Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM's New Patent - Manual for ME?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath

What you’re saying is “screw performance and efficiency , I need attention.” Got it.
Quite the opposite. He’s saying he wants a manual for his own enjoyment, not what other people think.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:24 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,615 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
And they cant run a hydraulic line back there becauseeeeeee?
Originally Posted by NY09C6
I do not need the attention. But I will sacrifice quite a bit of performance for something that is engaging and fun to drive.
Don't need no stinking hydraulics! Just use some sensors like the do for Rev Match and shift to whatever gear you'll like! See some DCT are using that approach as an option.

More I read abut the "logic" they must use to see if the next gear the trans is in before switching clutches should be higher or lower, the more I am sure at times I can do a better job! Such as on the Interstate switching directly from 7th to direct drive 4th. Or when traveling at 60 mph on our rural roads and making a turn going directly from 5th to 3rd. Could use the old Ferrari gate for fun but all that is occurring is the stick defines the next gear not some logic algorithm built into the computer! They admit that if accelerating, say in 3rd they assume 4th is the next gear and have the DCT set for that. If it sees deceleration or a brake signal it changes to the next lower gear. I often don't use the brake on a 5th to 3rd moderate speed turn in town! I'll be happy to have the computer do the shifting where I tell it! Sure have a switch so when I want I can let it be automatic!

Could do something with a clutch peddle as well even it's not much more that a sensor or switch. They admit at idle before taking off they slip the clutch slightly so it's ready to engage as the accelerator is pressed. I can, via a switch or sensor, have it do that when I want. Sure the computer can control the rate etc I just tell it when to start! I can use the brake as I do now if on a slight incline!

Just Sayn'!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

So....its an automatic then with a random stick that moves around instead of paddles...i see...
Old 11-17-2018, 09:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

-
So....its an automatic then with a random stick that moves around instead of paddles...i see...
Would still have paddles that go up or down one gear at a time. That stick is just another way to have it shift. For example, on an Interstate why go from 7th, to 6th, to 5th to get to direct drive 4th. I do that all the when going onto an exit ramp or even when passing an 18 wheeler quickly (Hate driving next to 18 wheelers. Soon after I got my 2014 one tossed a rock from it’s tire and cracked my windshield! Now I give it less time!). After I pass the 18 wheeler back directly to 7th. Don't want to hear the shifter go through 3 steps to get there! The C7 is neat in that cruise control returns without hitting resume. I use that often and don’t waste my time going through 2 more overdrives to get to direct drive 4th or back to 7th!

Would have a two position switch on the console that was labeled: automatic/w/paddles and gear shift.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-17-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Don't want to come off rude but have you driven a DCT vehicle in auto mode? It will skip gears for you.

As for my earlier comment about sending a hydraulic line back - it was so people could retain the clutch pedal feel vs electric on/off switch.

Last edited by Apocolipse; 11-17-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't want to come off rude but have you driven a DCT vehicle in auto mode? It will skip gears for you.

As for my earlier comment about sending a hydraulic line back - it was so people could retain the clutch pedal feel vs electric on/off switch.
Have not but how do you go from 7th to 4th? Pull the downshift lever 3 times? (The Tremic transaxle that is said to be going in the C8 is a 7 speed. Am assuming 4th is direct drive and 5th, 6th and 7th as in the C7 are all overdrives.)

The issue that all have is it pre-places the "next gear" based on what it "assumes" you are doing. For example is accelerating in 3th it assumes the next gear desired is 4th. But if coming into a turn it will charge the gear to 2nd if it sees aggressive braking.

Have seen a stick and gate in an DCT Audi but have not driven one. Not rude, and assume the algorithms for different DCT are not all the same.

I don't think you can control the concentric clutches hydraulically anyway. Not sure if the Tremic will be two dry clutches or like some DCT wet clutch arrangements as used in an auto gear change. Rate of application in any case is probably best left to the computer control system. I was just indicating perhaps a switch, more likely none mechanical Hall sensors as used for Rev Match would be easy to implement. The Vette engineers have probably considered possible options and with 75% of the folks buying automatics who would want this feather. Perhaps extra cost options.

As my old boss would say, "I'm solving a problem not know to exist using a method known not to work!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-17-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: GM's New Patent - Manual for ME?