case of Corvette vs Porsche, that extra money on the Porsche 911 doesn't get you much except a nicer interior (which the C7 already has a respectable interior). It certainly gets you significantly less performance at each price point.
I agree with everything you say, that’s why I worded my original post to say that some Corvette buyers are restricted by price. I too am in the top 1% and I chose a new C7 when I could have easily purchased something else. However, the average Corvette household income level is far from the average Porsche owners household income level so they may be more restricted on their purchasing options. I know of a lot of Camaro owners that would love to have a Corvette but simply can’t afford it.....so they buy what they can afford. This same principle applies to me as well since I would be driving something other than what I currently have if I had crazy money.....and it wouldn’t be either a Corvette or Porsche. However, I might have one of each in my stable. I never knock the Corvette as they are awesome cars. My C7 was one of my all time favorite cars and that’s why I anxiously await the C8 ME. However, I also love my 911 and it too has advantages I appreciate over the C7 I previously owned. No bad choices and a person should only strive to make themself happy at the end of the day. Everything on this forum is simply a reflection of personal taste and banter.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

It's pointless to mention that some Corvettes buyers are restricted on price. That applies to literally EVERY car and every car buyer. Nobody but a few people like Bezos have truly unlimited funds.
ArmchairArchitect (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect

I love Porsches, I really do, but the hype around these cars and the overall brand in recent years is really out of control. People are ignoring the basics, including underperformance at each price point compared to competitors.
+1 here on income strata. OK, make that top 25% so I keep the IRS off my back.. :-)

But seriously, you are hitting the sports car market dynamic nail in the head. With a softer, kindler touch so I can receive the proverbial wrath of the messenger.

I don't dislike the 911 the least. I have been complimentary of both the rear design, the selection of interior materials, and the craftmanship. 3 positives in selection portfolio of at least 20. 911 does well in other areas like tradition as well.
But like you mention, the dramatic gap between the marketing image and the real car has been widening logarithmically to the point it is becoming really evident even to the least of sophisticated buyers.

Ask Europe...

My2C
The following 2 users liked this post by Telepierre:
ArmchairArchitect (12-17-2018), ByByBMW (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
It's pointless to mention that some Corvettes buyers are restricted on price. That applies to literally EVERY car and every car buyer. Nobody but a few people like Bezos have truly unlimited funds.
You are correct and I think I made that clear in my post. Again, my point was many people buy the best option possible when they can only afford 1. I understand that doesn’t mean every Corvette buyer can’t buy something more expensive. I was that person when I bought my C7 b
ByByBMW (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I can only wish I was in the top 1%, but being retired means I am basically on a fixed income, not counting on investments which, this year, aren't doing very well.
My one advantage is that I am debt free. I may buy an ME, second year release at the soonest, just to help keep the credit score above 800, which it currently is BTW.

It's good to be alive with all the options available to us.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 12-17-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Dr. ice (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I can only wish I was in the top 1%, but being retired means I am basically on a fixed income, not counting on investments which, this year, aren't doing very well.
My one advantage is that I am debt free. I may buy an ME, second year release at the soonest, just to help keep the credit score above 800, which it currently is BTW.

Pet peeve alert. The term "fixed income" doesn't mean anything since everone's income is "fixed" unless they can successfully change jobs to something that pays more, or they are a commissioned salesperson or something similar where their wage fluctuates.
ArmchairArchitect (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

That CERV III looks way too much like The Day the Earth Stood Still

Cerv III and the Sting Ray III are the best concepts we've gotten since the C4 was introduced.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:09 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW

FYI it's a common myth that going into debt will help your credit score (Google it, or take a look at this link). In fact, carrying high debt hurts your credit score and it's also a terrible financial move to do so on a depreciating asset (car). Just keep paying off your credit cards in full each month and your credit score will stay above 800. Btw, there are no "bonus" points for having an extra extra high credit score. Anyone with 760+ will get the same/best interest rates and approvals.

Take it from someone who holds a CPA license.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 12-18-2018 at 09:39 AM.
ByByBMW (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Pet peeve alert. The term "fixed income" doesn't mean anything since everone's income is "fixed" unless they can successfully change jobs to something that pays more, or they are a commissioned salesperson or something similar where their wage fluctuates.
Only until you get your annual raise......unless you own your own business��

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-17-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:40 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Only until you get your annual raise......unless you own your own business��
Annual raise? Most US workers don't get annual raises, haven't you heard? And those who collect SS get annual COLA raises which makes them better off in that regard.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Annual raise? Most US workers don't get annual raises, haven't you heard? And those who collect SS get annual COLA raises which makes them better off in that regard.
Hell......you and I should retire then. Didn’t realize Social Security was so lucrative.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Hell......you and I should retire then. Didn’t realize Social Security was so lucrative.
Are you suggesting I'm incorrect?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ear/864433001/

More than half of Americans have not gotten a bump in salary over the past 12 months, a new survey finds, despite a tight labor market that’s making it harder for employers to find workers.
Thirty percent got a raise at their current job, 10% landed a better paying job and 8% scored both within the 12-month period.
Thirty percent got raises at a current job.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 12-17-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 12-17-2018, 10:02 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

A lot of people point out the price vs. performance difference of the Corvette over the Porsche, which I agree can be a strong argument. What about the price vs. performance of the ZR1 and the Z06? A new well equipped Z06 can be bought for 80K. Similar equipped ZR1s are selling for just under 140k. That's a lot of extra money for basically the same car with 105 extra HP. I thought about trading my Z06 for a ZR1, but for the 60K difference I can pick up a new Grandsport or slightly used Cayman to use as a track car and still have my Z06 as the daily driver. Does this make buyers of the ZR1 wrong? Nope. Neither does buying a Porsche over a Corvette if that’s what makes you happy.
ArmchairArchitect (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

I am suggesting that most people’s standard of living declines when they retire. Social Security doesn’ pay much at best so grass grows faster than a COLA.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
ByByBMW (12-17-2018), Rapid Fred (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ear/864433001/

Thirty percent got raises at a current job.
I admit that’s a sad fact if accurate. But I still maintain those same individuals will make more working than retired. Thought your comment to a retired individual on this forum was uncalled for and inappropriate. Some day you may understand, as your comment doesn’t indicate your probably at that point in your life yet.
ByByBMW (12-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?