Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and C7 in a pic together

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Indeed. C7 looks like yesterday's news.

If so, then yesterday was a better news day than today. The first pic is not a great angle or focal length for either car, but the ME looks like a mid-70's misfire. In the second pic, the C7 looks stunning and the ME reveals the potential that will no doubt evolve into a spectacular car.

There's no reason to bash the C7 or make ignorant comments about it. But aside from the C2, it's the best looking Corvette and certainly the best performing one to date. It's a beautiful world class performance car and is hardly "yesterday's news."

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-19-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Personal reference to another member deleted.
The following 6 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
BMadden (09-21-2018), dcbingaman (09-21-2018), IronV (09-19-2018), JimNeedsC7 (09-23-2018), NineVettes (09-18-2018), PurpleLion (09-18-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
If so, then yesterday was a better news day than today. The first pic is not a great angle or focal length for either car, but the ME looks like a mid-70's misfire. In the second pic, the C7 looks stunning and the ME reveals the potential that will no doubt evolve into a spectacular car.

There's no reason to bash the C7 or make ignorant comments about it. I expect that from bitter, angry old ***** like the JoesC5, but aside from the C2, it's the best looking Corvette and certainly the best performing one to date. It's a beautiful world class performance car and is hardly "yesterday's news."

My intent isn't to belittle the C7. I own one, and enjoy it quite it a bit, and in fact plan to have it for many more years.. My point is the ME is the next step forward. A needed next step which will be "news" in the Corvette lineage.

And it's a good step.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:47 PM
FinsterforstFan
Racer

Received 441 Likes on 201 Posts

I can certainly see where the chunky comments come from. It may just be the telephoto nature of the shot, but the C8 definitely looks to have what I think is a chunky front end in the first picture, compared to the C7. The rest of the car looks ok to me, from a “chunky” perspective.

Hopefully it is just the camera/lens giving that look, along with the camo.

The second picture looks better.

Im still holding out hope that it will look good, once it’s fully revealed without camo.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:51 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

The C8 is not bigger than the C7 in any dimension, and is likely wider and lower.
Width is a dimension...
Old 09-19-2018, 12:01 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Width is a dimension...
I'll rephrase:

The C8 is not "more bulky" than the C7 in any dimension, and is likely wider and lower.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:08 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
Step 1) Buy a C8
Step 2) Lower the C8 (GM and their 4x4 look, )
They have to keep them high. They don't want complaints of people rubbing the driveway pulling into their country club to golf.

But seriously, the ground clearance has been around 6 inches since 84. They have to keep it that way because too many people daily them. They don't want complaints of people having to think about pulling into the average driveway or going over speed bumps. Just the way it is.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Being able use theses c8 s in the real world without a hassle due to being too low makes sense...

i daily my corvettes and dont have time for nonsense ..ie car to low to go iver a speed bump with ease...

what many people comsider a 4x4 look really is quite low to the rest of us....

im mot a fan of owning stanced cars, or even corvettes that are slammed...might look cool but its not really a better performer...

Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
They have to keep them high. They don't want complaints of people rubbing the driveway pulling into their country club to golf.

But seriously, the ground clearance has been around 6 inches since 84. They have to keep it that way because too many people daily them. They don't want complaints of people having to think about pulling into the average driveway or going over speed bumps. Just the way it is.
An unfortunate truth. Does gm sell their own lowering kit? Seems like that would be a good performance part for them to offer.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Being able use theses c8 s in the real world without a hassle due to being too low makes sense...

i daily my corvettes and dont have time for nonsense ..ie car to low to go iver a speed bump with ease...

what many people comsider a 4x4 look really is quite low to the rest of us....

im mot a fan of owning stanced cars, or even corvettes that are slammed...might look cool but its not really a better performer...

True.
Originally Posted by K-TownMike
An unfortunate truth. Does gm sell their own lowering kit? Seems like that would be a good performance part for them to offer.
I don't believe so. Again, they spent a lot of R&D optimizing the car the way it is. Probably doesn't help at all anyway. The control arms and such are set to track at that angle. Even if you add in a good lowering kit you're changing how the geometries respond to the road and it may or may not improve anything. Just my observations.

My 84 feels lower than a C7 even though it isn't, but that is because the floor is bowled below the frame. You are sitting in the lowest point of the car in that. It also makes it a pain to get out of because you have to climb over the door sill. GM did away with this for that very reason. Even in that, I have battle scars. Door doesn't always clear curbs, oil pan hits on speed bumps and that is at stock ride height as set by measuring according to the FSM. But it's good 90% of the time.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 AM
dkssud3
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

beautiful picture
Old 09-21-2018, 10:22 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Indeed. C7 looks like yesterday's news.
Yeah, a great looking car that exists now is rendered useless by something in wrapping paper.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:26 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Yeah, a great looking car that exists now is rendered useless by something in wrapping paper.
No, a great looking car that exists now - and will continue to be fun for many more years - sees its spot in the development line/history of Corvette transcended by the next advance.

My C7 is about to become "yesterday's news" in the sense of the development of the Corvette line. It's a great rig and I'll be driving my C7 for many more years as I love it. I also have a C6, which is soon to become the day-before-yesterday's news (LOL), and I still the enjoy the heck out that.

Will be adding the ME and very much look forward to this next step in Corvette history. Gonna be fun.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:31 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default So much for chunky etc

Originally Posted by C7pimp
This picture is much closer to telling the story.

With a wide angle lens in the first picture by the OP and the cars further apart, it looks like the C8 has 24 inch rims if you don't account for perspective and lens distortion. However, it also shows that the height of the rear end is not taller than the C7. The rear has a slight downward slope from the top of the wheel well and back. The C7 continues upwards. The very far back end of the deck height is shorter than the C7, not taller.

From all the pictures we have seen I have concluded that:

The C8 is not bigger than the C7 in any dimension, and is likely wider and lower. The belt line with the camo looks slightly higher, most likely due to a shorter roof height and not from the distance to the ground. A member of the forum who actually had his lowered C6 next to a mule said the mule was as low if not lower than his dropped C6. The c8 has a much tighter waist, giving a perception of wide hips. It has deeper and more dramatic contouring that give it a real sense of sculpture even beyond the already beautiful C7.

So much for chunky, high, slab-like and blah. Some people be smoking some seriously potent crack.

"Deeper and more dramatic contouring... sculpture beyond the C7..."

Crack is not a hallucinogenic; those words were born of a bad LSD trip. But we do agree this picture tells the story very well.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

So is it official?

We have moved on from C6 owners talking sh*t on C7 styling...to C7 owners now talking sh*t on C8 styling.

The evolution of forum sh*t talking...one generation to another.

Last edited by blipit_; 09-21-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:46 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Show this to IronV:)

Originally Posted by TSanders
You need to tell this to IronV lol.

"Sculpted... pinched waist... "
Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV

"Sculpted... pinched waist... "
Looks like the camo is doing its job. Keeps fooling you...

Get notified of new replies

To C8 and C7 in a pic together

Old 09-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My intent isn't to belittle the C7. I own one, and enjoy it quite it a bit, and in fact plan to have it for many more years.. My point is the ME is the next step forward. A needed next step which will be "news" in the Corvette lineage.

And it's a good step.
Everyone has different standards.
For me, the C4-C5-C6 progression was indeed a step forward with each new generation. We like our C7 but see some aspects as a step sideways or even a step backwards- longer, wider, and heavier. Bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside. Smaller trunk. Less visibility. Annoying details like the two-finger door handles. Etc. I consider the C7 as the triumph of the stylists over the engineers, just like the Camaro. Hoping that the C8 reverses the trend, but not expecting it.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:35 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Svelte!!!

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred

Looks like the camo is doing its job. Keeps fooling you...
Sleek!!!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:20 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Everyone has different standards.
For me, the C4-C5-C6 progression was indeed a step forward with each new generation. We like our C7 but see some aspects as a step sideways or even a step backwards- longer, wider, and heavier. Bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside. Smaller trunk. Less visibility. Annoying details like the two-finger door handles. Etc. I consider the C7 as the triumph of the stylists over the engineers, just like the Camaro. Hoping that the C8 reverses the trend, but not expecting it.
Not sure how you don't think the C7 is a triumph of engineering given it outperforms any previous Corvette by a margin and also much of the competition within $75,000 of it's price. I don't see that as a triumph of stylists over engineers... especially when the car performs better, has better technology AND looks nice too.

Quick Reply: C8 and C7 in a pic together