Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

 
Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 PM
  #1  
DaveFerrari458
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,385
Liked 185 Times in 132 Posts
Default Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?

Before the Camo shots I was pretty sure that GM is going after the exotics (in looks and performance) such as Ferrari, Lambo and McLaren but not so sure any more! Either way I am still confident in GM and they will be building an amazing machine! Time will tell.
DaveFerrari458 is offline  
The following users liked this post: DaveFerrari458
tooold2race (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:15 PM
  #2  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 10,913
Liked 977 Times in 673 Posts
Default

Harrd to say exactly. The c8 has what in the camoflauged shots a slightly taller greenhouse than ferraris 488 so it should be slightly easier use as a daily driver...much the same way the 911 has a slightly taller greenhouse.

thats about the best amswer i could could give. I think the performance will range from 911 to ferrari 488 depending on which verison of the c8 perchased.

the slightly taller greenhouse will gove a slightly less exotic car appearance. Of course with 30k annual units the corvette will much less rare than say a ferrari 488.

procing will in my opinion range from 65 grand to 150grand..

all just guesses until we see the finished product.

hard to tell exactly where the c8 lands until we see the road car in its full glory as its released.


i know ill prefer the c8 as its running costs will be minimal compared to either the porsche 911 or the exotic ferrar, lamborghini or mclaren crew.


Last edited by JerriVette; 09-07-2018 at 10:28 PM.
JerriVette is online now  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 PM
  #3  
AORoads
CF Senior Member
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 43,406
Liked 1,365 Times in 1,133 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"
Default

I hope not. Follow a different path Go a different direction. Create unique, not me-too. Set a standard for others to imitate. The best don't play catch-up. Period.
AORoads is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 PM
  #4  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 10,913
Liked 977 Times in 673 Posts
Default

I think youll get your wish. Exotic car looks and performance at a price normal people pay for sports sedans etc..is a game changer
JerriVette is online now  
The following users liked this post: JerriVette
GundamX7X (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 PM
  #5  
fasttoys
CF Senior Member
 
fasttoys's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 970
Liked 311 Times in 143 Posts
Default

It's Porsche

All along I said this is not a Halo car, I have good intel on those facts. Remember even if GM sourced their components from their highest brand for the ME that would be from Cadillac which is still behind in quality to their European competition. Heck, I sat in a Ford GT on Saturday it still had cheap A Ford buttons in a 400k+ car. The exclusive brands like Ferrari and Mclaren don’t have these issues as their customer base have more money and would not put up with it. The mid-engine Corvette I will ultimately want is the Z with the DOC motor which is another year plus away after GM releases the ME base/Z51.

There are pictures on this forum with a Porsche 911 Turbo S with Detroit plates claimed to be owned by GM following the ME in testing. Tadge has said they benched Porsche with the C7 and he admires what they have accomplished especially with their crazy options list.

Unfortunately, Ferrari builds to few cars with a price point that is 4 times the base price of a z51 C7. Chevrolet does not have the dealer-network and has too many cheap shared parts throughout the brands to feed those kinds of clients. Mclaren is trying to compete with Ferrari, the performance is competitive, its the depreciation, smaller inconvenient dealer network that causes issues with buyers. Mclaren just doesn't hold their values like a similar Fearri and getting hosed when they trade them up is not an ideal experience. Best to buy them pre-owned unless it's one of their exclusive models

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-08-2018 at 02:56 AM.
fasttoys is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 11:37 PM
  #6  
jma242
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Posts: 752
Liked 162 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Numerous pictures a while back of the car bench marked against the 911 variants.
jma242 is offline  
The following users liked this post: jma242
fasttoys (09-07-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:32 AM
  #7  
Michael A
CF Senior Member
 
Michael A's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 4,170
Liked 292 Times in 188 Posts
Default

The back is very tall, which cuts down on the svelte exotic look. They may have done that to increase luggage space, to make the car more of a daily driver, which would line it up more with Porsche. Having the performance of the 911 models is nothing to be ashamed of.

If I were to position the C8, it is targeting Porsche, while looking a bit more exotic, but not all the way exotic.
Michael A is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:35 AM
  #8  
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 33,020
Liked 3,481 Times in 2,325 Posts
Default

I have instructed in Ferraris and driven a few of them. I wasn't all that impressed with the switch gear in the cars. A switch is a switch. The only Ferrari that impressed me was their 4 seat CUV that I looked at last year. A list price of $359K and you could smell the leather 20 ft away from the car. Not sure how long the smell would have lasted but it did smell nice.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is online now  
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 AM
  #9  
fasttoys
CF Senior Member
 
fasttoys's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 970
Liked 311 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
I have instructed in Ferraris and driven a few of them. I wasn't all that impressed with the switch gear in the cars. A switch is a switch. The only Ferrari that impressed me was their 4 seat CUV that I looked at last year. A list price of $359K and you could smell the leather 20 ft away from the car. Not sure how long the smell would have lasted but it did smell nice.

Bill
Ferrari at one time had what they callled as sticky buttons, the plastic breaks down over time and needs to be replaced. I have seen this with other manufacturers. Never had it on any of my older or newer Porscheís. Itís still is a problem with the 430 ( my old car) and older FerrariĒs i am not sure if it happing with any 458Ēs since they are still under 10 years old. Dave should know who posted this thread.
fasttoys is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 12:08 PM
  #10  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 10,913
Liked 977 Times in 673 Posts
Default

Sorry but ferraris are junk....overrated pieces of crap ...(kidding) but the durability in these various exotics is over rated...

gm builds a,azing durable prodicts...the europeans are great at percieved quality but pile on the miles and its bend over time for the most part,,,

im sure we will hear of the exceptions etc but i just dont care...

beat the crap out of a vette and it doesnt even breath hard..

do it in a european exotic and as a long term owner your screwed...

porsches pdk definitely being an exception...

great job on the durability of that transmission even with 1000 hard launches it still holds up.

well done porsche
JerriVette is online now  
Old 09-08-2018, 12:56 PM
  #11  
ArmchairArchitect
CF Senior Member
 
ArmchairArchitect's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Posts: 1,019
Liked 349 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
gm builds a,azing durable prodicts...the europeans are great at percieved quality but pile on the miles and its bend over time for the most part,
You are 100% spot on. This is one of the biggest factors that helped me decide on a Corvette instead of a Porsche 911, which is considered one of the more reliable of the Euro sports cars (but that's not saying much).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-08-2018 at 01:14 PM.
ArmchairArchitect is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 PM
  #12  
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Auburn Hills MI
Posts: 26,555
Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts
Default

So instead of calling it super car or whatever you want here is ultimately what those cars are a boutique experience.

Is someone going to buy a C8 over a 488? I doubt if they can afford it, more than likely they will get both.

You don't have Corvette owners who own a Ferrari, you have Ferrari owners who own a Corvette. There is a big difference in that.

The performance gap gets smaller and smaller so Ferrari and the rest move the post. Material quality, custom car anyway you want, *** kissing dealer experience, etc.

I don't get the obsession over this whole idea anyways. There is no magic to make a 300K car cost 80K, there just isn't. You can make an 80K car as fast as a 300K car, but it still isn't the same thing.

If I had 488 money, I'd get a 488. I'm not there yet but I'm getting there and the bigger issue over the price of the car is the cost of ownership. I don't have it so I'm getting a C8.

I love Porsche's. Chevy will never be Porsche. Drive their cars, sit in them, and walk around them in detail they are a world apart in detail engineering. They build what they want to build and price it accordingly. Chevy starts with a price and builds it accordingly.

Go to a Porsche dealer and spend some real time walking around a 911, or any of their cars. If you can't see the difference then you probably don't care about those things. I think most Porsche owners care about it, the others just want the brand or the name.

But in the end the Corvette is going to be a better performing car once I am done with it and I can live with the detail engineering for 1/2 the cost.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-08-2018 at 01:12 PM.
NoOne is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by NoOne:
fasttoys (09-08-2018), r00t61 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM
  #13  
Mr Triple Black
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 210
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fasttoys View Post
Mclaren is trying to compete with Ferrari, the performance is competitive, its the depreciation, smaller inconvenient dealer network that causes issues with buyers. Mclaren just doesn't hold their values like a similar Fearri and getting hosed when they trade them up is not an ideal experience. Best to buy them pre-owned unless it's one of their exclusive models
I definitely agree, however itís great for us second hand buyers. A McLaren 12C is now under 100k. I plan on that being my 2019 purchase. I do believe the newer McLarens like the 720 will hold their value better though.

As for the C8s target, Iím sure itíll still be Porsche. And is that a bad thing? Porsche makes some incredible track cars. Now being mid engine the Vette might have a shot at holding a torch to the GT3/2.
Mr Triple Black is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM
  #14  
ArmchairArchitect
CF Senior Member
 
ArmchairArchitect's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Posts: 1,019
Liked 349 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black View Post


I definitely agree, however itís great for us second hand buyers. A McLaren 12C is now under 100k. I plan on that being my 2019 purchase. I do believe the newer McLarens like the 720 will hold their value better though.

As for the C8s target, Iím sure itíll still be Porsche. And is that a bad thing? Porsche makes some incredible track cars. Now being mid engine the Vette might have a shot at holding a torch to the GT3/2.
Beware of used McLaren repair/maintenance costs...Ive heard nightmares.

Also the Z06 and/or ZR1 has already "held a torch" to Porsche's GT cars for the past few generations.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-08-2018 at 01:38 PM.
ArmchairArchitect is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
CorvettoBrando (09-08-2018), desmophile (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 PM
  #15  
ArmchairArchitect
CF Senior Member
 
ArmchairArchitect's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Posts: 1,019
Liked 349 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
So instead of calling it super car or whatever you want here is ultimately what those cars are a boutique experience.

Is someone going to buy a C8 over a 488? I doubt if they can afford it, more than likely they will get both.

You don't have Corvette owners who own a Ferrari, you have Ferrari owners who own a Corvette. There is a big difference in that.

The performance gap gets smaller and smaller so Ferrari and the rest move the post. Material quality, custom car anyway you want, *** kissing dealer experience, etc.

I don't get the obsession over this whole idea anyways. There is no magic to make a 300K car cost 80K, there just isn't. You can make an 80K car as fast as a 300K car, but it still isn't the same thing.

If I had 488 money, I'd get a 488. I'm not there yet but I'm getting there and the bigger issue over the price of the car is the cost of ownership. I don't have it so I'm getting a C8.

I love Porsche's. Chevy will never be Porsche. Drive their cars, sit in them, and walk around them in detail they are a world apart in detail engineering. They build what they want to build and price it accordingly. Chevy starts with a price and builds it accordingly.

Go to a Porsche dealer and spend some real time walking around a 911, or any of their cars. If you can't see the difference then you probably don't care about those things. I think most Porsche owners care about it, the others just want the brand or the name.

But in the end the Corvette is going to be a better performing car once I am done with it and I can live with the detail engineering for 1/2 the cost.
Here's what I will say...my wife and I have "Ferrari money". But, we aren't pretentious; we're about meritocracy in all things including the merit of products we purchase. So, a Corvette delivers everything we want/need in a sportscar/supercar, but without paying a vast sum more for things that are mostly pretense/prestige. While we have the Ferrari money, we get more value out of splurging on vacations, our house, etc.

So the theory that "someone who can afford a Ferrari will just buy a Ferrari" does not hold true. We'll buy the C8 (most likely wait for the Z variants) because it's nearly as good, and then spend the remainder elsewhere (ie. not a car).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-08-2018 at 01:33 PM.
ArmchairArchitect is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:30 PM
  #16  
Mr Triple Black
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 210
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect View Post
Beware of used McLarren repair/maintenance costs...Ive heard nightmares.

Also the Z06 and/or ZR1 has already "held a torch" to Porsche's GT cars for the past few generations.
Iíve heard. Thatís how I ended up with my GS over the 12C in the first place. The payment on the car is cool until something happens to the power steering and itís a 35k fix and the car is out of warranty. Thatís what happened to my friend. You can buy an extended warranty for about 5k a year but thatís a ton of extra money when it doesnít cover everything.

And yeah theyíve held a torch to the GT cars, it definitely havenít passed them. The GT3 RS is better than the Z06 Z07 and same goes for the GT2 RS compared to the ZR1.
Mr Triple Black is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:49 PM
  #17  
Mr Triple Black
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 210
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect View Post
Here's what I will say...my wife and I have "Ferrari money". But, we aren't pretentious; we're about meritocracy in all things including the merit of products we purchase. So, a Corvette delivers everything we want/need in a sportscar/supercar, but without paying a vast sum more for things that are mostly pretense/prestige. While we have the Ferrari money, we get more value out of splurging on vacations, our house, etc.

So the theory that "someone who can afford a Ferrari will just buy a Ferrari" does not hold true. We'll buy the C8 (most likely wait for the Z variants) because it's nearly as good, and then spend the remainder elsewhere (ie. not a car).
So my all time favorite company is Ferrari. Not because of the prestige but more because of rarity. I always liked being different which is why I bought an SRT-6 Crossfire over a C5 Vette. However, after getting my GS I feel like Iíve been inducted into some club. I see Vettes every single day but they all wave and itís like Iím part of this badass cult. I donít regret my decision in the slightest. And my car is basically new and under warranty compared to the 430 I would have gotten that would have cost more and I probably would have been scared to drive because the in case **** my happen.
Mr Triple Black is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:54 PM
  #18  
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Auburn Hills MI
Posts: 26,555
Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect View Post
Here's what I will say...my wife and I have "Ferrari money". But, we aren't pretentious; we're about meritocracy in all things including the merit of products we purchase. So, a Corvette delivers everything we want/need in a sportscar/supercar, but without paying a vast sum more for things that are mostly pretense/prestige. While we have the Ferrari money, we get more value out of splurging on vacations, our house, etc.

So the theory that "someone who can afford a Ferrari will just buy a Ferrari" does not hold true. We'll buy the C8 (most likely wait for the Z variants) because it's nearly as good, and then spend the remainder elsewhere (ie. not a car).
I was going under the qualification of shopping for a car. Do all people who have that kind of money have a car like that, no and that was not the intent of my post.

My intent was someone with Ferrari money walking into a Ferrari dealer and looking at a 488 isn't going to look across the street and see the C8 discount signs(6 months after launch) and run across the street to the Chevy dealer.

Affording one and owning one are two different things also. I could go buy one now and sacrifice other things, their primary market segment are people who do not need to make those decisions. My idea of owning one is doing all of it, at the same time, without a care about one or the other.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-08-2018 at 01:54 PM.
NoOne is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:57 PM
  #19  
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member
 
TBIRD57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,458
Liked 59 Times in 52 Posts
Default

we don't want the new C8 ME to be just a poor man's Porsche.
Hire away Ferrari designers for a really exotic look
make sure it has a V8
a roomier interior for 2 (no pretend backseat)with an optional ultra plush interior and optional awd(finally)

since GM looks at Porsche, they may want to offer a varied selection of Corvette models-SUV, Sedan,
and add a Cayman/Boxster type Corvette into the mix.
of course improve quality to make J.D. Power's list-





TBIRD57 is offline  
Old 09-08-2018, 02:30 PM
  #20  
evanft
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Posts: 119
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I think it's targeting the Miata this time.
evanft is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the C8 follow suit of past generations and go after Porsche 911 or Exotics?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: