Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cmon, give C8 Corvette enthusiasts a break!

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cmon, give C8 Corvette enthusiasts a break!

 
Old 09-25-2018, 05:26 PM
  #21  
MitchAlsup
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 2,879
Thanked 100 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lucative View Post
I can hear it now, is that a Ferrari? Yes, I believe it will look that good.
Since Ferrari dropped Pininfarina as their chief designer, their cars have not looked as good. 458 is beautiful, 488 not so much
MitchAlsup is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 05:31 PM
  #22  
brettlid
CF Member
 
brettlid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: California
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
Let's not confuse the question. Will there be a manual? Yes, undoubtedly, from day one. Will there be a stick and a clutch pedal? No, that day is gone. You will get paddle shifters and the car will run the clutch for you, no third pedal. The 911 GT3, M3, and M4 still have the old system available. Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Audi have all done away with it. It is simply slower than other options (even in racing) and most don't want it.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ions-are-dead/


merriam-webster
manual transmission

noun

Definition of manual transmission

: a system for changing gears that has to be operated by the driver


brettlid is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 06:33 PM
  #23  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,637
Thanks: 0
Thanked 188 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Well you won't have much to buy then, sticks are going the way of the Dodo.
Unfortunately they are way too complex and manly for the millennial generation.
NY09C6 is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:23 PM
  #24  
Corgidog1
CF Senior Member
 
Corgidog1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,393
Thanked 996 Times in 680 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
Let's not confuse the question. Will there be a manual? Yes, undoubtedly, from day one. Will there be a stick and a clutch pedal? No, that day is gone. You will get paddle shifters and the car will run the clutch for you, no third pedal. The 911 GT3, M3, and M4 still have the old system available. Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Audi have all done away with it. It is simply slower than other options (even in racing) and most don't want it.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ions-are-dead/
pushing a paddle shifter down with your finger sounds like a lot of fun and I hear the more you do it the better you get at it-becomes a learned reflex after awhile I am told....in fact old folks may have to move to a stick due to arthritic fingers.
Corgidog1 is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 PM
  #25  
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Posts: 588
Thanked 153 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by brettlid View Post


merriam-webster
manual transmission

noun

Definition of manual transmission

: a system for changing gears that has to be operated by the driver


Not sure I understand the point, with paddle shifters it still is operated by the driver.
Atari_Prime is offline  
Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 PM
  #26  
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 9,177
Thanked 1,318 Times in 999 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lucative View Post
C8 Corvette Pessimists,

When I first saw the C7 in leaked pictures I thought it was not attractive. When the real pictures came out, I thought it looked just OK. When I saw the real thing, I said OMG the Corvette team did a great job! I still don't really know of any pictures that does justice to how good the C7 looks. You just have to see it in person to really appreciate it.
Agreed.

I can hear it now, is that a Ferrari?
I get that NOW.
sunsalem is offline  
Old 09-28-2018, 05:46 PM
  #27  
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 9,177
Thanked 1,318 Times in 999 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
Not sure I understand the point, with paddle shifters it still is operated by the driver.
Agreed, I'm not getting it either.
In this day and age, a "manual transmission" should be redefined as a Manual Clutch.
sunsalem is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to sunsalem For This Useful Post:
PurpleLion (09-29-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 06:30 PM
  #28  
Jerseyvinny
CF Senior Member
 
Jerseyvinny's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Berkeley Heights New Jersey
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acroy View Post
Looking forward to the C8.
C7 never did it for me, too edgy, almost spastic. I hope they tone the edges down a bit and make it more burly/refined/elegant looking.
Iím with Acroy. The creases in the C7 seemed overdone to me. I couldnít help but feel it was more about appealing to a different demographic (read younger). I like smooth flowing lines not edges.
Jerseyvinny is offline  
Old 09-29-2018, 01:29 AM
  #29  
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
Unfortunately they are way too complex and manly for the millennial generation.
Interesting view.
Apocolipse is online now  
Old 09-29-2018, 03:32 PM
  #30  
stevebz06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,630
Thanked 115 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
Agreed, I'm not getting it either.
In this day and age, a "manual transmission" should be redefined as a Manual Clutch.
You're really comparing pulling on a lever to moving a gear selector in an H pattern shifter to being the same level of difficulty?
stevebz06 is offline  
Old 09-29-2018, 05:11 PM
  #31  
Laguna Fred
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Laguna Fred's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Chadds Ford PA
Posts: 4,340
Thanked 158 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stevebz06 View Post
You're really comparing pulling on a lever to moving a gear selector in an H pattern shifter to being the same level of difficulty?
I think you are spitting hairs here. One could even argue that in some ways the H-pattern is simpler because each ratio has a “spot,” while you have to hit the lever x times to get the right gear with paddles. Coordinating the clutch (and gas if you heel/toe) is the tough part.

Last edited by Laguna Fred; 09-29-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Laguna Fred is offline  
Old 09-29-2018, 05:48 PM
  #32  
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Do you all still prefer to fax things too?
Apocolipse is online now  
Old 09-29-2018, 07:54 PM
  #33  
stevebz06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,630
Thanked 115 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred View Post


I think you are spitting hairs here. One could even argue that in some ways the H-pattern is simpler because each ratio has a ďspot,Ē while you have to hit the lever x times to get the right gear with paddles. Coordinating the clutch (and gas if you heel/toe) is the tough part.
With the H pattern shifter, you have to declutch, move the gear lever to the correct gear, match rpm with the throttle and release the clutch, preferably smoothly. With most DCTs, you click a paddle and all those other things are done for you. H pattern gearbox mistakes can result in spins, blown engines, being in the wrong gear or no gear at all. I'm not challenging anybody's manhood or anything, but I don't see how you can possibly say that the workload is the same. I remember one famous race driver bemoaning the fact that the skill required for driving a car had been reduced somewhat, probably because he felt he was better at it.
stevebz06 is offline  
Old 09-29-2018, 08:12 PM
  #34  
stevebz06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,630
Thanked 115 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Apocolipse View Post
Do you all still prefer to fax things too?
Not usually, but when I was flying jets for a living, I would frequently fly it with the autopilot and autothrottles off because otherwise if the need to do this in a high pressure situation arose, you could end up dying and taking 200 odd something people with you if you hadn't practiced recently. Kind of like that Air France crew coming out of Brazil did one night.
stevebz06 is offline  
Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 PM
  #35  
f-16pilotTX
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Posts: 196
Thanked 153 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stevebz06 View Post
Not usually, but when I was flying jets for a living, I would frequently fly it with the autopilot and autothrottles off because otherwise if the need to do this in a high pressure situation arose, you could end up dying and taking 200 odd something people with you if you hadn't practiced recently. Kind of like that Air France crew coming out of Brazil did one night.
cant wait for auto pilot, this T6 is killing me! Lol
f-16pilotTX is offline  
Old 09-29-2018, 11:07 PM
  #36  
Zero_6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,212
Thanked 65 Times in 56 Posts
Default

If it resembles a Ferrari 458/488, I'm buying one.
Zero_6 is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 PM
  #37  
ProfessorDeath
CF Senior Member
 
ProfessorDeath's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 3,874
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Default

I'll wait to see it in person. Pictures never really do a vehicle justice. I suspect I'm going to like what I see, the major decision is going to come down to the price and performance. Most people in the market for a car costing $150k+ aren't considering a Chevrolet, myself included unless it truly is a 488/Huracan killer with the looks to match. If that's the case, $150k is a bargain. I don't suspect the ME Corvette/Zora/ZR-1, whatever it ends up being, will be either of those things. I hope I'm wrong.
ProfessorDeath is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 PM
  #38  
stevebz06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,630
Thanked 115 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX View Post


cant wait for auto pilot, this T6 is killing me! Lol
You fly a T-6? I love that plane! Most efficient aircraft in the world for converting Avgas into noise!
stevebz06 is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 09:55 PM
  #39  
f-16pilotTX
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Posts: 196
Thanked 153 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stevebz06 View Post
You fly a T-6? I love that plane! Most efficient aircraft in the world for converting Avgas into noise!
lol, yes! Over here in the great city of Columbus, Mississippi! The plane sure is loud, doesnít trim well, and uses a +20 year old gps. Besides that, itís great to fly! But I will be ready to say by to it in a couple of months. Up next will be a more noisy plane, the T38!
Did you fly the T6?
f-16pilotTX is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 10:19 PM
  #40  
stevebz06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,630
Thanked 115 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX View Post


lol, yes! Over here in the great city of Columbus, Mississippi! The plane sure is loud, doesnít trim well, and uses a +20 year old gps. Besides that, itís great to fly! But I will be ready to say by to it in a couple of months. Up next will be a more noisy plane, the T38!
Did you fly the T6?
Actually the SNJ. Not much difference.
stevebz06 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cmon, give C8 Corvette enthusiasts a break!


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: