Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Body Materials

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Default C8 Body Materials

We might see extensive usage of Carbon Fiber on the C8. In May GMC announced the 2019 Sierra Denali would have a Carbon Fiber Bed Option where the steel pickup bed is replaced with a carbon fiber box instead. If the technology is in place to do a pickup bed it may be in place to do a Corvette Body. It might provide a drastic weight reduction and truly enhance performance since weight affects turning, stopping and acceleration.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
CliffB-99 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

If the cost of the parts allows it, yes we will see it. Trying to shave off 30 lbs off the car at the expense of increasing the cost of the car by $5,000+ is not something Chevy will do. That approach is typically reserved for high-end , low production cars. I'd love for Chevy to squeeze every last ounce off the car, but nobody wants to pay for it hahaha.

I'd love to see the Z06 back to 3,100 lbs. That would be amazing with a TT V8 and ME.

Last edited by C7pimp; 08-22-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:20 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

The weight savings between the latest iteration of light-weight SMC and carbon fiber is not as much as you'd think.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
ArmchairArchitect (08-22-2018), JimNeedsC7 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:22 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
I'd love to see the Z06 back to 3,100 lbs. That would be amazing with a TT V8 and ME.
Partially agree but would want a NA RPM motor. Tired of cars getting so porky. The C5 and C6 Z were light and simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
-vet (09-01-2018), ArmchairArchitect (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:41 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Bill, I agree that your thesis is correct for year 2+ models — definitely for ZORA. (In fact I like many, many of your posts). However, for the 2020 ME, I have confirmed information that what you are suggesting will not happen. Cost containment for the ME’s entry price will rule for next year’s ME.

However, GM will use its light-weighting program to reduce weight in other areas. Sorry but I can not share more publicly, as that was shared on the condition I not be more specific. Perhaps the most informative video I have seen in the last year is this one. Absolutely fascinating (2:35) video.

https://video.marketing.gm.com/10508...-weighting.mp4
NewYuriCity (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Partially agree but would want a NA RPM motor. Tired of cars getting so porky. The C5 and C6 Z were light and simple.

I'm neither here nor there on NA vs FI. I just want the power. If you can give me a reliable, efficient NA 650 HP V8 motor, go for it.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:39 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

From a body standpoint, as others have pointed out, I don't think there would be that much weight savings over the fiberglass it has now, to justify the cost. I could see GM using carbon fiber in select areas under the body where both weight + rigidity/stiffness is important.

But do remember Corvette was the first to mass-produce carbon fiber body parts on a production car when they created the Le Mans edition of the C5 Z06 with a carbon fiber hood to pay tribute to the multiple C5 wins at Le Mans, so it's not out of the question.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 08-22-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

If the cost of the parts allows it, yes we will see it. Trying to shave off 30 lbs off the car at the expense of increasing the cost of the car by $5,000+ is not something Chevy will do. That approach is typically reserved for high-end , low production cars. I'd love for Chevy to squeeze every last ounce off the car, but nobody wants to pay for it hahaha.

It was hinted to me this truck bed involves new manufacturing technology which reduces the cost of making carbon fiber parts. So CF manufacturing cost may not make a car too costly anymore. To meet the 2025 fuel mileage requirements they need to lighten all of their vehicles including econoboxes and CF is one way to do that. GM has previously used the low volume Corvette platform to try new technologies before introducing them fully into mainstream vehicle production.
Bill
Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM
marknagy13
Pro

Received 1,112 Likes on 326 Posts

My guess is that they will use more Carbon Fiber in the Z06 or Zr1 version. Probably too expensive if they want an affordable base model to start.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:57 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by B Stead
One way to reduce weight is to avoid cylinder deactivation systems and avoid multi-mode muffler systems.
Take this is a grain of salt (since it is 2nd hand info) but when I was at Spring Mountain one of the instructors over lunch said that the new cylinder deactivation system (implied in the C8) was more complex than the one in the C7. Instead of just 4 or 8 cylinders it could do 1, 2, 4, or 8 and it wasn't always the same cylinders firing like it is with the current system.

I had my doubts but then the 2019 Silverado trucks were released and the ones with a V8 had DFM--Dynamic Fuel Management. It can do exactly what was said. Does this mean the C8 will have DFM? I have no idea but it is an interesting "coincidence".
-vet (09-01-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
Take this is a grain of salt (since it is 2nd hand info) but when I was at Spring Mountain one of the instructors over lunch said that the new cylinder deactivation system (implied in the C8) was more complex than the one in the C7. Instead of just 4 or 8 cylinders it could do 1, 2, 4, or 8 and it wasn't always the same cylinders firing like it is with the current system.

I had my doubts but then the 2019 Silverado trucks were released and the ones with a V8 had DFM--Dynamic Fuel Management. It can do exactly what was said. Does this mean the C8 will have DFM? I have no idea but it is an interesting "coincidence".
Could very well be so. It is more a factor of software that has no weight Vs hardware. Any hardware additions would be offset by replacing outmoded hardware. Probably lighter weight as well with newer technology.

Bill

Old 08-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by marknagy13
My guess is that they will use more Carbon Fiber in the Z06 or Zr1 version. Probably too expensive if they want an affordable base model to start.
Assuming CF will remain expensive when it might not. All the manufacturers are looking to reduce weight as that is the easiest way to keep performance as gas mileage requirements increase and it looks like there are plenty of efforts to reduce the price to the point it is competitive with other materials when considering weight, strength and dimensional stability. It might cost more per pound but if it's usage reduces other costs the overall affect may be to reduce the cost of the product, thus its price. Reduced weight is free HP, improves gas mileage and permits better braking and cornering. I know the carbon fiber front fender on my C6Z weighed 2 lbs total. The box it shipped in weighed 35 lbs.

Bill
Old 08-23-2018, 08:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Here is a link to another source on the CF front: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/03/...er-says-reuss/
In this article Mark Reuss mentions that GMC leveraged developments in CF from other car programs within GM.

Figuring out how to efficiently incorporate something as advanced as a carbon fiber reinforced plastic truck bed appears to be no easy task, but it appears that General Motors was able to leverage learnings from other vehicle programs to make this feature viable. According to GM head of product development Mark Reuss, that’s exactly what happened.

“I would say that there are learnings from other vehicles that went into the making of the bed,” said Reuss, in an afternoon media scrum during the 2019 Sierra 1500 reveal. “And that’s a big deal in terms of learning to get on these curves and see what we can drive out of it, and get the efficiencies, and really lead.”

Reuss didn’t specify as to which vehicles or programs GM’s truck division leveraged. Though if we look at which vehicles currently feature carbon fiber integration, it’s likely from learnings of performance vehicles such as the Corvette ZR1 and Camaro ZL1, or perhaps something in the pipeline.

Reuss, a career GM employee, also hinted that the learnings through the development of the 2019 Sierra’s CFRP bed can be implemented into other vehicles, but left out specifics.

Bill
Old 08-23-2018, 08:54 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Bill, I am not disagreeing with every word you have written and the good info you provided us in your last four posts. You are absolutely correct that GM is extending the value/cost feasibility of CF derivatives in trucks, SUV’s and even elsewhere. However, I am sharing instead specific information as to what materials are being primarily used in the 2020 ME Corvette.

PM me if you want more information.

Last edited by elegant; 08-23-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Corvette 1467
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

personally I don’t think $5,000 isn’t that much to get extra carbon.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Body Materials

Quick Reply: C8 Body Materials