Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The cover is off for the first time!!!!!

Old 10-04-2018, 02:43 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Whether your penultimate sentance is right or wrong (and there are excellent arguments for either strategy) I STRONGLY hope it is wrong. Having two different, but great, Vettes to choose from (and support in different IMSA racing classes) is this Corvette lover's ideal situation. I mean there are multiple Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, BMW 2 seaters, Maseratis & Jags (well maybe not anymore) etc. Different models targeting different buyers just has to make it more fun for fans of each marque. Again, the economics really make no difference to me at all. I just like Vettes and the more the merrier.

I bet, if you took a poll, the vast majority of Vette lovers would love to see both FE and ME models gracing America's highways...
It would be an unprecedented departure for GM to produce two concurrent corvettes and this would dilute the engineering efforts and raise the unit cost of both vehicles. The since the C5, the high-end corvettes (Z06, ZR1) are so relatively affordable only because of their modular construction platform with the "base" corvette. Making a separate lower volume ME corvette would send the price well north of 100K and it would struggle in marketshare. GM knows that the market for 100K cars is very limited - while I acknowledge 100K buys a lot less than it did just 10 years ago, there are only a small fraction of people with the means to purchase a 100K sports car. The C4 ZR1, while a success for enthusiasts, was a sales failure for GM after 1991 in no small part due to the extreme cost difference between the base and ZR1 and dissimilarity of powertrain and body components. If 2 separate FE and ME platforms were going to be produced, I think we would have seen the FE mule running around and we have not.

It's much easier to address the issues with a ME (cargo space is the only meaningful one I can think of right now) and sort these out in the design rather than build a separate car just to satisfy those who want to get two sets of golf clubs in the car. Ferrari owners probably golf more often than corvette owners and the lack of cargo space does not seem to deter ownership.

While I agree the long sleek hood of the C3-C7 has been a defining feature of the corvette and looked great, it's time for change. The ME will allow the corvette to remain competitive with the entry level supercars that have upped their game since C7 development.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Porsche has been building two different low volume sports cars, the 911 and Cayman/Boxster, for many years with no problem at all. BGA will build the FE and ME Corvettes on the same assembly line so the additional cost will be minimal. Why do you think GM expanded BGA capacity so much? Just so they could build the ME?
They expanded BG to consolidate more of the assembly under one roof, increase the volume of the PBC, expand the paint shop, and provide more room for a Cadillac sports car.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:16 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I hope to see a ME Cadillac.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:35 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I hope to see a ME Cadillac.
No point, the extra weight of luxury features from it being a Cadillac will negate any performance improvement from it being ME. FE is better for GT cars like Cadillacs, ME is better for more purist sports/performance cars.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
No point, the extra weight of luxury features from it being a Cadillac will negate any performance improvement from it being ME. FE is better for GT cars like Cadillacs, ME is better for more purist sports/performance cars.
On that note....the XLR was a C5 in a Tux while the C6 was out.

I can see a C7 in a Tux being a Caddy while the C8 is running around.

They're putting the 6G Camaro in a tux so hell, why not?
Old 10-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, the 4,044 lbs. of the W16 and luxury of the Bugatti Veyron has been a complete disappointment, no one wants that thing.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by bob53
It would be an unprecedented departure for GM to produce two concurrent corvettes and this would dilute the engineering efforts and raise the unit cost of both vehicles. The since the C5, the high-end corvettes (Z06, ZR1) are so relatively affordable only because of their modular construction platform with the "base" corvette. Making a separate lower volume ME corvette would send the price well north of 100K and it would struggle in marketshare. GM knows that the market for 100K cars is very limited - while I acknowledge 100K buys a lot less than it did just 10 years ago, there are only a small fraction of people with the means to purchase a 100K sports car. The C4 ZR1, while a success for enthusiasts, was a sales failure for GM after 1991 in no small part due to the extreme cost difference between the base and ZR1 and dissimilarity of powertrain and body components. If 2 separate FE and ME platforms were going to be produced, I think we would have seen the FE mule running around and we have not.

It's much easier to address the issues with a ME (cargo space is the only meaningful one I can think of right now) and sort these out in the design rather than build a separate car just to satisfy those who want to get two sets of golf clubs in the car. Ferrari owners probably golf more often than corvette owners and the lack of cargo space does not seem to deter ownership.

While I agree the long sleek hood of the C3-C7 has been a defining feature of the corvette and looked great, it's time for change. The ME will allow the corvette to remain competitive with the entry level supercars that have upped their game since C7 development.
While your post contains some logical arguments, I hope like heck you are wrong

I would respectfully dispute a few of your points, however:
(1) Most would argue that the failure of the '90's era ZR1 was due to the styling. The performance difference was stunning (for the time) but it looked like any other C4 Vette (not an ME vs. FE consideration). This of course was exacerbated by the LT1 and LT4 which really tightened things up given their lighter weight vs. the KoH.
(2) The absence of an FE mule could easily be explained if, in fact, the "new" FE were to be a 2022 model. They could be testing them right now with C7 bodies which, at an equivalent time in the cycle, the C7's were doing under C6 bodies. I am NOT, however saying this is the case. Just that it COULD be.
(3) Maintaining the existing C7 as a largely amortized lower-priced alternative for a few years would dilute roughly zero engineering effort. I would strongly agree with your logic to be all in on the ME at this time. That is my hope. When that's been out a few years, if successful, well the income stream might then support incrementally juicing up the ME and creating a new FE. Of course, they'll also be pursuing electric, hybrid, and who knows what else which might as well be on the ME platform. Truth be told, I don't see much effort on a next gen FE -- but carrying the basic C7 forward as long as they can make money on them could be a surprisingly long run (they made money on obsolete C3's forever, it seems.) Really, how expensive at this point are the C7 "bits" vs the allocated engineering and plant costs they now bear? I think not much.

I do agree that it is "time for a change." Duntoff's dream becoming reality is something all Vette fans should be excited about. I for one would prefer ME only going forward vs. the choice of only optimizing a less-ideal FE platform even given its advantages for some buyers. But, I still want both and frankly I hope that the GM analysts see this as a profit maximizing strategy. I could even create the business case; I just have zero data to defend it

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 10-04-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:44 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

A heavy FE vs a heavy ME, the ME performance advantages still apply.

The CTS-V has never meant to perform equally to a Z06.

Last edited by C7pimp; 10-04-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:45 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Not sure I would consider some of the recent ME Ferraris as "purist sports cars". I would still like to see what GM can do with a ME Caddy even if it is more of a GT.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
The problem with your comparison of the Corvette (single model) to the other is that they (Aston Martains, Ferraris, Lambos, etc) are brands and not models. IF Corvette was it's own separate sub-brand under GM then I could see that idea working. But as much as we love our Vettes...they are not a brand...only a singular model line. But, I like that idea.
Really, the "brand/model" distinction feels nitpicky to me. Corvette is as close to a "brand" as most brands out there. You simply market a Corvette "Stingray" and a Corvette "ZORA." Problem solved.

Sure they are Chevys, but consider this analogy: Prius (of all cars ). They are all Toyotas, and originally they were one model. Then Toyota realized you could create different Prii (is that a word?) for different folks, and they sub-modeled them https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...fferenc-223750. I suspect it has worked out well for them (though they are apparently down to 2 lines today) because "Prius" means something more than the first model out there. Well, so does "Corvette."
Old 10-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

No. Luxury features don't weigh that much, unless you are planning on putting a residential refrigerator in this thing.

Main point of ME is the weight balance, and better traction.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:57 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Getting closer.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Right. I can't imagine the ME Vette performing the same duties as the C7 but the Corvette boys appear to be bent on proving me wrong. If they pull it off, it will be a miracle. It will require a car culture shift. Maybe they will make it work. Watch used C7 escalate in value. I don't want to go long distance in a ME car unless I'm on the Autobahn. As Lutz said, people may be ready for a new FE Vette when they get bored with the C8 after two years. I believe their is space for both cars. Ferrari follows natural law in this regard. Maserati is selling all they can make and Porsche readies for their new 928. The structure and materials and modern manufacturing of the ME will go into this 2022 FE C9. It probably is already in the planning in anticipation of the hot sports car market in 2022 provided the communists are not back in power. 3 years tops to design and build this FEC9 car which will share many parts and especially the industrialization there of. The Solstace should have been an entry level Vette which would

mean 3 Corvette models. Heck, the Solstace shared many parts with a C5 Vette. Watch Lutz's video again.

There is no space for a bag of golf clubs in this car.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

My nightmare situation is for GM to keep the C7 in full production and to have the ME as a halo car costing $200,000+ and only producing 1,000 or less per year.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:20 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
My nightmare situation is for GM to keep the C7 in full production and to have the ME as a halo car costing $200,000+ and only producing 1,000 or less per year.
The Zora ME will start at $75K to compete with the 2019 Cayman GT4 which will be about $15K more.

The Stingray FE will start at $60K with the 500 hp Cadillac twin turbo V8 and 10 speed AT. The 2019 Supra will be the main competitor.

Zora will sell 10K and Stingray will sell 25K.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Most manufacturers are simplifying their product lines, not diversifying them.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:58 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
There is no space for a bag of golf clubs in this car.
Agreed! Notice the low front height and the low hood. This is both a good looking front end design for an ME and also an aerodynamic design. Unfortunately, it looks like the C8 will sacrifice looks and aerodynamic performance by using a higher hood to promote luggage space!

No free lunch!
rsvette12 (10-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To The cover is off for the first time!!!!!

Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by John T

Getting closer.
Quick improvement to a severe perspective error.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:59 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
The Zora ME will start at $75K to compete with the 2019 Cayman GT4 which will be about $15K more.

The Stingray FE will start at $60K with the 500 hp Cadillac twin turbo V8 and 10 speed AT. The 2019 Supra will be the main competitor.

Zora will sell 10K and Stingray will sell 25K.
You are really determined there will be a new FE Vette in the next couple years! My opinion, there will just be a ME only next generation and the sales will be great as it's even more exotic-like and the performance of course improves with the advantages of mid engine. The price will be like 5k more comparing base to base C7, then the performance models will follow the next few years. Maybe the C9 generation will be the time to brand Corvette into it's own line with a FE grand tourer, ME supercar competitor and an SUV maybe. I'm sure they'll find a way to fit the golf clubs in the ME...

fasttoys (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by supermetroid
You are really determined there will be a new FE Vette in the next couple years! My opinion, there will just be a ME only next generation and the sales will be great as it's even more exotic-like and the performance of course improves with the advantages of mid engine. The price will be like 5k more comparing base to base C7, then the performance models will follow the next few years. Maybe the C9 generation will be the time to brand Corvette into it's own line with a FE grand tourer, ME supercar competitor and an SUV maybe. I'm sure they'll find a way to fit the golf clubs in the ME...
Personally, I would definitely buy a FE with the Cadillac twin turbo V8 and 10 speed AT. It would be the definition of "fun to drive" as well as practical and smooth. With good fuel economy and adequate cargo space, I could take it anywhere.

A Zora really doesn't motivate me to buy, especially if it looks like the photos we have seen. Yes, it will have better traction but the rear spoiler alone is enough to reject it. I am sure I'm not the only one who feels this way and GM knows it. They are not about to let traditional Corvette buyers go to a Supra or Jag.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The cover is off for the first time!!!!!