Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy to do your own maintanance on a C8

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Default How easy to do your own maintanance on a C8

I hope that GM will let the user do his own oil changes. For example on my Mini the manual says it should be done by Mini dealer. They try to make it hard to do your own oil changes, for example
The manual won't even tell you how much oil is required for a change
Resetting the oil life indicator is a big secret you have to push several undocumented buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds, then getting to one service indicator to another is a different undocumented button, then when you get to the oil service lamp you have to hold another button for a period of time.
Getting the oil filter out is a pita, you have to remove the window washer fluid container, then use a multi-angled wrench to loosen the oil cap the squeeze out the cap which contains the filter. After that reverse the process.
Just an example, it seem that most auto manufacturers are supporting their dealer by making it almost impossible to do your oil maintenance.

Last edited by LawrenceFromTorrance; 09-19-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I don’t think anyone can answer. At least not from experience.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:19 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Mid-Engine cars are harder to work on, I have owned 6 of them. My AC compressor went bad on my Audi R8 and my engine had to be pulled out to fix a 700 dollar part. I have a video of an engine removal in an R8, it’s a lot of work & shows how difficult ME”s can be when major work is needed. Hopefully GM does a better job than Audi did when it comes to serviceability. The large rear lid when open looks to give us a lot of accessibility to the motor.

Engine Removal ME R8

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-20-2018 at 12:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

hopefully they won't charge what other ME sports car dealers do-charge a fortune for EVERYTHING!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:00 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
I hope that GM will let the user do his own oil changes. For example on my Mini the manual says it should be done by Mini dealer. They try to make it hard to do your own oil changes, for example
The manual won't even tell you how much oil is required for a change
Resetting the oil life indicator is a big secret you have to push several undocumented buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds, then getting to one service indicator to another is a different undocumented button, then when you get to the oil service lamp you have to hold another button for a period of time.
Getting the oil filter out is a pita, you have to remove the window washer fluid container, then use a multi-angled wrench to loosen the oil cap the squeeze out the cap which contains the filter. After that reverse the process.
Just an example, it seem that most auto manufacturers are supporting their dealer by making it almost impossible to do your oil maintenance.
Sounds like you're in need of a different car...

Old 09-20-2018, 07:19 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If it's anything like my F430 was once you get the aero panel removed that covers most of the bottom of the car, almost everything is accessible. The only thing I could see that might be a PITA is the serpentine belt change. On the F430 the drain plug and oil filter were an easy reach. Since the Corvette will be serviced by Chevy dealers, I'm going to assume (we know happens) that the engineers will attempt to make the general service items accessible.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

You can look to other ME cars for guidance.
1- 2005 NSX valve adjustment...lay on top of engine.
2- Ferrari 360...removal access panel behind seats
3- Other Italian...removeable inner fender liners
4- Gallados...9 or so engine oil drain plugs
5 - Other Ferrari..easily removable rear bumpers
6 - Testarossa..engine, rear suspension, trans, cradle lower out of the as a unit.
(easy, but need specialized tools, and adds extra 8 or so hours to each job)

It could very well be the design of ME means the mechanic must be
in good physical shape, with strength and flexibility.
Perhaps the reason for the OP question, can they DIY.

It is certainly possible that dropping the engine with cradle is a maintenance possibility.
No one knows for sure right now...I wouldn't worry.

That's my 2 cent comment
Old 09-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I am going to assume I can do everything, but some things might be more difficult.

I doubt GM will make it so difficult it won't be DIY friendly.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Mid-Engine cars are harder to work on, I have owned 6 of them. My AC compressor went bad on my Audi R8 and my engine had to be pulled out to fix a 700 dollar part. I have a video of an engine removal in an R8, it’s a lot of work & shows how difficult ME”s can be when major work is needed. Hopefully GM does a better job than Audi did when it comes to serviceability. The large rear lid when open looks to give us a lot of accessibility to

What is different between the R8 and a Gallardo? I personally replaced the A/C compressor in my Gallardo and you can do it without removing the engine.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:31 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I really hope they make an access panel from inside the cabin, so the engine and/or other components can be more easily accessed.

Part of the allure of Corvettes (and definitely factored into my decision to buy one) is that everything is pretty accessible to work on.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-20-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How easy to do your own maintanance on a C8

Quick Reply: How easy to do your own maintanance on a C8