Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clues point to base engine is turbo V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Please no V6.
V6's have me personally not considering Cadillac.
Maybe it is a stereotype; no longer logically, but
anything less than a V8 is not "machismo" (for lack of better word)
enough.
(Noting: Formula One's V6 hybrid is so sad to me, yet maybe V6, Hybrid,
Turbos transfer R&D to a larger portion of the manufacturers products.)
In closing, I rather have a 283 NA than a V6 Turbo.
(+1 for that high revving flat plane sound, but Vette's are know for their
low rpm street-ability.)
All FWIW
Funny, would think you could not find a Old Gear Head (76) like me who believes "nothing beats cubic inches" saying bring on a small cid dual turbo, double overhead cam engine in the C8!

Started with a "hopped up" flathead in my 1st car a '41 Ford Opera Coupe. Not fast enough so put every dime I made in my part time supermarket job stuffing in an Olds engine, bored 1/8 inches for '56 pistons, 3/4 race cam and biggest 4 barrel available at the time. It was quick. Built that engine in the basement. When I semi-retired 18 years ago assembled a 502/502 BB from some 30 boxes in my garage for my ProStreet Rod. Yep the V8's I've had in my 5 Vettes have been great BUT GM needs to get modern with a more efficient engine- NOT for our gas mileage-I'm sure most of use could care less-BUT for their corporate MPG Goal!

First, you need a double overhead cam so you can adjust intake and exhaust timing separately. Yep GM did a good job of getting what they could changing both at the same time in the LT1 BUT that is a compromise for max efficiency. Might as well get the power with 4 valves per cylinder and twin turbo's that can use some of the ~30% wasted energy going out the exhaust. Yep supercharging is fine for making power BUT it takes power to operate and does not use that wasted exhaust energy. Heck the Ford GT makes 647 hp from 3.5 Liter engine- GM can as well- even at least 3 hp more as their marketing folks are smarter (647hp???)

Now in fairness, I'll still have the set back 502 cid BB in my ProStreet Rod with 53% of it's 3000 lbs on those rear 16.5 inch section width Mickey Thomspons!

Pic of 41 Coupe from a 1960 High School Paper! Street Rod mostly goes to shows, can't drive too far on a small tank getting ~10 mpg!

PS: Can't really call the 1.6 Liter, 800+ hp F1 engine a hybrid! That electric motor/generator with its small battery weighs ~60 lbs! Love to have that 160 extra hp for 10 seconds (which is all it can deliver) in a Vette for take-off! That is where most gas is wasted and is all that would be needed until you reached ~50 mph for normal driving. F1 no longer allows refueling and they are beating the best prior lap times in the same race circuits when they had over twice the size V8's an V10s!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-20-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael A
"Dead on"?.

Car and Driver's prediction for the C7, " Downsizing is almost a given for efficiency reasons, so expect a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter (possibly 6.0-liter) mill in place of the current 6.2 in the base model. (The oft-rumored twin-turbo V-6? We’re thinking C8.) The smaller engine will continue to use an aluminum block and heads with pushrods, and should make roughly the same 430 hp as the current 6.2; it will do so, however, thanks in part to a higher compression ratio and direct fuel injection. "

Wrong.
Let's sure hope that the "halo C8" doesn't just have an old technology pushrod V8! They are building the 4.2 Liter Blackwing in BG (lower cid, less friction loss and cylinder size so less of the ~30% energy wasted going into the coolant) double overhead cam (with independently variable intake and exhaust timing to optimize mpg at low rpm and hp at high rpm- can't do that with one cam-for a reason) that employs turbo's that use some of the ~30% wasted energy that goes out the exhaust.

Heck the 2019 Alfa 4 door sports sedan has a 2.9 Liter engine providing 505 hp! 4.2 Liters is plenty and there is already a 550 hp version. The Ford GT is getting 647 hp from it's 3.5 Liter engine! In fact, F1, that runs on gasoline, uses a 1.6 Liter engine producing 800+ hp! They have more than doubled the mpg and still besting older much larger cid race times. The Car World is changing rapidly. We need a modern, albeit more complex, ICE to put off an "EV only" Vette!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

No way GM would do that...…..I don't think
Old 03-17-2019, 12:10 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Let's sure hope that the "halo C8" doesn't just have an old technology pushrod V8! They are building the 4.2 Liter Blackwing in BG (lower cid, less friction loss and cylinder size so less of the ~30% energy wasted going into the coolant) double overhead cam (with independently variable intake and exhaust timing to optimize mpg at low rpm and hp at high rpm- can't do that with one cam-for a reason) that employs turbo's that use some of the ~30% wasted energy that goes out the exhaust.

Heck the 2019 Alfa 4 door sports sedan has a 2.9 Liter engine providing 505 hp! 4.2 Liters is plenty and there is already a 550 hp version. The Ford GT is getting 647 hp from it's 3.5 Liter engine! In fact, F1, that runs on gasoline, uses a 1.6 Liter engine producing 800+ hp! They have more than doubled the mpg and still besting older much larger cid race times. The Car World is changing rapidly. We need a modern, albeit more complex, ICE to put off an "EV only" Vette!
You're like a broken record for misinformation and blind bias.

WHY DOES THE CORVETTE GET BETTER GAS MILEAGE THAN COMPETITION DESPITE HAVING LARGER DISPLACEMENT THEN!?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
NO! Be careful what you wish for. If it is an FPC, it better be way below 5 liters. Just got rid of a GT350 Shelby to buy my '19 Z06 manual. The Shelby GT350 5.2 FPC motors are having significant high oil burning and outright engine failures over 5 dozen engine failures already documented just from users reporting in from a few Mustang forums which probably have less than 1000 Shelby owners total. Major vibration issues with large FPC motors. Ford walked away from FPC motors and back to cross plane crank motors for their GT4 mustangs two years ago.
This!

FPC sound cool and they're fun to rev to the stratosphere on a track, but they have no place on a regularly driven street car. Above all, they nullify one of the V8's greatest attributes: low vibes. Even in healthy individuals, long duration exposure to engine vibrations can induce a vague sense of discomfort and unease. For those with neck or back problems, forget about it, a FPC C8 would be a torture chamber.

As for the V6 speculation, there is no way in holy hell GM will put anything other than V8 in the C8. Juechter would resign rather than sign off on such a travesty. Could there be some V8TT IVERs on public streets? Maybe, but like others have suggested, cylinder deactivation is most likely what some of you are hearing.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Heck the 2019 Alfa 4 door sports sedan has a 2.9 Liter engine providing 505 hp! 4.2 Liters is plenty and there is already a 550 hp version...We need a modern, albeit more complex, ICE to put off an "EV only" Vette!
The rumored LT1 successor will put down more power, have better throttle response, a more linear torque curve, better fuel economy, and silky smooth revs. Why would you give all that up for a buzzy V6TT that breaks down before reviewers can finish their testing?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:52 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Cadillac President Steve Carlisle says “NO”.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/c...win-turbo-v-8/
Old 03-17-2019, 02:57 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The rumored LT1 successor will put down more power, have better throttle response, a more linear torque curve, better fuel economy, and silky smooth revs. Why would you give all that up for a buzzy V6TT that breaks down before reviewers can finish their testing?
Because it’s “rumored” the Blackwing with it’s double overhead cam, independently variable intake and exhaust valve timing when set for max mpg in the EPA test, considering it’s 32% smaller cid and it’s use of some of the wasted exhaust gas gets 25 City and 33 highway mpg! Understand all the “buzz” from the high tech engine drowns out the tire and road noise.

Now if you never get near the 1.2” “g” lateral acceleration spec you can get the upscale model called “Easy Chair” because with it’s soft suspension, all-season tires on guaranteed for life not to crack, cast aluminum wheels, it’s like sitting in an Easy Chair! But be prepared for the $30,000 premium over the base “for performance only folks” model selling for $70,000!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
He just means the hot V V8 engine called "Blackwing," code LTA, won't show up in another GM brand.

The C8's V8TT will likely be based on the same architecture as LTA, but probably in a larger displacement with reversed heads and a brace of side mounted turbos. The hot V configuration is just for packaging in between the strut towers on a front engine rear drive vehicle. With the engine in front of the rear axle/suspension, there's no problem fitting the turbos close to the exhaust valves for minimum lag.

The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-19-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Because it’s “rumored” the Blackwing with it’s double overhead cam, independently variable intake and exhaust valve timing when set for max mpg in the EPA test, considering it’s 32% smaller cid and it’s use of some of the wasted exhaust gas gets 25 City and 33 highway mpg! Understand all the “buzz” from the high tech engine drowns out the tire and road noise.

Now if you never get near the 1.2” “g” lateral acceleration spec you can get the upscale model called “Easy Chair” because with it’s soft suspension, all-season tires on guaranteed for life not to crack, cast aluminum wheels, it’s like sitting in an Easy Chair! But be prepared for the $30,000 premium over the base “for performance only folks” model selling for $70,000!
I can't even figure out what your point is.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

I love my big bad LT1 motor, sounds like a freight train coming and runs like one too.
These tiny new engines crack me up. So European and not American muscle.
Those days are over with these new mini motors. They might be powerful but they aren't American muscle.
It's a new day and very soon they'll all be gone. So sad.

Last edited by Yarbie; 03-17-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
The answer to whether Cadillac will share its Blackwing engine with other brands is about as emphatic as it gets: “Over my dead body,” Cadillac President Steve Carlisle tells us.
Why would he say this, and why in such a pugilistic fashion? He's President of Cadillac, not GM, and if GM thinks it's a good fit (including the fact it is built at Bowling green) I would think he is at risk of following his predecessor out the door if he remains so uncooperative. Besides, what's the point? Why does he care and who cares if he does?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Why would he say this, and why in such a pugilistic fashion? He's President of Cadillac, not GM, and if GM thinks it's a good fit (including the fact it is built at Bowling green) I would think he is at risk of following his predecessor out the door if he remains so uncooperative. Besides, what's the point? Why does he care and who cares if he does?
I'm willing to bet that before he was considered for the job, while he was being considered for the job, and after he accepted the job as head man at Cadillac, Steve Carlisle knew exactly the position that those above him had about where the Blackwing would be utilized. He made the statement AFTER he accepted the job, so I'm betting he has more knowledge about what is going on within GM than you do.

If no one gives a ****, why is it being discussed after being published on national coverage.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Sure hope have not waited all this time for a base C8 to be a V6 , would not even consider a purchase.

And small litre engines in muscle cars is rather absurd.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ojm
Sure hope have not waited all this time for a base C8 to be a V6 , would not even consider a purchase.

Hmm, how do you feel about the 3.5 Liter, 647 hp engine in the Ford GT! Or perhaps you haven't looked at it because of the big bucks!

I look at it this way, the future for a new sports car (been my DD for 5 Vettes) is smaller cid, double overhead cam, turbo engines OR EV's! I'll take the ICE!

If you feel strongly, might consider what I did: Build a Street Rod and put in a NA 502 cid BB! Actually today you can buy a 572 cid engine with 650 hp! Now that's a stump puller!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm

Since when is the Corvette a muscle car?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Hmm, how do you feel about the 3.5 Liter, 647 hp engine in the Ford GT! Or perhaps you haven't looked at it because of the big bucks!

I look at it this way, the future for a new sports car (been my DD for 5 Vettes) is smaller cid, double overhead cam, turbo engines OR EV's! I'll take the ICE!

If you feel strongly, might consider what I did: Build a Street Rod and put in a NA 502 cid BB! Actually today you can buy a 572 cid engine with 650 hp! Now that's a stump puller!
Could be a plan, have one low mile car could work on. Though the V8 gt engine is still tight.

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
If the C8 is promised the HP we hear, it has lot of muscle, heck even the old 350 engine had some go in their days, not a GTO but could not afford one. When I drove my brother's it kind of scared me.Had the old C3's easily over 110mph on highway.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Clues point to base engine is turbo V6

Old 03-17-2019, 10:06 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm willing to bet that before he was considered for the job, while he was being considered for the job, and after he accepted the job as head man at Cadillac, Steve Carlisle knew exactly the position that those above him had about where the Blackwing would be utilized. He made the statement AFTER he accepted the job, so I'm betting he has more knowledge about what is going on within GM than you do.
I'm certain that he does as well and I never suggested otherwise. I'm just puzzled why he would react so strongly or, as you suggest, why those above him would do so, making him safe. Usually a high level executive need not answer so defintively. It's not in their best interests to do so, in case plans change. Why "over his dead body"? Why would he have such a vested interest here? Even the headline caught this. "Mine, mine, mine!" it said. Why the proprietary ownership here? GM has a long history of cross-pollination, including the Corvette engine in the Cadillac, and here the Blackwing is made in Bowling Green. Taken altogether, this makes no sense. Quite obviously he feels safe here or he never would have said such a dramatic thing. What is really going on here? THAT'S my question.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:32 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Link to claims?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
Always has been, depending on engine choice.

Except maybe for the short time that it was only available with a straight 6 and a 2-speed automatic.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-18-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Clues point to base engine is turbo V6