Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the REAL reason for a motor in the back???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

imo need an awd option to move it even more
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
When one gets to this kind of weight bias, one has to be very careful about lifting the car. More than a few Lotus Elises tried to fall off a lift backwards as people were not strictly following the lifting points, some succeeded
And trailer it to the track backwards.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:02 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Theoretically it's to put more weight on the rear axle and have the polar moment of inertia closer to the center of the car as it turns. This lets turning easier, quicker and more stable. Having less weight on the front axle also has benefits in steering control and feel.

One other benefit is the sound, which is pretty cool coming over your shoulder. Also the car interior runs cooler so you can save some weight on heat protection.

The downside is that they are more complicated, more expensive, require more cooling, a more complex exhaust system in a tighter package, and are more difficult to work on.
The polar moment in the center of the car is what I feel in my MR2 Spyder. You feel the car just rotates and turns on a dime when making 90 degree turns. With the sticky Yokohama tires, the car just changes direction without a sound from the tires. It only weighs 1970 lbs, so it is very nimble and quick, and a blast to drive. Most people replace the 1.8l motor with the 1.8l 180 HP motor from the Celica GTS. That's the same motor the Elise uses. That gets the 1700 Elise in the low 4's 0-60, and low 5's in the MR2. I always wanted an Elise, but I can't get both legs into the car. If the C8 gives you the same handling as the MR2, but with lots more power, it would be the most awesome car ever for the money. I kept my MR2 because it is so much fun to drive. And hearing the engine behind you with a tuned exhaust is like music to your ears. The only thing that will screw it up for me, is not having a manual transmission in the C8.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:40 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

The performance of the ME Corvette will definitely be better and I'm all for it. I think part of what OP means is even if the ME car does get better, it won't be so night and day that a normal driver on the streets can take advantage of. That is why many believe that there is a market for both the ME and the current front mid engine set up for a better daily driving experience with about 90-95% of the performance of the ME car.
The following users liked this post:
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I was saying this in another thread. The C7 ZR1 is at its limits for traction. C5-C7 vehicles with 600whp all have traction issues when normal street tires are in use. I am just talking straight line, forget road racing.

Moving the engine to the rear and giving the vehicle a 45/55 split will improve traction on base to high horsepower models. This is a must when competitors are bumping the horsepower up in their AWD, RE or ME platforms. FE can’t keep up without AWD.
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24
I've never driven a Lambo, Ferrari or Mclaren. My C7 GS handles like nothing I've ever experienced, and wonder how much better it can get? I assume, as do you ... having less weight over the wheels that steer makes it more nimble, but is that better? Nimble can be thought of as nervous, at times. If a motor in the back has all these positive virtues, it would seem you'd see it applied far more in the marketplace.
P.S., .. That video of the ME running at the Nurburgring didn't *appear* to be handling any faster than any other Vette or Camaro I've seen there.
I have instructed in several ME cars. Ferrari 458, Lambo Hurracan, and an Audi R8. Each of them seemed to perform very well in turns. Imagine a pivot point drilled right down the vertical center of the car. Each of these cars would pivot around that point much easier than my C7 Z06 would. Once the front wheels started the car turning in the rear would respond and the cars just seemed to pivot and go off the turn. The car just turns quicker and is ready to power off the corner sooner while the front engine car is still turning and isn't ready to power off the corner as it is pointed the wrong way.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-10-2018 at 05:57 PM.
bebezote (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 06:24 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have instructed in several ME cars. Ferrari 458, Lambo Hurracan, and an Audi R8. Each of them seemed to perform very well in turns. Imagine a pivot point drilled right down the vertical center of the car. Each of these cars would pivot around that point much easier than my C7 Z06 would. Once the front wheels started the car turning in the rear would respond and the cars just seemed to pivot and go off the turn. The car just turns quicker and is ready to power off the corner sooner while the front engine car is still turning and isn't ready to power off the corner as it is pointed the wrong way.

Bill
hi Bill... could you PM me about your school? I'm a 1/4 mile maniac... but prolly get schooled by a 18 yo kid on a track... and dont want to learn on the job training..and wad up the car...lol..
Old 09-10-2018, 07:19 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker
More weight saving
I'm not entire sure about that. Sure, the drive-shaft materials (torque tube in Corvette) isn't needed, saving "some" weight, but all the other requirements that's needed to put the engine behind the driver, such as additional piping for all the cooling, negate that weight saving. On top of it, the bracing necessary to install the engine behind the driver on the rear subframe means you wipe out ALL the weight savings of a rear mounted mid engine design vs. front mounted mid engine design.

Most of the super/über exotic cars with rear mounted ME are typically lighter because they're super/über exotics and use exotic materials for weight savings, because at that price people EXPECT a light, high performance car. Take the Ferrari 488 vs. 812 Superfast, for example. For having 4 more cylinders (V12 vs. V8) and more than 50% larger displacement (6.5L vs. 3.9L), the Superfast is only 100lbs heavier. Rear mounted mid engine vs. front mounted mid engine, and if you factor out the mass difference in engine displacement and cylinder count*, the Superfast (front mounted mid engine) is actually LIGHTER.

* NOTE: The only reference I can find of a direct, same period comparison of a V12 to a V8 was a mid 1990's Mercedes V12 vs. V8 (1997 5.8L V12 vs. their 3.9L V8) and the difference was well over 210 lbs.

I suspect, if Chevy uses the same basic engine design (LT1) for the base C8, the C8 is probably going to be about 100-200 lbs HEAVIER than the C7.
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Imo, and from experience, FE rwd cars tend to be easier to drive at THEIR limits than an ME rwd car because the FE car's front weight bias keeps you the driver in check. ME cars and more so RE cars, dont make you feel that way until it's at the point of no return.. and only the best drivers can get it back because what you need to do is not instinctual lol.

there are going to be SO MANY C8s with repainted panels from the same guys going from FE to ME it isn't going to be funny. The stability control in the C8 is going to be so intrusive. Watch. And it will need to be.

insurance will be through roof as well. Nightmare coming. And I want it to succeed. Just a realist. .
Do not compare a modern rear mid engine car to an old rear engine car. (say 911). You are comparing apples to oranges. The rear mid engine C8 will not have handling issues and will handle much better than a C7 Z06 at the limit.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by *C7*
Do not compare a modern rear mid engine car to an old rear engine car. (say 911). You are comparing apples to oranges. The rear mid engine C8 will not have handling issues and will handle much better than a C7 Z06 at the limit.
Bingo
OP If you have to ask why mid engine for the C8 just means you never driven a V8 powered mid engine car.

Drive a 458 and you have your answer as to why the switch from front mid to rear mid!!

Last edited by vetteman41960; 09-11-2018 at 01:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetteman41960:
bebezote (09-11-2018), Parcival (09-12-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:42 AM
doctor_charly
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Theoretically it's to put more weight on the rear axle and have the polar moment of inertia closer to the center of the car as it turns. This lets turning easier, quicker and more stable. Having less weight on the front axle also has benefits in steering control and feel.

One other benefit is the sound, which is pretty cool coming over your shoulder. Also the car interior runs cooler so you can save some weight on heat protection.

The downside is that they are more complicated, more expensive, require more cooling, a more complex exhaust system in a tighter package, and are more difficult to work on.

To me that's the truth...except if GM has found a way to make it "cheaper". For exemple : maybe they keep the exhaustif tubes of the C7 and they will stuff them on the side or on the roof like a truck
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Let's make sure they actually build it and then ask this question.
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 02:32 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Golf clubs up front

Originally Posted by Stew24

What's the REAL reason for putting the motor in the back of a Corvette? .. I mean, ... 99% of all other vehicles have the engine where it belongs, .. *In the front*! This just seems like some novelty at it's core, to me. I know the claims of better handling, ..but the current Vette handles SO awesomely, ... what more is needed? 51/49 front bias, as opposed to 51/49 rear bias, ... really??? The generated talk might gen up some addiional sales, .. so I guess so!
The real reason is so your golf clubs are up front and get to the course before you do!
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
You are asking NOW? Where have you been for the last 50 years?

I have been waiting for a mid engine Corvette since 1973 when the mid engine Wankel Corvette was supposed to come out!

You're one patient man.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:19 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
the real reason is so your golf clubs are up front and get to the course before you do!

lol
Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08Roadster
I've read the handling advantage of an ME car over an FE is analogous to a figure skater. When she's spinning and and her arms are extended she can only spin so fast but when she pulls her arms in her rate of spin increases. With extended arms the skater is like a front engine car with more weight distributed at the ends of the the axis, slowing the rate of turn. With tucked in arms the skater is like a mid-engine car with more weight centrally located increasing the rate of turn. Makes sense to me.
That was a fantastic analogy.
The following 2 users liked this post by MEJ:
bebezote (09-11-2018), PurpleLion (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 04:35 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts

Is this question meant as a joke ?

The reason 99% of vehicles are front engined is that it's a lot cheaper to produce, less complicated, and in case the writer didn't notice, only a tiny fraction of vehicle production are sports cars, so for them mid-engine has no relevance. Anyone who has ever driven a mid-engine car, even an older one like a Pantera, notices immediately that you can take a corner at a much higher speed. That is because more of the weight is centered in toward the middle of the vehicle allowing it to be rotated at faster rate than a vehicle with a heavy weight (the engine) placed away from the center of rotation.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the REAL reason for a motor in the back???

Old 09-11-2018, 06:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
I'm not entire sure about that. Sure, the drive-shaft materials (torque tube in Corvette) isn't needed, saving "some" weight, but all the other requirements that's needed to put the engine behind the driver, such as additional piping for all the cooling, negate that weight saving. On top of it, the bracing necessary to install the engine behind the driver on the rear subframe means you wipe out ALL the weight savings of a rear mounted mid engine design vs. front mounted mid engine design.

Most of the super/über exotic cars with rear mounted ME are typically lighter because they're super/über exotics and use exotic materials for weight savings, because at that price people EXPECT a light, high performance car. Take the Ferrari 488 vs. 812 Superfast, for example. For having 4 more cylinders (V12 vs. V8) and more than 50% larger displacement (6.5L vs. 3.9L), the Superfast is only 100lbs heavier. Rear mounted mid engine vs. front mounted mid engine, and if you factor out the mass difference in engine displacement and cylinder count*, the Superfast (front mounted mid engine) is actually LIGHTER.

* NOTE: The only reference I can find of a direct, same period comparison of a V12 to a V8 was a mid 1990's Mercedes V12 vs. V8 (1997 5.8L V12 vs. their 3.9L V8) and the difference was well over 210 lbs.

I suspect, if Chevy uses the same basic engine design (LT1) for the base C8, the C8 is probably going to be about 100-200 lbs HEAVIER than the C7.
Sorry, I don't buy your analogy. A rear subframe would not be heavier than a front subframe for the engine. The lack of torque tube, drive shaft, and short exhaust should reduce weight by 100-200lb not increase it.
ArmchairArchitect (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:07 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

yep...I'm Jeff and I once owned a MR2..wow..I typed it...And it was a great handling under powered Mo'fo ..I was about to dump my 13Z for a 17GTR until I saw the video of the (hopefully) Vette ME at the ring...Now I just have to be patient
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
The Ferrari F355 (and 348) do not have plumbing that goes to the front, the water-air radiators are behind the side air scoops, as are the A/C cooler and the oil cooler. So it is NOT necessary to plumb a bunch of hot liquids to the front in order to cool them. Yes, they do plumb hot water to the cabin heater and the A/C lines to the cabin air control box, and even the PS pressure to the steering rack, but these are small thin pipes not the big ones used to cool the motor and other stuff back there.

The Ferrari 360 when to front radiators in order to ADD polar moment and slow the car YAW down to enable more novice drivers to drive the things without danger.

The C8 side vents are (ARE) big enough to cool an LT1 and transaxle, I don't know if they are big enough to cool a TT or supercharged engine.

Last edited by MitchAlsup; 09-11-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: What's the REAL reason for a motor in the back???