Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At Carlisle and I have some news come on in

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

The trunk space in a Corvette is great, however if some needs to be sacrificed in the name of ME or performance I say do it. I have a SUV and a Truck for hauling stuff around.
The following users liked this post:
Stingray23 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 10:15 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Many of us have multiple vehicules,I’m sure we could all figure out a way to haul our stuff around...

Thats not the point the OP is trying to make.
I buy what the OP was told at a 100 miles per hour,
it makes a lot of sense to me,and more importantly it assures team corvette the volumes required.

At this point,you could could throw all the starting price of near a 100000$ for the mid engine theory,completely out the window.Its gonna be way cheaper .
Old 08-26-2018, 10:28 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a C4 coupe and since that 3 verts which includes My C7..a trip..pack..go and always remember..there a dry cleaner and laundromats and most good hotels
ofer the needed services....Hell I used to travel Europe back when on business with a garmet bag and small carry on.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Not worried about carrying two sets of golf clubs and my corvettes are always my daily drivers..

If the c8 has halfway decent trunk its cool...

the c2 and most of the c3 s didn't even have trunk opeing...lol

fwiw they included best selling years ever...

id imagine gm will make it so one set of clubs will fit.

if i remember correctly the nsx will hold one set of clubs is you take one type of club out of the golf bag and lay it in the trunck by itself along side the bag of the other clubs.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 PM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Golf clubs? Seriously? If that is your measure of a "sports car" it is in a completely different universe than mine. Like most Americans, the Corvette needs to go on a serious diet.

Last edited by Black18Z06; 08-26-2018 at 10:37 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by Black18Z06:
alienranch (08-28-2018), ctmccloskey (09-03-2018), FinsterforstFan (08-26-2018), golden2husky (08-27-2018), In-n-Out (08-26-2018), JimNeedsC7 (08-29-2018), OnPoint (08-27-2018), pdiddy972 (09-02-2018), PurpleLion (08-27-2018), rgregory (08-27-2018), stealthy08 (08-27-2018), Stingray23 (08-31-2018), uneedthis2 (08-27-2018), Z06Fiend (08-27-2018) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Black18Z06
Golf clubs? Seriously? If that is your measure of a "sports car" it is in a completely different universe than mine. Like most Americans, the Corvette needs to go on a serious diet.
Amen!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:20 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Amen!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:39 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

It needs to lose the JUNK in the TRUNK!
Old 08-27-2018, 04:12 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

My old man came to California from Minnesota in his 1969 Corvette with most of the things he owned to start his life in the Navy. I took my 2000 Supercharged Corvette on a 2k mile road trip, with the final leg picking my gf at the time up and bringing her back from College with a lot of the things from her dorm. I also picked up a brand new 40" LCD TV in the box with that car from Sears in 2009 and brought it home. It was a perfect fit in the hatch.

It maybe hard for you to believe, but a lot of people do travel in their Corvettes. And some of us had it as our only vehicles.
Rapid Fred (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:03 AM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Hey. As long as I can do this if need be. Lol. Some people would complain if their ice cream was cold. Makes for fun reading as well as some head shakin'.
Name:  photo886.jpg
Views: 3875
Size:  306.7 KB
Yes, that's a toilet in my 95 vert. The only car I had at the time. Amazing what can fit in a corvette.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:48 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I'm kidding obviously. The point is that fittiing two golf bags in to a Corvette should not be a design criteria.

The idea that what could be a world class sportscar should be significantly compromised for what must be a fraction of a percent of its intended usage is absurd.

You can not be all things to all people and trying to would be a huge design error. I don't think it'll happen.
Agreed. First off a "golf bag" is not a standardized unit of measure. Also, why compromise a car's design around something like a golf club? I'll never own a golf club but I do own plenty of skis. I don't expect my Corvette to accommodate them. There are other vehicles designed for this kind of stuff. If I can get a few day's worth of clothing, etc for a 3 day trip in the car, that's good enough. Soft luggage and duffels go a long way to maximizing the space that you do have.
pdiddy972 (09-02-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I'm kidding obviously. The point is that fittiing two golf bags in to a Corvette should not be a design criteria.

The idea that what could be a world class sportscar should be significantly compromised for what must be a fraction of a percent of its intended usage is absurd.

You can not be all things to all people and trying to would be a huge design error. I don't think it'll happen.
^^^ Nailed it ^^^
Old 08-27-2018, 08:34 AM
HMDS
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts
Default I don’t golf, but, can I get a clear frunk lid?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 AM
70Apollostaged
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Junk in the trunk

Storage space in any car is always a bonus. However, the constant decree of fitting large items in a sportcar is exactly why the Corvette garners the derisive "old guy's car" reputation. Its not price. Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini are all significantly more expensive cars that dont carry that moniker. Team Corvette has been trying to drop the median age of buyers for years. Never gonna happen unless they build the car for people that WANT a sportscar first and foremost. Of.course, add utility and amenities but dont add compromising amounts just to satisfy a small segment of your buyers that think the damn thing should be able to carry more than an SUV and out luxury a Caddy. De-emphasize SOME of the reason waxer kings buy them and younger people will start to alter their opinion. Lots of these younger people might then buy one and being younger could easily be.repeat buhers down the road.

I work in the auto performance industry. I can tell you first hand the Corvette's rep as an old mans car is alive and well. Since the.C5 it has diminished but not enough by a long shot if Corvette wants to stay around for 60 more years.
pdiddy972 (09-02-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Apollostaged
Storage space in any car is always a bonus. However, the constant decree of fitting large items in a sportcar is exactly why the Corvette garners the derisive "old guy's car" reputation. Its not price. Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini are all significantly more expensive cars that dont carry that moniker. Team Corvette has been trying to drop the median age of buyers for years. Never gonna happen unless they build the car for people that WANT a sportscar first and foremost. Of.course, add utility and amenities but dont add compromising amounts just to satisfy a small segment of your buyers that think the damn thing should be able to carry more than an SUV and out luxury a Caddy. De-emphasize SOME of the reason waxer kings buy them and younger people will start to alter their opinion. Lots of these younger people might then buy one and being younger could easily be.repeat buhers down the road.

I work in the auto performance industry. I can tell you first hand the Corvette's rep as an old mans car is alive and well. Since the.C5 it has diminished but not enough by a long shot if Corvette wants to stay around for 60 more years.
When they re-designed the C4's seats (94, I believe) to fit fat butts, and then doubled down with the awful C5 and C6 seats, well that certainly spoke volumes about the target clientele. But, they sold a lot of them -- arguably, they listened to their customers.

I am one of those old guys for sure -- I frequently take long trips with my wife, luggage and both sets of clubs, and I really appreciate the Vette's functionality as well as 430 HP and great handling. I still miss the superb CLOTH seats from my '93, however. We haven't all gained 50 lbs since college...

I will figure out a way to get everything I need to where I need it to go (ShipSticks) if, as you call for, they tighten up the C8 (and I live long enough to afford a solid used one). I am sure, based on the C7, that they will at least get the seats right...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 08-27-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:54 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Cool.... buy a mid engine Corvette with very little cargo space to fit the "wants" of a very few people and then have your granddaughter follow you and your wife around in a SUV while you spend two weeks, drive 3,500 miles to visit eight national parks.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-27-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I think the two golf bags thing is pretty old by now. Not saying folks don't put golf bags in their vettes but I suspect the 1% rule is pretty close to the actual usage.
I am willing to bet that the number of people who use their C7 Corvette's to carry golf clubs is at least 2-3x the number of people who track their C7's.
People can argue for what they want in a Corvette, but the simple fact is the Corvette has endured for 66 years because it does many things well - once it becomes another Ferrari 488 or Ford Gt, its sales numbers will be comparable and its price will then rise accordingly.
The following 2 users liked this post by LIStingray:
AORoads (08-27-2018), JustinStrife (08-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To At Carlisle and I have some news come on in

Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Well... I asked because I needed to know. The answer I got was very pleasing in relation to storage space. I asked someone who has become a friend over the last couple of years and knows everything there is to know about the ME car if in 2 or 3 years I could still buy a front-engine rear-wheel-drive Corvette because I don't want to lose my storage space it's not what I want out of my Corvette and the answer I got was pretty gloomy sounds like it's going to be negative Which flies in the face of everything I was told prior.

but I was told Flatout straight to my face not to worry about storage space it will be a non-issue and I was very skeptical it was then elaborated that you could fit two golf bags in the new car and you're going to be very happy at which point I advised this person I was going to The Bash this year and they confirmed by saying you're going to love the batch this year that's all I can say.
MY Pantera had more storage space the my C4, ME does not have to mean cramped.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by traind
What is the thing that is only a fraction of a percent of its actual usage? My guess is that actual road course performance is used far less than the storage space in a typical Corvette. Most owners treat them like a GT. Of course, going to Mid Engine you could make an argument that this dynamic should shift to performance and track feel. But most mid-engine cars are trophies rather than driven on the track frequently. That is certainly the case with Ferraris.
I don't disagree with your assertion that most don't use the performance that a Corvette offers. Yet, the modern Thunderbird Convertible, only sold a handful of units even though it would be a much better fit for touring, dinners, and golfing.

My point is simply this: People are buying the world-class performance, the astounding magazine reviews, etc...of the Corvette. The car needs to offer amazing performance as that is what the public buys. Everyone here expects a little American made Ferrari as most of us can't really swing an actual Ferrari.

Homer's Do-It-all-car that BK'ed his smart rich brother.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-27-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:33 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

Chevy is trying to market the Vette to a younger demographic, not sure if that target audience is concerned about the possibility of cruising with two golf bags. Paul

Quick Reply: At Carlisle and I have some news come on in