Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lifeline to those who must have a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:39 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I could write a check for $70k tomorrow without worrying about my account balance. But $4k is still $4k. I'll always be a value shopper, it's just my nature. About $4k is probably what the upcharge for the DCT will be.

To be clear, I genuinely prefer the manual. However, if I had to pay the same as a DCT for a manual, when I KNOW the DCT is going to make for a faster car, I'd be really torn. I mean I don't like forced induction either but I wouldn't turn it down for free.
You have a point.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:21 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
The patent has nothing to do with the gear linkage. This is basically just clutch-by-wire. Similar to how they moved to throttle-by-wire back in the early 2000s.

So it'd still be a traditional three-pedal manual. But instead of hydraulics for the clutch release bearing, there'd be an electronic pedal and an actuator in the bell housing.

So it's possible they could have some sort of partially automated low speed crawl mode for stop and go traffic or parking lot maneuvers. Drop the car in first or second and then drive it like an automatic up to a certain speed. You could also have a clutch pedal that's as light as a little 4 cylinder econobox, but on the other end would be a heavy duty clutch that's clamping on 800 ft-lbs of engine torque. Depending on how they set up the clutch pedal assembly itself, they might even be able to have pedal feel tied to the drive mode selector.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, GM does with this.
This sounds interesting but it also sounds like possibility for reliability issues.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
This sounds interesting but it also sounds like possibility for reliability issues.
You mean like having the clutch pedal stick to he floor if you don't flush the dirty electrons out of the system every 6 months, like with the hydraulic clutch operated throw-out bearing used in the C5, C6, and C7?
Old 09-26-2018, 03:16 PM
disasm
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that this patent isn't targeted specifically for the C8. Rather, I see this more for remote engine start applications (with a manual). This would allow them to upsell customers to a more expensive remote start option even for manual cars (not just the C8, but Camaro, etc.). I'm not saying the C8 will (or won't) get a manual, I just don't think this patent has anything to do with that decision. I, for one, would pay extra to get remote start on my manual car.

Last edited by disasm; 09-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The patent info release is to calm the fears of no manual c8.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:52 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 241 Posts

For myself, I am more interested in the DCT. But I truly hope GM finds a way to have a manual in the car for those that want it. I understand the draw and thought the same thing for my own sports cars and motorcycles for years. No longer feel that way but get it.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
You can do the shift linkage electronically, too::

a) take a shifter rod in a 7 gear selection assembly with 7 microswitches. ... .
But as I posted in another thread they could use a Ferrari like shift gate to look cool! Would expect they would not use devices like micro switches but rather non contact ones like the Hall sensors currtely used with rev match to define what gear you planning to go into. Don’t see why they can’t use the DCT mecanisum as is. Currently they have to use a logic algorithm that is sometimes wrong. For example when accelerating they “assume” the next gear needed is an upshift and the DCT is already in that gear. However if for whatever reason you wanted to go into a lower gear and taped the brake, say for a turn, it has to change the preselected gear to the lower one. It just takes a fraction of a second longer.

Currently I commonly shift from 5th to 3rd when making a casual turn. Also 7th on the interstate to direct drive 4th. Would be nice to continue and no reason all the DCT controls could not be activated with a level and position sensors. There is also an issue on take-off not wanting the clutch to slip excessively. The pedal activated sensor could apply it with human logic better than a computer guess.

All appear to be doable and give the driver satisfaction of a standard shift. After all the airplane I just landed on for tomorrow’s visit to the Rider Cup was all operated by fly by wire. Just like the airplane there is a computer that operates it normally but in an emergency the pilot can control most items. In fact as they do with an airplane, if you try to downshift and the lower gear would be above redline- they could limit that! Now if you mistakenly go from 5th to say 2nd when 4th was intended, once you release the clutch the tires etc can rotate the engine above redline!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-27-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by disasm
I think that this patent isn't targeted specifically for the C8. Rather, I see this more for remote engine start applications (with a manual). This would allow them to upsell customers to a more expensive remote start option even for manual cars (not just the C8, but Camaro, etc.). I'm not saying the C8 will (or won't) get a manual, I just don't think this patent has anything to do with that decision. I, for one, would pay extra to get remote start on my manual car.
It could also be for start-stop fuel saving technology.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:30 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I love rowing through gears as much as the next guy, but automatics/manu-matics are the future. Sooner or later you're going to have to come to this realization.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I could write a check for $70k tomorrow without worrying about my account balance. But $4k is still $4k. I'll always be a value shopper, it's just my nature. About $4k is probably what the upcharge for the DCT will be.

To be clear, I genuinely prefer the manual. However, if I had to pay the same as a DCT for a manual, when I KNOW the DCT is going to make for a faster car, I'd be really torn. I mean I don't like forced induction either but I wouldn't turn it down for free.
agree. It’s silly to say that someone “can’t afford it” just because they don’t **** their money away.

On a MUCH smaller scale, I remember one guy here giving me **** because IMHO Mobil One oil filters are over priced. I buy WIX.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:49 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
I love rowing through gears as much as the next guy, but automatics/manu-matics are the future. Sooner or later you're going to have to come to this realization.
On a sports car? Why?

The whole point of a sports car is the fun of driving it. Autos are boring with or without paddles.

I understand why a road course track guy would want one. But for my street car, never!
The following users liked this post:
1Turbo (10-15-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:04 PM
pbateman
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I am trying to be open minded about a DCT. Like really trying, because I know they are faster, but there is something about that mechanical linkage and the driving experience that is hard to let go of. Watching videos of Lambos and Ferraris with DCT's is different. These are lower displacement OHC engines that rev really ******* fast. GM is likely to stick with OHV, which im good with, but I dont think a DCT will be nearly as exciting with the price point of a Corvette when compared to the fore mentioned. Plus, GM ******* blows at making transmissions so my hopes are low.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
On a sports car? Why?

The whole point of a sports car is the fun of driving it. Autos are boring with or without paddles.

I understand why a road course track guy would want one. But for my street car, never!
Yes, the experience of going through the gears and accelerating after each gear is really something fun and exhilarating that can't be duplicated with an auto transmission.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
It could also be for start-stop fuel saving technology.
More likley as that is a GM benifit! They need gas saving technology to meet corporate mpg goals.

Propely integrated Start/Stop works great. In our BMW X5 SUV you don’t even know it’s working. Foot off the brake and can’t hear the starter. Some companies are shutting the car off just after an ignition cycle so the combustion pressure in that cylinder is what is mostly used to turn the engine. It also uses a form on braking energy recovery by only using the alternator when coasting or braking. The Vette already has electric steering just need to add an electric water pump.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:02 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by fumbling
Yes, the experience of going through the gears and accelerating after each gear is really something fun and exhilarating that can't be duplicated with an auto transmission.
Sure. No doubt. Unless you actually race and/or care about performance figures. Manuals are slower. By a wide margin.

More fun? The argument could be made.

Better Performance? Not since the late 90’s.

edit: I’m 100% confident you’ve not tried a newer auto/dct/manu-magic. They’re just as exhilarating as a manual... unless you never actually push your car. If you’re a cruiser? Pick your poison.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 10-02-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:07 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

some may have to just save the C7's.

Today's manuals just can't match the auto tranny anymore
Old 10-02-2018, 02:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
some may have to just save the C7's.

Today's manuals just can't match the auto tranny anymore
Agree a DCT with standard trans efficient spur gears and no inefficent torque converter is better than a “slush box l
ike the A8. If they added a simple shift by wire manual activation lever could keep the fun in driving and skipping gears when desired etc. We’ll see it GM incorporates that feature in the Tremic DC Transaxle.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-02-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A lifeline to those who must have a manual?

Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Sure. No doubt. Unless you actually race and/or care about performance figures. Manuals are slower. By a wide margin.

More fun? The argument could be made.

Better Performance? Not since the late 90’s.

edit: I’m 100% confident you’ve not tried a newer auto/dct/manu-magic. They’re just as exhilarating as a manual... unless you never actually push your car. If you’re a cruiser? Pick your poison.
I have and it was boring as hell.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:08 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Manuals are really fun to drive (I have a '02 Z06 so I should know) but I think a true DCT would be just as much fun especially due to the speed of the shifts. The previous gen A6 and current A8 just can't provide that same visceral experience IMO. I've driven C6 and C7 with the autos and tried using the paddle shifters in those but to be honest, they were just useless. There was way too much lag time in the shifts. It wasn't an enjoyable driving experience when either upshifting and downshifting. So when I drove them I just left it in "D" and cruised around. I did ride in a friend's Porsche 911 with the PDK transmission and when he upshifted/downshifted it (via the paddles), it sure left an impression on me! I'm looking forward to GM finally taking the next step in the evolution of refining the Corvette and bringing it in line with the best sports cars in the world.

So I think with a true DCT, the experience will be just as engaging as a manual. Again JMO ... YMMV!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:01 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
On a sports car? Why?

Thanx for sharing your OPINION.

Quick Reply: A lifeline to those who must have a manual?