Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Quite Obvious That The C7 Was Designed To Transition Into The Mid Engine Design.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
They must have been designing these cars side by side. Except for the rear scoop the 3/4 profile looks very C7 ish.
I think the profile looks great, round, full, perky , would love to get my hands on them .... damn I’m looking at your avatar again.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

I read this book cover to cover - its literally the "story" of the C7 from initial thoughts, to GM not making the Corvette, to designing the C7 to production lines... Absolutely an amazing book!

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by bigsapper
Cadillac.
Originally Posted by jimmyb

Yep, that's it.
Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
This still wouldn't shock me, although the nose looks a lot more Corvette than Caddy...
There was a time when I would have reluctantly agreed, but not any more. Not with the events of the last six months. Cadillac is a mess. They need to get their core business in order and that means more SUVs and CUVs, not halo sports cars.
Johan was the guy responsible for pushing a 2 seater Cadillac, mid-engine sports car and while he was around, it seemed like he might get his way. But he was dismissed (some would say fired) second quarter of this year. If you look at Cadillac's direction, you can see why. Sales are down double digits and what does Cadillac have in the hopper for 2019?, another high priced luxury sedan, the CT8. While the rest of the world like Lexus is introducing new SUVs and CUVs, Cadillac is following the Genesis with a high priced, sedan that won't sell (Genesis sales were bad but this year they're in the toilet). Mary apparently had enough of the mis-direction of Johan and told him to clean out his desk (one of her best moves). Now Cadillac is focused on it's core business, more SUVs/ CUVs the vehicles that people want.
I wouldn't rule out a Me-Too, 2 seater either the ME car or do the same move GM did with the C5 and turn over the C7 to Cadillac letting them sell a more traditional front engine sports car (this time with a correct engine, not an outdated Northstar). But being the leader of the new Halo car, especially with Cadillac's track record for failure with 2 seater cars, no way, Not going to happen. It's nothing personal, it's just business.
The following users liked this post:
JoesC5 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You make some very good, historical points re Cadillac and 2-seaters, and esp. the departure of Johan de Nysschen.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:46 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ

I think the profile looks great, round, full, perky , would love to get my hands on them .... damn I’m looking at your avatar again.
She is near perfect almost like the C8.....almost Naturally aspirated no silicone added that's what makes her look so spectacular.

Last edited by C5Driver; 09-07-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
It was interesting to have recently learned that the C7 was initially planned to be mid engine.
If you believe "All Corvettes Are Red", a big transition occured between the C4 and C5 which was caught up in the financial troubles GM was having and the resulting confusion. In 1992 McLellan was pushing for a mid-rear engine design, while Davis and Spielman were pushing for a mid-front design with the transaxel in the rear. They alleged that this would give many of the benefits of a mid-rear design while maintaining the traditional Corvette style. Three approaches were underconsideration : momentum archecture - mid-front engine, rear transmissiuon and evoluntionary body style: Mid-engine: and a Stiffer and lighter Corvette, For various reasons the momentum archecture was chosen. The reason that's interesting is that the mid rear engined design made it to the strategic direction sellection process. An SAE paper 970089 picks up the chassis architedture story for the C5, which was designated by GM as the "C5 perimeter frame/structural tunnel uniframe". It;'s a backbone design with a perimeter. This same frame evolved into the C7 so called space frame SAE paper 2005-01-0466. I'm hard put to justify the name space frame for the evolved C5 frame. However, the C7 chassis is a very developed version of the original C5 with a lot of materials chnages as well as design changes. Never the less, it appears that at each generation change, C4 to C5 to C6 to C7, a mid design was at least a serious paper study and in some cases a viable choice for production. The weakest is probably the C5 to C6 transition but that's just my guess.
Starting with the change from C4 to C5, a mid rear engine proposal was beyond the passion of any one person even if his name was Zora.

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 09-07-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-07-2018, 11:59 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear
If you believe "All Corvettes Are Red", a big transition occured between the C4 and C5 which was caught up in the financial troubles GM was having and the resulting confusion. In 1992 McLellan was pushing for a mid-rear engine design, while Davis and Spielman were pushing for a mid-front design with the transaxel in the rear. They alleged that this would give many of the benefits of a mid-rear design while maintaining the traditional Corvette style. Three approaches were underconsideration : momentum archecture - mid-front engine, rear transmissiuon and evoluntionary body style: Mid-engine: and a Stiffer and lighter Corvette, For various reasons the momentum archecture was chosen. The reason that's interesting is that the mid rear engined design made it to the strategic direction sellection process. An SAE paper 970089 picks up the chassis architedture story for the C5, which was designated by GM as the "C5 perimeter frame/structural tunnel uniframe". It;'s a backbone design with a perimeter. This same frame evolved into the C7 so called space frame SAE paper 2005-01-0466. I'm hard put to justify the name space frame for the evolved C5 frame. However, the C7 chassis is a very developed version of the original C5 with a lot of materials chnages as well as design changes. Never the less, it appears that at each generation change, C4 to C5 to C6 to C7, a mid design was at least a serious paper study and in some cases a viable choice for production. The weakest is probably the C5 to C6 transition but that's just my guess.
Starting with the change from C4 to C5, a mid rear engine proposal was beyond the passion of any one person even if his name was Zora.
Lets not forget that the C5 was the first ever all new Corvette in history. It had a new parts content of about 98% and the 2% were mostly screws, clips. and bulbs etc. All prior generations had many borrowed parts from other cars and platforms. The C5 is a very special generation it finally made Corvette a world class car of its time.

Last edited by C5Driver; 09-07-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear
It goes all the way back to the late 1950's when GM was evaluating designs for the second generation Corvette(1963-1967). According to a SAE paper by Duntov, three RWD platform designs were considered. 1) A front engine with the transmission mounted to the engine. 2) A front engine with the transmission mounted to the differential(transaxle). 3) A mid engine with a transaxle.

2) and 3) were tossed because of high costs. GM was not interested in manufacturing an expensive car that would be out of reach for the average buyer. It took 34 years for 2) to become the 1997 Corvette and 57 years for 3) to become the 2020 Corvette.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
It goes all the way back to the late 1950's when GM was evaluating designs for the second generation Corvette(1963-1967). According to a SAE paper by Duntov, three RWD platform designs were considered. 1) A front engine with the transmission mounted to the engine. 2) A front engine with the transmission mounted to the differential(transaxle). 3) A mid engine with a transaxle.

2) and 3) were tossed because of high costs. GM was not interested in manufacturing an expensive car that would be out of reach for the average buyer. It took 34 years for 2) to become the 1997 Corvette and 57 years for 3) to become the 2020 Corvette.
Yes, and it was the first generation that weighed less than 3000 lbs and had a 47/53% weight distribution. Duntov lost the fight for the second generation version and every fight after that.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Avoiding the argument that the C7 was or wasn't to be ME, it is clearly a statement to the designers that the C7 transitions into the C8 as well as some of you like. I, personally, see a hint, but just a hint, of C7 in there and that is ok with me. GM needs to keep corporate identity with this car, so the similarity is a good on that team of designers.

Quick Reply: It's Quite Obvious That The C7 Was Designed To Transition Into The Mid Engine Design.