Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
Anyone who believes that Corvette can ignore and completely eliminate the cargo and road trip capabilities of the FE coupes, simply doesn’t comprehend the Corvette historical marketplace and the true nature of the fragility of Corvette survival within GM.
Please show me the basis for the conclusion that the the 2020 ME Corvette is going to “completely eliminate the cargo and road trip capabilities of the FE coupes.”

The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
fasttoys (10-03-2018), Shaka (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by ToQuick
After reading this I think the ME car will just be another choice in buying a Corvette. Im guessing there will be a C8 mid engine and in a couple of years a C8 front engine car. Dave Hill pretty much said it plain as day that the Front engine Corvette is the most ideal platform as a multi use sports car. What I see happening there will be two kinds of Corvettes The front engine cars will be the Stingray and Grand Sport while the mid engine cars will take the place of the Z06 and Zr1.
The reference to the base price of the M/E to be around 80K puts it smack in the Z06 of today's price point. Its all there Gentlemen you just have to read between the lines and fill in the blanks a little.
I've been saying the exact same thing since the first spy shots surfaced. There wouldn't be any other reason to reconfigure Bowling Green to build different models on the same line.
The following users liked this post:
vndkshn (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 03:41 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Please show me the basis for the conclusion that the the 2020 ME Corvette is going to “completely eliminate the cargo and road trip capabilities of the FE coupes.”

The basis is the purpose and logic of the ME which is designed to be an uncompromising track car that can beat anything under $200K. As a track car, the Zora has no need for cargo space or road trip capability. It is the replacement for the Z06 and ultimately the ZR1, both of which have excess cargo space. The FE Stingray and GS will have cargo space and fuel economy for road trips. Something for everyone.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:50 PM
ToQuick
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Read what Dave hill says about the front engine platform, He says this in a round about way that the F/E design is best for trips and every day use over a M/E design its all there read between the lines the Boys are giving us a lot of clues here.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
I agree with your comment above. What’s interesting is that half ton pickups cost 55k-65k plus and HD pickups can easily be over $70k. They surpass the cost of many BMW’s and MB’s and every small farming community to city is full of them. Most would call them blue collar as well. However, I agree it’s not really the same as a non-practical two seat sports car. so.
Haha. I don't know where you live, but where I live, pickup trucks seem to be more of a symbol of status than being used for what they originally were designed for. Most trucks I see usually carry one person, you hardly ever see them with anything in the bed and most seemingly don't come factory standard with a gas pedal or a way to navigate out of the left lane. Sheesh. So, I don't know if you'd call them practical.
That being said, what that article says to me is this, either the former Corvette bosses know what's going on with the mid engine and are acting like they only have ideas based on the past, or they don't know jack and are spreading disinformation. And all this " I know but can't say how because........" blah. Until it happens it haven't happened. And so far it hasn't happened.
In two years I'll finally be able to afford a new corvette. I'm hoping it'll be one of these new fangled mid engine dealies. But all I know is my cap will be 70,000.00$. So, if they are priced over that with no FE to fall back on, I'll be getting a nice C7 garage queen. Bummer.
Reading all these posts is fun.
It's especially neat to see all the people that complain and complain about something that we can't see in full light.
But then again, these same folks would bitch if their ice cream was cold.

L8erT8erz
Old 10-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by ToQuick
Read what Dave hill says about the front engine platform, He says this in a round about way that the F/E design is best for trips and every day use over a M/E design its all there read between the lines the Boys are giving us a lot of clues here.
I have a frunk on my 2017 911S and it still holds an amazing amount of cargo. Granted, not as much as my C7 did but plenty. However, the 911 has more overall than a true ME design due to the back seats that will lay down.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:04 PM
ToQuick
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
The basis is the purpose and logic of the ME which is designed to be an uncompromising track car that can beat anything under $200K. As a track car, the Zora has no need for cargo space or road trip capability. It is the replacement for the Z06 and ultimately the ZR1, both of which have excess cargo space. The FE Stingray and GS will have cargo space and fuel economy for road trips. Something for everyone.
Exactly!! The C7 will go on for a few more years until they modernize the F/E platform and at that point it will become the F/E C8.
skank (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:04 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

All of this remains to be seen. There are several mentions by all three of the past engineers that have other thoughts. Tom Wallace, the most recent past chief engineer:

My amateur racing experience taught me how hard it was to beat rear-engined Porsches on the track, so I was an early adopter. And Tadge Juechter’s point of view was that since we’ve tried everything else, we really needed to pursue a mid-engine design. Knowing that the Corvette customer base was aging, marketing was definitely on board with any idea that might attract younger buyers. - Tom Wallace

Younger buyers may be more prone to the track but at the same time, they are more prone to having a family too. Hence the need for, and, the apparent satisfaction of, storage space in the ME. Evidence is the rear deck/hatch. There is a lot more room under that expansive hatch then just an engine will fill. That's where the appeal to the "aging Customer base" is: golf clubs and luggage.

And Dave McLellan went one statement further and suggested new things were stirring in Bowling Green.

I’m not sure if they’re moving or merely broadening the market for Corvettes. - Dave McLellan

He continued to say:

The major investments in the Bowling Green manufacturing facilities, including a new world-class paint shop and a reconfigured assembly line, prove that there is now solid financial support for new Corvettes. Clearly, the corporation and Chevrolet are up to something very special for this car that wasn’t previously in the cards.- Dave McLellan

Dave Hill said it out loud when speaking about manual transmissions in the mix of what their take on customer's desires were:

They wanted a well-built car free of squeaks and rattles. Our studies revealed that Corvette owners prized attractive convertibles that were great to be seen in. It’s important to feed their egos. We also learned that enthusiasm for manual transmissions was fading. - Dave Hill

All this tells me that the engineers know more then they let on to us in day to day existence. Frankly there is no reason for Tadge to render his thoughts and opinions on a forum but this article surely suggests he is thinking hard about what he's giving the public and prior engneers thought equally hard about it.

Last edited by ltomn; 10-03-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I just read this article....outstanding!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Hmm. This would suggest the C7 is going to get long in the tooth on design (at minimum, as long as the C6 was around); something Tadge swore he wouldn't let happen again. . .

I'm in no place to doubt what these guys are saying but for some reason, am still dubious.

That stated, it was also mentioned this car would debut before 2019, more specifically at the LA auto show. . . So in two months we can test how credible their information is

SUPPPPPER EXCITED. . .

Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
All of this remains to be seen. There are several mentions by all three of the past engineers that have other thoughts. Tom Wallace, the most recent past chief engineer:

My amateur racing experience taught me how hard it was to beat rear-engined Porsches on the track, so I was an early adopter. And Tadge Juechter’s point of view was that since we’ve tried everything else, we really needed to pursue a mid-engine design. Knowing that the Corvette customer base was aging, marketing was definitely on board with any idea that might attract younger buyers. - Tom Wallace

Younger buyers may be more prone to the track but at the same time, they are more prone to having a family too. Hence the need for, and, the apparent satisfaction of, storage space in the ME. Evidence is the rear deck/hatch. There is a lot more room under that expansive hatch then just an engine will fill. That's where the appeal to the "aging Customer base" is: golf clubs and luggage.

And Dave McLellan went one statement further and suggested new things were stirring in Bowling Green.

I’m not sure if they’re moving or merely broadening the market for Corvettes. - Dave McLellan

He continued to say:

The major investments in the Bowling Green manufacturing facilities, including a new world-class paint shop and a reconfigured assembly line, prove that there is now solid financial support for new Corvettes. Clearly, the corporation and Chevrolet are up to something very special for this car that wasn’t previously in the cards.- Dave McLellan

Dave Hill said it out loud when speaking about manual transmissions in the mix of what their take on customer's desires were:

They wanted a well-built car free of squeaks and rattles. Our studies revealed that Corvette owners prized attractive convertibles that were great to be seen in. It’s important to feed their egos. We also learned that enthusiasm for manual transmissions was fading. - Dave Hill

All this tells me that the engineers know more then they let on to us in day to day existence. Frankly there is no reason for Tadge to render his thoughts and opinions on a forum but this article surely suggests he is thinking hard about what he's giving the public and prior engneers thought equally hard about it.
One Corvette that does it all? So the new ME will be able to beat any other car under $200K on the track while also being a road car that has cargo space for two people for two weeks, gets good fuel economy and is comfortable to drive long distances. This new Zora will also offer a true convertible and a manual transmission all at a $60K starting price. They will have to change the name to Unicorn.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:16 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

This new Zora will also offer a true convertible and a manual transmission all at a $60K starting price. They will have to change the name to Unicorn.
Ain't that the truth!!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
Haha. I don't know where you live, but where I live, pickup trucks seem to be more of a symbol of status than being used for what they originally were designed for. Most trucks I see usually carry one person, you hardly ever see them with anything in the bed and most seemingly don't come factory standard with a gas pedal or a way to navigate out of the left lane. Sheesh. So, I don't know if you'd call them practical.
That being said, what that article says to me is this, either the former Corvette bosses know what's going on with the mid engine and are acting like they only have ideas based on the past, or they don't know jack and are spreading disinformation. And all this " I know but can't say how because........" blah. Until it happens it haven't happened. And so far it hasn't happened.
In two years I'll finally be able to afford a new corvette. I'm hoping it'll be one of these new fangled mid engine dealies. But all I know is my cap will be 70,000.00$. So, if they are priced over that with no FE to fall back on, I'll be getting a nice C7 garage queen. Bummer.
Reading all these posts is fun.
It's especially neat to see all the people that complain and complain about something that we can't see in full light.
But then again, these same folks would bitch if their ice cream was cold.

L8erT8erz
I live in a small farming community where trucks literally out number cars, but I agree with your comment on city trucks. I personally have a $63k 2019 GMC SLT scheduled to arrive in 2-3 days and I just like having a truck. The truck gets used like a city truck plus occasional use on my enclosed car hauler.....so I get it. I am happy for you that you are getting closer to getting a new Corvette. You will love it! Truly awesome cars. None of us have crystal *****, but I feel confident you will be able to easily purchase a new c8 for under $70k if you give them a year for discounts to kick in. Very exciting and fun to look forward too.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

SO...
I am still NOT convinced that the FE is dead once the ME is intro'd. The sports car market is shrinking. I'm not sure that it's realistic to expect 30,000+ sales a year from one chassis anymore. Now, do the ME and a couple of years later, come out with a refreshed FE and really make it GT. All the luxury, bells and whistles, etc.

I have NO information about the above, just one man's thoughts.
vndkshn (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Hillbilly65
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I was in Bowlingreen this weekend. I talked to the guy that hauls off the plant trash. He got it on good authority that there will definitely be two Covettes. One will be a C8 ME for the tack guys. It will be called a Cor Vette
The other will be an FE for the guys who like to use there’s for trips or groceries or what ever.
This one will be called a Che Vette.

lol
life is to short to get all worked up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hillbilly65:
Michael A (10-03-2018), vndkshn (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:29 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kingpin111
I don't care ME or FE. I would love to see a light weight variant track car to be the end all for once like Dodge did with the ACR.
Sadly, people like you (and I'm like that too) are very few in numbers. Not worth it to produce such a vehicle, unless the "regular" C8 Corvette is a smashing sales success that GM will have spare cash to develop this lightweight animal.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:25 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

First I have to get this off my chest unfortunately the FE is dead gone by by for now. GM can not afford to make both cars it’s not going to happen way to risky. Another point just because a car is an ME doesn’t make it a dedicated track car. My Audi R8 manual was a better long trip car than my manual 2015 Z06. Cargo space was less but if I had to drive one daily the R8 would be my choice all day long. Look at the test cars they are not the Z06 replacements it’s so simple to tell, they are the base ME which will replace the base C7 for now. The Z06 ME will be more aggressive powered by an Overhead Cam Motor which is not in the cars testing today. We are 3 months from reveal unless they show it sooner. If I am wrong in less then 4 months come back to this post and blast away. But I know I am right or I would not be so confident.

Last edited by fasttoys; 10-03-2018 at 09:49 PM.
elegant (10-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine

Old 10-03-2018, 09:27 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

First I have to get this off my chest unfortunately the FE is dead gone by by for now. GM can not afford to make both cars it’s not going to happen way to risky. Another point just because a car is an ME doesn’t make it a dedicated track car. My Audi R8 manual was a better long trip car than my manual 2015 Z06. Cargo space was less but if I had to drive one daily the R8 would be my choice all day long. Look at the test cars they are not the Z06 replacements it’s so simple to tell, they are the base ME which will replace the base C7 for now. The Z06 ME will be more aggressive powered by an Overhead Cam Motor which is not in the cars testing today. We are 3 months from reveal unless they show it sooner. If I am wrong in less then 4 months come back to this post and blast away. But I know I am right or I would not be so confident.
You won’t be wrong ,
nice post.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Ummm ok! Good luck finding another car that looks as good and performs as good for anything close to what the C7 or C8 may cost! And I'm pretty confident that if Corvette loses their tiny minority of "car poor" buyers due to higher prices, they will gain some new buyers on the other end.
Ummmm ok! Good luck finding all these rich Ferrari owners to replace the "car poor" Corvette buyers, you so disrespectfully call them, when base Stingray buyers amounted to 42% of the Corvette buyers (over 13,000 buyers) in model year 2017.

By the way, the base Stingray buyers are not a "tiny minority" as you call them, but rather the largest group of Corvette buyers.

My only question is how you see when driving down the road with your nose so high in the air.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

One Corvette that does it all? So the new ME will be able to beat any other car under $200K on the track while also being a road car that has cargo space for two people for two weeks, gets good fuel economy and is comfortable to drive long distances. This new Zora will also offer a true convertible and a manual transmission all at a $60K starting price. They will have to change the name to Unicorn.
They’re debuting the next generation Corvette by mid January,it will have a starting price somewhere in the mid 60’s...don’t put words in people’s mouth,of course a convertible will cost extra,and of course they’ll be plenty of option packages.

Nothing wrong with backpedaling .

Quick Reply: McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine