Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All but confirmed....DCT it is!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 AM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMB
I spoke to a Tremic Rep at their Headquarters requesting additional information on the TR9007/TR7007 because I would like to perform a retrofit with it and wanted to know availability/pricing/etc and was told that this will be an OEM Trans ONLY and that one of the major US Manufacturers will be announcing shortly that their vehicle will be using this Transmission! Of course it could be any of the Big 3 but I know where I have my money lol!

When I pressed him as to would they be offering an "Aftermarket" version of this trans similar to the way they offer the T56, etc. the answer was big fat NO! When I pressed for details here's what I got...…the data bus required to operate this trans carries to much data for existing BCM's to handle so they won't be offering it. Of course this sounds as lame as someone saying that since there is no harness available for a current production engine so we can't sell one....duh....that's what the aftermarket is for. Guess we'll just have to wait and see!
Great post! Thank You. I know it’s probably to much to wish for, but a “10 speed” DCT would be fantastic!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
.....The Mclaren 720S has 710 HP & 568 torque so does the Ferrari 488 Pista and both have DCT. Remember the new dual overhead cam high rev motors powering the faster version of the ME (Zora,Z,ZR1) could have lower torque than the C7 ZR1.
In an evenly matched race, with Racecar A touting more torque at lower RPMs and Racecar B possessing more high RPM horsepower, who would win? Racecar A will be quicker to accelerate off the line and might look as if it has the lead at the beginning. But once Racecar A shifts into second gear, it will lose its acceleratory bump. By the time Racecar A shifts into third gear, high-horsepower Racecar B will be the new leader....
I agree. Based on what we know thus far....it's plausible at least one or more versions of ME could be DOHC V8 4.2L TT with flat plane crank similar to Mclaren, ferrari, etc and spinning 8K plus while staying within specs of current Tremec DCT. OHC V8 (speculated) used in base model stays within Tremec specs as well.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:48 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Yep 99.9% it’s a DCT, packaging would not fit automatic trans in the new ME setup.

Everything We Know About the Mid-Engine C8 Corvette’s Dual-Clutch Transmission
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ev...h-transmission
Our suspicion is that General Motors will not follow our suggestion to Save the Manuals due to the cost and complexity of offering two transmissions. In other words, Tremec’s TR-9007 seven-speed DCT will be the one and only transmission available when the 2019 Corvette arrives in less than two years.

Is this supposed to make their "opinion" credible?

Last edited by themonk; 09-19-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

That C&D piece is from 2016.

More recently, in May this year they changed their opinion:

Oh, did we not mention the transaxle? (Note that we used the singular form of the word.) There will be only one gearbox, and it won’t come with a clutch pedal. Chevy has been working with Tremec on a new eight-speed dual-clutch automatic unit. The driver’s involvement in shifting gears will begin and end with the steering-wheel-adjacent shift paddles.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...is-nearly-here
Old 09-19-2018, 03:23 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

In looking over the specs, the TR-9007DCT is 198 lbs dry and the TR-6070 used in the current C7 is 143 lb wet - so it looks like the C8 will not be a lightweight, although it is a little lighter than the current 8 speed auto (210 lbs).
Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by entologix
Great post! Thank You. I know it’s probably to much to wish for, but a “10 speed” DCT would be fantastic!
I bet it's an 8. Well, that's one more than my 7-speed manual. And one more has to be one better!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 PM
JMLS
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

doesnt sound like a DCT in the vids
Old 09-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLS
doesnt sound like a DCT in the vids
I've listened carefully to every video that has come out this year and in every case the shifting sounds exactly like a DCT.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bikerjulio:
91ZR1 (09-19-2018), thebishman (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:13 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

I have two cars currently with DCT. The videos all sound like my DCTs. Every last video sounds just like a DCT. It is in there no doubt.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:57 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,618 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Comouters ability to control torque in lower gears allows for greater use of transmissions...plus with enough interest the suppkier can increase transmission capability..

still think the manual transmission should be standard for the dieharts..

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Not necessarily..... GM uses the Tremec TR6070 that is rated at 635 lb-ft in the Z06 that has 650 lb-ft and in the ZR1 that has 715 lb-ft of torque.
As JerriVette stated, power can be controlled by the computer just like they limit the ZR1 power in 1st gear so they can use the same 1st gear ratio as the Z06! Heck it has the same tires as my Grand Sport and I can light those up!

On JerriVette's other comment, the more I think about my idea of using a Ferrari type gate and sensors to shift the DCT when you want - it would appear easy to do. Flip a switch and it's "stir your own gears," whichever you want when. May not be as quick as fully auto but who cares! Quick enough. Don't need no "sticking mechanical link to the back" wires are fine!

Even could have a 3rd pedal if nothing else for take off. When I look at the computer logic algorithms used for take-off on DCTs my foot knows better. Perhaps faster movement makes the clutch engage faster etc. Whatever it does now by computer control can be simulated and controlled to some degree with your foot and hall sensor or switch.

Just Sayn'

Last edited by JerryU; 09-19-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply: All but confirmed....DCT it is!