Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clues point to base engine is turbo V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:51 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I happen to think the eventual uplevel motor in the corvette if it goes flat plane crank will be a 3.9 liter turbo.

FOrds experiement with its larger than 4 liter flat plane crank v8 has had numerous issues due to displacement size.

decreasing displacement on the caddy twin turbo slightly and upping the boost makes more sense...especially if a flat plane crank is installed...

ferrari, mclaren both have 3.9 liter twin turbo motors.
good post...interesting..didnt know ... kinda makes sense.. with difficulty to balance FPC..and increased reciprocating weight... wonder if they can use lightest /strongest materials and make it work?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
NO! Be careful what you wish for. If it is an FPC, it better be way below 5 liters. Just got rid of a GT350 Shelby to buy my '19 Z06 manual. The Shelby GT350 5.2 FPC motors are having significant high oil burning and outright engine failures over 5 dozen engine failures already documented just from users reporting in from a few Mustang forums which probably have less than 1000 Shelby owners total. Major vibration issues with large FPC motors. Ford walked away from FPC motors and back to cross plane crank motors for their GT4 mustangs two years ago.
I realize this, he did say small.

PC
The following users liked this post:
bebezote (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

fasttoys (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:24 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Tadge: "Hey fellas, we got the funding to finally do a mid-engine Corvette! Let's get busy"
Harlan: "Cool. Since we're changing everything and all the faithful are going to be worried, let's send 'em over the edge and put a Turbo V6 in it"
Tadge: "Harlan....STFU"

We'll see soon enough, but I have MAJOR doubts that the base engine will be a Turbo V6.
Where's this engine coming from?
And anyone listening to the Nürburgring video and jumping to the conclusion that they're hearing a turbo V6 are:
1. Trolling
2. Possibly trolling
3. See 1 or 2
Round taillights missing on the C7 didn't effect sales, no manual on the ME will not effect sales. If a V6 is the only engine available on the first year MEs, GM better continue production of the FE to keep the bean counters happy.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:47 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I was told this by a Dealer service director that is on a nationwide GM panel to ready service departments across the Nation for the C8s arrival TWO YEARS AGO already. When I posted it I almost go kicked out of the Forum. Its very highly likely that the base car will have a V6 like it or not. I think this is another reason GM is trying to keep such a tight lid on the project because they know there will be tons of backlash when its announced.
Quote above:I think this is another reason GM is trying to keep such a tight lid on the project because they know there will be tons of backlash when its announced.

One part of the answer other than it’s a new product being tested, GM has a lot of unsold products on their lots, a new ME would hurt those sales.

If they know tons of Backlash would happen they would not be going with whatever is going to cause it, that is marketing suicide. This is not round taillights or pop up lights, V6 is not needed when they can do cylinder deactivation. It’s a V8 reason it sounds different is the entire exhaust system is smaller with a shorter run to exit since engine is in the rear.
Name all the V6 ME that are selling so well not using the Ford GT since that is a very low production hyper car designed to show of their Echo boost motor.

Okay I lied I am done with this thread about a Stupid V6.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-09-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:05 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
Round taillights missing on the C7 didn't effect sales, no manual on the ME will not effect sales. If a V6 is the only engine available on the first year MEs, GM better continue production of the FE to keep the bean counters happy.
Since you are making these bold predictions based on no information, let me make one of my own on some real information. If you think the 23% or so of people who are buying manuals now are going to en- mass migrate over to DCT, talk to Porsche about why they felt the need to bring back manuals on some of their 911 models. People here who do profess to actually know what is going on (and have legitimate contacts) have repeatedly said the base will have an updated LT1 pushrod motor with DCT only - with probably about the same increase in h/p as there was between the LS3 and LT1.

I would expect a modest track performance increase over the existing base car, not anywhere close to the performance of current Z06... And I freely admit that is just my guess based on zero data.
fasttoys (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 02:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It's a fact that the R&D is completed and the tooling purchased for a small displacement DOHC twin turbo Hot V V8 with either 500 HP of 550 HP for the 4 door sedan Cadillac CTC6. Makes no sense to R&D and tool up a V6 when you have the latest tech V8 sitting in the part's bin. Economies of scale make using the Cadillac V8 the natural choice for the base model Corvette(500 HP) and mid range model Corvette(550 HP) if dumping the 6.2L LT1 is in the works(which I doubt because of it's popularity in the large SUVs and pickups). The LT1 can be built cheap so it's a natural for the entry level low priced base model mid engine Corvette.

Being designed for the Cadillac luxury sedan, you can bet they(4L V8) are mild mannered, so I also bet there is plenty left in that small displacement V8 for a bunch more horsepower for the top dog model mid engine Corvette(if they dump the LT series engines) from the lineup.

But, since it appears that one model of the mid engine Corvette will have a disappearing hardtop(like a 1957 Ford Skyliner), the taller Cadillac engine might be a problem due to the locations of the turbos. plus the fact that the CAD drawings show a V8 with the turbo's mounted low on each side of the engine, not in the V.

Anyway, I don't believe a V6 is in the cards for any Corvette in the near future.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-09-2018 at 02:14 PM.
fasttoys (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Don't shoot the messenger!

You would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of V8s than me. I've lost track of how many V8 performance cars I have owned over the years. I know what a V8 sounds like. If for some reason I got amnesia, I can just go into the garage and start one of them up. This is either the worst sounding V8 ever made and is being short shifted, or it's a V6. I don't see the point of going all the way to ring, and not ringing out your engine. At full throttle, it will not be running in variable displacement mode.

My dream is to own a mid-engine Corvette with a V8, not a V6. I really hope I am wrong, and it is a V8. If so, they can take that entire exhaust system that sounds like a V6, and throw it in the garbage. Then get the Camaro LT1 exhaust engineer to design and tune a new one. Also it's not a case of the pipes being short. The 2005-2006 Ford GT didn't sound like a V6.

I wouldn't put it beyond GM to put a V6 Turbo in the Corvette, though. Who would have thought the base engine in the Camaro would be a 4 cylinder turbo? Strange times.

I am willing to bet it is cheaper long term to put a V6 version of the upcoming DOHC turbo V8 in the Corvette, than to put two completely different engines in the car that have no commonality at all.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

A 6 cylinder would be a travesty. I dont care how much power it makes. Look at the new Ford GT. Looks great but they neutered it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stingray23:
PurpleLion (09-09-2018), RapidC84B (09-10-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:42 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Don't shoot the messenger!

You would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of V8s than me. I've lost track of how many V8 performance cars I have owned over the years. I know what a V8 sounds like. If for some reason I got amnesia, I can just go into the garage and start one of them up. This is either the worst sounding V8 ever made and is being short shifted, or it's a V6. I don't see the point of going all the way to ring, and not ringing out your engine. At full throttle, it will not be running in variable displacement mode.

My dream is to own a mid-engine Corvette with a V8, not a V6. I really hope I am wrong, and it is a V8. If so, they can take that entire exhaust system that sounds like a V6, and throw it in the garbage. Then get the Camaro LT1 exhaust engineer to design and tune a new one. Also it's not a case of the pipes being short. The 2005-2006 Ford GT didn't sound like a V6.

I wouldn't put it beyond GM to put a V6 Turbo in the Corvette, though. Who would have thought the base engine in the Camaro would be a 4 cylinder turbo? Strange times.

I am willing to bet it is cheaper long term to put a V6 version of the upcoming DOHC turbo V8 in the Corvette, than to put two completely different engines in the car that have no commonality at all.
You will get your wish since what little I do know the ME Corvette is a V8.

Make sure you have good speakers and if you do, how does anyone think this sounds like a V6? I get a muted V8 but a V6 nope.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-09-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I was told this by a Dealer service director that is on a nationwide GM panel to ready service departments across the Nation for the C8s arrival TWO YEARS AGO already. When I posted it I almost go kicked out of the Forum. Its very highly likely that the base car will have a V6 like it or not. I think this is another reason GM is trying to keep such a tight lid on the project because they know there will be tons of backlash when its announced.
I must be missing the logic: how does "a ton of backlash" make for a welcoming introduction which will lead to future sales? Isn't that exactly what you DON'T want to do: tick off buyers at the intro? Kinda reminds me of "rocks and streams" with no pics of the cars---think Infiniti, 1989.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

No V6 is going in something GM badges as a "Corvette."
No way, no how...

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-09-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Michael A (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,434 Likes on 778 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I hear overhead cam, turbocharged V8 in the clip. Was hoping for the C7 ZR1 engine. I'd be on the list right now if it would.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:27 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

The engine sounds from Nurburgring sounds to me like a cross plane V8 engine.
It has the lub-dub sound/cadence of the cross plane V8.
It does not have the sound of a FE LT1 with the sound valve open. But this could simply be extra muffling to keep us all guessing.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
Since you are making these bold predictions based on no information, let me make one of my own on some real information. If you think the 23% or so of people who are buying manuals now are going to en- mass migrate over to DCT, talk to Porsche about why they felt the need to bring back manuals on some of their 911 models. People here who do profess to actually know what is going on (and have legitimate contacts) have repeatedly said the base will have an updated LT1 pushrod motor with DCT only - with probably about the same increase in h/p as there was between the LS3 and LT1.

I would expect a modest track performance increase over the existing base car, not anywhere close to the performance of current Z06... And I freely admit that is just my guess based on zero data.
No reason to get pi$$y about it. The fact is, sales didn't drop because of the taillights, and I didn't say all 23% of us who buy manuals would buy MEs, although some of us love the Vette more than we love manuals (yes I'm brand loyal) and I'm sure there will be a new group of buyers to offset the rest. The point I was trying to make is that a V6 will alienate a large group of us that have been driving Vettes for fifty years.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

If you think the c8 will have a v6, please hook me up with your drug dealer cause I want some of whatever you are smoking

Last edited by CitznFish; 09-09-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fasttoys

You will get your wish since what little I do know the ME Corvette is a V8.

Make sure you have good speakers and if you do, how does anyone think this sounds like a V6? I get a muted V8 but a V6 nope.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3QRHjqk-oJQ&t=32s

This is the same clip I posted at the beginning of the thread.

For everyone who has forgotten what the base C7 with the 6.2 L sounded like on the ring back in 2013, here is a video. This is the same engine some people are saying is in the base C8. The C8 doesn't sound even remotely similar to this, which is why people are saying they think the C8 sounds like it has a V6 in it. You be the judge. Watch the two videos back to back. Same engine?

By the way, just watching this video of the C7 will put a smile on your face, and so will the Z28 with the 7L that's in it, too.

Last edited by Michael A; 09-09-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clues point to base engine is turbo V6

Old 09-09-2018, 09:46 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Lol. No. It's a version of the exact same as the LT1.

already confirmed by Car and driver. And if you look back they have always been on if not dead on and that came from them.

plus their rendering is going to dam close to the actual San's a couple small details.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Lol. No. It's a version of the exact same as the LT1.

already confirmed by Car and driver. And if you look back they have always been on if not dead on and that came from them.

plus their rendering is going to dam close to the actual San's a couple small details.
"Dead on"?.

Car and Driver's prediction for the C7, " Downsizing is almost a given for efficiency reasons, so expect a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter (possibly 6.0-liter) mill in place of the current 6.2 in the base model. (The oft-rumored twin-turbo V-6? We’re thinking C8.) The smaller engine will continue to use an aluminum block and heads with pushrods, and should make roughly the same 430 hp as the current 6.2; it will do so, however, thanks in part to a higher compression ratio and direct fuel injection. "

Wrong.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:27 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Get your ears cleaned, none of those sound like a V6.

Quick Reply: Clues point to base engine is turbo V6