Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The cover is off for the first time!!!!!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Quite a contrast and a shame...

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Agreed! Notice the low front height and the low hood. This is both a good looking front end design for an ME and also an aerodynamic design. Unfortunately, it looks like the C8 will sacrifice looks and aerodynamic performance by using a higher hood to promote luggage space!

No free lunch!
I look at the difference in sheer beauty between these two cars and shake my head. The C8 will no doubt be a tremendous packaging and engineering success. But good lord. It won't get many dates. And how is it that the sleeker, lower-slung car has a larger greenhouse?

Last edited by IronV; 10-05-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:41 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,983 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
The Zora ME will start at $75K to compete with the 2019 Cayman GT4 which will be about $15K more.

The Stingray FE will start at $60K with the 500 hp Cadillac twin turbo V8 and 10 speed AT. The 2019 Supra will be the main competitor.

Zora will sell 10K and Stingray will sell 25K.
I don't see the logic here. The current C7 goes after bigger fish and the C8 will go after bigger fish.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:33 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The Zora ME will start at $75K to compete with the 2019 Cayman GT4 which will be about $15K more.

The Stingray FE will start at $60K with the 500 hp Cadillac twin turbo V8 and 10 speed AT. The 2019 Supra will be the main competitor.

C7 sales are sinking faster than the Titanic, and they are already down to an annualized rate of 20K, down from 25K in 2017 and 30K in 2016.. I don't see any reason why it won't decline even further from that. The car is getting old.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-06-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:45 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't see any of this happening... doesn't the Supra have the BMW 3 series engine? Not sure how it will compete with a 500hp Corvette.

No way they sell 25k Stingrays when the C8 comes outs. Isn't that MORE than they are selling now?

The only thing you wrote that makes sense to me is the C8 competing with the 2019 GT4... which I bet it will outperform given it will likely have 100hp more.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 AM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by quinten33
thank you motor1.com for blessing our morning with these photos via carpix! These provide the absolute best look yet at so many features that i don't even know what to talk about

the side scoop looks familiar...

first look the the engine cover, rear wing, and the rear vents!
:u:u:u
Old 10-06-2018, 10:16 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 857 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I don't see any of this happening... doesn't the Supra have the BMW 3 series engine? Not sure how it will compete with a 500hp Corvette.

No way they sell 25k Stingrays when the C8 comes outs. Isn't that MORE than they are selling now?

The only thing you wrote that makes sense to me is the C8 competing with the 2019 GT4... which I bet it will outperform given it will likely have 100hp more.
So the Cadillac twin turbo V8 with 500 to 550 hp and massive torque does not make sense to you? How about the 10 speed AT that is far superior to the A8? How about the improved fuel economy of this drivetrain, as well as the smoothness? Makes a lot of sense to me even before you consider the bigger cargo space than the ME Zora and the starting MSRP that is $15K lower.

The Zora is going to be a hard core track car that won't offer a manual trans or streetable tires - Cup 2 R will be standard - and likely spool valve shocks which are harsh. Combine that with the dubious styling we've seen in the photos and the ugly rear spoiler and you have a very risky gamble by GM which is very risk averse. If the Zora is the only car and it flops, what happens to Corvette?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:21 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michael A
C7 sales are sinking faster than the Titanic, and they are already down to an annualized rate of 20K, down from 25K in 2017 and 30K in 2016.. I don't see any reason why it won't decline even further from that. The car is getting old.
New front and rear fascias, new Cadillac twin turbo V8, new 10 speed AT, new interior and you are right back to 25K+ annual sales which is very profitable since all the development costs are fully amortized. If Supra is planning on 25K sales, there is no reason why Corvette FE cannot do the same.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:30 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I don't see the logic here. The current C7 goes after bigger fish and the C8 will go after bigger fish.
Against the "bigger fish" the C7 is maxed out. Motor Trend's BDC competition showed that clearly. The Zora will be the track car going forward and the Stingray C7.5 will be the touring car taking on Supra, F-Type, M4 and Cayman/Boxster. That is the sweet spot of the sports car market where new buyers can enter and non-track drivers can enjoy driving.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

So the Cadillac twin turbo V8 with 500 to 550 hp and massive torque does not make sense to you? How about the 10 speed AT that is far superior to the A8? How about the improved fuel economy of this drivetrain, as well as the smoothness? Makes a lot of sense to me even before you consider the bigger cargo space than the ME Zora and the starting MSRP that is $15K lower.

The Zora is going to be a hard core track car that won't offer a manual trans or streetable tires - Cup 2 R will be standard - and likely spool valve shocks which are harsh. Combine that with the dubious styling we've seen in the photos and the ugly rear spoiler and you have a very risky gamble by GM which is very risk averse. If the Zora is the only car and it flops, what happens to Corvette?
Except Cup 2 R tires are streetable. There goes your theory. (Even if you were clairvoyant enough to detect the type of tires will be on a car that is not yet announced.)
The following users liked this post:
gthal (10-07-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 10:35 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Speednet
Except Cup 2 R tires are streetable. There goes your theory. (Even if you were clairvoyant enough to detect the type of tires will be on a car that is not yet announced.)
Cup 2 R is street legal (barely) but only a fool would use them as street tires.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

New front and rear fascias, new Cadillac twin turbo V8, new 10 speed AT, new interior and you are right back to 25K+ annual sales which is very profitable since all the development costs are fully amortized. If Supra is planning on 25K sales, there is no reason why Corvette FE cannot do the same.
Yawn. Those minor refreshes don't generally boost sales. They just help maintain sales, and keep them from falling further. In some cases, it can hurt sales. A lot of times, these refreshes don't integrate well with the original body panels. Look at the abomination that was done to the Camaro SS for 2019.

40 more hp with a Cadillac engine? Big deal. Another snoozer. That's not going to get anyone to buy the car. 140 hp might, but 40? No.

10 speed auto? Can't see people saying "I've got to buy that Corvette. It has a 10 speed auto vs. an 8 speed".

People are getting bored with the C7, and sales are showing it. There have been no major changes to the Corvette chassis since 1997. This is not what Corvette is about. Look at what Duntov did with the Corvette in the 60s. There was a huge amount of innovation. He would have pushed it further if GM let him.

I also can't see people getting too excited about the Supra long term unless it is really cheap. It has four and a six cylinder engines, and boring styling.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:55 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michael A
Yawn. Those minor refreshes don't generally boost sales. They just help maintain sales, and keep them from falling further. People are getting bored with the C7, and sales are showing it. There have been no major changes to the Corvette since 1997. This is not what Corvette is about.

I also can't see people getting too excited about the Supra long term unless it is really cheap. It has four and a six cylinder engines, and boring styling.
Boring styling? From the photos of the Zora we've seen, boring would be an improvement. The rear spoiler alone is enough to spoil it. The Zora is not going to win any beauty contests for sure. The ride harshness will be terrible.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Right. I can't imagine the ME Vette performing the same duties as the C7 but the Corvette boys appear to be bent on proving me wrong. If they pull it off, it will be a miracle. It will require a car culture shift. Maybe they will make it work. Watch used C7 escalate in value. I don't want to go long distance in a ME car unless I'm on the Autobahn. As Lutz said, people may be ready for a new FE Vette when they get bored with the C8 after two years. I believe their is space for both cars. Ferrari follows natural law in this regard. Maserati is selling all they can make and Porsche readies for their new 928. The structure and materials and modern manufacturing of the ME will go into this 2022 FE C9. It probably is already in the planning in anticipation of the hot sports car market in 2022 provided the communists are not back in power. 3 years tops to design and build this FEC9 car which will share many parts and especially the industrialization there of. The Solstace should have been an entry level Vette which would

mean 3 Corvette models. Heck, the Solstace shared many parts with a C5 Vette. Watch Lutz's video again.

There is no space for a bag of golf clubs in this car.

glad you point out the Lutz vid again. It was long but it seems many recent posts ignored the clear “speculation”=guidance he gave.

He expects the entry C8 ME to be like a Stingray and cost about $5k more than this year’s C7 Ray. High performance versions aka z06 like more worthy of the Zora name will come out later. And he fully expects a front wheel electric hybrid maybe even full electric in this generation. Add to that commentary that they had been working on this a while but scrapped it for budgetary reasons around the bankruptcy. I agree several C8 models. Solstice was an interesting mention because it was a mini Vette and the designer went over to Tesla.

Correct me if I’m wrong but Lutz didn’t comment specifically on the fate of FE. But I think it will be a business decision like everything else. They’ll look and see how things play out. It’s easier to scrap something then to restart a program.

So unless people know better than the former Vice Chairman (I know at least one CF member who foolishly thinks he does), forget silly ideas like:
1) there will be a $200k + halo right off the bat aka Ford GT
2) there will NOT be an entry level version for you guys who buy base/Z51 of every generation
3) they will immediately scrap the FE.

I’ll personally very excited about the technology (showed us they’ll give it to us cheaply with C7) and relative reliability GM could bring to a ME sports car in this age (forget Fiero) at an affordable price ! I also think my C7Z is a keeper. I can’t imagine liking another FE as much short of a Superfast or F12B!

Last edited by Parcival; 10-06-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Boiler_81 (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

rsvette12 (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 01:06 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

6:00 that nose looks awesome - as a matter of fact it all looks great - wish it was clearer to see all of it
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Vid doesn't show a trans axle. Who wants a high revving engine? Who wants DOHCs? Who wants turbos? Who wants a 5000psi heavy fuel pump? Who wants a DCT with 100lbs of redundant S.H.one.T? Who plays golf?
I wont have a car that has all that heavy and expensive S.H. one.T in it I'll buy a Huracan with a blown engine and shove a port injected N/A LSx into it. So there.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

Correct me if I’m wrong but Lutz didn’t comment specifically on the fate of FE. But I think it will be a business decision like everything else. They’ll look and see how things play out. It’s easier to scrap something then to restart a program.

I’ll personally very excited about the technology (showed us they’ll give it to us cheaply with C7) and relative reliability GM could bring to a ME sports car in this age (forget Fiero) at an affordable price ! I also think my C7Z is a keeper. I can’t imagine liking another FE as much short of a Superfast or F12B!
I can't quote the exact words but Lutz said after people get bored with the C8 after two years, a front engine car may be entertained. Check it out.
I think the technology is there to build both cars cheap and light. Corvette will set the standard for the industry. What do you think about the communist part?

Get notified of new replies

To The cover is off for the first time!!!!!

Old 10-06-2018, 11:50 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

There's no hood vent so nowhere for "center air" to go. The side openings vent out the wheel wells. C8R has a hood vent as there's no frunk.
"frunk" or hrunk?
Old 10-07-2018, 12:00 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Quick improvement to a severe perspective error.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:27 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Boring styling? From the photos of the Zora we've seen, boring would be an improvement. The rear spoiler alone is enough to spoil it. The Zora is not going to win any beauty contests for sure. The ride harshness will be terrible.
How are you making ANY conclusions on ride harshness? You seem to "know" more about the car (what tires, specific suspension, etc) than anyone Assuming you really don't, your conclusions are completely guesses and not relevant. Ride harshness won't be an issue... this isn't a track only car. Tires will be completely street worthy... when we actually know what they are. I run Sport Cup 2 tires and they are great street tires.
CorvettoBrando (10-10-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The cover is off for the first time!!!!!