Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lifeline to those who must have a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:38 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

not to be one of those guys but someone who actually enjoys the art of driving and feeling connected to the car (yeah corny I know) will take a manual over an "automatic" any day. If you just want bragging rights then choose an auto but remember, any monkey can drive an auto, it actually takes skill to master a manual.

Last edited by themonk; 10-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by themonk:
Michael A (10-03-2018), zhopper05 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I was given a ride at a race track at speed in a very fast new Lambo about 2 years ago and it was driven very well. Super nice guy and a super nice car. He was paddle shifting and they were lightning fast. I just could not believe that the car could still be exiting the turns and grab a full throttle upshift and not spin but just accelerate hard. Very impressive.

But I still don't need or want a DCT.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Anything u like
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

At least the posters on this thread seem to understand that we are actually talking about 3 different types of trans. A manual, an automatic and a DCT. Some guys on the forum don’t seem to understand that a DCT is NOT the same as an automatic. There is no torque converter and there is a clutch, two of them actually, they’re just activated electronically instead by the pedal. A DCT can shift itself similar to an automatic but an auto trans really doesn’t emulate a DCT very well. A DCT can also be shifted either by paddles or with the stick shift on the console. I have an M7 GS (and love it) but a DCT in my M4 and love it also. I use the stick to drive it just like a manual (no clutch pedal of course) and it snaps off shifts way faster than I can do in my GS. Both are fun. Yes I have been driving manuals since I was 14, I’m 62 now, so 48 years. Sorry to you guys who know all this stuff already. Just pointing out that if you’ve driven an automatic you haven’t driven a dual clutch. They operate differently and FEEL different.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (11-04-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:40 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Anything u like
At least the posters on this thread seem to understand that we are actually talking about 3 different types of trans. A manual, an automatic and a DCT. Some guys on the forum don’t seem to understand that a DCT is NOT the same as an automatic. There is no torque converter and there is a clutch, two of them actually, they’re just activated electronically instead by the pedal. A DCT can shift itself similar to an automatic but an auto trans really doesn’t emulate a DCT very well. A DCT can also be shifted either by paddles or with the stick shift on the console. I have an M7 GS (and love it) but a DCT in my M4 and love it also. I use the stick to drive it just like a manual (no clutch pedal of course) and it snaps off shifts way faster than I can do in my GS. Both are fun. Yes I have been driving manuals since I was 14, I’m 62 now, so 48 years. Sorry to you guys who know all this stuff already. Just pointing out that if you’ve driven an automatic you haven’t driven a dual clutch. They operate differently and FEEL different.
Intersting article below about the ZF automatic:

https://apple.news/AXCjuUjYJMguAnZEb50pNHQ
Old 10-03-2018, 07:42 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamr616
Intersting article below about the ZF automatic:

https://apple.news/AXCjuUjYJMguAnZEb50pNHQ
We went from an Audi with DCT to a BMW with that trans. It is far better than the DCT.

Last edited by NY09C6; 10-21-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Anything u like
you are correct but a DCT can act like an automatic when in the proper mode and that's what people (at least I hope) are thinking about.

Last edited by themonk; 10-05-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:23 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Michael A
Works for me. We have throttle by wire already. The feel of some GM clutches isn't that great anyway, so this could be an improvement. C8 needs a manual.
lol

no more lugging around spare clutch fluid, paper towels and a turkey baster to get your clutch pedal from sticking to the floor.

iI swear this on all things holy.. if this is for real count me in. If this car is DCT only you can kiss it goodbye and its sales
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (10-04-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:02 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I have and it was boring as hell.
Until you realized you set a personal best while being bored and just not even trying. Again, were you actually PUSHING the car around a track or did you let off at 59 in the passing lane because your exit was coming up? Coffee is important, but it sounds like your opinion was chiseled in before you even sat in that Boxster...
Old 10-21-2018, 07:34 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

That may be the best simplest def of a DCT. Good post.
Still want another pedal. Perhaps eventually I will get it.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by themonk
If you just want bragging rights then choose an auto but remember, any monkey can drive an auto, it actually takes skill to master a manual.
Almost every road racing series from F1 to IMSA runs automatic transmissions these days, yet we admire and celebrate the drivers.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 PM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

22% of 2018 Corvettes had a manual trans, not a big number but a significant one, this tells me GM sees enough profit in it to make it happen.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Until you realized you set a personal best while being bored and just not even trying. Again, were you actually PUSHING the car around a track or did you let off at 59 in the passing lane because your exit was coming up? Coffee is important, but it sounds like your opinion was chiseled in before you even sat in that Boxster...
Never been on a road coarse. Probably never will. My Corvette is a daily driver and a daily driver with an automatic sucks. We have owned two Audi DSGs, never owned a Boxster.

And I fully agree a DCT would be faster on a road corse, have stated this several times on this forum. I would still pay extra for a manual.

Last edited by NY09C6; 10-21-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Its very obvious a lot of you dont have enough experience with manual transmission and turbo charged engines. Because if you did, you would immediately point out all of this discussion is irrelevant. The 22% of corvette owners would not buy a manual turbo charged car. It just does not feel natural and has inherent issues with how engine makes torque. I drove many M4s that is stick as well as 911s, I m a manual guy and there is no way I would own those cars in manual form. A DCT hides inherent turbocharging issues because of how you can fine tune TCU and extremely handle the torque drops with clutch slippage angles etc. Manual transmission just feels very wrong in turbo charged engines.

Its because of this GM will not offer one. It just wont sell even half of that 22% number.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 10-22-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Its very obvious a lot of you dont have enough experience with manual transmission and turbo charged engines. Because if you did, you would immediately point out all of this discussion is irrelevant. The 22% of corvette owners would not buy a manual turbo charged car. It just does not feel natural and has inherent issues with how engine makes torque. I drove many M4s that is stick as well as 911s, I m a manual guy and there is no way I would own those cars in manual form. A DCT hides inherent turbocharging issues because of how you can fine tune TCU and extremely handle the torque drops with clutch slippage angles etc. Manual transmission just feels very wrong in turbo charged engines.

Its because of this GM will not offer one. It just wont sell even half of that 22% number.
I've driven manual turbocharged cars as well as DCT equipped turbo cars and completely disagree with you. There is nothing "unnatural" about a manual turbo car (not to mention I have no idea what that is supposed to mean). Usually the biggest complaint in a manual turbo car was the turbo lag in between shifts, however, that really hasn't been a problem in the last 10 years with more advanced recirc valves, improved turbos, tuning, etc. Saying many people would not enjoy a manual turbo V8 is not only based on absolutely no facts it is wrong.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Well I am banking on the LT being carried over with no turbos. The engine order data and CAD drawings both show this as a NA motor. I do not want the turbo engine.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Never been on a road coarse. Probably never will. My Corvette is a daily driver and a daily driver with an automatic sucks. We have owned two Audi DSGs, never owned a Boxster.

And I fully agree a DCT would be faster on a road corse, have stated this several times on this forum. I would still pay extra for a manual.
This frame of mind is the polar opposite of the vast majority of drivers. We’d much rather have a smooth, simple auto for around town and traffic driving, and a proper manual in our toys—which is why manuals are dying, sadly.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
22% of 2018 Corvettes had a manual trans, not a big number but a significant one, this tells me GM sees enough profit in it to make it happen.
The scary part is that means the other 78% will eventually experience the A8 shudder. Just kidding, maybe.

Get notified of new replies

To A lifeline to those who must have a manual?

Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I hope the gearbox used in the ME doesn't turn into this situation : https://www.motor1.com/news/275825/f...mg-gt-gearbox/

That would truly suck.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

Almost every Porsche sports car has turbos, and is offered with a manual (and people are buying them). How do you explain that?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Almost every Porsche sports car has turbos, and is offered with a manual (and people are buying them). How do you explain that?
Just because they have it and people buy them doesnt mean the experience is good. Companies also put torque converters in place of dual clutch in sports cars and people buy those cars too but guess what, experience is **** (i.e A8, what a horrendous transmission to be in a car like ZR1).

The problem 99% of the time is boost trop when changing gears. Either downshifting or upshifting. There is no way to cheat the law of physics. Even with pre tensioned turbos, there is still noticeable boost drop and that translates into turbo lag. When you get back on the gas, massive torque hits a second after you are on the pedal or while downshifting the boost dies and so does the the torque and you feel like you hit a wall.

If those who buy these cars never really drove a proper N/A manual, they ll never know what they are missing. Better yet if they dont know how to drive a manual transmission, its still problem.

Quick Reply: A lifeline to those who must have a manual?