Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Porsche's quality are more about perception than reality. A $90K 911 is not all that! Sure option the hell out of the interior and you'll have a pretty nice interior. Sit in a $65K Boxster and you'll have a very similar interior as a $30K VW CC. Driving experience is kind of subjective and personal preference and some people love the 911's feel and to some it's just meh! Porsche's are vastly overpriced but their marketing is brilliant and they kind of get away with it! Not defending the Corvette but I get tired of people pissing on its quality compared to other high-line cars. Does GM need to improve the interior quality? Sure, but it's almost right there. I am NOT in the camp of saying "it's a great a car for the money". I think the Corvette is a great car regardless of money and hope GM keeps improving it so it loses that stigma.
I was really thinking hard about a few year old 911 Carrera 4 S or maybe even a few year old Turbo. But the prices of these cars, even few years old, stopped me in my tracks. So, I took a break, reset, did some more research, and decided to get a manual 2LZ Z06 for 12% off of MSRP. Now, looking at performance and seeing on FastLaps that the Z was more than a match for the Ferrari 488 GTB and P-car 911 GT3 RS on many well known international tracks, was pretty interesting.

All of the Vettes I have had before were what I called about 85-90% what they could/should have been from the factory. In the case of the '19, it benefits from pieces adapted from the ZR1 program, latest MRSC programming, better paint, etc. But I see the weak areas - substandard quality cast wheels compounded by hard as rocks runflats, still, despite a myriad of improvements since '17 - a bit marginal in cooling not usually result in overheating, but aggressive pulling of timing, too quickly. All of the aforementioned have clear resolutions, especially for a manual car - and with keeping the warranty intact.

So, I will "fix" those things, maybe add the big three mods (staying within warranty) and have a very good car for the money. That said, I also agree completely with FastToys that European cars sometimes are getting a bad rap. I have had my Audi SQ5 (bought new) for 2.5 years as my daily driver and I love it - zero problems, great dealership. Interior quality and engineering quality is obvious. Looking at MB GLC 300 for the wife...

The ME will be interesting, and I look forward to its release and the follow-on high performance versions, some of which will no doubt edge out my '19 on a track. No way the base version will do that. Four years or so from now, when they get most of the problems with the high performance versions worked out, I may take a close look. But I already know that one of those cars will no way, no how ever be bought for close to the $78k I spent for the '19.

Would love to have my Ferrari dream car, but will never will happen - and I am damn grateful (plus a lot of hard work) to have what I do have. First world problems -
Old 09-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

lol point taken I fixed my post. I been looking for a Clean MP4 with no issues. The ones you posted are BS cars as you can tell by the discounting, I feel sorry for the new owners of those 3 cars. I buy many high-end toys goal is to get a clean example. Last week got in an argument with a small dealer mis representing a car with a BS clean car fax. my paint meter was all over the place which is a truth teller. He said it was never painted before and it was mint,. After further research it was a lemon buy back from the manufacturer hidden from records and not on car fax. This is a big problem with cars coming out of Florida and a few other states. I got burned once out of Florida with a 2013 BMW M5 117k MSRP car. If it’s pre-owned and it seems to good to be true it usually is. Next time I will be more clear
I definitely get what you’re saying. This is just 3 examples of the cheapest, which probably means they’re trash. However, the number I’m seeing between 98k and 110k is just too high for the all to have problems. What I’m seeing seems to be more of cars that have sat on lots for a year plus.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:27 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black

I definitely get what you’re saying. This is just 3 examples of the cheapest, which probably means they’re trash. However, the number I’m seeing between 98k and 110k is just too high for the all to have problems. What I’m seeing seems to be more of cars that have sat on lots for a year plus.

Mr Triple Black, I buy a lot of these types of toys I also have access to Manheim Auto Auction online which gives me the going rates live on all cars. I been looking for a clean one and have owned Mclaren, The few under 100k with average to low miles have issues. The Mclaren 12C is a very risky purchase which can be summarized from Rob in his video. His Mclaren steering rack failed for no reason not abuse just failed the cost was 35k to fix it Yes that is 35k. This was the first mass produced Mclaren over (1000) which was produced for a short time for many reasons. My friends headlights failed no reason cost was 8k to get them fixed the dam car only had 3200 miles on it. His battery died because he did not have it on a charger, could not get in the electric frunk it was not fun getting it fixed. The battery is special battery cost 3k you can not use any other battery and the computer needs reprogramming. He went with another batter and the car would not go into gear and other electric issues like one the doors would not open, he had it towed and put in the 3k battery. Only clean babied examples at the correct market price are worth purchasing unless you buy the one 87k example above to find out later you need stuff done because they did not disclose it. In the end any low production exotic European car has these land minds waiting for the new owners, only way to own one is getting clean low mile car with a warranty, because it’s not if it’s going to break its when and how much.

Good Video

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-12-2018 at 12:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fasttoys:
ArmchairArchitect (09-12-2018), bgspot (09-14-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

Mr Triple Black, I buy a lot of these types of toys I also have access to Manheim Auto Auction online which gives me the going rates live on all cars. I been looking and have owned Mclarens and the few below 100k with average to low miles have some issues. The Mclaren 12C is a very risky purchase which can be summarized from Rob in his video below he is a straight shooter. His Mclaren steering rack failed for no reason not abuse just failed the cost was 35k to fix it Yes that is 35k. This was the first mass produced Mclaren over (1000) which was produced for a short time for many reasons. My friends headlights failed no reason cost was 8k to get them fixed dam car only had 3200 miles on it. The battery died because he did not have it on a charger, could not get in the electric frunk it was not fun getting it fixed. The battery is special battery cost 3k you can not use any other battery, computer needs reprogramming. He went with another batter car would not go into gear and other electric issues. Only clean babied examples at the correct market price are worth purchasing unless you buy the 87k version above to find out later you need stuff done they did not disclose. In the end any low production exotic European car has these land minds waiting for the new owners, only way to own one is low miles and have a lot of extra money laying around or with a warranty, because it’s not if it’s when it will break.

Good Video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=znSziiek0j8
Agree 100 % about the 12C. Had a 2012 that spent 75% of it's time on a flat bed back and forth to the dealer..Luckily it was still under warranty.

Last edited by Donatella; 09-12-2018 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:56 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Donatella
Agree 100 % about the 12C. Had a 2012 that spent 75% of it's time on a flat bed back and forth to the dealer..Luckily it was still under warranty.
I would just have to spend the 4K a year on the warranty. I actually know someone who had the steering issue for the nearly 40k. He also had some other issues as well including having to replace the battery. All expensive of course.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

I would just have to spend the 4K a year on the warranty. I actually know someone who had the steering issue for the nearly 40k. He also had some other issues as well including having to replace the battery. All expensive of course.
Audi R8 V10 not as exotic but much better value under 100k & you can get a manual and a 4 year 50k fidelity warranty for under 2500 and that is through my friend at Audi. The car is bulletproof other than two issues that are covered. AC and Mag shocks.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-12-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Audi R8 V10 not as exotic but much better value under 100k & you can get a manual and a 4 year 50k fidelity warranty for under 2500 and that is through my fiend at Audi. Car is bulletproof other than two issues that are covered. AC and Mag shocks.
But the doors go like this 👈🏽👉🏽
Not like this 👆🏽👇🏽

But in all seriousness I do love the R8s.

Last edited by Mr Triple Black; 09-12-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:49 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

But the doors go like this ��������
Not like this ��������
https://youtu.be/IJIAOosI6js

But in all seriousness I do love the R8s.
Love that show, I would use that all the time with the 570s LOL. I like the front end on 570S and the quality over the 12C, but loved the active areo fin and airbrake on the 12C.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-12-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Love that show, I would use that all the time with the 570s LOL. I like the front end on 570S and the quality over the 12C, but loved the active areo fin and airbrake on the 12C.
I thought about going 570 over the 12C I just didn’t think it was as special since it wasn’t the first and Production will be much higher. I also prefer the rear of the 12C much more.

Beautful car though. I just “raced” one the other day.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Gentlemen, I own a Mclaren and I’d like to maybe give some perspective from an owner not hearsay. The hard truth is they’re improving as a brand. Initially a very low production car steadily building steam to where they are now as a road car manufacturer... meaning they’re working through all those inherent new car problems slowly. My first Mac was a 650S with a production rate right at 4K cars. I have a friend who’s been through two 12C’s and other than small irritating things that fail, they both seem to have been good cars. Did I have problems with my 650S? Yes! But in all honesty, some weren’t the cars fault... all things mechanical can and will fail at some point, and the people working on said mechanical items are human who make mistakes.

I just bought a new 570S a couple of months ago and clocked just over 2k miles so far... no problems yet. I had one of the 1st new C7’s in 2014 that had nagging issues with that car the whole time I owned it. Nothing major, just issues. Chevy built over 37k C7’s in 2014 and Mclaren built less than 4K... if you look at percentages of both cars, I’d wager they’re close on scheduled man hours of repair labor from a warranty perspective that year. I had a Porsche Turbo S before I bought my 650S and it was a fantastic car, but it is also mechanical and probably would’ve broken if I’d have kept it long enough.

I realize there’s a cost difference between repairs on Corvettes and McLarens, but at the end of the day, it’s all about what makes you smile. I still love Corvettes, but I got tired of seeing them on every street corner and opted for something more exclusive. The cost is relative to what you’re willing to pay for sheer driving pleasure and honestly finer build quality across the board. Paint, fit, finish, interior, exterior, wheels, tires, overall materials used... exotics are light years ahead of domestics. I really hope my post doesn’t come across as arrogant or trying to be a know it all. I’m as humble as they come and by no means trying to one up ANYONE... just trying to dispelled rumors on quality of certain cars that are unfairly judged on what the internet said or a friend of a friend said.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7BB
Gentlemen, I own a Mclaren and I’d like to maybe give some perspective from an owner not hearsay. The hard truth is they’re improving as a brand. Initially a very low production car steadily building steam to where they are now as a road car manufacturer... meaning they’re working through all those inherent new car problems slowly. My first Mac was a 650S with a production rate right at 4K cars. I have a friend who’s been through two 12C’s and other than small irritating things that fail, they both seem to have been good cars. Did I have problems with my 650S? Yes! But in all honesty, some weren’t the cars fault... all things mechanical can and will fail at some point, and the people working on said mechanical items are human who make mistakes.

I just bought a new 570S a couple of months ago and clocked just over 2k miles so far... no problems yet. I had one of the 1st new C7’s in 2014 that had nagging issues with that car the whole time I owned it. Nothing major, just issues. Chevy built over 37k C7’s in 2014 and Mclaren built less than 4K... if you look at percentages of both cars, I’d wager they’re close on scheduled man hours of repair labor from a warranty perspective that year. I had a Porsche Turbo S before I bought my 650S and it was a fantastic car, but it is also mechanical and probably would’ve broken if I’d have kept it long enough.

I realize there’s a cost difference between repairs on Corvettes and McLarens, but at the end of the day, it’s all about what makes you smile. I still love Corvettes, but I got tired of seeing them on every street corner and opted for something more exclusive. The cost is relative to what you’re willing to pay for sheer driving pleasure and honestly finer build quality across the board. Paint, fit, finish, interior, exterior, wheels, tires, overall materials used... exotics are light years ahead of domestics. I really hope my post doesn’t come across as arrogant or trying to be a know it all. I’m as humble as they come and by no means trying to one up ANYONE... just trying to dispelled rumors on quality of certain cars that are unfairly judged on what the internet said or a friend of a friend said.
I appreciate the feed back. I don’t think they will but I hope the 720S’ value tanks. While I could “buy” a 720S I certainly can’t afford it. Not really anyway. But I always loved the 12Cs so now that they’re down in price I figured it would be a good deal for me to get into. I’d just buy the extended warranty every year to make sure I’m safe.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:05 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Believe it or not in snobby areas of Northern NJ i see more mclarens than i do corvettes. That said its a stunning machine. Really do believe the 570 is a great choice.

the running costs are higher obviously and well worth it to many.

i prefer to spend less money on cars than what the mclarens cost but corvettes are usually pretty much what i spend on my wifes vehicles so buying a corvette doesnt come across as being selfish etc...

single guys or guys with more balanced wives god bless you in your choices and freedoms.

i cut my wife slack because we have a severely andicapped autostic 22 year old with the intellegence level of a 2.36 year old and whatever i can do to keep her from imploding is my pleasure as a smart man and a good husband.

that said i think the new c8 z51 will be able to chase down and equal a beautiful high performance exotic like the mclaren 570.

thanks for sharing your story.. everytime i see a mclaren 570 on the streets or up in the mountains i smile. Its an amazing sports car and of course so is the porsche 911..

they are all wonderful. Corvettes are an american icon and I personally enjoy running these durable reliable and amazing sports cars that out perform exotics in many respects...(z06s and zr1s)

i fully expect the c8 z51to equal or exceed the c7 grand sports track performance as well...traditionally next generation corvettes meet or exceed the previous corvette generation in performance...up one notch so to speak..

thats how i base my description of the c8 z51mrc to equal the road course track performance of a c7 grand sport which equals the stunning and fantastic mclaren 570 ..

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-12-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:23 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Trust me guys, I believe they will knock it out of the park with the C8. I selfishly want it to be a low production rate car so it keeps some exclusivity and mystique... but sadly, I think they’ll build as many as they can sell, not unlike Mclaren is doing with their 720S right now. Rumors are the spyder is coming next March/April so those guys are clamoring for it because it’ll be the “next big thing”. Corvette as a brand is an American icon and i think if they stick to their roots, they’ll build what the masses want. Fast, sexy, relativity affordable, and more importantly, multiple choices for those who want more. It’s a good recipe for success in their case.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7BB:
bgspot (09-14-2018), JerriVette (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:34 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Wow. Eye-opening video regarding costs. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

I never had an issue with the 570S. How we got off topic was someone stated they found some 12C under 100k as I was looking for a clean 12C. I buy many cars and clean 2012 12C are north of 100k. Anything under that price I would be very cautious as problems are not cheap to fix. My 2015 Z06 had more issues than most of the exotics I have previously owned. I say do research and buying the correct car is very important to prevent future problems and money pits. Having a good trusted Warranty is always a plus.

Okay back to ME:TALK! cool:.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:40 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

I never had an issue with the 570S. How we got off topic was someone stated they found some 12C under 100k as I was looking for a clean 12C. I buy many cars and clean 2012 12C are north of 100k. Anything under that price I would be very cautious as problems are not cheap to fix. My 2015 Z06 had more issues than most of the exotics I have previously owned. I say do research and buying the correct car is very important to prevent future problems and money pits. Having a good trusted Warranty is always a plus.

Okay back to ME:TALK! cool:.
Spot on post! Didn’t mean to derail the thread... was just adding my thoughts to it.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

That's fine for a newer car company to have some reliability/quality issues. But what's not fine is charging $35k for a steering rack, $8k for headlights, $3k for a battery, etc. When you car is unreliable and there are design/quality flaws, either extend the warranty for these items or fix them at manufacturer's cost (see what Tesla does, another newer car company). If I was an owner with these issues and repair costs I'd be pissed and write off the brand completely. That is NOT how you build brand loyalty.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-12-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

Old 09-12-2018, 05:23 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect

That's fine for a newer car company to have some reliability/quality issues. But what's not fine is charging $35k for a steering rack, $8k for headlights, $3k for a battery, etc. When you car is unreliable and there are design/quality flaws, either extend the warranty for these items or fix them at manufacturer's cost (see what Tesla does, another newer car company). If I was an owner with these issues and repair costs I'd be pissed and write off the brand completely. That is NOT how you build brand loyalty.
Are you quoting those repair bills from experience? Lithium ion batteries are expensive... $5k for my 650S, but when a HUMAN makes a mistake and causes the battery to fail, is that the manufacturers fault? They covered the cost of my transmission on that same car under warranty. ($35k for transmission and $42k total repair) but that’s because it was leaking and their solution was to replace it. Not a bad gearbox, just leaking. Brand new transmission including labor under factory warranty... I DO speak from experience not hearsay or internet bullshit. Not trying to attacking you, just don’t bash a brand unless you’ve personally had bad dealings with them. There’s always more to these stories than what is told guaranteed!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:31 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Are you quoting those repair bills from experience? Lithium ion batteries are expensive... $5k for my 650S, but when a HUMAN makes a mistake and causes the battery to fail, is that the manufacturers fault? They covered the cost of my transmission on that same car under warranty. ($35k for transmission and $42k total repair) but that’s because it was leaking and their solution was to replace it. Not a bad gearbox, just leaking. Brand new transmission including labor under factory warranty... I DO speak from experience not hearsay or internet bullshit. Not trying to attacking you, just don’t bash a brand unless you’ve personally had bad dealings with them. There’s always more to these stories than what is told guaranteed!
I wasn't talking about repairs that are due to the owner. I clearly said "design flaws". The prices I quoted are from a few posts above yours, actual prices paid on the McLaren 12C repairs.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I wasn't talking about repairs that are due to the owner. I clearly said "design flaws". The prices I quoted are from a few posts above yours, actual prices paid on the McLaren 12C repairs.
Define a design flaw... Chevrolet has been building the Corvette for over 60 years and they still have some major issues with their product. Hell man, nothing is perfect. As I stated before, Mclaren is getting better by leaps and bounds from where they were on their first attempt at a road going car. All manufactures have issues with any new product they release. Porsche had epic engine failures in their GT3’s just a couple of years ago and guess what, they didn’t miss a beat replacing those blown engines.

I could talk about about many “design” flaws on many cars, but reality is... all cars have them. If you think the new C8 won’t go through some growing pains, some costly for them, some costly for their owners you’re fooling yourself. At the end of the day, owners will put up with what they’ll put up with based on miles per smiles. I ask you once more.., those “repair” bills you stated were actual costs, were they on your car? People like to dramatize their situations for pity/glory or whatever so it might impress someone or sway their decision on a particular brand, but it it’s not firsthand experience with the ACTUAL car or issue, I don’t believe half of what I read or hear.

Quick Reply: Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?