Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Mid Engine Corvette be the only Corvette ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 06:58 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I'll agree that the C8 will mid-engine only. A C8 front engine would have to be significantly different enough from the C7 (similar to the differences between the C5 and C6), for there to be a test car with camouflage. I also agree that the base price of the C8 will likely only be a few thousand higher than the base C7. It will be interesting to see what GM will do with the Z06 and ZR1 versions; is there a Zora halo car in the mix too?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:56 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
The name Chevrolet does not appear anywhere on the Corvette. In fact, the biggest problem for Corvette is that it is sold and serviced at Chevy dealers. Nobody goes to a VW dealer to buy a Porsche or get it serviced even though VW owns Porsche.

Corvette is GM's only premium name and expanding the lineup would make sense, just as it has for Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Your idea does have merit but it's best if you're patient as it's not going to happen in the next few years imo. My thinking is that the C8 ME will have a ton of hype and interest from many others even if it doesn't suit you. It's a big change but it's almost a guaranteed success if the styling is good because of the improved performance. If it's hideous like you claim it doesn't matter if it's a FE or ME, that'd hurt sales either way.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

If they can price the entry level RME Vette in the same ballpark as the Stingray, there's no need for the FME. No new (to Corvette) buyer would go with FME, and most of the die hard Vette guys already bought their preferred C7. It would be tough to upgrade from one C7 to another with the RME on the streets. Also, if someone knows how to keep sports car prices down, it's GM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
If they can price the entry level RME Vette in the same ballpark as the Stingray, there's no need for the FME. No new (to Corvette) buyer would go with FME, and most of the die hard Vette guys already bought their preferred C7. It would be tough to upgrade from one C7 to another with the RME on the streets. Also, if someone knows how to keep sports car prices down, it's GM.
That is purely YOUR opinion and nothing else. Not that many people want a faux exotic. Maintenance costs, diy difficulty and practicality are all reasons people would stay with FME.

The 911 still outsells the Cayman 2 and sometimes 3 to 1 yearly in spite of being much more expensive on average. A mid engine car is not going to sell nearly 10k units a year like the FME has. Period.
​​​
If GM nixes the FME completely it could be one of the worst decisions in company history..

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-09-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I think the C8 ME will be a big hit.
Whether or not GM makes only ME cars or not, one thing some say, is If it's priced close to what the FE cars are at now, that would be good.
But, looking at past history, when a New generation comes out, aside from the few greedy Dealers, in the beginning prices have always started low.
C7 is a good example when looking back at pricing for the car itself and Options like Z51 etc.
Every year after that, everything from the car itself to the Options go up.
The GS is another example at 10K more without extra Options than the Base car, yes, big bang for the money with what you get.
Add options and you're getting into Z06 territory.
The ME will definitely be more than what a base C7 is now, even if it is "only" 5K more , but that's just the beginning.
What happens when adding options, and as in the past, prices go up every following year, usually 1,500 for the car itself.
An 80K C7 in today's market will be in 90K territory for the ME and so it goes.
If GM goes with the ME only, when does it end and when do higher and higher pricing start to turn away more buyers.
Pure conjectory on my part but, if history is any indication, well then
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

this talk about two cars... is mainly due to the fear of a high priced ME. If somehow GM can make a ME for a base price of $60k... then I believe we'll see only a mid engined C8.

I know it's been said that it doesn't cost anymore to build a ME over a FE. If this were the case though, then why haven't the car mfgrs built -what we've all wanted- in the past decade or two? If this were possible... we'd all be owning them.

When you include straight line acceleration, cornering, and interior comfort amenities... there's no ME out there anywhere near the $60k base C7 price.

My employer owns two Lotus; and they are cool little cars- but barren inside. No radio, no sound absorption, no cruise control; no AC, very uncomfortable to drive/ride for more than about 30 miles. With the base Corvette, you could go to a dragstrip in NewYork and practically win every race against other 100% stock street cars.... then drive from there to LA in total plush comfort.

Do I need such comfort; probably not. But something has to give... if a ME Corvette (that equals the C7 performance) is produced at the starting price of $60k.

We're all guessing here; giving our best outlooks and ideas. Only a few have spoken in absolutes.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,172 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
That is purely YOUR opinion and nothing else. Not that many people want a faux exotic. Maintenance costs, diy difficulty and practicality are all reasons people would stay with FME.

The 911 still outsells the Cayman 2 and sometimes 3 to 1 yearly in spite of being much more expensive on average. A mid engine car is not going to sell nearly 10k units a year like the FME has. Period.
​​​
If GM nixes the FME completely it could be one of the worst decisions in company history..
With what is known so far pretty much everything in this thread is still opinion including yours. Not many people want a faux exotic? What exactly is a faux exotic?? Exotic to me means at a minimum an extremely low volume, very expensive automobile that is so hard to get your hands on you either have to be a rock star or a long time buyer of the brand with very deep pockets. A mid engine design hardly qualifies as making any automobile exotic. There are plenty of exotic cars with front engines in them. Does this make the C7 a faux exotic as well? I don't think so.

You seem to have a real issue with a ME Corvette even though you have not had a chance to see one let alone drive one. I have no idea exactly how many units of the new car GM will be able to sell. IF the car is priced anywhere near the current C7 pricing brackets I believe it will easily sell in volume. Most importantly in order to move the new car has to attract not only repeat customers but new customers as well. This design has a very good chance of doing that. The worst decision GM will make in company history? I don't think so but time will tell....

Quick Reply: Will Mid Engine Corvette be the only Corvette ??