Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't it be Smart Marketing to Release the Top of the Line ME First?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:37 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,299 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Default Wouldn't it be Smart Marketing to Release the Top of the Line ME First?

With so much speculation about this next generation (how much will it cost, will there also be a front engine model, etc), one thing we know for certain is that GM will be definitely releasing a ME model. Some think the ME will be THE platform for C8. Some think GM will keep a similar pricing structure as the past and others think the ME will be less accessible and priced out of the market for the majority of Corvette buyers.

I'm personally of the opinion that the ME will be the C8 and will be fairly accessible for most current Corvette buyers, at least in base trim. However, part of me really would like to see what GM could do with attempting to create a car with limited compromises, where costs are less of a priority.

What if GM releases a true halo ME car like this first to make a statement... a $200k+ car that will spank most exotics? Release this car in limited numbers first and create hype for the new platform. Lay down the hammer right away. Not everyone will be able to afford one or even buy one, similar to the Ford GT. I'd love to see that car from GM.

Then, a year later, release the ME platform for the rest of the Corvette models based off of that platform. Base model will be accessible and share some technologies and aesthetics with the halo car, albeit at an attainable price (less fancy materials, technologies, etc). There would still be high performance models of the ME in future years, but none would ever approach the price, limited availability, and performance of the limited edition halo car that was released first.

To me, this would create a lot of hype for the brand, hopefully change the opinion of the brand outside of the usual Corvette faithful and enthusiasts, and be a smart way to market the C8.

Heck, Apple did something similar with the iPhone X. They released a $1k phone with technologies and design that will be used for future phones a year later.

Keep the C7 alive during the year the halo ME is released and then convert the platform over to the ME C8 based off of the halo car a year later.

Not saying it's going to happen like this, but IMO it would be a smart marketing decision to make a big splash with this revolutionary change to the Corvette brand.

Last edited by JockItch; 08-22-2018 at 10:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JockItch:
SpeedyD (08-22-2018), tooold2race (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:45 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

I don’t think it would be wise,
much less exposure,much older crowd buying them,
and less frequent sightings .

Seeing one would be as rare as seeing a lunar eclipse.

By releasing them in the normal(and anticipated) sequence.

Much more exposure and buzz created,
not to mention ,better chance of younger and next generation vette buyers.
The following 3 users liked this post by pietro c7:
fasttoys (08-22-2018), Goldbug (08-22-2018), Michael A (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:53 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pietro c7
I don’t think it would be wise,
much less exposure,much older crowd buying them,
and less frequent sightings .

Seeing one would be as rare as seeing a lunar eclipse.

By releasing them in the normal(and anticipated) sequence.

Much more exposure and buzz created,
not to mention ,better chance of younger and next generation vette buyers.
People don't need to see it on the street all the time, all they need to do is lust after it, read about it in magazines, and view online reviews and videos. Create true desire for those enthusiasts that would never consider a Corvette in the past. That's the type of buzz GM wants to create to expand the brand.

Then a year later, those younger buyers you mention would have a chance to buy the the far more attainable C8.

Companies create demand all the time by creating hype in the market and limiting availability.

If Ford released a ME based off of the GT for $70-100k you can bet your *** they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

Last edited by JockItch; 08-22-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:03 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Good thoughts and I think it could possibly work, but IMO Chevy has a great think going with how they have done the C6 and C7 with the progressive releasing of Hi-Po models later down the line. Most car MFG do this. In fact, I can't think of any that do the opposite. Especially with exotic car lines, they have the budgets to create extreme versions with the latest and most up to date tech by the year and the light-weight higher power models always follow the base model. Any manufacturer that offers a performance vehicle or HI-Po version of their car:

Ferrari (Pista, Stradale, Scuderia, Speciale, FXX)
Lamborghini (S, SJV, Performante)
Porsche (GT2 , GT3/RS, 911 Turbo S/Exclusive, etc)
Maserati (GT MC)
Bugatti (Grand Sprot Vitesse),
Audi RS
BMW M
Mercedes AMG
Infiniti Red Sport
Lexus F
Ford Shelby/Cobra/Mach 1/Bullit
Chevy ZL1/ZR1/GS/Z06/1LE
Honda Si, Type-R.
Nissan NISMO
And a whole bunch of others I can't think of

Most companies are 2 to 4 years behind the curve on technology just because they need production vehicles to have a 3 to 5 year life span. When a new 2020 Model is released of any car in the next year, the technology is already 2 to 3 years old or even older because the development cycle is just as long..

The old adage "Don't fix something that's not broken" is a lesson full of wisdom. I too full believe that the Mid-Engine is the C8 and that the FE will eventually be a thing of the past for Corvette and the entry-level C8 needs to hit that $60-$65K price range
The following 3 users liked this post by C7pimp:
fasttoys (08-22-2018), Goldbug (08-22-2018), JockItch (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Might be interesting but my dealer Stanford tells me it is the normal corvette intro, base and then more expensive models

sure wish they would bring out the big dog first

Im thinking a hybrid or all electric is in the mix thus makes more sense to go base proven design first

Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

I think there is a tipping point. A lot of people have mentioned releasing a 200k Halo ME model that will "spank" most supercars. Don't people understand that a ton of buyers of supercars do NOT care what other cars are faster than theirs? Do you think the guy in the Ferrari 488 cares that the C7 ZR1 may be able to set faster laps? No he doesn't. I doubt there will be to many guys cross shopping a C8 and a Mclaren 720S.

I think Corvette should do what they always did. Offer an insane bang for the buck car with great looks. If they can make a ME C8 that starts under 70k and improves on the C7 performance and comes anywhere close to a Mclaren 570S I think that's a phenomenal achievement,.

Last edited by thegame; 08-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JockItch (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

I just don’t see it your way OP....

Beatlemania was created on the streets...before people paid big bucks to see them in concert halls and by their memorabilia .

Levi’s were worn by the poor ,before the rich dressed them up with Italian shoes and tweed blazers.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:19 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,149 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Make a ME V8 Corvette < $70K and they'll sell all they can build.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thegame
I think there is a tipping point. A lot of people have mentioned releasing a 200k Halo ME model that will "spank" most supercars. Don't people understand that a ton of buyers of supercars do NOT care what other cars are faster than theirs? Do you think the guy in the Ferrari 488 cares that the C7 ZR1 may be able to set faster laps? No he doesn't. I doubt there will be to many guys cross shopping a C8 and a Mclaren 720S.

I think Corvette should do what they always did. Offer an insane bang for the buck car with great looks. If they can make a ME C8 that starts under 70k and improves on the C7 performance and comes anywhere close to a Mclaren 570S I think that's a phenomenal achievement,.
That's a fair point, it's not all about the raw numbers or fastest track times... especially with the exotic crowd. Driving dynamics and refinement are very important in this segment. To use the Ford GT as an example again, it gets most of it's high praise from it's exception handling. It's not the fastest car out there or the cheapest, but it's worth every penny... even for a Ford.

I'd love to see what GM could do without compromises of a platform based off a $60k vehicle to shed that stigma even further.

Last edited by JockItch; 08-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:31 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,189 Likes on 592 Posts

Hopefully GM takes zero queues from Apple as the iphone X was far from being anything close to resembling the "future" of cell phone technology. It was simply a device that in many aspects was Apple catching up to its competitors. This is something GM absolutely needs to avoid.

A ME halo car strategy while interesting and possible would not be the best one for GM even if the car ends up being absolutely flawless. Even then it's a tough one as this type of tactic breeds skeptics and simply opens the car up to extreme scrutiny and criticism. IF the ME is intended to be the C7 replacement it needs to embody everything that Corvette has stood for which also includes a low cost of entry. If the ME really is going to be offered at a $60K base price then it's direct competitor is the 718 Cayman.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
This all Day
Old 08-22-2018, 11:38 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Hopefully GM takes zero queues from Apple as the iphone X was far from being anything close to resembling the "future" of cell phone technology. It was simply a device that in many aspects was Apple catching up to its competitors. This is something GM absolutely needs to avoid.

A ME halo car strategy while interesting and possible would not be the best one for GM even if the car ends up being absolutely flawless. Even then it's a tough one as this type of tactic breeds skeptics and simply opens the car up to extreme scrutiny and criticism. IF the ME is intended to be the C7 replacement it needs to embody everything that Corvette has stood for which also includes a low cost of entry. If the ME really is going to be offered at a $60K base price then it's direct competitor is the 718 Cayman.
That's not the point of the Apple analogy. Apple basically released their future iPhone 8 a year early with the iPhone X. They charged a premium for those early adopters and included features not available on the current line beyond the iPhone X (but will be available in future models). They created their new look and released it a year early with the X.

It's not a perfect analogy based off of my proposed Corvette ME scenario, but there are similarities in marketing and that's the point I was trying to make. This has nothing to do with iPhone vs Android preference or opinions.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I don't disagree. This thought was more thinking outside the box to further increase demand, desire, and respect for the brand beyond the current demographic.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Tesla promised a $35k car but they don't exist. They are selling them for $60k - $70k. So it is working for Tesla. Kind of.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:52 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

One of the significant advantages of the traditional phased approach of incrementally higher performance variants, is the later cars benefit greatly from the learnings captured via deployment of the lesser variants. You can learn a great deal with modeling and pre-release testing, but manufacturers always discover corrections/improvements after customers put the products through the ringer of real life over time.

Thus, in addition to turning the usual release strategy on its head, it would have the perverse reality of the later, base models being better sorted than first released "halo" model, rather than the other way around.

I don't see it happening.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
JockItch (08-22-2018), Michael A (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Stop making sense...this is the internet damn it.

Agreed.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,189 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
It's not a perfect analogy based off of my proposed Corvette ME scenario, but there are similarities in marketing and that's the point I was trying to make. This has nothing to do with iPhone vs Android preference or opinions.
If you reread my post from a different perspective its actually a great analogy for what GM should not do with the release. And who said anything about android????

Get notified of new replies

To Wouldn't it be Smart Marketing to Release the Top of the Line ME First?

Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 PM
marknagy13
Pro

Received 1,113 Likes on 327 Posts

First of all, the Zr1 already spanks almost all exotics. Secondly, that would be awesome if they did some kind of $200k supercar that took the interior and comfort to the next level. I would be on board with that.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OnPoint
One of the significant advantages of the traditional phased approach of incrementally higher performance variants, is the later cars benefit greatly from the learnings captured via deployment of the lesser variants. You can learn a great deal with modeling and pre-release testing, but manufacturers always discover corrections/improvements after customers put the products through the ringer of real life over time.

Thus, in addition to turning the usual release strategy on its head, it would have the perverse reality of the later, base models being better sorted than first released "halo" model, rather than the other way around.

I don't see it happening.
Valid points and I agree I don't see it happening in reality either.

Honestly in this proposed scenario the high performance model released at the end of the generation (ZR1?) would likely have similar performance to the "halo car" at a cheaper price with the improvements in the platform and technology over time as you mention.

Exclusivity and a limited production run would still make the halo car the most desirable of all the models though. This is something the Corvette brand in it's current state will never have.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JDSKY
If you reread my post from a different perspective its actually a great analogy for what GM should not do with the release. And who said anything about android????
Because the original analogy has nothing to do with catching up with competitors or the "future of cell phone technology". It's about a company's marketing strategy, which is what this post is about.

Quick Reply: Wouldn't it be Smart Marketing to Release the Top of the Line ME First?