Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Mid Engine Corvette be the only Corvette ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Will Mid Engine Corvette be the only Corvette ??

Did I miss some special bulletin with all this Speculation that the ME Corvette will eventually be the only Corvette.
IMO the ME Corvette will be an addition to the Corvette lineup and GM will still make FE Corvettes.
What say you
Old 09-21-2018, 12:46 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

The plan is (was?) to have a replacement of the C7 in 2022 as a refresh of the the current platform. But with the 2 year overlap with the mid-engine, I think if GM sells enough mid-engine cars they will rely on the Camaro to bridge the gap and no do an FMR car.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:42 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Did I miss some special bulletin with all this Speculation that the ME Corvette will eventually be the only Corvette.
IMO the ME Corvette will be an addition to the Corvette lineup and GM will still make FE Corvettes.
What say you
Any new model will be the 'Zora' if indeed its a ME no need to ruin the Corvette name...
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
What say you
Watch the Autoline video on this forum with Bob Lutz posted yesterday FE is over by by. C7 was going to be an ME bankruptcy stoped it. No need for this post and thread.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-21-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

I believe that once the C8 ME Corvette is revealed, the only other new Corvettes would be the last run of ZR1s.

The ME will be the next generation of Corvette, and will take Corvette to the next level.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
I believe that once the C8 ME Corvette is revealed, the only other new Corvettes would be the last run of ZR1s.

The ME will be the next generation of Corvette, and will take Corvette to the next level.
I don't believe for even a minute there will be but one 2020 Corvette, and it will be the new C8. It was written in an article somewhere, if I recall correctly, ... that C7 production will end in May 2019, then a 3 month switch over and 2020 model C8 Corvette production starts in September 2019?
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,982 Likes on 1,816 Posts

I don't think the Corvette market is big enough to support two different platforms. The only way this would work is if one platform can be used for both a FE and ME car. If that was happening we would be seeing FE test cars alongside the ME.. and we haven't. So I'm thinking ME will be the only one.
pdiddy972 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I believe the most likely scenario is that 2019 model year will be the swan song for the C7. If there is a 2020 C7, it’s because the C8 isnt ready for full scale production until the 2021model year. BUT, GM has been too willing to show us virtually all angles of the C8, to a degree that renderings are 98% USDA prime quality. Doing this now would make a 2020 C7 model a lame duck. THERE WILL NOT BE C7’s snd 8’s made side by side IMO. To do so would require a second assembly line and hiring many skilled workers. (From where). They wouldnt do this to get another year or two out of the C7.... and why confuse the issue... if the C8 is the better platform, why create a doubt about it by making the C7 “just in case” people dont believe it. There is an interesting aspect to my theory from a personal standpoint: if I’m correct, it will make the C7 ZR1 a one year run. I have discovered that only 3 WGG ZTK satin graphite wheel 7M cars were made (if GM’s search engine on the ZR1 is accurate.. when adding the napa comp blue stiching the number drops to 1... will that increase the value of my ZR1...HELL NO!!!!!!! But think about this... if the ZR1 does prove to be a 1 and done there will only be 2000-2400 in private hsnds total. By comparison the $1/2mil Ford GT is on schedule to have 1000 made (by Multimatic of Ontario)...250 a year for 4 years. They are making a car a day. I think GM priced the ZR1 a little higher than expected because knew from day one it would be a low production unit and had to amortise their development costs over fewer units. Ill be the first to admit that the Z06 is s bargain next to the ZR1.... especially if you got (or get) a discounted new 2017 or 18.
elegant (09-24-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

The idea that GM would build both a FME and RME car is just not consistent with their business strategy. The Bob Lutz interview is the definitive answer. There will only be a RME C8 corvette. Having two chassis designs would only serve to dilute the efforts of the engineering team. I for one am happy they are evolving the C8. They have reached the performance limits for a front engine rear drive car.
The following 2 users liked this post by bob53:
fasttoys (09-22-2018), JerriVette (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Dif raises a good question, and the answer on C8 Gen is almost unanimously toward One Corvette and it is a C8 and it is only an ME. And that also means no C7 (for very long) and no more FE Corvette.

Of course, that has to take into account what is also said on C8 Gen---at least two things: no manual transmission, and a completely different engine arrangement, both of which may be fine with existing owners, as well as potential owners who have either wanted or previously owned Corvettes. It also may be fine for never-owned, interested buyers, or what might be called "competitor" owners, from Mustang to Porsche and beyond!

That's a big bet IMO. Not to mention carrying/cargo space in the new ME---a relatively/very minor consideration to most on C8 Gen.

Or, from what has been seen of C8 pics, no convertible which has not been the case for Corvette since the mid-'70s and again in the mid-'80s.

If this is the new C8, ME-model only, it is not an extension of the Corvette line---it's a completely different book starting with a new intro and chapter. There'll be the '53-'20 Corvette book, and the '20-? Corvette.

If that works out to be the way it goes, it is betting the name-brand or model on this new Corvette, a very big bet IMO.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by bob53
The idea that GM would build both a FME and RME car is just not consistent with their business strategy. The Bob Lutz interview is the definitive answer. There will only be a RME C8 corvette. Having two chassis designs would only serve to dilute the efforts of the engineering team. I for one am happy they are evolving the C8. They have reached the performance limits for a front engine rear drive car.
Agree. I liked how Mr Lutz kept saying that he had no inside knowledge whatsoever. Over and over

I'd be betting that he had a quiet conversation with current execs as to what he should, and should not, say. All part of the gradual reveal.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:52 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
Agree. I liked how Mr Lutz kept saying that he had no inside knowledge whatsoever. Over and over

I'd be betting that he had a quiet conversation with current execs as to what he should, and should not, say. All part of the gradual reveal.
He's not being cute. They won't tell him things. There is no gradual reveal. Just people giving opinions.

Do you trust Bob's opinion over most? Sure, he's pretty knowledgeable. But don't mistake that for truism.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Having a FE and a ME produced concurrently would do absolutely nothing but dilute the market for both. In other words, it would be stupid. Aint gonna happen.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:04 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Hopefully the planners at GM know what they are doing... LoL. Seriously though, I think that would not be optimal for sales unless they are positioning the ME for a different buyer and competitor niche. This goes back to directly competing with the Ferrari, labmbo, etc. yes they can do it ( ME for the rich and FE for the poser masses ). They would avoid the cross cannibalizing of sales between both cars that way but is that consistent with the history of the Corvette? IMO, it’s not.

Some may want that but does that produce A) optimal levels of profit, B) Justify the expense, C) produce conquest sales in the ME segment sufficient for A &B? OR, would they stomp the American sports car market by going ME only with attainability in its tier pricing? After all the corvette has always been seen as a car that older people got... because they had to save / work they way up to it. But they were able to attain to that.

Originally Posted by Dif
What say you

Last edited by tcinla; 09-23-2018 at 10:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tcinla:
ChipHead (09-24-2018), skank (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:24 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
What say you

Just about the only GM nameplate known globally thanks to Le Mans racing success is Corvette. If GM is smart, then they’ll leverage this cachet into a line of cars running from 70K to 180k, front me and rear me, and an suv. Also GM should build some overseas to avoid traiffs and taxes so they will be locally competitive on price and there should be rhd models. The advice, GM, is free.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:03 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

The Camaro will fill the void left by the exit of the FE C7... those wanting more luggage space will find it quite capable. GM’s vision for the future Corvette is mid engine RD now and hybrid electrict front drive ME rear drive down the road a bit. It will happen sooner than most believe IMO. I believe the first C8’s will make 450-500 hp.. GM is reducing the #’s of different models: not increasing them. Logistically, producting the C7 and C8 at the same time would be a nightmare and an unprofitable venture, let alone undercut GM’s introduction of the C8. I don’t believe that option is on the table. The ZR1 was the “going away gift” from Corvette. Adios amigo.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 865 Likes on 540 Posts

The ME Zora has some serious problems
1) Cost will be at least $5,000 more with the base car at $70K with dealer mark ups of $10K minimum.
2) Styling of the exterior is controversial and many traditional Corvette buyers won't like it.
3) No manual transmission. Given the problems with the current A8, that could be a deal killer.
4) Little cargo space so a weekend vehicle at most.
5) All new design will have a lot of bugs.

The FE Stingray has some advantages:
1) Less complex to build and maintain
2) More horsepower in base engine will generate sales
3) Tried and true design with a refresh will carry on a 55 year tradition (same rationale as 911)
4) Competitors offer multiple platforms
5) GM has invested $1billion in BGA and rolling the dice on only a ME is risky
6) The FE can be built on the same assembly line as the ME

Last edited by PCMIII; 09-22-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Get notified of new replies

To Will Mid Engine Corvette be the only Corvette ??

Old 09-23-2018, 03:39 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by PCMIII
The ME Zora has some serious problems
1) Cost will be at least $5,000 more with the base car at $70K with dealer mark ups of $10K minimum.
2) Styling of the exterior is controversial and many traditional Corvette buyers won't like it.
3) No manual transmission. Given the problems with the current A8, that could be a deal killer.
4) Little cargo space so a weekend vehicle at most.
5) All new design will have a lot of bugs.

The FE Stingray has some advantages:
1) Less complex to build and maintain
2) More horsepower in base engine will generate sales
3) Tried and true design with a refresh will carry on a 55 year tradition (same rationale as 911)
4) Competitors offer multiple platforms
5) GM has invested $1billion in BGA and rolling the dice on only a ME is risky
6) The FE can be built on the same assembly line as the ME
Everything you say is true but it overlooks a very sad sad fact for us old FE Corvette buyers: We are getting older and wont be buying too many more new Vettes. Its “only business” that GM isnt concerned about what its loyal “geriatric fan base” wants. We’ll continue to ooo and ahhh at earlier generation Vettes of our youth while GM is calculating what todays teen will be buying in the years to come. Even though the C7 drew a somewhat younger buyer than the C6, or 5, the average buyer’s age is still much too high. The C8 will be aimed at an average age even lower. The C7 will be burried with along with it’s baby boomer generation. R.I.P. If you want one, there will be plenty out there to chose from for years to come. GM made way too many C7’s: a mistake I dont think they plan to do with the C8. If they hadn’t, they wouldn’t have ended up selling many of them for virtually no profit near the end (now). They are starting to think “Euro” IMO. Build less than there is demand for and charge enough to make good margins. It’s not a charity organization. Porsche fans might bitch about getting ripped off for everything related to their beloved car yet they continue to stand in line to get them. Gm would love to have that problem.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 09-23-2018 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Sp
The following 2 users liked this post by Rinaldo Catria:
BKorsaire (09-24-2018), tcinla (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Black18Z06
Having a FE and a ME produced concurrently would do absolutely nothing but dilute the market for both. In other words, it would be stupid. Aint gonna happen.
while GM certainly could setup the line to service both builds I believe the strategy will be to sell the new car and the "cutover" will be it for all but the ZR-1 which may soldier on as the profit margins are higher on that car.

It's not a good business decision to offer an improved product and keep pushing last years model. Once the build quality and mules are worked out the c7 will go the way of the do do bird to make way for the new car.

Don't worry, there won't be a shortage of c7s, plenty will hit the market if you want one as everyone scrambles to have "the next big thing". Technology marches on, and I for one am very excited to see the vette or zora go to the ME platform. Just hoping the final look is a knock out. I have no doubt the performance will continue to improve just as it has for many years. We are in the hey day of the muscle cars just like at the end of the 60s and even though CAFE hasn't quite done the vette in yet, the hp wars may end sooner than later.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 09-23-2018 at 06:21 AM.
tcinla (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The speculation has been so silly on the C8. To the point where I quit responding to them. Examples are it's a Cadillac, $150K+ starting price, 2 Corvettes at the same time, SUV's as if it's a brand instead of a model within a brand etc... Often these off the wall silly projections are made by those supposedly in the know, yet clearly they know just enough to be dangerous and not much else.

I don't have insider knowledge, but I have a lot of common sense.

The only C8 will be the ME and it will be also called the Zora, similar to how the C7 is called the Stingray. It will start at about $60K and will be a Chevrolet. And I happen to think it will offer a manual, but that part I can't really say.

I'll also add that even though the top of the line model might eventually offer AWD and Hybrid, that's (thankfully!) not going to be part of the base model option package.

~ take care

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 09-23-2018 at 07:18 AM.
tcinla (09-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Will Mid Engine Corvette be the only Corvette ??