Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Ridiculous comment, I love Corvettes's but I would never compare it to a Ferrari, just sit in one and you would see the difference !

Last edited by bluman; 09-14-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
It is nearly a complete fallacy to compare a $400K car with a $65K car, buyers simply do not cross shop stuff this far apart.
No matter how many times this is pointed out, the subject still comes up.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:03 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by bluman
Ridiculous comment, I love Corvettes's but I would never compare it to a Ferrari, just sit in one and you would see the difference !
& Just drive one and you will be converted, their is a reason all the magazines give them raving reviews, incredible machines.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-15-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:25 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Did I say anything in regards to cross shopping?
No I'm talking from a performance standpoint. And yes i have driven most mentioned.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

this is a kind to saying patek phillipe is quaking in their boots because the new gsock digital watch does at least as much if not more for .. say 500 to 1000 than a patek phillipe 100,000$ watch does.

corvette is a more or less mass produced american sportscar that the middle class can afford.

italian exotics are probably purchased more for their exclusivity than anything else. of course most are gorgeous but corvettes approach and exceed some of their performance metrics.

you pay for performance, you pay a hell of a lot more for exclusivity and often you dont a lot more performance along with that exclusivity.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by tolnep
this is a kind to saying patek phillipe is quaking in their boots because the new gsock digital watch does at least as much if not more for .. say 500 to 1000 than a patek phillipe 100,000$ watch does.

corvette is a more or less mass produced american sportscar that the middle class can afford.

italian exotics are probably purchased more for their exclusivity than anything else. of course most are gorgeous but corvettes approach and exceed some of their performance metrics.

you pay for performance, you pay a hell of a lot more for exclusivity and often you dont a lot more performance along with that exclusivity.
Yep well said, bottom line is it's still going to be a Chevrolet.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a C6 Z06 and then a C6 ZR1 (ZR1 for 10 years - sorry I sold it). I also own 2 Ferrari’s and a McLaren. On any objective measure the ZR1 is a better car than either Ferrari (better performance, less expensive, better for a long trip). The Ferraris offer a better visceral experience in my opinion that the Corvette can’t match (yes, for some ferrari is like a Chanel purse, all about brand, but not for me). Now the McLaren, that beats the ZR1 on everything, including driving experience and comfort, except price. FWIW.

Last edited by howl; 09-15-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

I highly doubt anyone in Italy(or Germany) is worried about the c8. Will they pay attention to the car, of course they will like they would with any new sports car released. That is how they improve on their own brands and that is how Chevy and the other American manufactures improve on their own brands. When I bought my Lambo last year I didn't cross shop it with a C7 ZO6 or think about putting a deposit on a ZR1, I looked a the Turbo S, 488, 650s and 570s. And I don't know if a single person who buys an exotic car cross shops them against a Corvette, when I bought my C7 earlier this year I looked at a Carerra and M4. For some reason people think that performance is the only thing exotic car buyers look at, and that is far from it. If that where the case everyone would drive a Porsche and no one would buy a Ferrari. That's not to say exotic car buyers don't like to have the performance but it's not something that is usually a deciding factor in the purchase.

Even if some version of the c8 ends up being faster than some of the exotics then Euro companies will just come out with something else, that's the way the cycle is, and always has been. Take Lambo for example, most people don't realize how easy it would be for them to blow away the competition in speed, their cars are all still naturally aspirated. A small turbo or supercharger setup would make them insanely fast. Ferrari just decided to go with turbo's with the 488, the 812 is naturally aspirated, The GT3, still naturally aspirated. So if any of them wanted to go faster, they could easily solve that problem. People buy exotics for the driving experience. Some probably for the "look at me" factor too but overall it's about the experience.

Last edited by blb078; 09-15-2018 at 10:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
427muscle (10-12-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:14 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Italy is laughing at this goofy as hell post. U must be a comedian for a living. Its gonna be a 60k Corvette nothing more.
Its like comparing a Stealth fighter to a toy drone. Too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
i agree with this guy
Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I chuckled as we watched the video of the camouflaged c8 at the ring and porsche had its new 992 911 for all to see...

its not the italians but rather the germans who have the most to lose...

the italians are so ridiculously priced...its about how much the people spend tjat matters most...not the car itself..

the porsche 911 is the car with the kost challenge.

the germans being a proud nation put the unvieled 992 right on the track with the c8 to show its wares to the public in its ful glory.

i prefer corvettes yet i applaud the porsche brand bravado in this instance especially..

got to love the competition..

ferrari owners will buy the c8 as a daily..a d as a track car
Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Soooooo much exaggeration going on here it's funny! I mean saying a Corvette is a Gshock watch LMAO!! Or it's just a Chevy! It's basically a GM car that's sold under the Chevrolet name. And so what if it's just a Chevy!! Some still say a Porsche is just VW or the NSX is just an Acura or the GT is just a Ford. And didn't Lamborghini start out as a tractor company?? It's like a Bugatti owner looking down on a Ferrari owner....does that make the Ferrari less special or desirable? Anyways, people who can own true exotics usually buy non exotics like Porsche's and Corvette's as well if they are a fan of the car. Just look at how many on this Forum own both.

I love exotics too but I don't need to **** on the Corvette and put it down just to bring up the exotics!

Since in life so much of reality is really perception to most of the impressionable society, maybe GM should build a very limited number of it and sell them for $300K and then all the sudden the same people will be riding its d*ck (metaphorically).
ArmchairArchitect (09-18-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 11:19 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

My girls say im high maintaince.....my sports cars dont have to be.(kidding)

buy what you like.

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-15-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:00 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
So many ignorant remarks or just haters! Relax, the car is not out yet! We don't even know what it will costs! And so what if the car may have some issues in its first couple of years! The ones who want one will get one a soon as they're able to like Pietro7 said.

And why are some are you on here if all you want to do is **** on the Corvette?? Asking for improvements is normal but always sh!tting on the car is not! Don't you have other things to do in life??? Also, just because a Corvette doesn't costs $300K doesn't mean it's not very, very desirable and in the dreams of probably just as many people as a Ferrari, Lambo, etc. When I was a kid I had my walls covered with Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche (don't like them anymore) AND CORVETTE'S posters. I dreamt about owning one just as much as I dreamt of owning a Ferrari and didn't think even as a kid that hey the Corvette is not as expensive so I shouldn't desire it as much! Chill with the constant Corvette bashing!!

Well said. This site is full of snobbish GM bashers. Nothing make ya look baller like talking **** about GM.

They want you to believe that they drive Porsches and Land Rovers
The following 2 users liked this post by need-for-speed:
ArmchairArchitect (09-18-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:43 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Is Ferrari scared of GM? No. Ferrari knows for a fact that they don't even operate in the same sphere as GM. They would kill for those truck/ SUV profits and parts/ service that they will never have. One is a boutique brand, the other is a top 3 on the planet in regards to every aspect that an automotive business judges themselves by.
You do realize Ferrari has the highest profit margin of any car maker that sells more than 100 cars per year at $81,000 average profit per vehicle sold - GM is at $840 worldwide and $2,700 in the US.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You do realize Ferrari has the highest profit margin of any car maker that sells more than 100 cars per year at $81,000 average profit per vehicle sold - GM is at $840 worldwide and $2,700 in the US.
Profit per individual vehicle? Sure. That doesn't even remotely include development costs nor the decades of income from maintenance over the cars lifetime. That's where GM dominates. That's why they sell the local rental fleet cars at nearly cost as it amortizes their development costs and brings in years of parts and service business. Consider this, GM (likely) makes more money selling 20 rental grocery getters at cost, then Ferrari makes selling one unit over the vehicles lifetimes.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Soooooo much exaggeration going on here it's funny! I mean saying a Corvette is a Gshock watch LMAO!! Or it's just a Chevy! It's basically a GM car that's sold under the Chevrolet name. And so what if it's just a Chevy!! Some still say a Porsche is just VW or the NSX is just an Acura or the GT is just a Ford. And didn't Lamborghini start out as a tractor company?? It's like a Bugatti owner looking down on a Ferrari owner....does that make the Ferrari less special or desirable? Anyways, people who can own true exotics usually buy non exotics like Porsche's and Corvette's as well if they are a fan of the car. Just look at how many on this Forum own both.

I love exotics too but I don't need to **** on the Corvette and put it down just to bring up the exotics!

Since in life so much of reality is really perception to most of the impressionable society, maybe GM should build a very limited number of it and sell them for $300K and then all the sudden the same people will be riding its d*ck (metaphorically).
Forget it, Dave.
Some people just like to watch the world burn...

Old 09-17-2018, 02:47 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
As the saying goes, "Exotic cars are like strippers. Great to look at, but the maintenance costs ..."

Last edited by jma242; 09-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy

Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Trust me... Ferrari is NOT quaking in its boots over the C8
Totally agree......
Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnsrx7
Honda/acura put them on notice with the original NSX, GM is going to put them over the edge.
Sure......just like Rolex is worried about what Seiko does.
JerryU (11-24-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Wanna bet the exotics up their game...watch as they have already begun to up their highest performance models...

the corvette has always been a thorn in their sides...

to think otherwise is naive.

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-17-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy