Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What we kinda found our at Funfest at GMs sponsored presentation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:29 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Yeah, I watched the video and there was no verified info that wasn’t already known and no claims made that he knew what they are doing for a fact.

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
This was Dave McLellan, right?

Just so everyone is aware, in case there's any confusion, Dave retired before the C5 was even a thing (1992). So while he's got some valued, respected insight, it's highly unlikely he's in the loop regarding the specifics of a car 4 generations removed from his tenure at GM.
The following users liked this post:
kingpin111 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:33 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,989 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
How much would a car like this weigh IF it comes with AWD, Electric Motors, DCT, Safety stuff and all that comes with vettes? I cannot imagine the Z version being turbocharged, AWD and have electric motors. That's a whole lotta added weight. Will the usual suspected parts be Carbon Fiber (e.g. Hood, Doors, Roof)?
NSX has all of that and weighs right about 3,800lbs. For comparison the current ZR1 isn't exactly light at about 3,600lbs.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by smithers
NSX has all of that and weighs right about 3,800lbs. For comparison the current ZR1 isn't exactly light at about 3,600lbs.
This is why I liked the original NSX and C6 Z06. Great, N/A cars that are light, nimble, and can carve up a track. I wanted an NSX like the original but with 600ish like the new one. I was also disappointed the C7 Z06 was supercharged. Just added unnecessary weight. They should have gone for less of a power bump, maybe 550-575 and to keep weight down.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:08 PM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
GM is keeping the price "down" buy STILL using aluminum and sparsely using carbon fiber
Exactly
Old 09-23-2018, 07:14 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Since the late 70'S they have been talking about a mid engine. Give me a break it will never happen! They will loose to many customers. Now a all Electric count me in ,with a 500 mile range. I hate pumping smelly gas. Wake up GM electric is the future and the cars are quick!
You have been drinking the Formula E Kool-Aid. I would love for someone to run a Formula E car and a Formula 1 car on the same track at the same time (each is the pinnacle of a gas or electric race car) and compare lap times. Even at Monaco, which would probably be where the F1 and FE are closest, it wouldn't be close. The lap record for a F1 car is 1:14.260 (2.074 mi layout). The Formula E layout is 1.09 mi and the FE record is 53.822.
Electric race cars, like electric cars in general, are the future if all we want to do is run a lot slower and for much shorter periods of time. What would we need 30 cars per team to run an electric 24 hours of Daytona?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:31 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You have been drinking the Formula E Kool-Aid. I would love for someone to run a Formula E car and a Formula 1 car on the same track at the same time (each is the pinnacle of a gas or electric race car) and compare lap times. Even at Monaco, which would probably be where the F1 and FE are closest, it wouldn't be close. The lap record for a F1 car is 1:14.260 (2.074 mi layout). The Formula E layout is 1.09 mi and the FE record is 53.822.
Electric race cars, like electric cars in general, are the future if all we want to do is run a lot slower and for much shorter periods of time. What would we need 30 cars per team to run an electric 24 hours of Daytona?
Not once they figure out how to do 5 minute battery changes. Racing encourages these types of developments. Formula E will be the future, but man will I miss the sounds, even on those little engines F1 races with today.

Quick Reply: What we kinda found our at Funfest at GMs sponsored presentation