Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 - Removable Targa Top - Car and Driver article

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 02:58 AM
steve0415
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 189 Posts

Default C8 - Removable Targa Top - Car and Driver article

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fr...al-new-details
The following users liked this post:
GundamX7X (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 07:54 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

I think we figured that out almost a year ago...
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Klinn
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

With everything they wrote about the "fastback glass" in that piece, they didn't seem to notice that the two cars have different roof lines and rear window treatments, one looking like a coupe with removable targa roof panel and the other a spyder / folding hardtop with flying buttresses stretching out along the rear deck and a short vertical rear window behind the cabin.

Last edited by Klinn; 09-06-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Anything u like
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m a long time, aging, motorcycle guy that loves open air motoring. As much as I like the ability to take the top off my vette I really don’t like the process. It seems like there should be a more high tech way to open the car. Removing and storing the top on my ‘17 is done essential the same way it was done on my 1986. Although at least you no longer need a rachet. Lol! Call me lazy but I want to push a button and have the top disappear. I have a convertible M4 that I drive sometimes, instead of the vette, because it’s just so easy to raise and lower the top. Guess I could have bought a vert vette, I’ve had a couple, but I like the look of the coupe better.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Anything u like
I’m a long time, aging, motorcycle guy that loves open air motoring. As much as I like the ability to take the top off my vette I really don’t like the process. It seems like there should be a more high tech way to open the car. Removing and storing the top on my ‘17 is done essential the same way it was done on my 1986. Although at least you no longer need a rachet. Lol! Call me lazy but I want to push a button and have the top disappear. I have a convertible M4 that I drive sometimes, instead of the vette, because it’s just so easy to raise and lower the top. Guess I could have bought a vert vette, I’ve had a couple, but I like the look of the coupe better.
Hardtop spider coming your way!

PC
Old 09-06-2018, 09:19 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Klinn
With everything they wrote about the "fastback glass" in that piece, they didn't seem to notice that the two cars have different roof lines and rear window treatments, one looking like a coupe with removable targa roof panel and the other a spyder / folding hardtop with flying buttresses stretching out along the rear deck and a short vertical rear window behind the cabin.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:21 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Interesting that the targa seems smaller than C4/5/6/7. There's 2" of camo strip ahead of the targa panel above the windshield glass vs. C4/5/6/7 where the targa terminates at the top of the windshield itself. Also, on the rear side there seems to be 1" of B-pillar-roof extending forward to the rear targa seam vs. it flowing naturally from the b-pillar vertical line.

Odd.

EDIT - I think I'm wrong about the front and the seam I see is just a fluke camo pattern. Looks like the roof panel goes all the way to the windshield. Rear is still odd.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 09-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:14 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Interesting that the targa seems smaller than C4/5/6/7. There's 2" of camo strip ahead of the targa panel above the windshield glass vs. C4/5/6/7 where the targa terminates at the top of the windshield itself. Also, on the rear side there seems to be 1" of B-pillar-roof extending forward to the rear targa seam vs. it flowing naturally from the b-pillar vertical line.

Odd.

EDIT - I think I'm wrong about the front and the seam I see is just a fluke camo pattern. Looks like the roof panel goes all the way to the windshield. Rear is still odd.
I don’t think your wrong about the front seem on the targa panel.
I believe it’s going to have body coloured A pillars,and of course the continuation over the windshield .
The targa size,probably goes hand in hand,with its storage space in the vehicule.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:26 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I hate painted a-pillars... the wrap-around cockpit effect of the Corvette is a great feature.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

With them having a HT convertible variant, it's a bit of a shame the coupe isn't going to be a fixed roof coupe. But, it is what it is.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:32 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

I hate painted a-pillars... the wrap-around cockpit effect of the Corvette is a great feature.
I can’t see how they (a pillars)can’t be painted...,you have those 3 inches or so over the windshield to deal with.
That part has to be same colour as the targa panel .

Maybe I’m missing something ,who knows.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OnPoint
With them having a HT convertible variant, it's a bit of a shame the coupe isn't going to be a fixed roof coupe. But, it is what it is.
Agree. I posted a big thread "What's the point of a targa coupe if you have a HT convertible". The consensus was there are new crash standards for coupes that require extensive side-curtain airbags that the targa is not subject to. I guess it makes sense, but the Camaro is a "full coupe" with those safety requirements. I love my targa, but I agree... give me a solid roof coupe for the chassis.

Originally Posted by pietro c7
I can’t see how they (a pillars)can’t be painted...,you have those 3 inches or so over the windshield to deal with.
That part has to be same colour as the targa panel .

Maybe I’m missing something ,who knows.
They could do like the C7 and paint it black. The C5/6 had plastic trimmed a-pillars. I think the slope of the C8's a-pillar into the roof indicates it will be painted body-color like many seem to want. I'm just saying personally, I don't like body-color a-pillars as it breaks up the wrap-around cockpit.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The C8 actually looks REALLY good in that photo. The balance and proportions look very correct (for a ME) for the first time.

Also the proportions of the driver's helmet and the wheels/ tires suggest it is a tidy & compact car, which is AWESOME!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:58 AM
Klinn
Intermediate

Also, on the rear side there seems to be 1" of B-pillar-roof extending forward to the rear targa seam vs. it flowing naturally from the b-pillar vertical line. Odd.
This is just speculation on my part, but in several other angles there seems to be a trim piece on the B-pillar behind the trailing edge of the side window glass. I'm guessing that it's something to visually extend the appearance of the side windows into the B-pillar rather than it being abruptly cut off as we're seeing now. Whether it's just a bit of trim painted gloss black or an actual piece of non-functional glass in there, who knows.

Anyway, if my guess is right, then the offset you noticed between the rear edge of the targa and window line won't be as jarring.

Speculation is fun!
Old 09-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Klinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The C8 actually looks REALLY good in that photo. The balance and proportions look very correct (for a ME) for the first time. Also the proportions of the driver's helmet and the wheels/ tires suggest it is a tidy & compact car, which is AWESOME!
You got that right! :thumbsup:

But don't forget that this shot is from the outside of the corner and the car is rolled over slightly making it look lower and sleeker.

Tip for action photographers out there -- always shoot on the outside of the corner! I could show you shots of my old BMW E46, one where it was all hunkered down and sexy looking (outside of corner) and another where it was all hiked up and looking like a Cavalier (inside of corner, apologies to any Cavalier owners out there).

Regarding wheels & tires, there was one close up of the front wheel and tire which clearly showed it as a Michelin 245/35-19. I think it's a good guess that the rear wheel is 20" just like on the C7.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:36 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Klinn
This is just speculation on my part, but in several other angles there seems to be a trim piece on the B-pillar behind the trailing edge of the side window glass. I'm guessing that it's something to visually extend the appearance of the side windows into the B-pillar rather than it being abruptly cut off as we're seeing now. Whether it's just a bit of trim painted gloss black or an actual piece of non-functional glass in there, who knows.

Anyway, if my guess is right, then the offset you noticed between the rear edge of the targa and window line won't be as jarring.

Speculation is fun!
Duh... good point. Completely forgot about the covered up quarter glass.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Starting to get that TINGLING FEELING
Old 09-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Anything u like
You know even with the carbon fiber light top I never take it off BUT WITH THE ME IT WILL come off
Old 09-06-2018, 05:09 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm OK with getting out to store the targa. I like that additional structure. I doubt that it will contribute to torsional rigidity as it does not in the current car either. I like painted A pillars on everything from the C6 and up.

The two cars have different rear windows. The one with the opaque window is likely the convertible with a false cover over the top.

I really hope the area behind the side window is an air intake for the engine. This makes for part of a great sounding motor on the F355. It would do the same for the Zora.

Very much looking forward to owning one of these cars!!!

Last edited by k wright; 09-06-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 - Removable Targa Top - Car and Driver article

Quick Reply: C8 - Removable Targa Top - Car and Driver article