Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about trunk space?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:33 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Then go to your Honda dealer and drive the civic type r. Spoiler alert on real roads in real life and not on a track the civic will give the best driving experience and its front wheel drive front engine. Actually to be honest I get more driving experience out of my saab 93 then my Vette. One of the most fun cars I've driven is a Toyota echo. Skinny tires light weight ok power. Even at public speed limits you feel like the cars at the limit on a track. Sometimes less is more.
​​​​​​
I have my corvette for looks and practicality nothing more. It could have had the 2.0t or all I care.

I don't understand what you mean by compromised. What's compromised?
Flyingbunning I let you go drive a Civic R. I will drive my 15 458.

Again you missed the entire point if you think driving a Civic R or a Sabb can compare to driving a rear mid engine V8 like a Ferrari 458 then your just not a car guy.

The C8 will drive much more like a Ferrari 458 than a Civic R.

The entire reason GM is going rear mid engine is driving dynamics.

But you go have fun in that Civic I stick to my Callaway SC 757 or my 458.

I am positive that driving a Civic R does not make my bucket list.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-01-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

Again you missed the entire point if you think driving a Civic R or a Sabb can compare to driving a rear mid engine V8 like a Ferrari 458 then your just not a car guy.

if truck space is your number 1 need keep buying your Civics. Huge trunk and "a better driving car than a corvette"
The following 2 users liked this post by Ted P:
ArmchairArchitect (11-01-2018), vndkshn (10-08-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:11 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Guess James May is also not a car guy as he has made the same argument on top gear. Also you missed the point I'm talking about off track on public roads with speed limits of 55 mph or less.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Guess James May is also not a car guy as he has made the same argument on top gear. Also you missed the point I'm talking about off track on public roads with speed limits of 55 mph or less.
so let us get this straight. the Corvette is better on the track than your Civic but on regular roads the Civic out performs the Corvette? Do you really have a Corvette? this may be one of the top 10 crazy posts of the year
vndkshn (10-08-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Ryan R
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Like the MX-5 the Civic type R is a fun car that you can wring more out of(rev it high through 1-3)something that if I did in my Vette would get my license taken away. The guy was pretty obvious about this point, don’t have to be an *** about stuff.
ByByBMW (10-08-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
so let us get this straight. the Corvette is better on the track than your Civic but on regular roads the Civic out performs the Corvette? Do you really have a Corvette? this may be one of the top 10 crazy posts of the year
A true spots car is not just about power, it is about handling and how it gets around a corner. A true sports car can have only 100 hp or less and still be a blast to drive. Ultimate horsepower has nothing to do with being a sports car.

For me, I would prefer the ultimate GT car to the ultimate sports car. The GT is designed for the road while the ultimate sports car can only be fully used on the track.

Last edited by Tom73; 09-14-2018 at 11:04 AM.
ByByBMW (10-08-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ryan R
Like the MX-5 the Civic type R is a fun car that you can wring more out of(rev it high through 1-3)something that if I did in my Vette would get my license taken away. The guy was pretty obvious about this point, don’t have to be an *** about stuff.
This is the statement he made "I have my corvette for looks and practicality nothing more. It could have had the 2.0t or all I care". Sorry but I have to ask why spend that much money on a vette if you're not getting it for performance. if you enjoy the dynamics of the Civic (despite the schoolboy looks) you could buy 2 of them for the price of the vette. And the bigger trunk which was his 1st priority in the thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ted P:
ArmchairArchitect (09-14-2018), vndkshn (10-08-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

I actually agree with Flyingbunning in a way. It is much more fun to drive a slow car to its limits than a fast car slow.....unless you are at a racetrack or a HPDE and can set your car on fire and walk away without blinking..... I can push a little miata to its limits and have a blast. My 19Z06 on public roads, hell if I put more than 20% throttle, I'm in jail territory very quickly. Now I don't know it that is what he way referring to or not....just my opinion...
ByByBMW (10-08-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Ryan R
Intermediate

I agree with you that I’m never craving a smaller engine in the Vette. Ever. Just on that last quote you did of his it seemed like what he said there was a fair comment and you were being a bit harsh. I love that people get so excited about their cars!

btw. I suck at quoting.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ryan R
I agree with you that I’m never craving a smaller engine in the Vette. Ever. Just on that last quote you did of his it seemed like what he said there was a fair comment and you were being a bit harsh. I love that people get so excited about their cars!

btw. I suck at quoting.
you're probably right. different strokes I guess
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
This is the statement he made "I have my corvette for looks and practicality nothing more. It could have had the 2.0t or all I care". Sorry but I have to ask why spend that much money on a vette if you're not getting it for performance. if you enjoy the dynamics of the Civic (despite the schoolboy looks) you could buy 2 of them for the price of the vette. And the bigger trunk which was his 1st priority in the thread.
Honestly I don't really care so much about cost. I almost got a miata instead of my Vette but liked the extra room the Vette had. So what if I spent 60k instead of 30k I don't really care. The Vette is still fun. Up on the highway top down its a hoot. Getting in it every day after work makes me feel special. Just sitting in the corvette makes me smile. But also the trunk is what let's me drive it every day. It's what let's me get a full load of groceries or suitcases going to the airport or drive across country.

I was only suggesting that the corvette isn't the most fun car I have for slow speed driving. That I can drive my crappy cars at their limits on public roads can be as fun or more sometimes.

I guess I could always just use other cars to get groceries or going on long trips. But going to work getting groceries and long trips and going to the airport are all things my Vette do. But sometimes it just want what ever matches my mood.

Anyways there are articles online everywhere with people debating fast car slow or slow car fast. For me it depends on what I feel like when I grab my keys.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 09-14-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

This is the problem with the Corvette. This is why its considered an old mans car by many. The Corvette is a performance car. Period. The compromises made by GM over the years to accommodate all kinds of people and their needs has left the Corvette behind. It needs to be a performance car first. Thats what it is. Thats its DNA. If you want to take a week long trip with the misses, take or buy another car or shut up and deal with it.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Ryan R
Intermediate

I’m definitely more on the hope for less compromises and better performance but GM has to find that balance. The last two generations have been so awesome that it’ll be hard to keep that progression but them going mid engine at all shows they’re going for performance. Hell, even if this one isn’t everything at least they’ve gone mid engine.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Honestly I don't really care so much about cost. I almost got a miata instead of my Vette but liked the extra room the Vette had. So what if I spent 60k instead of 30k I don't really care. The Vette is still fun. Up on the highway top down its a hoot. Getting in it every day after work makes me feel special. Just sitting in the corvette makes me smile. But also the trunk is what let's me drive it every day. It's what let's me get a full load of groceries or suitcases going to the airport or drive across country.

I was only suggesting that the corvette isn't the most fun car I have for slow speed driving. That I can drive my crappy cars at their limits on public roads can be as fun or more sometimes.

I guess I could always just use other cars to get groceries or going on long trips. But going to work getting groceries and long trips and going to the airport are all things my Vette do. But sometimes it just want what ever matches my mood.

Anyways there are articles online everywhere with people debating fast car slow or slow car fast. For me it depends on what I feel like when I grab my keys.

fair enough. I too enjoy options and like my Infiniti red sport 400 for the engine and the catback I put on and also enjoy driving my wife's BMW 340i a well made quick and fun car to toss around

Old 10-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

GM could solve a lot of these issues by making the Camaro the compromised commuter sports car. Instead they give it childish styling and make it even less compromised than a Corvette. As recent sales show, nobody wants a Camaro that sucks as a daily driver. They want a car with a good trunk, good outward visibility, and roomy interior, that also happens to be a sports car. Kind of a like an American BMW coupe.

If GM offered such a Camaro then they could dedicate the Corvette to performance.

Or they could make a dedicated Corvette Grand Tourer sub-model with a NA V8 for those who never it to the track. Then make all the Z models noisy track stars.

​​​​​​​
Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Or they could make a dedicated Corvette Grand Tourer sub-model with a NA V8 for those who never it to the track. Then make all the Z models noisy track stars.
I believe they do that now - it is called the base Stingray coupe - plenty of room, great ride, and not as noisy as the GS or Z06 because of ts standard size tires.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Then go to your Honda dealer and drive the civic type r. Spoiler alert on real roads in real life and not on a track the civic will give the best driving experience and its front wheel drive front engine. Actually to be honest I get more driving experience out of my saab 93 then my Vette. One of the most fun cars I've driven is a Toyota echo. Skinny tires light weight ok power. Even at public speed limits you feel like the cars at the limit on a track. Sometimes less is more.
The most ridiculous post I think I've read in... well, forever perhaps.

There is NO WAY that driving a Civic (even the Type R), or a Saab 9-3, and ESPECIALLY a Echo even come close to the fun and driving experience of a Corvette. ANY Corvette. Using them as comparisons is just insane or you have a drastically different opinion of what a good driving experience is.

I was given an Echo as a loaner years ago while my M3 was in the shop for warranty work. It was the worst car driving experience of my life, and I've owned and driven some turds in my day. A close second was a Nissan Versa with a CVT.

Get notified of new replies

To What about trunk space?

Old 10-08-2018, 04:17 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

For my use case, fitting one or two moderate sized roller suitcases (like I use to fly with, it's a tight fit in the overhead, but it fits) and a backpack is plenty of room for my wife and I to enjoy a road trip. We don't take the whole closet with us. Most of the times we actually share the same suitcase and do fine for up to a week, longer if we are going to see family and use their washing machine. My "getting groceries" in a car like this consists of stopping off on the way home for a few odds and ends we are out of, if its more than that, we take the SUV or truck. I don't play golf, but I can see the desire to carry something that size for some. But honestly, outside of the Cayman, what ME car can carry a golf bag?

EDIT: the whole "practical" and "carry golf bags" type debate is why I for one think we will see a ME car called Zora and a new/true C8 FE car called Stingray. I still feel it was not just marketing that had them bring back the Stingray name.

Last edited by vndkshn; 10-08-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Until there is something showing the layout of the car, there is no way to know. Transverse allows for more storage. It would be similar to Fiers or Ferraris. 2 separate lines building 2 entirely different cars at the same plant is unlikely. I honestly don't think GM can afford to build 2 2 seat sports cars along with the Camaro. When the Camaro shrunk, it returned to toddler rear seats. It won't be long however, the ME goes into production in 10 months.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Until there is something showing the layout of the car, there is no way to know. Transverse allows for more storage. It would be similar to Fiers or Ferraris. 2 separate lines building 2 entirely different cars at the same plant is unlikely.I honestly don't think GM can afford to build 2 2 seat sports cars along with the Camaro. When the Camaro shrunk, it returned to toddler rear seats. It won't be long however, the ME goes into production in 10 months.
Apparently, from other posts, some of these test cars were built on the C7 assembly line.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ilt-today.html

Last edited by Tom73; 10-08-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: What about trunk space?