Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clues point to base engine is turbo V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
I love the V8 muscle too but... Porsche, with the 4.0 six did handiily beat Ford and Corvette in the IMSA 12 hour rave at Sebring on Sunday. Just saying.
You do know those cars are artificially balanced by IMSA so they have roughly equivalent performance, right?
The following users liked this post:
Boiler_81 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
I did not see all those other posts so I don't mind.
I've begun to notice the guy does it in multiple threads multiple times, its really weird.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Yet another mention of your 502 street rod. Can a day pass without you making a post about it, lol?
Doubt it! If you like science when I get back home Sunday will show how reducing exposed cylinder wall area cut engine temp. Reference is on book shelf!
Old 03-19-2019, 01:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I'd be just fine with the modern 750 hp engine in the current Corvette ZR1.

Not only is it more powerful than the Ford GT, but gets better fuel economy too. So which engine is really more advanced?
The FordGT is geared to beat the C7R, which it is unfortunately doing.

But don’t worry with the Blackwing or Blackfoot or whatever name modern engine they are building in BG the C8R will beat it’s butt!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-19-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
LOL, neither of these race car versions are production cars. Try a less lame argument.

The factory stock C7 ZR1 turned a faster lap time at VIR Raceway than the megabuck Ford GT, despite being driven by an engineer (not a professional race car driver), and additionally handicapped with a front-engine chassis layout.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

But don’t worry with the Blackwing or Blackfoot or whatever name modern engine they are building in BG the C8R will beat it’s butt!
I really like "Skate, Piranha or Barracuda". Moves it away from the Indian names so Lizzy will not be offended plus moves into the more historic killer fish based Corvette nicknames.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-19-2019 at 01:34 PM.
JerryU (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

I think what's fooling people into thinking they hear a V6 or possibly a flat plane crank V8 is the exhaust system. On a cross plane crank V8, the firing order goes L-R-L-L-R-L-R-R. This causes some interference in the exhaust system, which costs some horsepower and is what gives a big cammed V8 that potato-potato-potato sound. Around the track, you get an engine that sounds like this:

An X-pipe is a band-aid fix for this. You still have interference in the exhaust pulses. However, in a mid-engined car, you have another option: The "bundle of snakes" exhaust:

It evens out the exhaust pulses through the collectors, improving flow and giving a significant horsepower boost at high rpm. However, it makes the engine sound a little like a V6.

It sounds like this:

Both cars have old skool cross plane crank V8's. The difference is in how they route the exhaust.

Last edited by sstonebreaker; 03-19-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Foosh (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
I think what's fooling people into thinking they hear a V6 or possibly a flat plane crank V8 is the exhaust system. On a cross plane crank V8, the firing order goes L-R-L-L-R-L-R-R. This causes some interference in the exhaust system, which costs some horsepower and is what gives a big cammed V8 that potato-potato-potato sound. Around the track, you get an engine that sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK_IhFsqgAU

An X-pipe is a band-aid fix for this. You still have interference in the exhaust pulses. However, in a mid-engined car, you have another option: The "bundle of snakes" exhaust:

It evens out the exhaust pulses through the collectors, improving flow and giving a significant horsepower boost at high rpm. However, it makes the engine sound a little like a V6.

It sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCUv6Bfu1H4

Both cars have old skool cross plane crank V8's. The difference is in how they route the exhaust.
I would hardly call it "old skool". The upcoming Ford Shelby GT500 went back to a cross plane crank.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Michigan's new Democrat governor is pushing a 45 cent per gallon increase, which would result in the highest gas taxes in the nation.

The main problem with increases like this is that some of it always gets siphoned off to other projects.
In Michigan's case, the claim is that all the tax increase would go to road funding. That sounds good, right? But that doesn't give the whole picture. The proposal also allows current road funding from other sources to be reduced, and diverted to other things.
Pretty sneaky! Ya just can't trust those darned politicians!
As a Californian with the highest gas taxes in the nation, don't fall for this. We have the worst roads in the nation, and the highest gas taxes. They keep increasing the gas taxes and car taxes saying it's for the roads, and the roads are just as bad as ever. We may not be driving Corvettes much longer here, because we'll need the money to buy a motorhome to live in.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:04 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
As a Californian with the highest gas taxes in the nation, don't fall for this. We have the worst roads in the nation, and the highest gas taxes. They keep increasing the gas taxes and car taxes saying it's for the roads, and the roads are just as bad as ever. We may not be driving Corvettes much longer here, because we'll need the money to buy a motorhome to live in.
You guys seem to have a Liberal disaster that is getting worse by the day. I honestly can't imagine living in a "Sanctuary City".
Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

LOL, neither of these race car versions are production cars. Try a less lame argument.

The factory stock C7 ZR1 turned a faster lap time at VIR Raceway than the megabuck Ford GT, despite being driven by an engineer (not a professional race car driver), and additionally handicapped with a front-engine chassis layout.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
I like this post, good job!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
I like this post, good job!
Yeah but the fastest car at VIR Lightning Laps was the turbo 6 cylinder 3.8L 700bhp Porsche which somehow got left out. That's a car I think you don't like based on some posts.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-19-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yeah but the fastest car at VIR Lightning Laps was the turbo 6 cylinder 3.8L 700bhp Porsche which somehow got left out. That's a car I think you don't like based on some posts.
something something pancake motor housewife Camry car, if I recall correctly.

Quick Reply: Clues point to base engine is turbo V6