Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Wanna bet the exotics up their game...watch as they have already begun to up their highest performance models...

the corvette has always been a thorn in their sides...

to think otherwise is naive.
Yep. If we are talking competition the Corvette has always been nipping at them. That is why everything is moving into the 650-700+HP range. Few short years ago Ferrari was saying no to electric engines because they said their customers wanted gasoline powered vehicles. Before you know it they are using hybrid systems.

I'm tired about hearing about the quality of the interior on a Porsche or Ferrari. At the prices they charge the interior better be an improvement!

The following 2 users liked this post by jma242:
ArmchairArchitect (09-18-2018), JerriVette (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
Sure......just like Rolex is worried about what Seiko does.
They should be, the Grand Seiko line not only competes directly with Rolex but many actually prefer them. I'm an Omega guy myself.

Last edited by jma242; 09-17-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

You cab never build yourself up by tearing someone else down..!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Wanna bet the exotics up their game...watch as they have already begun to up their highest performance models...

the corvette has always been a thorn in their sides...

to think otherwise is naive.

Really?......You think the exotics are worried about losing sales to a Chevy?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tolnep
t

italian exotics are probably purchased more for their exclusivity than anything else. of course most are gorgeous but corvettes approach and exceed some of their performance metrics.

you pay for performance, you pay a hell of a lot more for exclusivity and often you dont a lot more performance along with that exclusivity.
Bingo..........People wanting exclusivity arent going to buy a Chevrolet that Any Joe Lunchbucket can stretch to make the payments on.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

the exotics like ferrari are not worried about losing sales to corvettes..

just corvettes higher or even equal performance (such as the c7 grand sport equaling the mclaren 570 on the race track not to mention the zr1 or z06) does tarnish the various exotics percieved image...and over time that is a concern for exotic brands...as most exotic car buyers or wanna be buyers i should say are just the guy version of chicks buying or craving Gucci bags.,,

brand equity is basically what exotics are dealing in....anytime a corvette equals, exceeds or even comes close to the ultra exotics from ferrari or lamborghini...its a sh t storm in the board rooms of exotic car companies...

not for unit sales lost that particular year...but over time the dimished brand equity becomes a problem....and once it occurs its tough to win back...

Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

the exotics like ferrari are not worried about losing sales to corvettes..
not for unit sales lost that particular year...but over time the dimished brand equity becomes a problem....and once it occurs its tough to win back...
So which one of these Italian brands has it happened to in the last 50 years? None. Ferrari & Lamborghini (which is only 55 years old) are stronger than ever, which is also true of Maserati, although Maserati never really made anything higher in performance than a GT type car. No one would seriously consider Alfa, Fiat or Lancia the purveyors of exotic cars.
Even expanding beyond Italy, I don't see Bugatti, Koenigsegg or the Ford GT suffering because of any Corvette, ever.
Also, keep in mind, I don't really consider cars like the R8, NSX, 570S, 911 (even GT2) to be exotics since they all can be had for under $200,000, which is at most only 40% more than a typically equipped ZR1.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

No. The vast majority of those who buy Ferraris, Lambos, etc. do so simply because they are Ferraris, Lambos, etc. They are making a statement. Corvette will never change that. Never.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black18Z06:
Mike Campbell (09-18-2018), sunsalem (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Absolutely true. People that buy these type of cars do it for the "panache" and that will hold true. But the question is, will they buy a mid-engine Corvette to add to their stable if it performs great, looks great and it's only "chump" change to them and they can use it as their "beater"? I would answer this as a guess, yep some will!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
So which one of these Italian brands has it happened to in the last 50 years? None. Ferrari & Lamborghini (which is only 55 years old) are stronger than ever, which is also true of Maserati, although Maserati never really made anything higher in performance than a GT type car. No one would seriously consider Alfa, Fiat or Lancia the purveyors of exotic cars.
Even expanding beyond Italy, I don't see Bugatti, Koenigsegg or the Ford GT suffering because of any Corvette, ever.
Also, keep in mind, I don't really consider cars like the R8, NSX, 570S, 911 (even GT2) to be exotics since they all can be had for under $200,000, which is at most only 40% more than a typically equipped ZR1.

ok we can go back and forth....whats the point. We can agree to disagree. I happen to think the audi R8 v10 is an exotic car, same for all the mclarens, im old enough to remember maserati as one of the three italian exotic car companies....if you get a chance look up the maserati Bora....it was a competitor for the muira when ferrari really only had the mid engine dino as a player in rear mid engine cars.

do i think any of the existing exotic car companies will be going out of business because of corvettes venture into rear mid engine cars? Of course not,,,they are all bankrolled by larger more pedestrian companies who saved them from extinction ...

today it sounds like they lead the way but not that far in the past these exotic car companies were on the ropes financially and plucked from a doomed future and shuttered doors by more pedestrian brands...

keep that in mind as your recoil with such distain of non exotic sports cars like corvettes..

brand equity was the discussion of why the corvette is a thorn in their side. Brand image is the reason and we can all be grateful as the exotic car companies are already beginning to up their cars performance as the corvette c8 appears to be testing on the “Ring”

although not considered an exotic by your standards in this discussion you can bet porsches new 992 running the “ring” behind and around totally undisguised near the slightly disguised corvette c8 is not by chance..

porsche works hard at accomplishing this and wants as much exposure as READY for production and first ahead of the c8 in any way possible....(even if we wont see them in US dealerships for quite some time....such as next year ..

this is friendly competition...even with the exotics..you do consider special..

the engineers of exotic car companies and german specialty companies truly respect and admire corvettes and what they can accomplish in personal situations and private conversations..

internet people like yourself ...well you make yourself and your thoughts well known.

Ive seen a lot of these exotic car owners in many areas in debt up to their ears...so busy trying to project their wealth they are swinging from one bill to the next with no actual net worth of any substance so please excuse me if im not quite as impressed with the allure ..

dont get me wrong ...I like the exotics and often congratulate owners in person ..but lets not get carried away with the supposed air of superiority ..

nice shooting the breeze...

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-18-2018 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Delusional if you believe the C8 is going to be a smashing hit I'm a realist

this car is going to be full of bugs probably throughout the entire generation

the C9 or the C 8.5 will be the car to have
WELL SAID and many buyers are going to be stuck with these first year turkeys.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I know mid-engine is the ne plus ultra of automobile layouts, but I guess Ferrari didn't get the memo.

Their new ultra exclusive 7 figure superhypermega car is out. It's a front engine V12.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ters-maranello

I'm astonished that they managed to sell out the entire 100 unit run given how much trouble the C8 is supposed to cause for Italy.

Maranello's recently revealed SUV (Purosangue) plans must be a panicked reaction to the rumored Corvette SUV. I'll bet Lamborghini is feverishly planning upgrades to the Urus too.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 09-18-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I know mid-engine is the ne plus ultra of automobile layouts, but I guess Ferrari didn't get the memo.

Their new ultra exclusive 7 figure superhypermega car is out. It's a front engine V12.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ters-maranello

I'm astonished that they managed to sell out the entire 100 unit run given how much trouble the C8 is supposed to cause for Italy.

Maranello's recently revealed SUV (Purosangue) plans must be a panicked reaction to the rumored Corvette SUV. I'll bet Lamborghini is feverishly planning upgrades to the Urus too.
It's a throwback/retro design, this isn't meant to be Ferrari's track record champion. Ferrari will continue to produce front engined (mainly GT) cars as they always have, but their top performers are always going to be the rear engined ME cars.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-19-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
So which one of these Italian brands has it happened to in the last 50 years? None. Ferrari & Lamborghini (which is only 55 years old) are stronger than ever, which is also true of Maserati, although Maserati never really made anything higher in performance than a GT type car.
Err, Maserati spend lots of time in Formula One--which is way above GT cars.
But that may have been far enough in the past that you don't remember.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:48 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.

So the way you sell Corvettes is to put a high revving V12 in the front !?!

I, personally, can go with the V12, but I think you'd have a hard time (HARD) selling it to GM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:49 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy
By Christopher Hurst

A mid-engine Corvette is on the horizon. What does this mean for the rest of the industry? If GM’s track record is anything to go by, it can be summed up in one word: trouble.

i hope that's NOT the eventual design!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:16 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

For the "general" Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari buyer I find it highly unlikely that more than just a couple of them would cross shop the 'common yank' Chevrolet Corvette even if the performance is on par or exceeds them. Truth be told those brands have a prestige and appeal associated with them as well as a different dealership experience than walking into the local Chevy shop. The Italians and other prestige boutique performance car manufactures are not overly concerned with a "Mid-Engined Corvette". It's fun to talk about it, I guess but just not factual.

Get notified of new replies

To Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy

Old 09-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
For the "general" Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari buyer I find it highly unlikely that more than just a couple of them would cross shop the 'common yank' Chevrolet Corvette even if the performance is on par or exceeds them. Truth be told those brands have a prestige and appeal associated with them as well as a different dealership experience than walking into the local Chevy shop. The Italians and other prestige boutique performance car manufactures are not overly concerned with a "Mid-Engined Corvette". It's fun to talk about it, I guess but just not factual.
Exactly.
Some people can't tell the difference between a product and a brand. Chevrolet and Corvette as a brand are never going to cause problems for any of the prestige Italian brands. The product itself is, at least to a point, far less important than how it's marketed and sold. There's way more to the purchase and ownership experience than how fast the car goes 'round a track.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
mre1974 (09-19-2018), sunsalem (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

ok we can go back and forth....whats the point. We can agree to disagree. I happen to think the audi R8 v10 is an exotic car, same for all the mclarens, im old enough to remember maserati as one of the three italian exotic car companies....if you get a chance look up the maserati Bora....it was a competitor for the muira when ferrari really only had the mid engine dino as a player in rear mid engine cars.
keep that in mind as your recoil with such distain of non exotic sports cars like corvettes..
although not considered an exotic by your standards in this discussion you can bet porsches new 992 running the “ring” behind and around totally undisguised near the slightly disguised corvette c8 is not by chance..
porsche works hard at accomplishing this and wants as much exposure as READY for production and first ahead of the c8 in any way possible....(even if we wont see them in US dealerships for quite some time....such as next year ..
internet people like yourself ...well you make yourself and your thoughts well known.
I think your opinion of me is wrong - I am a huge Corvette fan and have owned every generation except C1, and have bought new at least two of each of the last 4 generations - C4's, C5's, C6's & C7's. But I will never consider the Corvette as a competitor to any car model that costs 4x or more what as base Corvette does, just like no sane person thinks Lincoln or Cadillac competes with Bentley, Maybach, Aston Martin or Rolls Royce in the luxury car world. But, the Porsche 911 is a direct Corvette competitor, and much like the Corvette doesn't compete with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti or the Ford GT.

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Err, Maserati spend lots of time in Formula One--which is way above GT cars. But that may have been far enough in the past that you don't remember.
I was talking about GT cars as in Grand Touring - you know front engine, rwd 2 door, usually 2 seat, high performance cars - like the Corvette, Aston Martin DB11, Mercedes AMG GT, Jaguar F-Type, 911, Maserati GT, etc. designed for the joy of high performance driving on mostly public roads. Nothing about racing

Last edited by LIStingray; 09-19-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Couple years ago, at a friend of a friends, this guy had a myriad of high performance cars in his garage; 720 Mclaren, mclaren f1, bugatti veyron, ferrari f12 berlinetta, and others.

When we were talking about my C7Z he specifically mentioned the Z06 was simply the best bang for the buck out there and a lot of his friends picked one up because of it.

Sure, it's not going to sway a high dollar buyer who can afford to stick anything in their garage, but for someone in my shoes where it's one or the other, it will. I could afford to stick a 488 or a lambo in my garage, I seriously look at the (go fast) vette. It's smiles for dollar value is seriously hard to beat.

The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (09-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy