Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bluman
Ridiculous comment, I love Corvettes's but I would never compare it to a Ferrari, just sit in one and you would see the difference !
i have.....imo way way overpriced for that difference. better leather ....certainly not instrumentation/electronics
they DO design beautiful cars(which other manufacturers copy). In the end you are really paying for the exclusivity and panache of owning a FERRARI . there are certainly faster, better made, and more technologically advanced cars out there than Ferrari.

i was hoping the c8 ME would be a design tour de force, but evidently not. maybe they'll just go the 911 route of
minor cosmetic design and focus on engineering.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:53 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
the Porsche 911 is a direct Corvette competitor
I always read that on this forum.
In my mind, I don't see a lot of similarities between the 2 cars.

However, it's strange...I never seem to meet guys who cross-shop.

Originally Posted by OVR60
WELL SAID and many buyers are going to be stuck with these first year turkeys.
LOL, I might be willing to take some of those "turkeys" off unhappy owners...

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
i was hoping the c8 ME would be a design tour de force, but evidently not. maybe they'll just go the 911 route of
minor cosmetic design and focus on engineering.
Maybe that's not a bad thing?

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-19-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I was talking about GT cars as in Grand Touring - you know front engine, rwd 2 door, usually 2 seat, high performance cars - like the Corvette, Aston Martin DB11, Mercedes AMG GT, Jaguar F-Type, 911, Maserati GT, etc. designed for the joy of high performance driving on mostly public roads. Nothing about racing
So the Bora, Mangusta, and Merek were GT cars in your opinion?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:15 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
So the Bora, Mangusta, and Merek were GT cars in your opinion?
The Merek, although rear mid-engine was, much like the beloved 911, a 2+2, so it is also GT car.
The Bora was last built in 1978 (40 years), while I was early in grammar school education, and other than the 50 MC12 built in 2004 (for racing homologation purposes) Maserati hasn't made a mid-engine 2 seat sports car since. Maserati is neither exclusive by virtue of price (none of its cars are more than $200k), nor has build any production vehicle that is not a GT, sedan or SVU since the 1970's
The Mangusta was built by the long defunct DeTomaso car company in 1971, so DeTomasso is irrelevant for the discussion,
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
For the "general" Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari buyer I find it highly unlikely that more than just a couple of them would cross shop the 'common yank' Chevrolet Corvette even if the performance is on par or exceeds them. Truth be told those brands have a prestige and appeal associated with them as well as a different dealership experience than walking into the local Chevy shop. The Italians and other prestige boutique performance car manufactures are not overly concerned with a "Mid-Engined Corvette". It's fun to talk about it, I guess but just not factual.
A Ferrari or Lambo owner may not cross shop a Corvette but you'll be surprised that some do. Most probably they will co-shop (is that even a word?? lol) a Corvette. Same thing can be mostly said about a Porsche. Corvette's and Porsche's are more mass produced and generally not exotic cars but have exotic tendencies.
The following users liked this post:
zcobra1 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:49 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

If we are going to compare the ME vette to a Porsche, the real comparison should be to the Cayman, the ME car from Porsche. Pretty sure the ME Vette will smoke the Cayman speed and power wise.
sunsalem (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The Merek, although rear mid-engine was, much like the beloved 911, a 2+2, so it is also GT car.
The Bora was last built in 1978 (40 years), while I was early in grammar school education, and other than the 50 MC12 built in 2004 (for racing homologation purposes) Maserati hasn't made a mid-engine 2 seat sports car since. Maserati is neither exclusive by virtue of price (none of its cars are more than $200k), nor has build any production vehicle that is not a GT, sedan or SVU since the 1970's
The Mangusta was built by the long defunct DeTomaso car company in 1971, so DeTomasso is irrelevant for the discussion,
i understand that you were in grammar school while i was in college. Im suggesting that at the time the maserati bora was a supercar fighting it out with the lamborghinis and ferraris of the day on equal or near equal footing.

here is an interesting read ..https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Bora

the mangusta and then the pantera were ford powered and not really considered comoetition based off the europeans distain for american powerplants etc..

maserati was an exotic car that lost its brand image so much so that even car enthusiasts such as yourself werent even aware they were an exotic brand much like lamborghini and ferrari.

thats the danger of exotic car manufacturers not upping their game as sports cars like the corvette out perform them..

take it for what its worth...the brand image of exotics do require for the most oart superior performance to remain a desired brand...

the c8 will force ferrari, lam,borghini and others to up their game to protect their brand image.

its not unit sales that they are defending against the c8 but rather the exotic cars relevance and brand image.

jmo and always fun to shoot the breeze
PurpleLion (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:02 AM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

You can bet some Ferrari and Lamborghini buyers will stop at the Chevy dealer and pick one up for daily/semi daily driving, and more risky places to leave a car, and save their exotics for weekends and special occasions. Most Buyers of new exotics avoid putting miles on them. Plenty of them have bought 911TT, Vettes, GT350's, etc. for that use, so a lower end ME Vette seems like a hot seller for that buyer.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:06 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

[

Originally Posted by zcobra1
You can bet some Ferrari and Lamborghini buyers will stop at the Chevy dealer and pick one up for daily/semi daily driving, and more risky places to leave a car, and save their exotics for weekends and special occasions. Most Buyers of new exotics avoid putting miles on them. Plenty of them have bought 911TT, Vettes, GT350's, etc. for that use, so a lower end ME Vette seems like a hot seller for that buyer.
Exotic buyers tend to have a number of different sets of wheels for different situations.
There isn't a particular reason for favoring a C8 for someone with a Lambo or Ferrari ME.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:50 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Maserati made its bones with the "birdcage"!

And racing in Formula 1 from the 30s thru the 60s.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 09-20-2018 at 09:25 AM.
rsvette12 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 AM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sunsalem
[

Exotic buyers tend to have a number of different sets of wheels for different situations.
There isn't a particular reason for favoring a C8 for someone with a Lambo or Ferrari ME.
Short post to miss the part that I stated many have bought different wheels, 911TT, GT350, etc. This is from owners of exotics that I know, including myself. Talk in my Ferrari circles to get a ME for running around. Be surprised how many F-car owners have a C5-C7 to "run around in", why would SOME of them not entertain a C8 ME then ? Suv's and trucks, sedans not part of convo...
Old 09-20-2018, 12:33 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I get the feeling something was lost in translation here.

Anyway, I would think an exotic car owner looking for something to "run around in" would opt for a F-Type Jag rather than a Vette, but whatever.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Got it, both sayin similar things, different ways. The C7 was high on the list for exotics buyers when it came out, as was the C6, etc. Now there is a lot of chatter about getting a C8 ME, new hot car, with warranty, they can rack up miles and tracking without much worry over maintenance/ depreciation., as compared to their low mileage exotics.
I think that this time around even more will want a ME than the other choices, Jag/911/ etc. Just my opinion, we will see...
Old 09-20-2018, 04:00 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Anyway, I would think an exotic car owner looking for something to "run around in" would opt for a F-Type Jag rather than a Vette, but whatever.
Not everyone is the same/has the same tastes and preferences, or wants to be like everyone else.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-20-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:23 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

What are you talking about??? Your assumptions are way off!! Believe me there are a lot of Exotic buyers that also love and buy a semi-exotic Corvette and NOT just to "run around in" like it's a Civic! And if GM does produce a limited edition exotic C8 believe me a lot of them will be all over it not just as a second or third car but possibly a replacement for an existing exotic.

And FYI, I really like the F-Type but the Corvette is nicer looking and has a nicer interior imo.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 09-20-2018 at 07:24 PM.
zcobra1 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 06:14 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
What are you talking about??? Your assumptions are way off!! Believe me there are a lot of Exotic buyers that also love and buy a semi-exotic Corvette and NOT just to "run around in" like it's a Civic! And if GM does produce a limited edition exotic C8 believe me a lot of them will be all over it not just as a second or third car but possibly a replacement for an existing exotic.

And FYI, I really like the F-Type but the Corvette is nicer looking and has a nicer interior imo.
I agree. I am in the group you are talking about, I will never spend the money on a new Ferrari, I have a used one, and I can see me and some other current owners of 360/430 selling the F-car to help or fully finance a Vette ME,
why not ? While my 360 F-car is special, it is not a 458, and frankly that may be my next car. Once the craze dies down, and the ME prices are reasonable, who knows....
Many have bought used Ferrari's, and after getting hit by big repair and maintenance bills, they sell them and are disallusioned with exotics...a few I know went through this, spent a lot of coin on their 360, got tired of the costs, and bought a C7, warranty, cheap maintenance, etc. This ME could be a game changer for those types, including me....
Will a 488 buyer not buy a Ferrari because of this ME, don't know, but I do know there are a lot of under $100K used exotic buyers that will consider the ME...

I take my 360 to Trader Joe's, etc. so I do run around with it, and overnight park at Hotels, travel in it, etc. So some do run errands in exotics and will do in a ME if I have one. I also track my cars, so that also, from grocery getter to track time.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:17 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

I am enjoying most of these C7/C8/ Ferrari etc discussions, but, one cannot, or perhaps should not, expend all this energy unproductively arguing with people they’ve never met as to which particular car is better or more exotic. Every car at this level stands on its own. Putting aside bragging rights and ego issues and people who quite simply lay down $500K on any car without even batting an eye, a car of this caliber either talks to one’s heart or to one’s soul and perhaps in some instances to one’s intellect or analytical side. In a few instances, there are unique cars that can bring about simultaneous heart and soul emotions in some people.

When strolling around a Concours event, one does not waste time or boorishly annoy others by talking about which is best. Instead one appropriately spends time admiring and discerning the unique qualities of each vehicle.

For me personally, many Corvettes talk to my heart. Same for DB9s and some older European standards like some Alfa Romeos. A Ford GT talks to my engineering brain. No emotion there. Same for a Tesla. Admiration but zero emotion. But some Ferrari’s do communicate deeply to my soul the second I take a seat and crank it up. Similarly, a friend’s Lambo Countach, which I first heard idling on the street 14 floors below my Newport Beach office back in 1976, reached deep inside my soul. Can’t say specifically why these cars impact me the way they do and I have no desire to debate such feelings except perhaps with a close friend.

My 930 Turbo spoke to my heart a little bit, but more to my inner child. Right now we can comfortably afford a new C7 ZO6 or a used Ferrari or some new 911’s. Everything tells me that a ZO6 is the exact car that I really want right now. A C7 GS would probably be a smarter purchase, but my heart kinda sings and my inner child giggles a little every time I start a ZO6 up and punch it even a little.

The C8 ME will undoubtedly be a great competitor but we like to do long multi day road trips on routes that hopefully include hills and switchbacks and stretches where 150+ is safely attainable. Since we like golf and sometimes take our cat or small dog with us, the C8, as great as it will likely be, simply doesn’t suit that mission. Those are simply issues of practicality.

And, if I may, I would only add that Ferrari engineers and managers do not remotely lose sleep over the new C8. Likewise, GM doesn’t allow the latest Enzo to appear on their threat radar. Neither is a threat to the other. Entirely different beasts.

Last edited by B747VET; 09-29-2018 at 03:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by B747VET:
ByByBMW (09-29-2018), corvette312 (09-30-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy

Old 09-29-2018, 04:30 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Ferrari has still been able to sell front midship platforms, why would rear midship be any different?
​​​

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-29-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:57 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

I love American V8s.....but, if I won say, $400 million after taxes my first lottery car would be the latest Porsche 911 Turbo.

The Corvette would not even be on my radar.
Spades11 (10-01-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 11:24 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patriot10
I love American V8s.....but, if I won say, $400 million after taxes my first lottery car would be the latest Porsche 911 Turbo.

The Corvette would not even be on my radar.
You're waiting to win $400 Mil to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo? Perhaps you were talking about buying an entire Porsche Dealership??? LOL......if you're that hard up for a 911 Turbo, you can buy a very lightly used one for the same price as a new ZR1.

FYI, if I'd won a $1 or a Trillion dollars a Porsche would not be on my radar. There's a lot of real exotic cars out there that are much sexier and not so vastly overpriced!! The other day I saw a Z06 and a 911 Turbo parked side by side and to me the Z06 was much more attractive! But looks are objective.
ArmchairArchitect (10-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy