Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
But today the ME's sweet spot is $70-100K where bang for the buck is obvious.
That's not real sweet on my bank account. With tax and license, you are over $75K with no options.

The C7 is old. If the C8 is too expensive, I'll be looking at another brand. So will a lot of other people.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-02-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
That's not real sweet on my bank account. With tax and license, you are over $75K with no options.

The C7 is old. If the C8 is too expensive, I'll be looking at another brand. So will a lot of other people.
The current Z06 and ZR1 have proven beyond doubt that Corvette can sell cars at a price point between $75-150K. The new ME will out-perform the Z06 right out of the gate and eventually it will exceed the ZR1 too, for less money. So there will be better bang for the buck with the ME and it will beat any Porsche under $200K.

The refreshed FE will likely get the Cadillac turbo motors with 500 and 550 hp plus better fuel economy and smoothness. Those motors use the new 10 speed auto and the 7 speed manual will be available. With a price of $60-75K they will sell every one without discounts.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by B747VET
So now Corvette Forum Members directly attack McClellan and Hill. Really. These two guys did a tremendous job as the “Tadge” of their respective eras. Each also set the stage for the achievements of their successors. In case either of these two fine gentlemen are perusing this website and forum I would like to apologize for the people on here who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

name the CF members who directly attack McClellan and Hill......
Old 10-02-2018, 10:15 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

It’s the blatant dissing of their contributions to the Corvette that is disrespectful and distasteful.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

The current Z06 and ZR1 have proven beyond doubt that Corvette can sell cars at a price point between $75-150K. The new ME will out-perform the Z06 right out of the gate and eventually it will exceed the ZR1 too, for less money. So there will be better bang for the buck with the ME and it will beat any Porsche under $200K.

The refreshed FE will likely get the Cadillac turbo motors with 500 and 550 hp plus better fuel economy and smoothness. Those motors use the new 10 speed auto and the 7 speed manual will be available. With a price of $60-75K they will sell every one without discounts.
It you can't afford the big price increase, you can't afford it no matter how well it may perform. They will lose customers.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:37 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

It you can't afford the big price increase, you can't afford it no matter how well it may perform. They will lose customers.
We can all afford $60K and that will get you the FE with 500 hp Cadillac turbo V8 plus better fuel economy and smoothness. The ME is for the Z06 and ZR1 buyers, plus some Porsche guys.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:38 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
It’s the blatant dissing of their contributions to the Corvette that is disrespectful and distasteful.
I assume you're commenting on my post...
What did I say that was not 100% true?
I didn't call either guy names, I think they are fine guys who did good things. Since I never owned a C4, my comments about DM were simply me disagreeing with him. As far as C5/C6, those were Dave Hill's cars and they had ONGOING issues throughout the generation's production runs.
I bought $200,000+ worth of Dave Hill's engineering (1998/2001/2005/2008) and lived with EVERY issue (except the LS9 head debacle because I never had a C6 Z06) that I pointed out.
Now, my C7, at 4.5 years old is EASILY the MOST reliable Corvette of the 5 I've owned. Oil changes and tires are it, that could not be said for ANY of my previous Corvettes.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (10-11-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

I personally would rather see a better product with a higher price point than maintain status quo. I don’t understand the mindset of making the Corvette less than it can be for those who may no longer be able to buy a new one. There is always a used market and garage queens that will take the usual depreciation hit. The Best Bang for the Buck award that’s always hung around the Corvettes bonnet doesn’t do it for me. Offering a less expensive FE along with the ME may be the best approach if the goal is to keep its image of the blue collar sports car for the masses..
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
DaveFerrari458 (10-03-2018), skank (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:25 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

It's been said since the mules were first spotted by guys that have far reaching hooks inside like Mike furman for one example. And if you recall, he said both C7 and C8 built same time for several years.

is that true? Idk. But it would make sense since we were told they are being built alongside one another.

it makes even more sense that they would continue to make the C7 while the first couple year bugs are worked out of the C8. Demand will be high supply? Low as they control exposure. They blew it with the fiero. Chevy and Corvette for that matter isnt going to make another fiero disaster (cutting corners for the accountants) and to be profitable maybe they need the lower priced C7s to fill a need/gap?

fun times ahead...

not sure if you saw my Carlisle post but a guy in the know, a higher up, told me when I asked "if I wanted an FE Corvette in 3 or 4 years could I buy a new one?" His answer "I cant say that"... said it with a real hesitation like letting me down easy lol.

But he did reassure me the C8 fits two golf bags in the cargo area - which my concern was having next to nothing to make a trek like Carlisle as i do in my C7 with huge cargo capacity. Something forgotten about whenever you see the comparos. Real world livability so to speak with supercar performance nothing better in the world at both. NOTHING.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-02-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpriceslc
Once the C8 mid-engine Corvette is announced in January of 2019 at the Detroit Auto Show (and no, it won't be announced anywhere else or at any other time), front-engine C7 Corvette's will end production shortly thereafter and from that point forward only the C8 mid-engine Corvette will be produced. Period. End of story.
That's what I have been thinking too! The '19 C7 built till March of '19 then gearing up for production 2020 C8 in September of '19. Also believe the Detroit auto show in January would be a great time and place to unveil the C8 ME.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:21 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

We can all afford $60K and that will get you the FE with 500 hp Cadillac turbo V8 plus better fuel economy and smoothness. The ME is for the Z06 and ZR1 buyers, plus some Porsche guys.
I don't think it matters what engine is in the FE, people are losing interest, myself included. Sales are down. We still have '17s on the lots. If people are going to spend $60K, they want something fresh and new. I would probably buy a low option Cayman. With that strategy, they may lose Corvette buyers for life.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:23 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
That's what I have been thinking too! The '19 C7 built till March of '19 then gearing up for production 2020 C8 in September of '19. Also believe the Detroit auto show in January would be a great time and place to unveil the C8 ME.
I like the idea of the LA Auto Show. The sooner the better. More people, bigger market, lots of potential import buyer converts. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I live in the LA area.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:30 AM
Jorge_C6_C4
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I assume you're commenting on my post...
What did I say that was not 100% true?
I didn't call either guy names, I think they are fine guys who did good things. Since I never owned a C4, my comments about DM were simply me disagreeing with him. As far as C5/C6, those were Dave Hill's cars and they had ONGOING issues throughout the generation's production runs.
I bought $200,000+ worth of Dave Hill's engineering (1998/2001/2005/2008) and lived with EVERY issue (except the LS9 head debacle because I never had a C6 Z06) that I pointed out.
Now, my C7, at 4.5 years old is EASILY the MOST reliable Corvette of the 5 I've owned. Oil changes and tires are it, that could not be said for ANY of my previous Corvettes.
You need to call a spade a spade. Dave Hill treated his engineering team like garbage. The vast majority hated him. Combine that with the flaws of the C5/C6 and his legacy as a chief engineer is pretty awful. As much as people on this forum like to rag on Tadge, he is the one that should be given the credit for keeping things together and for the successes of those generations.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Ummm ok! Good luck finding another car that looks as good and performs as good for anything close to what the C7 or C8 may cost! And I'm pretty confident that if Corvette loses their tiny minority of "car poor" buyers due to higher prices, they will gain some new buyers on the other end.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:41 AM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't care ME or FE. I would love to see a light weight variant track car to be the end all for once like Dodge did with the ACR.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:44 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

I personally would rather see a better product with a higher price point than maintain status quo. I don’t understand the mindset of making the Corvette less than it can be for those who may no longer be able to buy a new one. There is always a used market and garage queens that will take the usual depreciation hit. The Best Bang for the Buck award that’s always hung around the Corvettes bonnet doesn’t do it for me. Offering a less expensive FE along with the ME may be the best approach if the goal is to keep its image of the blue collar sports car for the masses..
THIS!!

Although I always scratch my head when someone that calls a toy that averages probably around $75K "blue collar" lol. It's funny when someone drives a $55K daily driver like something like a Jaguar XF or Mercedes E Class their looked at upper-middle class to affluent but when someone buys a higher priced Corvette it's something else lol.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:25 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Corvette and GM have almost never understood long term marketing strategy.

Corvettes typical generation marketing cycle...

1st year: sales for previous gen almost disappear in spite of steep discounts and a bonus model with unique performance and/or looks. New car basically debuts at sticker price and the first few hundreds or thousands often go at a premium. Sales volume is usually quite high.

2nd year - 3rd year: assuming 1st year buyers express general happiness, sales volumes continue apace often with a slight increase in year 2 and a slight decrease in year 3.

In year 3-4 they bring some increases in power or handling and maybe some new jazzy body parts.

In years 4-5 or 4-6, the sales volumes measurably decrease and the discounts measurably increase.

In year 5 as sales begin to plummet further, they start to flood the market with rumors about the next “generation.” Which causes sales to plummet even further and discounts to flow like water. Then in about year 6 or 7 they launch the new generation and the cycle starts anew.

If Corvette launches parallel FE & ME lines in 2019-2020 and actually gives each car or level of car within those respective lines a named designation and finally ends the extremely limiting and self defeating generational designations they can stop the cyclical extremes and launch improvements to each line or sub-line car as the market for each car dictates.

Corvettes currently sell for from low $40’s to mid $80’s and then higher performance cars run from mid $70’s to low $100’s with very high end cars now running low $100’s to about $145ish.

Anyone who believes that Corvette can ignore the base price ranges of mid $40’s to mid $60’s with impunity and completely eliminate the cargo and road trip capabilities of the FE coupes simply doesn’t comprehend the Corvette historical marketplace and the true nature of the fragility of Corvette survival within GM.

As Edmunds and other reviewers have said for many years, the Corvette family of vehicles represents “unbeatable performance for the price”, “excellent entry level pricing”, “the coupes generous cargo space”, and “comfortable cruiser”. Again, anyone who believes that Corvette can abandon anywhere from 2-3 of those traditional Corvette marketing standards without endangering the survival of the Corvette, simply doesn’t get it. Corvette survival it is not about what the high perfromance street nuts want, it is not about what the track nuts want, and it is not about what the ”I can afford anything” elitists want.

Rather, it is about what the base car Corvette buyers want and how to attract more of them, not less of them.

Last edited by B747VET; 10-03-2018 at 02:29 PM.
skank (10-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine

Old 10-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
THIS!!

Although I always scratch my head when someone that calls a toy that averages probably around $75K "blue collar" lol. It's funny when someone drives a $55K daily driver like something like a Jaguar XF or Mercedes E Class their looked at upper-middle class to affluent but when someone buys a higher priced Corvette it's something else lol.
I agree with your comment above. What’s interesting is that half ton pickups cost 55k-65k plus and HD pickups can easily be over $70k. They surpass the cost of many BMW’s and MB’s and every small farming community to city is full of them. Most would call them blue collar as well. However, I agree it’s not really the same as a non-practical two seat sports car. Anyone who can truly afford a new Corvette does very well by most people’s standards and they are terrific cars. I just wonder how much better they could be if GM raised the price and quality another $15k-$20k over current pricing. Still would be a terrific bargain in the arena they compete against. In summary, I hope the difference between the C7 and C8 is as substantial as the step between the C6 and C7.....if not more so.
skank (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 PM
ToQuick
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading this I think the ME car will just be another choice in buying a Corvette. Im guessing there will be a C8 mid engine and in a couple of years a C8 front engine car. Dave Hill pretty much said it plain as day that the Front engine Corvette is the most ideal platform as a multi use sports car. What I see happening there will be two kinds of Corvettes The front engine cars will be the Stingray and Grand Sport while the mid engine cars will take the place of the Z06 and Zr1.
The reference to the base price of the M/E to be around 80K puts it smack in the Z06 of today's price point. Its all there Gentlemen you just have to read between the lines and fill in the blanks a little.
vndkshn (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 03:31 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ToQuick
After reading this I think the ME car will just be another choice in buying a Corvette. Im guessing there will be a C8 mid engine and in a couple of years a C8 front engine car. Dave Hill pretty much said it plain as day that the Front engine Corvette is the most ideal platform as a multi use sports car. What I see happening there will be two kinds of Corvettes The front engine cars will be the Stingray and Grand Sport while the mid engine cars will take the place of the Z06 and Zr1.
The reference to the base price of the M/E to be around 80K puts it smack in the Z06 of today's price point. Its all there Gentlemen you just have to read between the lines and fill in the blanks a little.
Yup, all valid points. Although I am not sure why you think there will be a two year gap in the FE car's production. GM would be leaving a lot of money on the table without the FE in production.

Quick Reply: McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine