Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Production start Date End of C7 FE Production

Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Also will be interesting to see how fast the aftermarket, like the supercharger providers, comes up to speed. Going to a ME configuration is a big change and not much of the previous work will apply.

Last edited by raylo; 09-02-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
How the ME and the C7 fair against each other maybe a factor on depreciation. Until the ME is out no one knows it's short comings. The Pontiac Fiero was a hit out of the box. Then owners found it was only good to run errands in town. No trunk space. Not enough interior space. Sales went away then car went away. Granted the Corvette has a lower break point and lower production should mean improved quality.
I can’t believe people still trying to compare it to the Fiero. Unbelievable.
The following 2 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
Boiler_81 (09-02-2018), rlhmarines (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 08:40 PM
TB427Z06
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TB427Z06
If this story comes to fruition, my current 2016 Laguna Blue C7 Z06 M7; my dream car; will be my last Corvette, especially since I'm 64 and retired. I'm just not a fan of the Mid Engine, DCT transmission Corvette. I had been thinking of trading my car for a 2019 Elkhart Lake Blue ZR1 M7, but that's probably not happening now, as they will not be discounting them and will be very hard to get before they stop making them in Aug. 2019.
Wow, this thread has gotten a lot of discussion since I last checked yesterday. For me I guess the article brought home the finality of the ending of the FE corvette, which saddened me. But I love my 2016 Z06 M7 and have no problem keeping it for a long time. In fact I have a 7 year extended warranty on it. I am disappointed that the ZR1 will only be a one year production run as I thought I might trade up eventually after they started discounting it when the M8 came out. Looks like the ZR1 will be in high demand until production ends, so no problem keeping my Z06. As far as the mid engine goes, I certainly wouldn't trade my Z06 for a base model, no matter how good it looks. Who knows, maybe when the C8 Z06/ZR1 comes out in a few years, I might want one more than the C7 ZR1 or I'll be able to buy a C7 ZR1 cheap as this is when they would probably take a hit in price.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:10 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,166 Likes on 586 Posts

I wish someone would define what "cheap prices" really means. It's relative and I think the only C7's that are really going to take the hit are those initially traded in on the new ME car. Dealers will steal them away from excited and anxious buyers that cannot wait to be the first on their local streets with the new car. Dealers will then turn around and just increase markups and make additional profits on those cars. I have shopped these things for years and have never experienced a Corvette fire sale. Not gonna happen for the majority of owners regardless of model or configuration.

Bottom line is the C7 is still a very desirable car for a wide swath of buyers that will not be able to afford a new ME being sold at full retail.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:33 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=TB427Z06;1597911991]Wow, this thread has gotten a lot of discussion since I last checked yesterday. For me I guess the article brought home the finality of the ending of the FE corvette, which saddened me. But I love my 2016 Z06 M7 and have no problem keeping it for a long time. In fact I have a 7 year extended warranty on it. I am disappointed that the ZR1 will only be a one year production run as I thought I might trade up eventually after they started discounting it when the M8 came out. Looks like the ZR1 will be in high demand until production ends, so no problem keeping my Z06. As far as the mid engine goes, I certainly wouldn't trade my Z06 for a base model, no matter how good it looks. Who knows, maybe when the C8 Z06/ZR1 comes out in a few years, I might want one more than the C7 ZR1 or I'll be able to buy a C7 ZR1 cheap as this is when they would probably take a hit in price.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bet on that happening. Since the ZR1 production ends in March, it will be a 1 year only car with about 3K built. Being the last FE ZR1 Corvette, it will be a collectible car. I saw brand new one go for $160K at Mecum last week. It was a phone buyer who had to pay an 18% fee on top of that price. You're never going to find one of these at a bargain price, although considering what you get for your money, it's already a bargain.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:41 PM
rlhmarines
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Who's to say that C7 will be the last FE Corvette...I'm of the opinion that we will have a new C8 FE and ME Corvette in the offerings for both camps to enjoy. JMHO
Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I can’t believe people still trying to compare it to the Fiero. Unbelievable.
it's not exactly saying it's like a Fiero. Fiero as a ME was extremely popular initially. GM made sure it couldn't compete with the Corvette. The short comings showed up 6 months after they were released. However useable space has been an issue with ME. Front trunk space is limited, depending on location of fuel tank(s)There isn't much space between engine bulkhead and seat back. They are cool, as a spare car but can lack even as a second car. Solstice,sky, Pantera, and DeLoreans all have similar issues. I worked on ME cars and understand there layout in the past. Now that cars are getting larger it may not apply. C1-4 is considerably smaller than C5-7. 80s Ferraris are smaller than what they build today. Practicality will influence sales. If tossing a couple suitcases in the car and taking off can't happen, sales will suffer.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rlhmarines
Who's to say that C7 will be the last FE Corvette...I'm of the opinion that we will have a new C8 FE and ME Corvette in the offerings for both camps to enjoy. JMHO

Could be. However, if there is another FE Corvette, I can't imagine there being a ZR1 version of it. I would think that the highest performing Corvette would be a mid-engine car. I guess we'll know more in a few months. It's all speculation at this point.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:06 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kevova
it's not exactly saying it's like a Fiero. Fiero as a ME was extremely popular initially. GM made sure it couldn't compete with the Corvette. The short comings showed up 6 months after they were released. However useable space has been an issue with ME. Front trunk space is limited, depending on location of fuel tank(s)There isn't much space between engine bulkhead and seat back. They are cool, as a spare car but can lack even as a second car. Solstice,sky, Pantera, and DeLoreans all have similar issues. I worked on ME cars and understand there layout in the past. Now that cars are getting larger it may not apply. C1-4 is considerably smaller than C5-7. 80s Ferraris are smaller than what they build today. Practicality will influence sales. If tossing a couple suitcases in the car and taking off can't happen, sales will suffer.

The car industry and what buyers want/need today is so far removed from the Fiero era that such a comparison is laughable. Your points regarding the storage space in an ME issue are well-taken, but there are other, more recent cars to use a benchmark. Just because the Fiero was a GM mid-engine car does not make it a valid comparison. If storage is indeed limited in the new ME, then I agree, some buyers will be turned off. That doesn't mean that they still won't sell their target number....or a many as they can build. The slack will be picked up by new Corvette enthusiasts or buyers who switch from other marques. The Corvette buying demographic will undoubtedly change a bit with this new car, but that doesn't mean it won't be a huge success.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I watched. I read and re read and frankly it's 80% speculation extrapolated out of generalized/vague statements.

ZR1 is the end of C7: And...? ZR1 end of C6...ZR1 end of C4...ZR1 end of C2...

We know there is going to be a C8...

I also know that outside of the CF galaxy there is a whole world of aging and "expanding" fans that still want golf clubs and comfort.
This is the same demographic that propelled the C7 Z06 to record sales that never really used the 650 but wanted that "number" a open roof, vented seats, and golf clubs...or space for long range auto crossing..

Do you see any of the above in the Zora spy pictures?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:18 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

i bet you can fit golf clubs in the c8's boot. It will out handle the c7z06 or at the very least handle just as much, with less power and for under 70 grand.

Last edited by mirage2991; 09-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:54 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Where do you get this stuff you folks are smokin? Are you being paid to post this fairy tail stuff. Really?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:24 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I think someone solved the mid-engine storage problem for Golfers. Special clubs that fold dv8sports.com.

Ignoring the obvious fact that it encourages middle-aged men to dress like pimps, we like the game of golf. What we’re not so keen on is the part where we have to lug a 15kg bag around all day. But that’s where DV8’s new ‘collapsible clubs’ come in. Rather than schlepping around with 14 clubs, the DV8 backpack contains 14 fully-functional, high-performance club heads that can be snapped on and off a single shaft. Thus minimizing space, weight and – most importantly – the amount of sweat dripping from your brow. The work of US inventor Pat Brady, the backpack even has a slot for your iPad, allowing rusty players to sneak a look at technique-boosting YouTube videos before teeing off. Brady has clearly thought of everything, which is not actually that surprising when you consider that it took him five years to perfect his idea.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-04-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The C7 and C7 Z06 will take a MAJOR hit. I do this for a living.
You may do it for a living, but I'd bet you are wrong. Depreciation is all about what people can afford to spend on a car. When the C8 comes out it will not be discounted commonly for quite a while. That leaves a void at every price level below whatever it sells for that people will be able to spend and the only option will be a used C7. Used car prices are directly proportional to how much a new car can be bought for. If a new "base" C8 can only be bought for $80,000 there will be plenty of people willing on paying $60,000 for a nice clean used C7. That is just an example to make a point, but that is what drives used prices.

As far as Z06/Z07, let's not forget that in straight line performance they will leave a "base" C8 for dead based upon what we are hearing the base C8 will have for power. 650/755 hp never goes out of style.

Last edited by jschindler; 09-04-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:32 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

I always find the generation changeovers interesting. I live near Criswell Chevy in MD and you can see the cycle. New gen comes out and the early adopters clean out the incoming and it is hard to even see one. As the market saturates a little inventory comes up to reasonable amount. Then you get like now with like 100 C7s sitting on the lot. Look for some real steals later this year. Not sure what it means to used prices yet. No matter for me since I don't plan to sell anytime soon.

Last edited by raylo; 09-04-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:08 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

if you buy like you should and get 12 percent and more off and you don't buy a loaded car your not taking a hit.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:06 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,166 Likes on 586 Posts

I still want to know exactly what taking a "MAJOR hit" means. Does it mean the 20% discounts currently being offered on some brand new 2 year old models sitting on dealer lots now get priced at 30 or 40% off? That would be major but would never happen. Does it mean used C7's that are currently hovering around the $40K mark are now going to be priced at $25K in order to get them sold? Major discount off today's pricing level but not happening or that means someone will be picking up mint used C6's for 10 or 15K. Not a chance.

Last edited by JDSKY; 09-04-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Production start Date End of C7 FE Production

Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

no real big surprise... it was said that there would be no financial gain for GM to keep the C7 alive. The C8 will be it and people will buy them.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhmarines
I saw an article at auto car magazine stating a revised version of the c7 will continue to be sold as an entry level model.

.......Which makes sense if GM pushes the m.e.model up in price
Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 659 Posts

Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 Production start Date End of C7 FE Production