Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Production start Date End of C7 FE Production

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
i bet you can fit golf clubs in the c8's boot. It will out handle the c7z06 or at the very least handle just as much, with less power and for under 70 grand.
The high level DOHC turbo version ME running $130k plus plus will likely be faster than the current C7Z06 with Z07 option on a track. The standard non turbo DOHC, may well be not, and these engines are not lightweights. Like the FPC DOHC I had, pretty sleepy below 3300 RPM. The base LT2 490 or so h/p car at 70k will not come close. Check out Fast Laps info and see what the current Z06 did to the Ferrari 488 GTB, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, and even at times, the Viper ACR at tracks such as Laguna Seca, Nürburgring, VIR, Willow Springs, Its good to be excited about the ME, but I suggest you temper that enthusiasm with a little real world common sense. Won't be no damn golf clubs in my '19 Z06, just stuff for track days and an occasional trip with my wife...

I am neither overly excited about the ME or mourning the FE if its time is nearly over. Just trying to keep it real.

And remember the DOHC engine with twin turbos is a large and heavy motor compared to the small block chevy mill. Amazing how much bigger and heavier the FPC engine was in my recently departed Shelby GT350 than the small block - lot taller, too. I wouldn't expect to see the ME with that option coming in at less than 3400 lbs or so. Weight reduction is EXPENSIVE. Hell, the CF wheels on the Shelby R cost about $5000 a set...

Sweet dreams of carbon fiber bodies and titanium filled chassis for a Chevy price point meant to sell thousands of cars a year are fantasies IMHO. Also, as the buyer demographic changes, I am sure that Chevy is mindful, that as a group, millennials and X gen types are less excited about sports cars than we were at that age. Or their idea of a sports car is more in line with a Subie WRX, Honda CIvic Type R.

As with C7s, and probably even more so, the overwhelming number of MEs will be base engine cars.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:22 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
if you buy like you should and get 12 percent and more off and you don't buy a loaded car your not taking a hit.
As someone who just bought a '19 Manual 2LZ for 12% off, I agree. In fact, I have already had an offer to buy it from me at a higher price than I paid since it was one of the last manual Anniversary Blue with Adrenalin Red interior cars available. Sure I will take some "hit" but no one buys new Vettes to make big appreciation profits. Eighteen months from now, after the first "gotta have it beta testers" have exhausted their feeding frenzy, ME prices will quickly stabilize and level off. It's yet another case of deja vue all over again.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:24 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fasttoys
I posted this back in July when this video was released, I watch autoline daily. I mentioned they usually don’t post something unless they have their facts in line. They are very connected to Detroit.

Autoline says the source is http://www.autoforecastsolutions.com/

This video was another confirmation for me that the new ME is the C8 and the C7 was fading away. I wavered when I kept being told the ZR1 needs to be produced for 3 years.

If you have a C7 with a manual you will be fine on depreciation as the ME will only offer a DCT.
Bingo

Quick Reply: C8 Production start Date End of C7 FE Production