Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 PM
JustinZ06
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Corvettes are great cars and very capable. Loved mine, had a blast in it. C7 Z06 is fast, comfortable, good looking, easy to maintain, best bang for the buck, an American Performance Icon, a track monster, and list can go on. However, I see multiple Z06s throughout each week. It just does not feel unique to me. It can be an unbalanced handful at times. It does not have 2 small seats in the back for my 5 and 7 year old. My wife couldnt drive the manual and wanted to enjoy the car too. The auto overheats and does not shift as fast manually as I would prefer so I would never buy one. It was basically a car for me to drive alone. The 911 Targa GTS I replaced it with has seats for all of us to ride together occasionally in. I put winter tires on it and can drive in snow even if I like with AWD. It is so balanced it is crazy and feels way better driving than a Z06. I am personally faster in this car than the Z06. There are very few Targa GTS in country and doubtful another is optioned the same as mine because of extensive customizations offefed by Porsche. PDK gear box is just amazing and is best auto transmission I have ever seen. In manual it shifts before I can even start to release paddle. I could give more comparrisons but... My point is this, for me the car I bought is the best car available for me, my family and current phase in life. Better than a corvette, Ford GT, Lambo, Ferrari, or whatever else. The C7 Z06 and some other sports cars will get a better lap time at most tracks in the hands of a Pro and thats fine and I can appreciate that car and the owner that wants that. The C7 Z06 has a certain raging American raw in your face power that is fun but is not what I want right now. It may be the better car for some and may be their perfect car. The 911 Targa GTS is unique, fits my life, still is fast as crap and is just all I could ever hope for in a car. I am still excited to see the C8 and look forward to real validated information to be released. I will not be buying one, but I will appreciate it and hope it is an awesome car. To each their own and each of fhe 2 are fantastic cars with a different personality and attributes. I am sure some corvette owners who have never driven a 911 or found one of fhe 23 versions that is perfect for them might want fo switch if they did or had the money to switch. On the other hand I am sure there are 911 owners who a c7 or c8 might be a better car for if they gave it a chance and checked it out.
The following 6 users liked this post by JustinZ06:
ByByBMW (12-22-2018), Dr. ice (12-22-2018), Mikegerm_C5 (12-24-2018), Parcival (12-23-2018), PurpleLion (12-23-2018), RedDrgnZ06 (12-23-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
Bingo, dealer!! Pathetic!

You two are epic...some days I’m on one guys side some days the other...

The entertainment is always guaranteed...keep it up .
Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by mjcourt
As a Porsche dealership owner and fellow Corvette Forum enthusiast, can you get me a GT3 allocation at 10% below MSRP. I'll promise to "like" all your future comments !
Lets make it 15%, but don’t tell Parcival....he thinks we are best friends and will want the same😏. LOL.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinZ06
Corvettes are great cars and very capable. Loved mine, had a blast in it. C7 Z06 is fast, comfortable, good looking, easy to maintain, best bang for the buck, an American Performance Icon, a track monster, and list can go on. However, I see multiple Z06s throughout each week. It just does not feel unique to me. It can be an unbalanced handful at times. It does not have 2 small seats in the back for my 5 and 7 year old. My wife couldnt drive the manual and wanted to enjoy the car too. The auto overheats and does not shift as fast manually as I would prefer so I would never buy one. It was basically a car for me to drive alone. The 911 Targa GTS I replaced it with has seats for all of us to ride together occasionally in. I put winter tires on it and can drive in snow even if I like with AWD. It is so balanced it is crazy and feels way better driving than a Z06. I am personally faster in this car than the Z06. There are very few Targa GTS in country and doubtful another is optioned the same as mine because of extensive customizations offefed by Porsche. PDK gear box is just amazing and is best auto transmission I have ever seen. In manual it shifts before I can even start to release paddle. I could give more comparrisons but... My point is this, for me the car I bought is the best car available for me, my family and current phase in life. Better than a corvette, Ford GT, Lambo, Ferrari, or whatever else. The C7 Z06 and some other sports cars will get a better lap time at most tracks in the hands of a Pro and thats fine and I can appreciate that car and the owner that wants that. The C7 Z06 has a certain raging American raw in your face power that is fun but is not what I want right now. It may be the better car for some and may be their perfect car. The 911 Targa GTS is unique, fits my life, still is fast as crap and is just all I could ever hope for in a car. I am still excited to see the C8 and look forward to real validated information to be released. I will not be buying one, but I will appreciate it and hope it is an awesome car. To each their own and each of fhe 2 are fantastic cars with a different personality and attributes. I am sure some corvette owners who have never driven a 911 or found one of fhe 23 versions that is perfect for them might want fo switch if they did or had the money to switch. On the other hand I am sure there are 911 owners who a c7 or c8 might be a better car for if they gave it a chance and checked it out.
There are a lot of GREAT cars on the market these days, you have to love it. I've driven my buddies 991.1 GT3 on two different tracks and was very impressed. I'm a manual transmission guy, but that PDK made me consider an automatic (if it's like a PDK). Price is my main deterrent to a new GT3 as $160k+ is beyond what I am willing to spend on a car.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pietro c7

You two are epic...some days I’m on one guys side some days the other...

The entertainment is always guaranteed...keep it up .
....and entertainment is ever so correct!
Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Umm I don't know where you live but where I'm from 911's are a dime a dozen! I probably saw 10-20 just today while I can't remember the last time I saw a Z06. I'm guessing like 3-6 days ago!. Seeing a 911 is like seeing a Camry in LA! I'm being sarcastic but not by much. There's a sense of sexiness the Z06 possesses that a 911's blandness can't touch imo. And as far as 0-60 times, that's just some magazine gimmick. If you feel you're faster then that's all that counts I guess.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:11 AM
RedDrgnZ06
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar experience in not being able to drive the kids in the Z06, so was constantly finding myself driving our SUV. Additionally, I found the excellent sounding exhaust to be a double edged sword: sounded great when I got on the gas, but also signaled to everyone in a 3 mile radius that I was getting on it. While I truly loved the sound, I wanted something more inconspicuous. So for now, I have right car for me: looks great, is fast, able to drive my kids, and trackable. The obvious downside is that my wallet is lighter; but as they say, “you can have anything you want, but not everything...”
Old 12-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Wait a second!
SOOO.. Dr. ICE is a Porsche dealer/pusher!!??
ROLF!!!!! 10X!
Make that 0-60 2.1 then!! :-)

Merry Christmas guys.
The following users liked this post:
Parcival (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 09:12 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Wait a second!
ROLF!!!!! 10X!

Merry Christmas guys.
Damn.....you and your twin brother Parcival have me figured out. It’s common knowledge that all of us Porsche dealership owners start by owning Corvettes. Keep trying.....I know you are a researcher. It’s the only way you can be a resident expert on all cars without owning anything more than a $30k C6. I love ya both!

Merry Christmas and Cheers!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-23-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

Damn.....you and your twin brother Parcival have me figured out. It’s common knowledge that all of us Porsche dealership owners start by owning Corvettes. Keep trying.....I know you are a researcher. It’s the only way you can be a resident expert on all cars without owning anything more than a $30k C6. I love ya both!

Merry Christmas and Cheers!

lol it’s always funny when a stealer finally comes out of his closet after months of pumping a thread here.

youve lost credibility, just like when you used “base” earlier to describe a C7z with 1lz trim (mine is a ‘17 M7 with carbon ceramics and PDR, just ask boardwalk auto), whereas when I referred to your bases, I really meant your ‘15 base Stingray you bought as a GM dealer, and then the unoptioned nonturbo/nonGT2/nonGT3/non918/nonCarreraGT/non4s base Carrera. funny thing is even one model down from my “base Z”, the lowly GS (of which I traded in a 3lt ‘17), is as fast as the P turbo S in Pobst’s hands!

If I were you, I would drop the braggadocio here... you answered OP’s question of why not buy a Porsche? ...Dr. Ice has to resort to selling them on Corvette forum!

Last edited by Parcival; 12-23-2018 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

lol it’s always funny when a stealer finally comes out of his closet after months of pumping a thread here.

youve lost credibility, just like when you used “base” earlier to describe a C7z with 1lz trim (mine is a ‘17 with carbon ceramics and PDR, just ask boardwalk auto), whereas when I referred to your bases, I really meant your ‘15 base Stingray you sold as a GM dealer to buy your unoptioned nonturbo/nonGT2/nonGT3/non918/nonCarreraGT/non4s base Carrera. funny thing is even one model down from my “base Z”, the lowly GS (of which I sold a 3lt ‘17), is as fast as the P turbo S in Pobst’s hands!

If I were you, I would drop the braggadocio here... you answered OP’s question of why not buy a Porsche? ...Dr. Ice is selling them on Corvette forum!

Too funny! Your non supported performance facts are hilarious. I own 4 dealerships in CA, and 2 in AZ but choose to live in my small town in MO due to its low cost of living��. I also have a bridge to sell you in Parcivals home town unless he’s already bought it! All kidding aside, I sure as hell wish I owned a Porsche dealership. It would sure beat the fertilizer your selling on this forum.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Too funny! Your non supported performance facts are hilarious. I own 4 dealerships in CA, and 2 in AZ but choose to live in my small town in MO due to its low cost of living��. I also have a bridge to sell you in Parcivals home town unless he’s already bought it! All kidding aside, I sure as hell wish I owned a Porsche dealership.

more braggadocio from Dr Ice, dealer extraordinaire, on an Internet forum what a surprise!

i mentioned earlier
fastestlaps.com
the guys here sure know how to search it!

just input Corvette Z or GS vs Porsche turbo S and choose your favorite track (Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, VIR), you’ll see how slow every non-918, non-Gt/GT2/GT3 car is, sorry dealer;(

Last edited by Parcival; 12-23-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

more braggadocio from Dr Ice, dealer extraordinaire, on an Internet forum what a surprise!

i mentioned earlier
fastestlaps.com
the guys here sure know how to search it!

just input Corvette Z or GS vs Porsche turbo S and choose your favorite track (Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, VIR), you’ll see how slow every non-918, non-Gt/GT2/GT3 car is, sorry dealer;(

Wrong on every count again. Your score is failing to improve.....keep shooting though.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Wrong on every count again. Your score is failing to improve.....keep shooting though.

sorry buddy, as I said try bribing the fastestlaps moderators ! you can write off the expense as a marketing cost to your dealership!

let me guess in your next post on this Internet forum, you’ll respond abt which of your supposed dealerships to write off to?

what are you talking about.....I use a sun dial.
Rolex makes a sundial?

That’s all youve talking abt since post 30-something.

Your Rolex and base Carrera in matching faux silver?

I just ran into my local land rover salesman at the supermarket... he drives a base F-type...

Last edited by Parcival; 12-23-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

sorry buddy, as I said try bribing the fastestlaps moderators ! you can write off the expense as a marketing cost to your dealership!
Info is only as good as reported! What dealership should I write my time off to.......my Chevrolet dealership or Porsche?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Wait a second!
ROLF!!!!! 10X!

Merry Christmas guys.
It was our fault for not immediately knowing:

“Dr” is short for “dealer”, not a medical thing.

merry Xmas to you too

Old 12-23-2018, 11:08 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

It was our fault for not immediately knowing:

“Dr” is short for “dealer”, not a medical thing.

merry Xmas to you too

Keep guessing boys. I will let you know when you are warm! I would suggest both of you pool your resources and hope that two negatives become a positive.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 12-23-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?

Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

​​​​​

awesome, u racked your car enthusiast Porsche fanboy brain and that was the best ?! I won’t need to call u names .. u sport a 911+ Rolex and think “sweet, I’ve made it”!

n.b it’s “you’re” not your
Dear grammarians, it's actually you're, NOT your and NOT youre.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Jimp94605
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

All this talk about being faster have the speed limits gone up or has beer consumption? Reality the 911 will hold value better than any Corvette. I love my C7 and can’t wait to see the C8. GM with all their troubles needs rto o be careful about pricing anything over 75k pushes outa lot of buyers on a relatively low volume car.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:13 PM
RedDrgnZ06
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Any chance we can all appreciate that we have different tastes in sports cars, but nevertheless we share a love of them?
The following 5 users liked this post by RedDrgnZ06:
ByByBMW (12-24-2018), Dez’sC7 (12-23-2018), Dr. ice (12-23-2018), mjcourt (12-23-2018), Parcival (12-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Question-Why would someone just not buy a Porsche?