Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The real question is....

Old 09-28-2018, 10:47 PM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
With each generation (with th exception of the C4 in my opinion) GM has done a great job with progression of the look and interior of the corvette. Sure you might not like something on each generation, but if you put the base models next to each other the newer model makes the older model outdated. The real question is will the fit and finish be significantly improved with the C8? Personally I think my C6Z looks great. But will they finally fix (significantly improve) panel gap, orange peel, rattles, etc. that have plagued the corvette?
In short, no. They will make a car that slightly out performs the prior generation and charge you a little more for it. Sure, its my opionon but I am comfortable with it based on history.
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 02:11 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Black18Z06
In short, no. They will make a car that slightly out performs the prior generation and charge you a little more for it. Sure, its my opionon but I am comfortable with it based on history.

If you want to base your answer on history, than maybe you should actually examine it. Each Corvette generation has been better than the previous one regarding the issues mentioned, although I thought I did think the early C7's quality was not as good as the last of the C6's. They worked out the paint and panel fitment issues for the most part, and my '17 GS is as fine a car as I have ever owned, and that includes, Mercedes, Porsche, and Audi. The only car I've owned that was so shitty that it was bought back by the manufacturer was my 1995 911....and my 2013 Mercedes SL racked up $22K in repair bills in 6 months.

So if basing things on history is your touchstone, then it stands to reason that things will be improved upon with the C8, not only because of more advanced design techniques, but by implementing the latest manufacturing and assembly processes. Even year one issues will be at minimum compared to previous iterations.

Will it be perfect? No....and no car is.....but there is not doubt that no matter how good it is, there are those on this forum who will find fault with it, hate or, just disparage the car because it's in their nature to do so. These people have their own agendas and their hate is really more about themselves than the car.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 09-29-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'll just be honest here... I was not impressed at all with my 3LT interior on my C7. My GF's bottom basement Lexus 350 had a better leather interior.

This I believe is one of their weaknesses. Even when they step up they are still a long way behind.

And don't ask me about the C7 paint.

I only mention this because GM needs to step up. I hope they really do with the C8.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:14 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I love the car, and hate the poor quality. It's been 40 years since GM hired Dr. Deming to show them how to build quality cars, and they never took his advice. The big GM ship never changed course, and they still have a reputation for poor quality. When the C7 first came out, I could not believe how bad the panel gaps and paint were, and that GM actually shipped cars that looked like that. Even my C5 wasn't that bad.

Here's the real clincher. It costs less to build a high quality car where the quality is built-in from the start through engineering and manufacturing, than a low quality car. There is no excuse for GM's poor quality.

If anything sabotages the C8 from picking up customers from the European brands, it will be poor quality. I don't think the Corvette management, such as Tadge and Harlan get this. I think they believe performance and price will do the job. All you have to do is get out of your offices, and talk to people who DON'T own a Corvette.

I would like to order a 2020 C8, but, honestly, I likely will not, because of GM's poor record for quality. The C7 was just a reincarnation of the C6, and they couldn't get that right. The C8 is an entirely new car, with a new transmission. By the way, is the A8 fixed yet?
Some of regard GM as a quality manufacture. I have had nothing but good with them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...-ranked-2018-2
Old 09-30-2018, 03:43 AM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

We all nik-pik bad things about the corvette,but it is the only American car that has been manufacture for 65 years and still going strong. That tells us something aout the car...IT IS A GREAT CAR THAT PEOPLE ARE STILL BUYING.
trooper (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
With each generation (with th exception of the C4 in my opinion) GM has done a great job with progression of the look and interior of the corvette. Sure you might not like something on each generation, but if you put the base models next to each other the newer model makes the older model outdated. The real question is will the fit and finish be significantly improved with the C8? Personally I think my C6Z looks great. But will they finally fix (significantly improve) panel gap, orange peel, rattles, etc. that have plagued the corvette?
Much of the issue involves the ping and pangs of mass production. The progression is due in large part to progress in the technology of engineering and design. The computer has done wonders for tightening tolerances and identifying stress points and such. However, mass production, to levels of Corvette lends to some compromise. You see, for those folks over in Italy, who price their cars in the mid six figures and only make a relative handful to every 1000 Corvettes, the use of ultra premium materials, hand crafted bezels is possible simply because their producers and suppliers can do it. But when you're talking about producing these parts in the tens of thousands, the logistics change a bit. Now, combine that with amount of time and resources used to develop and build the outstanding powertrain and suspension for the Corvette, which performs on a par level, and in many cases better than those mid six figure cars for a mere fraction of that cost, and something has to give. I'm not apologizing at all for GM, just realizing that to put out a product like the Corvette for the price of an upper trim pick up truck, and volume in tens of thousands, there will be some give and take. (and keep in mind, that while very dated today, the interior of the early C4 was cutting edge and very relevant to the time...think Stars Wars, and you will recall the marketing of that time frame)
Old 09-30-2018, 09:36 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

I love the car, and hate the poor quality. It's been 40 years since GM hired Dr. Deming to show them how to build quality cars, and they never took his advice. The big GM ship never changed course, and they still have a reputation for poor quality. When the C7 first came out, I could not believe how bad the panel gaps and paint were, and that GM actually shipped cars that looked like that. Even my C5 wasn't that bad.

Here's the real clincher. It costs less to build a high quality car where the quality is built-in from the start through engineering and manufacturing, than a low quality car. There is no excuse for GM's poor quality.

If anything sabotages the C8 from picking up customers from the European brands, it will be poor quality. I don't think the Corvette management, such as Tadge and Harlan get this. I think they believe performance and price will do the job. All you have to do is get out of your offices, and talk to people who DON'T own a Corvette.

I would like to order a 2020 C8, but, honestly, I likely will not, because of GM's poor record for quality. The C7 was just a reincarnation of the C6, and they couldn't get that right. The C8 is an entirely new car, with a new transmission. By the way, is the A8 fixed yet?
The C7 GS is my first Corvette and the best car I've ever owned. There's nothing poor quality about it.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I didn't buy my C6 based on interior quality and I'll do the same with the C8.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

C4 hate??

The C4 was a big step in the corvette transition..

Coming out of a C3 to a C4 was a world if difference..

I had 4 C4's and even had one returned under the lemon law.

I drove the car with no worries and the only thing bad thing I remember about C4 was the tire replacement cost back then..

It was very costly in the 80's

I would never go back to a C3, but the C4 I would drive it with no problem.. Engine access was great !

I am thinking about buying one for my son so I can drive it LOL

The C4 is still one of my favorite corvettes and I own a C7 (9th vette)..
Rapid Fred (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

To you, quality is fit and finish. As an m7 guy, I will tell you my 2017 GS is quick and is as reliable as an anvil. That, to me, is quality. I think the fit and finish is fine, but that is not what I hang my hat on.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-02-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The real question is....