Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Default Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

Before the Camo shots I was pretty sure that GM is going after the exotics (in looks and performance) such as Ferrari, Lambo and McLaren but not so sure any more! Either way I am still confident in GM and they will be building an amazing machine! Time will tell.
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:15 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Harrd to say exactly. The c8 has what in the camoflauged shots a slightly taller greenhouse than ferraris 488 so it should be slightly easier use as a daily driver...much the same way the 911 has a slightly taller greenhouse.

thats about the best amswer i could could give. I think the performance will range from 911 to ferrari 488 depending on which verison of the c8 perchased.

the slightly taller greenhouse will gove a slightly less exotic car appearance. Of course with 30k annual units the corvette will much less rare than say a ferrari 488.

procing will in my opinion range from 65 grand to 150grand..

all just guesses until we see the finished product.

hard to tell exactly where the c8 lands until we see the road car in its full glory as its released.

i know ill prefer the c8 as its running costs will be minimal compared to either the porsche 911 or the exotic ferrar, lamborghini or mclaren crew.

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-07-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I hope not. Follow a different path Go a different direction. Create unique, not me-too. Set a standard for others to imitate. The best don't play catch-up. Period.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I think youll get your wish. Exotic car looks and performance at a price normal people pay for sports sedans etc..is a game changer
GundamX7X (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

It's Porsche

All along I said this is not a Halo car, I have good intel on those facts. Remember even if GM sourced their components from their highest brand for the ME that would be from Cadillac which is still behind in quality to their European competition. Heck, I sat in a Ford GT on Saturday it still had cheap A Ford buttons in a 400k+ car. The exclusive brands like Ferrari and Mclaren don’t have these issues as their customer base have more money and would not put up with it. The mid-engine Corvette I will ultimately want is the Z with the DOC motor which is another year plus away after GM releases the ME base/Z51.

There are pictures on this forum with a Porsche 911 Turbo S with Detroit plates claimed to be owned by GM following the ME in testing. Tadge has said they benched Porsche with the C7 and he admires what they have accomplished especially with their crazy options list.

Unfortunately, Ferrari builds to few cars with a price point that is 4 times the base price of a z51 C7. Chevrolet does not have the dealer-network and has too many cheap shared parts throughout the brands to feed those kinds of clients. Mclaren is trying to compete with Ferrari, the performance is competitive, its the depreciation, smaller inconvenient dealer network that causes issues with buyers. Mclaren just doesn't hold their values like a similar Fearri and getting hosed when they trade them up is not an ideal experience. Best to buy them pre-owned unless it's one of their exclusive models

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-08-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:37 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Numerous pictures a while back of the car bench marked against the 911 variants.
fasttoys (09-07-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:32 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The back is very tall, which cuts down on the svelte exotic look. They may have done that to increase luggage space, to make the car more of a daily driver, which would line it up more with Porsche. Having the performance of the 911 models is nothing to be ashamed of.

If I were to position the C8, it is targeting Porsche, while looking a bit more exotic, but not all the way exotic.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I have instructed in Ferraris and driven a few of them. I wasn't all that impressed with the switch gear in the cars. A switch is a switch. The only Ferrari that impressed me was their 4 seat CUV that I looked at last year. A list price of $359K and you could smell the leather 20 ft away from the car. Not sure how long the smell would have lasted but it did smell nice.

Bill
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have instructed in Ferraris and driven a few of them. I wasn't all that impressed with the switch gear in the cars. A switch is a switch. The only Ferrari that impressed me was their 4 seat CUV that I looked at last year. A list price of $359K and you could smell the leather 20 ft away from the car. Not sure how long the smell would have lasted but it did smell nice.

Bill
Ferrari at one time had what they callled as sticky buttons, the plastic breaks down over time and needs to be replaced. I have seen this with other manufacturers. Never had it on any of my older or newer Porsche’s. It’s still is a problem with the 430 ( my old car) and older Ferrari”s i am not sure if it happing with any 458”s since they are still under 10 years old. Dave should know who posted this thread.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Sorry but ferraris are junk....overrated pieces of crap ...(kidding) but the durability in these various exotics is over rated...

gm builds a,azing durable prodicts...the europeans are great at percieved quality but pile on the miles and its bend over time for the most part,,,

im sure we will hear of the exceptions etc but i just dont care...

beat the crap out of a vette and it doesnt even breath hard..

do it in a european exotic and as a long term owner your screwed...

porsches pdk definitely being an exception...

great job on the durability of that transmission even with 1000 hard launches it still holds up.

well done porsche
Old 09-08-2018, 12:56 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
gm builds a,azing durable prodicts...the europeans are great at percieved quality but pile on the miles and its bend over time for the most part,
You are 100% spot on. This is one of the biggest factors that helped me decide on a Corvette instead of a Porsche 911, which is considered one of the more reliable of the Euro sports cars (but that's not saying much).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-08-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

So instead of calling it super car or whatever you want here is ultimately what those cars are a boutique experience.

Is someone going to buy a C8 over a 488? I doubt if they can afford it, more than likely they will get both.

You don't have Corvette owners who own a Ferrari, you have Ferrari owners who own a Corvette. There is a big difference in that.

The performance gap gets smaller and smaller so Ferrari and the rest move the post. Material quality, custom car anyway you want, *** kissing dealer experience, etc.

I don't get the obsession over this whole idea anyways. There is no magic to make a 300K car cost 80K, there just isn't. You can make an 80K car as fast as a 300K car, but it still isn't the same thing.

If I had 488 money, I'd get a 488. I'm not there yet but I'm getting there and the bigger issue over the price of the car is the cost of ownership. I don't have it so I'm getting a C8.

I love Porsche's. Chevy will never be Porsche. Drive their cars, sit in them, and walk around them in detail they are a world apart in detail engineering. They build what they want to build and price it accordingly. Chevy starts with a price and builds it accordingly.

Go to a Porsche dealer and spend some real time walking around a 911, or any of their cars. If you can't see the difference then you probably don't care about those things. I think most Porsche owners care about it, the others just want the brand or the name.

But in the end the Corvette is going to be a better performing car once I am done with it and I can live with the detail engineering for 1/2 the cost.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-08-2018 at 01:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoOne:
born2beS12 (07-18-2019), fasttoys (09-08-2018), r00t61 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Mclaren is trying to compete with Ferrari, the performance is competitive, its the depreciation, smaller inconvenient dealer network that causes issues with buyers. Mclaren just doesn't hold their values like a similar Fearri and getting hosed when they trade them up is not an ideal experience. Best to buy them pre-owned unless it's one of their exclusive models
I definitely agree, however it’s great for us second hand buyers. A McLaren 12C is now under 100k. I plan on that being my 2019 purchase. I do believe the newer McLarens like the 720 will hold their value better though.

As for the C8s target, I’m sure it’ll still be Porsche. And is that a bad thing? Porsche makes some incredible track cars. Now being mid engine the Vette might have a shot at holding a torch to the GT3/2.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black

I definitely agree, however it’s great for us second hand buyers. A McLaren 12C is now under 100k. I plan on that being my 2019 purchase. I do believe the newer McLarens like the 720 will hold their value better though.

As for the C8s target, I’m sure it’ll still be Porsche. And is that a bad thing? Porsche makes some incredible track cars. Now being mid engine the Vette might have a shot at holding a torch to the GT3/2.
Beware of used McLaren repair/maintenance costs...Ive heard nightmares.

Also the Z06 and/or ZR1 has already "held a torch" to Porsche's GT cars for the past few generations.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-08-2018 at 01:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
CorvettoBrando (09-08-2018), desmophile (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by NoOne
So instead of calling it super car or whatever you want here is ultimately what those cars are a boutique experience.

Is someone going to buy a C8 over a 488? I doubt if they can afford it, more than likely they will get both.

You don't have Corvette owners who own a Ferrari, you have Ferrari owners who own a Corvette. There is a big difference in that.

The performance gap gets smaller and smaller so Ferrari and the rest move the post. Material quality, custom car anyway you want, *** kissing dealer experience, etc.

I don't get the obsession over this whole idea anyways. There is no magic to make a 300K car cost 80K, there just isn't. You can make an 80K car as fast as a 300K car, but it still isn't the same thing.

If I had 488 money, I'd get a 488. I'm not there yet but I'm getting there and the bigger issue over the price of the car is the cost of ownership. I don't have it so I'm getting a C8.

I love Porsche's. Chevy will never be Porsche. Drive their cars, sit in them, and walk around them in detail they are a world apart in detail engineering. They build what they want to build and price it accordingly. Chevy starts with a price and builds it accordingly.

Go to a Porsche dealer and spend some real time walking around a 911, or any of their cars. If you can't see the difference then you probably don't care about those things. I think most Porsche owners care about it, the others just want the brand or the name.

But in the end the Corvette is going to be a better performing car once I am done with it and I can live with the detail engineering for 1/2 the cost.
Here's what I will say...my wife and I have "Ferrari money". But, we aren't pretentious; we're about meritocracy in all things including the merit of products we purchase. So, a Corvette delivers everything we want/need in a sportscar/supercar, but without paying a vast sum more for things that are mostly pretense/prestige. While we have the Ferrari money, we get more value out of splurging on vacations, our house, etc.

So the theory that "someone who can afford a Ferrari will just buy a Ferrari" does not hold true. We'll buy the C8 (most likely wait for the Z variants) because it's nearly as good, and then spend the remainder elsewhere (ie. not a car).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-08-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Beware of used McLarren repair/maintenance costs...Ive heard nightmares.

Also the Z06 and/or ZR1 has already "held a torch" to Porsche's GT cars for the past few generations.
I’ve heard. That’s how I ended up with my GS over the 12C in the first place. The payment on the car is cool until something happens to the power steering and it’s a 35k fix and the car is out of warranty. That’s what happened to my friend. You can buy an extended warranty for about 5k a year but that’s a ton of extra money when it doesn’t cover everything.

And yeah they’ve held a torch to the GT cars, it definitely haven’t passed them. The GT3 RS is better than the Z06 Z07 and same goes for the GT2 RS compared to the ZR1.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Here's what I will say...my wife and I have "Ferrari money". But, we aren't pretentious; we're about meritocracy in all things including the merit of products we purchase. So, a Corvette delivers everything we want/need in a sportscar/supercar, but without paying a vast sum more for things that are mostly pretense/prestige. While we have the Ferrari money, we get more value out of splurging on vacations, our house, etc.

So the theory that "someone who can afford a Ferrari will just buy a Ferrari" does not hold true. We'll buy the C8 (most likely wait for the Z variants) because it's nearly as good, and then spend the remainder elsewhere (ie. not a car).
So my all time favorite company is Ferrari. Not because of the prestige but more because of rarity. I always liked being different which is why I bought an SRT-6 Crossfire over a C5 Vette. However, after getting my GS I feel like I’ve been inducted into some club. I see Vettes every single day but they all wave and it’s like I’m part of this badass cult. I don’t regret my decision in the slightest. And my car is basically new and under warranty compared to the 430 I would have gotten that would have cost more and I probably would have been scared to drive because the in case **** my happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

Old 09-08-2018, 01:54 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I was going under the qualification of shopping for a car. Do all people who have that kind of money have a car like that, no and that was not the intent of my post.

My intent was someone with Ferrari money walking into a Ferrari dealer and looking at a 488 isn't going to look across the street and see the C8 discount signs(6 months after launch) and run across the street to the Chevy dealer.

Affording one and owning one are two different things also. I could go buy one now and sacrifice other things, their primary market segment are people who do not need to make those decisions. My idea of owning one is doing all of it, at the same time, without a care about one or the other.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-08-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:57 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

we don't want the new C8 ME to be just a poor man's Porsche.
Hire away Ferrari designers for a really exotic look
make sure it has a V8
a roomier interior for 2 (no pretend backseat)with an optional ultra plush interior and optional awd(finally)

since GM looks at Porsche, they may want to offer a varied selection of Corvette models-SUV, Sedan,
and add a Cayman/Boxster type Corvette into the mix.
of course improve quality to make J.D. Power's list-

Old 09-08-2018, 02:30 PM
evanft
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

I think it's targeting the Miata this time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?