Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the REAL reason for a motor in the back???

Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

the real reason for having a motor in the back is that:

you'll have a spare when the one in the front quits;

the total horsepower of both engines can be over 1000;

you can have independent 4wd;

you'll have a car that is powered by both gasoline and electricity, allowing for a backup in case you run out of one or the other.

Last edited by senah; 09-09-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Cardesignforfun
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

The C8.R is going to a mid engine to compete better with the Ford GT, 488 GTE and Porsche 911 RSR. Both the road and race car are developed side by side. The C7 chassis is reaching it's performance limit for front mid engine layout. Mid engine is the next step to keep pushing the performance forward.
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Imo, and from experience, FE rwd cars tend to be easier to drive at THEIR limits than an ME rwd car because the FE car's front weight bias keeps you the driver in check. ME cars and more so RE cars, dont make you feel that way until it's at the point of no return.. and only the best drivers can get it back because what you need to do is not instinctual lol.

there are going to be SO MANY C8s with repainted panels from the same guys going from FE to ME it isn't going to be funny. The stability control in the C8 is going to be so intrusive. Watch. And it will need to be.

insurance will be through roof as well. Nightmare coming. And I want it to succeed. Just a realist. .

The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
Jeffer (09-12-2018), rsvette12 (09-09-2018)
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24

What's the REAL reason for putting the motor in the back of a Corvette? .. I mean, ... 99% of all other vehicles have the engine where it belongs, .. *In the front*! This just seems like some novelty at it's core, to me. I know the claims of better handling, ..but the current Vette handles SO awesomely, ... what more is needed? 51/49 front bias, as opposed to 51/49 rear bias, ... really??? The generated talk might gen up some addiional sales, .. so I guess so!
interesting looking car, stew. i'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:14 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
interesting looking car, stew. i'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.
That curved rear section looks a lot better - side scoop is wacko
The following users liked this post:
vettesweetnos (09-10-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was just on a skid pad, 50/50 would be fine but under acceleration and braking, the weight should be biased to the rear. Power on understeer is a thing, but most of that will be handled in the stability control. Iif you run with the nannies off, We are going to have to get used to lift throttle to induce steer - which isn’t my favorite.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
It's more like 41/59 and ya can take it from there.

PC
When one gets to this kind of weight bias, one has to be very careful about lifting the car. More than a few Lotus Elises tried to fall off a lift backwards as people were not strictly following the lifting points, some succeeded
Darion (09-10-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Drove a McLaren 12C recently and have driven a number of mid-engine cars all they way down to the old MR2 Spyder (ugly with a weak 4 banger but fun as hell!).

The McLaren absolutely blew my mind with how it effortlessly put down the power and how direct it felt to drive - truly the most outstanding piece of automotive engineering I've ever felt in every possible way (as it should be for the moola). Drove a friend's C7 Z06 recently as well (and it's on my short list for my next car). While it felt nearly as fast as the McLaren, I was pleasantly surprised at the outstanding steering feel, etc, the level of torque was almost TOO high - it just didn't seem to be able to put the power down and mag tests seem to play this out. In contrast the McLaren would just wind up and rev SO fast and it seemed the tires only ever lost grip only slightly - it would just hook up and slingshot like mad when I hit the gas.

Anyhow, point being, I see Corvette engineer's frustrations with the limits of the FE platform. I think the ME car will be able to "punch above its weight" similar to other ME cars relative to its power output and will provide a different and exciting driving experience as other ME cars do that just can't be captured in road test data. I love Vettes and find the handling to be great fun and pretty easy to manage at the limit. And there's no denying their performance, especially lately - the capabilities are really amazing. But I still see the reason these guys have been itching for the ME platform. Can't wait to drive one some day and see what is similar and what is different. That's what loving cars is all about - the flavors make it interesting. If they were all the same, that would be boring, right?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
Yeah, it's interesting I'd say. I put the Pac Man and accents back in this side scoop. Render didn't have it.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRich
Drove a McLaren 12C recently and have driven a number of mid-engine cars all they way down to the old MR2 Spyder (ugly with a weak 4 banger but fun as hell!).

The McLaren absolutely blew my mind with how it effortlessly put down the power and how direct it felt to drive - truly the most outstanding piece of automotive engineering I've ever felt in every possible way (as it should be for the moola). Drove a friend's C7 Z06 recently as well (and it's on my short list for my next car). While it felt nearly as fast as the McLaren, I was pleasantly surprised at the outstanding steering feel, etc, the level of torque was almost TOO high - it just didn't seem to be able to put the power down and mag tests seem to play this out. In contrast the McLaren would just wind up and rev SO fast and it seemed the tires only ever lost grip only slightly - it would just hook up and slingshot like mad when I hit the gas.

Anyhow, point being, I see Corvette engineer's frustrations with the limits of the FE platform. I think the ME car will be able to "punch above its weight" similar to other ME cars relative to its power output and will provide a different and exciting driving experience as other ME cars do that just can't be captured in road test data. I love Vettes and find the handling to be great fun and pretty easy to manage at the limit. And there's no denying their performance, especially lately - the capabilities are really amazing. But I still see the reason these guys have been itching for the ME platform. Can't wait to drive one some day and see what is similar and what is different. That's what loving cars is all about - the flavors make it interesting. If they were all the same, that would be boring, right?
I feel what you are saying, and in fact have gotten my interest piqued in what this platform might feel like handling wise. Reminds me of the time back in 1984 when I bought my first Honda Prelude. May sound crazy to those not from that time, but that restyled model was introduced, and found to be an exceptionally high handling performance vehicle! This car was an absolute blast to drive compared to most anything else on the road at the time. Road & Track Magazine did a "Best Handling" car available comparison, and narrowed down the winner to be between the Honda Prelude and the Porsche 944. What was key, was the exceptionally light weight of the car. It was just so instantly toss-able and damped immediately due to the light weight. If the new ME Corvette saves any weight in this conversion, that should pay big dividends.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Theoretically it's to put more weight on the rear axle and have the polar moment of inertia closer to the center of the car as it turns. This lets turning easier, quicker and more stable. Having less weight on the front axle also has benefits in steering control and feel.

One other benefit is the sound, which is pretty cool coming over your shoulder. Also the car interior runs cooler so you can save some weight on heat protection.

The downside is that they are more complicated, more expensive, require more cooling, a more complex exhaust system in a tighter package, and are more difficult to work on.

Last edited by Sin City; 09-09-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by eyedeekay
This. I believe Motor Trend had an article of the Zr1 talking about how the platform as a whole is basically at its limit. Besides the vette, viper and maybe the GTR, their really arent many front engine cars out there competing with the top end cars. Making a FE car as competitive as a ME car is hard, and GM for the longest time has been able to keep up with the competition despite this. I think they are ready to go the next step though with this next generation. The only exception I could think of is the Aston Martin Vulcan, but that car can only be driven on the track, plus its $2.3 million.

love the Vulcan. I heard a British car group spent a fortune on a Street legal conversion. They must be having fun!

add the Mb AMG GT and two of the top five fastest Ferraris (based on Fiorano testing), the F12tdf and the 812 superfast (just released).
Only their electric super car the LaFerrari beats the f12tdf

Last edited by Parcival; 09-10-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Red08Roadster
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I've read the handling advantage of an ME car over an FE is analogous to a figure skater. When she's spinning and and her arms are extended she can only spin so fast but when she pulls her arms in her rate of spin increases. With extended arms the skater is like a front engine car with more weight distributed at the ends of the the axis, slowing the rate of turn. With tucked in arms the skater is like a mid-engine car with more weight centrally located increasing the rate of turn. Makes sense to me.
JerriVette (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:47 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24
I've never driven a Lambo, Ferrari or Mclaren. My C7 GS handles like nothing I've ever experienced, and wonder how much better it can get? I assume, as do you ... having less weight over the wheels that steer makes it more nimble, but is that better? Nimble can be thought of as nervous, at times. If a motor in the back has all these positive virtues, it would seem you'd see it applied far more in the marketplace.
P.S., .. That video of the ME running at the Nurburgring didn't *appear* to be handling any faster than any other Vette or Camaro I've seen there.
Go drive a 458 and then let us know how it compares to your GS...
Originally Posted by vndkshn
Seen the ZR1 power?

Comparing a Corvette with a car that is so heavy it has it's own gravity is ridiculous.
Very true.
For the millionth time: the Hellcat/Demon is a muscle car, the Vette is a sportscar.

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Had a 15/Z06 and felt the HP overwhelmed the rear under hard acceleration, could not imagine a new ZR1.
Yes, it surely does...and not in a good way.
It's rather frustrating IMO.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Expand handling, braking and acceleration capabilities plus have a rear mid engine design forces owners of previous generations to let go of their oride and joys as they cant pretend their awesome sports cars are anywhere near the track performance of the upcoming c8.

game over and 40 or 50 years in the making.

who here hasnt heard the rumor of a rear mid engine corvette?

besides gm needs room to stretch the 2 plus 2 camaro out of a retro theme and into a sleek 2 plus 2 corvette body style...

that alpha chassis is a performance champ.

the corvette team had to make and take the leap...to stay the clear winner.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:17 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by elegant
Thanks mitchydkid! You are correct that 50/50 was never correct to begin with. Many exotics go up to 58% of their weight on their rear wheels.

It didn’t have to be an exotic for GM to make a F...... (Hidden to prevent strokes) back in 1988. It had a 43/57 wt distribution thus handled great. UNDER POWERED for sure. CANCELLED it was. BUT, as a DD for me in my 30’s (when a Corvette was out of my price range) traveling to work 30 Miles/day even plowing through 8” road snow. It never let me down. My later new ‘93 Camaro did as its FE rear wheel traction sucked.

My experience is not at the same level as others in this thread with exotic MEs in their past. It is the same in that we can’t wait for what GM is about to offer us, and now raised up to the Corvette level. I’m truly excited.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 09-10-2018 at 08:20 AM.
purple heart (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:03 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
besides gm needs room to stretch the 2 plus 2 camaro out of a retro theme and into a sleek 2 plus 2 corvette body style...

that alpha chassis is a performance champ.
You know, these two points cannot be overlooked now that you mention it. Great point.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the REAL reason for a motor in the back???

Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Sin City
have the polar moment of inertia closer to the center of the car as it turns. This lets turning easier, quicker and more stable.
This is the reason for a mid engine car.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:12 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
When one gets to this kind of weight bias, one has to be very careful about lifting the car. More than a few Lotus Elises tried to fall off a lift backwards as people were not strictly following the lifting points, some succeeded
Yikes, had not considered that! Future thread title, When lifting your new C8........(pic) Crunch.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

It didn’t have to be an exotic for GM to make a F...... (Hidden to prevent strokes) back in 1988. It had a 43/57 wt distribution thus handled great. UNDER POWERED for sure. CANCELLED it was. BUT, as a DD for me in my 30’s (when a Corvette was out of my price range) traveling to work 30 Miles/day even plowing through 8” road snow. It never let me down. My later new ‘93 Camaro did as its FE rear wheel traction sucked.

My experience is not at the same level as others in this thread with exotic MEs in their past. It is the same in that we can’t wait for what GM is about to offer us, and now raised up to the Corvette level. I’m truly excited.
I had a similar experience 3 decades ago with a different mid-engine underpowered car also beginning with an "F" (think rust.)

While it had no acceleration to speak of, there really is something to the "feel" of such cars. Very go-kart-like; great fun. Only sold it because it really was junk. But, fun junk. C8 should be an absolute blast and much different than our Vettes -- and most definitely NOT junk...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the REAL reason for a motor in the back???