Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime

That’s not the way the world works. You can argue a Kia is the better value, you can argue it’s the right car for you, but you can’t argue it’s the better car.
I agree.

I can't stand Chinese food, but that doesn't make it an inferior food choice. Hell. a lot of Chinese eat it everyday.

I'll take a crappy steak over Chinese anytime.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:56 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

That’s not the way the world works. You can argue a Kia is the better value, you can argue it’s the right car for you, but you can’t argue it’s the better car.
So then list out the objective measures of whichever car you believe is superior.

Originally Posted by isellpower
LMAO!! Keep trying to justify your purchase with baseless claims. Everyone in this thread knows that there is a bit of a cringe factor when it comes to the Vette. Head to any cars and coffee and you'll see why they call it the windbreaker, gold chain crowd. 45 pages of cope, sheer, unadulterated cope. No one outside of Vette fanboys could even make this argument seem in the least bit sensible. Apple to oranges, the Porsche is miles ahead. Sure, some rattle box may beat any Porsche by some metrics, but lets be real, they aren't even in the same league. The ME is going to bridge this gap, narrow it to nothing if the interior and build quality are stepped up.

To each his own, but I don't see this as a car stuck in the 60's.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 12-22-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Why yes, that is the way the world works. You can objectively substantiate that the Kia is both the better value, and the better car on a number of dimensions. The criteria one utilizes to arrive at that assessment are unique to each individual.

What so-called automotive experts profess to be superior is irrelevant. They are using their own self-defined objective and subjective metrics, which are no less or no more valid than those used by each individual informed consumer.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-22-2018 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 01:05 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

The "automotive experts" for the most part try to do their best to assess a car from as many perspectives as possible. By the numbers, by its driving characteristics, the value it represents within its class and there will always be personal bias because they are human. Most do a fairly good job in the end and usually the only people that are ticked off are those that own the particular vehicle that does not win in any given comparison test. Usually that is because they cry foul on a given criteria that to the person that owns the car placed a much higher value on than the reviewer/s did.

I have definitely owned cars in the past that did not place on the top of the heap in their particular category. Mostly because I admit that I am a very pragmatic and practical type and simply have a harder time when it comes to parting with the cash. It's largely why I have enjoyed many other types of toy ownership for so long before even purchasing a true sports car. But I was lucky enough to have access to a variety of sports cars and could scratch that itch for enough years where having one in my garage just did not make sense to me until just recently. It also allowed me the luxury of comparing different cars and then creating that list of what is most important to me over time before I really felt the need to write the check.

At some point I would love to own a true exotic and just might reach the point where I decide to do just that. For now I will enjoy the hell out of my C7, continue to drive different exotics, and really enjoy the variety of experiences all of these cars can deliver. From my perspective, they are all great in their own way.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by isellpower
LMAO!! Keep trying to justify your purchase with baseless claims. Everyone in this thread knows that there is a bit of a cringe factor when it comes to the Vette. Head to any cars and coffee and you'll see why they call it the windbreaker, gold chain crowd. 45 pages of cope, sheer, unadulterated cope. No one outside of Vette fanboys could even make this argument seem in the least bit sensible. Apple to oranges, the Porsche is miles ahead. Sure, some rattle box may beat any Porsche by some metrics, but lets be real, they aren't even in the same league. The ME is going to bridge this gap, narrow it to nothing if the interior and build quality are stepped up.

To each his own, but I don't see this as a car stuck in the 60's.
is this Dr Ice’s other account?

geez, it’s amazing that this thread is still being powered by P dealers and fan bois??

I mean what a testimony to GM/ Vette that they would continue to haunt the C8 forum...I only go to my local P dealer or rennlist to look at things for sale... not to try to diminish the excitement for a future model that inspires car enthusiasts this year.

Methinks the (P) ladies doth (continue to) protest too much !

i have to say the funniest arguments are when the P guys say a sport car should be judged on metrics other than the ability to go fast (other than off a stop sign where the electrics have us all beat!). You guys are better served just straight bribing the fastestlaps.com guys to fake the laptimes for the Carrera S and Turbos (the GT2 and Carrera GT and 918Spyder are different). I’ll grant a rear engine Carrera S feels fast going around a bend but the times and other cars pulling away are always a little disappointing

My second favorite set of arguments looking back a few pages was from the usual two or three guys abt being 1% incomers, coming from Missouri and Pennsylvania and some state other than Connecticut or New York or California (the highest incomes). Funny pissing contest on an Internet forum.

Last edited by Parcival; 12-22-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

is this Dr Ice’s other account?

geez, it’s amazing that this thread is still being powered by P dealers and fan bois??

I mean what a testimony to GM/ Vette that they would continue to haunt the C8 forum...I only go to my local P dealer or rennlist to look at things for sale... not to try to diminish the excitement for a future model that inspires car enthusiasts this year.

Methinks the (P) ladies doth (continue to) protest too much !

i have to say the funniest arguments are when the P guys say a sport car should be judged on other metrics other than the ability to go fast (other than off a stop sign where the electrics have us all beat!). You guys are better served just straight bribing the fastestlaps.com guys to fake the times for the Carrera S and Turbos (the GT2 and 918Spyder are different). I’ll grant the Carrera S feels fast going around a bend but the times and other cars pulling away are always a little disappointing
Parcival.......my favorite wanna be. Too bad you can’t afford a Porsche or know anyone that does. Maybe they could give you a ride in one.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-22-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

Parcival.......my favorite wanna be. Too bad you can’t afford a Porsche or know anyone that does. Maybe they could give you a ride in one.

Ozarks... still laughing my ars... just show me the pic of the Rolex and Carrera base again please!

i forgot that funny argument you use abt not being able to afford one from the Carrera base guy. The reality is the Carrera base is not that expensive...just overrated

unfortunately I know too many P guys working on Sand Hill Road, but they would get a turbo S.

Last edited by Parcival; 12-22-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Ozarks... still laughing my ars... just show me the pic of the Rolex and Carrera base again please!
We can’t all roll with base level Z06’s and wear Timex watches. I would say you live in exactly the community you belong in San Francisco 😜. You have quickly become my favorite charity case my friend!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-22-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 PM
bigfish_Oh
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the same reason Harley riders won't buy a metric, requardless of quality or performance.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:33 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Parcival.....where did you go! Wish I lived closer, I would let you drive my 911 and touch my Rolex....I know it would be a treat for you��

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-22-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Parcival.....where did you go! Wish I lived closer, I would let you drive my 911 and touch my Rolex....I know it would be a treat for you��

pretty sad for a dealer like u to sink so low. I’ll mention it to the Porsche Burlingame guys who invited me to an event.

Feel free to try to sell the exclusivity of the Porsche cars. However that ship has sailed.

We covered in previous posts of your Rolex that I don’t wear Rolex because of Dbags. But if you ever make it to Silicon Valley (California 1% 514k for 2017) from Missouri (1% income level is 324k for 2017 returns), I’ll let you touch my tourbillon on the winder. Don’t have a timex, closest is a Swatch and my favorite watch, a Miles Davis edition Oris automatic with four complications (day-date-second- chrono).

Last edited by Parcival; 12-22-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

pretty sad for a dealer like u to sink so low. I’ll show it to the Porsche Burlingame guys who invited me to an event.

Feel free to trying to sell the exclusivity of the Porsche cars. However that ship has sailed.

We covered in previous posts of your Rolex that I don’t wear Rolex because of Dbags. But if you ever make it to Silicon Valley from Missouri (1% income level is 255k for 2017 returns), I’ll let you touch my tourbillon on the winder. My favorite watch is a Miles Davis edition Oris automatic with four complications (day-date-second- chrono).

Yea.....I was a Chevrolet dealer when I bought my C7, but decided to sell it when I bought my Porsche dealership. Just trying to decide what exotic I would like to buy next so I can start looking for one of those dealerships as well. I love you....you crack me up brother! I would say another reason you don wear Rolex’s and drive Porches is becaouse what you currently own is a stretch.....nice car though.....sure shouldn’t feel embarrassed. Brother.....you set the benchmark for low!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-22-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Bingo, dealer!! Pathetic!

Old 12-22-2018, 10:14 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Multiple dealerships.......make mega money and could buy and sell you many times over! Yep.....you got me pegged for sure!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

I can tell from your avatar your quite the dreamer as well. I would say a Porsche and Rolex might be a good start in helping you to realize that dream. Just having some fun with you and I am sure your really a great guy!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:25 PM
Thart53
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 68 Posts

Yea.....I was a Chevrolet dealer when I bought my C7, but decided to sell it when I bought my Porsche dealership. Just trying to decide what exotic I would like to buy next so I can start looking for one of those dealerships as well. I love you....you crack me up brother! I would say another reason you don wear Rolex’s and drive Porches is becaouse what you currently own is a stretch.....nice car though.....sure shouldn’t feel embarrassed. Brother.....you set the benchmark for low!

Multiple dealerships.......make mega money and could buy and sell you many times over! Yep.....you got me pegged for sure!

Ladies ladies, you're both beautiful.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Thart53
Ladies ladies, you're both beautiful.
LOL. Just having fun with the low hanging fruit😏
ByByBMW (12-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 12-22-2018, 11:11 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

So you 2 are arguing over who is better based on your watches ?!?!

WOW.
Parcival (12-23-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mjcourt
So you 2 are arguing over who is better based on your watches ?!?!

WOW.
what are you talking about.....I use a sun dial.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:22 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

As a Porsche dealership owner and fellow Corvette Forum enthusiast, can you get me a GT3 allocation at 10% below MSRP. I'll promise to "like" all your future comments !

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?