Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design Duke Out--What the HELL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:10 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Design Duke Out--What the HELL?

OK. Nothing is more subjective than who thinks something looks good or not. There is no question that through all generations of Corvette, the engineering has been a marvel of the automotive world. I anticipate the same will be true of the C8.

But the looks. The cool factor. The beauty factor. Not necessarily tied to the engineering except when it comes to the laws of physics--aero etc.

Reasonable people may disagree and I hope they will. But thus far, the auto world is not reacting well to what we're seeing. A minority of participants on the Corvette forums are giving it a thumbs up. But the rest of the auto world is hammering the looks of this thing in these admittedly early stages.

And it frankly is scaring the hell out of me. The C8.R was amazing. Breathtaking. But the C8's basic proportions and design flow border on the bizarre:

Crazy high beltline
Slab sides
High, narrow track
Very little Stingray shapeliness
Huge, high, gaping mouth
Huge, high, flat ***
Tiny side windows

And I don't see how the thin layer of remaining camo can alter those basic shapes. And even if they could, the best possible result does not seem like it could possibly be bold or original.

So here we go... Get it all out, good and bad.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-05-2018)

Popular Reply

09-05-2018, 10:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

here is an overlay outline comparison of a c7 z06 and the new c8 side view.

I scaled them based on the wheel size so it should be close. Note the wheel base is within an inch or two if not the same.

I note that the cars are almost identical in size/ overall height. The beltline is also identical.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:31 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 271 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Your post makes me laugh...

people said the SAME thing about the C7... didn’t like and it was a huge sales and design success, take a breath, the sky is not falling, watch how many they sell, it WILL be a boat load, no it won’t look like a 300 k car BECAUSE it’s NOT a 300 k car, it Will Be a helluva car for the money, just like it’s always been
The following 3 users liked this post by AVETTE:
desmophile (09-08-2018), rocketX (09-06-2018), tractman (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default No. There's no comparison with the C7

Originally Posted by AVETTE
people said the SAME thing about the C7... didn’t like and it was a huge sales and design success, take a breath, the sky is not falling, watch how many they sell, it WILL be a boat load, no it won’t look like a 300 k car BECAUSE it’s NOT a 300 k car, it Will Be a helluva car for the money, just like it’s always been
Design is my business. I track it very closely--especially for the Corvette. There is no comparison between the reaction to the C8 and C7 at the same stage of their unveiling.

Not looking for sales predictions. Looking for your opinion on the success of the design as seen thus far. Which I note you did not offer.
ArmchairArchitect (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:36 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 271 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I have been on this forum a LONG time, go back my friend, to the countless comments about the design of the C7, how terrible it looked as a camo mule, even after it was unveiled there was the endless moaning... but, but, but, the taillights are not ROUND.... how can it be a corvette. Stupid Sh** like that and a whole lot more. MANY on this board remember it well, and MANY laughed as person after person who criticized the hell out of the design, went and BOUGHT ONE. Many on this very board were called out for it. The best they could muster after all there ranting was... "I guess it grew on me". Yes, sales speak volumes when people ante up there hard earned $$ for what amounts to a big boy (or girl) toy for most of us. I didn't comment on design because I think GM is brilliant in hiding important details. If design is your business, you better than anyone know it's all about the details. I also think the hi performance Z06 version or whatever they call it will come out the following year as a wide body, as they have always done (if it aint broke... you know) and that will be the one I will buy, if I like the design without the camo and as a widebody. My guess is, even the base car, is going to be received very well once the car is truly revealed in Detroit. But just like with the C7, there will be those that say they hate it, say its horrible, etc etc. GM didn't spend a HALF A BILLION DOLLARS on the BG plant if they didn't already know what the outcome was going to be.

I think the wide-body version will stun when all is said and done. If by some small chance I don't like it, I will buy a ZR1 for THE TRACK (Mid Ohio, NCM, etc) and enjoy the hell out of it, but I think that is HIGHLY unlikely. I think the ZORA esp the high power wide body version, will stun... Time will tell, Detroit is right around the corner now...
The following 2 users liked this post by AVETTE:
bgspot (09-07-2018), vettesweetnos (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Good lord.

Originally Posted by AVETTE
I have been on this forum a LONG time, go back my friend, to the countless comments about the design of the C7, how terrible it looked as a camo mule, even after it was unveiled there was the endless moaning... but, but, but, the taillights are not ROUND.... how can it be a corvette. Stupid Sh** like that and a whole lot more. MANY on this board remember it well, and MANY laughed as person after person who criticized the hell out of the design, went and BOUGHT ONE. Many on this very board were called out for it. The best they could muster after all there ranting was... "I guess it grew on me". Yes, sales speak volumes when people ante up there hard earned $$ for what amounts to a big boy (or girl) toy for most of us. I didn't comment on design because I think GM is brilliant in hiding important details. If design is your business, you better than anyone know it's all about the details. I also think the hi performance Z06 version or whatever they call it will come out the following year as a wide body, as they have always done (if it aint broke... you know) and that will be the one I will buy, if I like the design without the camo and as a widebody. My guess is, even the base car, is going to be received very well once the car is truly revealed in Detroit. But just like with the C7, there will be those that say they hate it, say its horrible, etc etc. GM didn't spend a HALF A BILLION DOLLARS on the BG plant if they didn't already know what the outcome was going to be.

I think the wide-body version will stun when all is said and done. If by some small chance I don't like it, I will buy a ZR1 for THE TRACK (Mid Ohio, NCM, etc) and enjoy the hell out of it, but I think that is HIGHLY unlikely. I think the ZORA esp the high power wide body version, will stun... Time will tell, Detroit is right around the corner now...
Holy Cow!

What does it take to get people to stay on the subject of the thread? I will admit. I've noticed that the design elements forum participants seem to be passionate about are tail lights, head lights, cup holders, and golf club capacity.

That's not what I'm asking about.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:40 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

The new C8 is a big departure from tradition Corvettes, it’s going to get half of the people on this forum just angry, while the others will be fine or just giddy with the change. If you're in the camp that was not happy that GM was going ME you will be more critical of the car to support your narrative, it’s human nature.

I think the front of the car looks great, love the short nose. The side of the car with the side scoops are still controversial but I get the concept and the cooling as I have owned many ME cars. The rear with the added fin and tail lights looks a little off but so did the one on the C7. Every time I walked out to my 90k c7 Z06 I was thinking why did GM use cheap A hardware store screws to hold this thing together. I had changed mine out to blend into the spoiler but then again I am very OCD.
I think the wider Z version with active aero Dynamics will be cool similar to many other brands. My wide body C7/Z compared to my C7 Z51 looked very different and more aggressive. My final point, after watching the video of the ME on the track it shows how the camouflage is messing with many of us and the car looks better in certain angles compared to my first thoughts. Someone who was in a C6/C5 lowered Z said when he was next to the C8 ME in Colorado that the car looked lower, wider. and more aggressive in person.

The new NSX is appealing and has the crazy technology but Acura overpriced it and she is not selling. I had the boring pleasure to have one for the day since my Acura store was trying to sell me one.

In the end, if you don’t like how it looks or for whatever reason we live in the USA you don’t have to buy one

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-05-2018 at 05:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fasttoys:
bgspot (09-07-2018), gthal (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 05:58 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Crazy high beltline
I agree about the high beltline. My fear has been that the design would be adversely affected by GM's imagined need to increase luggage space over what is typically available in a ME design. A high beltline hides the higher than typical front hood.

Hopefully, some of the perceived issues will disappear when the camo is removed.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:21 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

...But thus far, the auto world is not reacting well to what we're seeing. A minority of participants on the Corvette forums are giving it a thumbs up. But the rest of the auto world is hammering the looks of this thing in these admittedly early stages...
Who is this “auto world”? The only article I’ve seen so far from a legitimate source is the article from Motor Trend, and I don’t interpret anything in it as negative. Here is the article:“SPIED! MID-ENGINE CHEVROLET CORVETTE DROPS CAMO FOR 'RING TESTING

This is our best look yet at the C8

by Words: Alex Nishimoto September 04, 2018

The camo is getting tighter and more revealing for the mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette. Two prototypes were spotted testing on the N rburgring, ditching the loose black rags they wore previously to expose a more form-fitting spotted white camo underneath—and thus more exterior details.

We get a much better view of the C8's front end, which looks very little like that of the front-engine C7. The front valance features large intake vents on either side, and a large splitter juts out from beneath the front lip. The headlights don't appear to be production-spec, but we imagine just about everything else up front is pretty close.

Looking at the car's sides, there's a large vent just in front of the rear wheel. We can also see just how sculpted the mid-engine Corvette's body is, with aggressive lines running across the doors and fenders, prominent shoulders, and significantly widened hips. In back, the Corvette's characteristic four-lamp taillights peek through the camo, and we also get a glimpse of its square-tipped quad-exhaust and a new wing.

Exact specs remain unknown, but we've heard two dual-overhead-cam V-8 engines, including a 4.2-liter and 5.5-liter, will be offered. Forced induction could also be part of the equation. For more concrete details, we'll just have to wait until Chevy reveals the C8, possibly at the Detroit auto show next January. Until then, take a look at the many photos of the mid-engine Corvette in the gallery below to get your best look yet at the upcoming performance car.”

https://www.motortrend.com/news/spie...49DE803976B7F0

If you’re referring to the few negative comments here on the Corvette Forum, then that is simply too small a sample size to draw accurate conclusions. Also, I’ve seen this time and time again (I’ve been a registered member on this Forum for nearly two decades), people post negative posts on Sunday, and then they’re in the Chevy dealer on Monday buying a new Corvette. So again, please name who the “auto world” is. Direct links would also be appreciated.

Last edited by BIG Dave; 09-05-2018 at 07:22 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
bgspot (09-07-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-05-2018), gthal (09-06-2018), Rapid Fred (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

I will reserve judgement until we see the real thing. I thing GM is seriously hiding details still. Especially the side cove.

I too hope they didn't design the car bulkier than normal to better run over European pedestrians and / or hold golf clubs.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:40 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by BIG Dave

Also, I’ve seen this time and time again (I’ve been a registered member on this Forum for nearly two decades), people post negative posts on Sunday, and then they’re in the Chevy dealer on Monday buying a new Corvette. So again, please name who the “auto world” is. Direct links would also be appreciated.
Boy that is a fact!
bgspot (09-07-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:56 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

OK. Nothing is more subjective than who thinks something looks good or not. There is no question that through all generations of Corvette, the engineering has been a marvel of the automotive world. I anticipate the same will be true of the C8.

But the looks. The cool factor. The beauty factor. Not necessarily tied to the engineering except when it comes to the laws of physics--aero etc.

Reasonable people may disagree and I hope they will. But thus far, the auto world is not reacting well to what we're seeing. A minority of participants on the Corvette forums are giving it a thumbs up. But the rest of the auto world is hammering the looks of this thing in these admittedly early stages.

And it frankly is scaring the hell out of me. The C8.R was amazing. Breathtaking. But the C8's basic proportions and design flow border on the bizarre:

Crazy high beltline
Slab sides
High, narrow track
Very little Stingray shapeliness
Huge, high, gaping mouth
Huge, high, flat ***
Tiny side windows

And I don't see how the thin layer of remaining camo can alter those basic shapes. And even if they could, the best possible result does not seem like it could possibly be bold or original.

So here we go... Get it all out, good and bad.
FYI, This comment isn't directed to your opinion.

Ain't it great this world we live in where every irrelevant opinion can be shared in just a matter of a second! Forums are for sharing, clownin, speculating and bitchin. Blogs, well most are useless really and the Auto Mags are just looking to sell copy. Right now is an awesome time for all these formats cause I believe in some ways GM is trolling everybody.

Enjoy the ride, and when the car debuts people will like some aspects, be neutral on others and hate a few, won't stop people from buying. GM will still deliver a out standing performance car for the money compared to its competition.

oh and for the record I'm a thumbs up, ready for a change.

PC

Last edited by Darion; 09-05-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

I equate it to one of those costume party's where everyone is walking around holding a mask in front of their face. Until they lower it there really isn't a way to really see what they look like. As there are some aspects of the car that right now don't appeal to me I'm waiting until GM lowers the mask before passing final judgement.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:02 AM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't know how anyone can look at that camo car and say that it definitely sucks or what price it should sell for. You guys are losing it without knowing the full story.
bgspot (09-07-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

As I said before, theres a lot more going on under that camo then everyone thinks. And the video was seemingly recorded with a potato.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
I equate it to one of those costume party's where everyone is walking around holding a mask in front of their face. Until they lower it there really isn't a way to really see what they look like. As there are some aspects of the car that right now don't appeal to me I'm waiting until GM lowers the mask before passing final judgement.
What he said...However I will add I am disappointed is one aspect. It would seem that C8 isn't going to bring anything new or daring to the mid engine car market nothing that we really haven't seen before with other name plates. New for Chevrolet maybe but from what I see nothing we have't seen before.

Last edited by C5Driver; 09-05-2018 at 08:24 AM.
IronV (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
What he said...However I will add I am disappointed is one aspect It would seem that C8 isnt going to bring anything new or daring to the mid engine car market that we really haven't seen before.
That may be the case on the base car but who knows what GM has planned for models up the line. Some interesting patent info out there, time will tell. I'll be happy with less so I'm good. 😀

PC
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 AM
FinsterforstFan
Racer

Received 441 Likes on 201 Posts

Scaring the hell out of you? That seems a little strong. I guess I'm not attached to a manufacturer or car enough that it scares me at all.

It would be nice to have a cheaper mid engine alternative, but I don't have any problem affording much nicer cars, so it's not really any skin off my nose.

That being said, I pretty much agree with the OP on the things that the camo car has "wrong" with it. I'm reserving final judgement until all the camo comes off though.

Get notified of new replies

To Design Duke Out--What the HELL?

Old 09-05-2018, 09:27 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

...the auto world is not reacting well to what we're seeing....
Even though opinions are exactly just that.... opinions... and I am not influenced by others' opinions regarding aesthetics... I'd still like to read the evidence for myself.

That said, please provide your references and links to these reactions from "the auto world".

Thanks in advance.

BTW...
No "not reacting well" in this from MT:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/spie...-ring-testing/

And no "not reacting well" in this from R&T:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-corvette/

And no "not reacting well" from C&D:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fr...al-new-details

And... no "not reacting well" from MA:
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...hots-and-video

And... again... no "not reacting well" from Autoweek:
https://autoweek.com/article/spy-pho...ette-will-look

Now... I totally agree that there will be individuals that absolutely hate the C8 for various, personal reasons. But to claim that "the auto world is not reacting well.." I have to say that's a bit of hyperbole.

Just sayin.

Last edited by FrankLP; 09-05-2018 at 09:44 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by FrankLP:
Bosscobra (09-05-2018), CONMAX (09-07-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-06-2018), fasttoys (09-05-2018), gthal (09-06-2018), Rapid Fred (09-05-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Corvette 1467
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
well put my friend, well put!
Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

My biggest concern is the rear:

a) the tall decklid is so Camaro-esque that it really cheapens the look of the car.
b) the taillights are not looking promising either- again, they're looking pretty Camaro-esque so far.
c) the spoiler looks so tacky- very 80s/90s in design.
d) Exhaust pipes look really outdated in shape, they look like they're off a C4 Corvette.

Btw, the major gripes with the C7 were that it didn't please Corvette traditionalists. But I'm speaking purely from a design, not tradition standpoint.

That being said - I have a hopeful theory that GM is intentionally making the camo cars look ugly with masking tricks, so that the car really wows everyone once it's finally unveiled.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-05-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Design Duke Out--What the HELL?