Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine

Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
What. Is. That. FOR?
See 113 and 116. The mounts and this link oppose forces caused by accelerating the mass (G loads) on a horizontal plane on the longitudinal axis. The link handles excessive loads including frontal impact also on one plane. See video for the functioning of the 4 MR mounts. Ignore SKANKS comments. The Ferrari's gearbox mount also takes vertical loads. .

Last edited by Shaka; 10-10-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:56 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I don't know how many more times I have to acknowledge the 4 mounts on the subframe. I don't know why you keep going back to that. Now, I'll ask again...what's the round thing on top for? Sure as **** looks like a fifth, vertical mount to me. Or maybe you can ignore my question yet again and instead give us some long winded self congratulatory essay explaining you divined the supplier, the manufacturing location, the specific design release engineers, and how those 'discoveries' reveal GMs choices on everything from alignment specs to button finishes...all from one fuzzy, incomplete CAD leak.

BTW, I passed my middle school drafting class with minimal effort. Early. I worked with the teacher to get all the assignments ahead of time, completed them in half the semester, and spent the other half working in the computer lab.
I'm glad you didn't flunk your class. Congratulations !
Old 10-10-2018, 04:51 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Ummm ok! Good luck finding another car that looks as good and performs as good for anything close to what the C7 or C8 may cost! And I'm pretty confident that if Corvette loses their tiny minority of "car poor" buyers due to higher prices, they will gain some new buyers on the other end.
Exactly, they will gain buyers on the other end for sure. I’ve driven plenty of new cars off the lots in my time but I’ve never owned a Corvette new or used. The fact that they are FINALLY coming out with a ME design has me seriously interested in Corvette for the first time.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
See 113 and 116. The mounts and this link oppose forces caused by accelerating the mass (G loads) on a horizontal plane on the longitudinal axis. The link handles excessive loads including frontal impact also on one plane. See video for the functioning of the 4 MR mounts. Ignore SKANKS comments. The Ferrari's gearbox mount also takes vertical loads. .
While I suppose it could do that, I'm not buying it.

The entire powertrain for the 918 Spyder hangs from the car's carbon structure. There are no mounts underneath it, at all. ZF co-developed the PDK with Porsche. To date, the only non-Porsche car they've used it in is the new Continental GT, which shares the VW MSB platform with the new Porsche Panamera. They're keeping it in the family, so to speak. This particular variant, was developed specifically for Porsche's ultimate flagship. The mounting system in particular is unique to the 918. I am extremely skeptical that this tightly held piece of high end engineering is suddenly going to show up, nearly unchanged, in a GM product. I could almost buy it if it only had two traditional powertrain mounts under the engine block. The 458/488 uses that arrangement. Two under the engine, one on top of the transaxle. But four under the powertrain, with a fifth on top? That's extremely odd. It's also notable that the Tremec model doesn't seem to have that fifth mount.

So not only is GM is going to get this unicorn transmission that nobody outside of the VW family has previously had access to, but they're then going use that very unique Porsche mounting system for a completely different purpose?

Something about this just doesn't smell right.

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterp...category=20118

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015...#slide-3092698

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
Shaka (04-04-2019), vndkshn (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET

Anyone who believes that Corvette can ignore the base price ranges of mid $40’s to mid $60’s with impunity and completely eliminate the cargo and road trip capabilities of the FE coupes simply doesn’t comprehend the Corvette historical marketplace and the true nature of the fragility of Corvette survival within GM.
1. There is nothing inherent to the ME design that requires a massive price increase.
2. The C8's cargo space will be superior to that of the C7.

There's no need for a FE Corvette now since the Camaro has already slid into the market segment previously inhabited by earlier generation Corvettes with models like the 2SS 1LE and the ZL1. We'll soon see a greater emphasis on the Camaro, with a new generation that embodies some of the classic FE Corvette character.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Say members, how do you suggest I respond to this post? Why is he talking about a P918? Should I be rude. Should I be kind? Am I missing something?
What's this got to do with a C8? Is he acting stupid. Is he stupid? I don't know what to do.. Help. Help me.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Say members, how do you suggest I respond to this post? Why is he talking about a P918? Should I be rude. Should I be kind? Am I missing something?
What's this got to do with a C8? Is he acting stupid. Is he stupid? I don't know what to do.. Help. Help me.
Be all you can be Shaka ...
make it worth our click ,and give us some of that pure unfiltered Shaka .
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The C8's cargo space will be superior to that of the C7.
Of course it will because the C8 will actually be Dr. Who's new TARDIS!

From Wikipedia "while the exterior is of limited size, the TARDIS is much "bigger on the inside," containing an apparently infinite number of rooms, corridors and storage spaces within".
Old 10-11-2018, 08:35 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Now that we've established that the same ZF DCT/Transaxle that's shown on the Zerv leaked CAD views in Post #97 and Post #120 is indeed the same unit that's on the Porsche 918. I have also verified that with a member of the Porsche 918 development team( I can PM his information to anyone if needed). I discussed this DCT at length with him and he verified that the 918 engine and DCT/Transaxle was hung on 3 locations of the tub. The round mount on top of the ZF DCT is only a standard rubber composition mount. In fact all three mounts are only standard rubber composition mounts. The Zerv Leaked views clearly show four magnetorheological engine mounts under the C8 engine and DCT/Transaxle which is a far more advanced system than used on the 918. MR engine mounts control position of engine and vibration control far better than any traditional engine mounts. We discussed the possibility that ZF would develop that DCT with a new case design reconfigured eliminating that unnecessary DCT mount and adding two new locations under the DCT to match the MR mount locationss. He said that would be likely the best solution.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Now that makes complete sense! The top vertical mount will be history and the Corvette C8, as expected, will have a ZF transmission. This car is going to be fantastic!!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Ltomn, most likely the ZF's will only be on the DOHC engines and not the base engine which could have the manual transmission that's been purported. By the way Porsche has this ZF transmission replacement cost as $69,239.00. Look at the screen shots of the price lists.

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/po...list-revealed/

Last edited by skank; 10-11-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 PM
ltomn
Pro

OK, boys! What’s that suggest the price of this car is going to be?? Still thinking $70k??? NOT!!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ltomn
OK, boys! What’s that suggest the price of this car is going to be?? Still thinking $70k??? NOT!!
Please,you go first.
Give us an estimate of your la la land Corvette.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 PM
ltomn
Pro

Base model, with an OHV LT2 engine - $80k-$90k optioning up to $130k.

Subsequent models, 4.2 lt. DOHC engine could start around $110k and option up to $150k

The 5.5 DOHC might start around $140k and option up to $180k.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

It’s looking like we’re getting a mid engine corvette starting price between 65-70k.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:45 PM
ltomn
Pro

You simply are not going to get the technological advancements that we’re discussing for $70k. If all you want is the body and engine placement, you may get one in the $80’s. But it seems very likely that you will have to pony up for the great car that we’re eluding to.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ltomn
You simply are not going to get the technological advancements that we’re discussing for $70k. If all you want is the body and engine placement, you may get one in the $80’s. But it seems very likely that you will have to pony up for the great car that we’re eluding to.
We’re so close to the debut,it’s not even worth an argument .

Get notified of new replies

To McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine

Old 10-11-2018, 10:54 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

I was under the impression that the C8 DCT will be built by Tremec (possibly under license from ZF).
Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Now that we've established that the same ZF DCT/Transaxle that's shown on the Zerv leaked CAD views in Post #97 and Post #120 is indeed the same unit that's on the Porsche 918. I have also verified that with a member of the Porsche 918 development team( I can PM his information to anyone if needed). I discussed this DCT at length with him and he verified that the 918 engine and DCT/Transaxle was hung on 3 locations of the tub. The round mount on top of the ZF DCT is only a standard rubber composition mount. In fact all three mounts are only standard rubber composition mounts. The Zerv Leaked views clearly show four magnetorheological engine mounts under the C8 engine and DCT/Transaxle which is a far more advanced system than used on the 918. MR engine mounts control position of engine and vibration control far better than any traditional engine mounts. We discussed the possibility that ZF would develop that DCT with a new case design reconfigured eliminating that unnecessary DCT mount and adding two new locations under the DCT to match the MR mount locationss. He said that would be likely the best solution.
So in a nutshell, there's a strong possibility that this CAD leak was a very, very early iteration. Coarse packaging geometry rather than fine grained production-intent math. That vertical mount not only is not a "longitudinal damper", but it's just a simple rubber powertrain mount. One that was meant specifically for the 918, and it'll be exorcised as ZF and GM adapt create a modified housing specific to the GM ME chassis.

I still find it odd that a direct competitor to the 911 will be the first vehicle outside the Porsche/VW family to get this transaxle, but that's a lot more believable than some of the other bullshit that's been posted around here.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:02 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"I still find it odd that a direct competitor to the 911 will be the first vehicle outside the Porsche/VW family to get this transaxle, but that's a lot more believable than some of the other bullshit that's been posted around here."

I could be wrong but I think besides the 4+3 Doug Nash trans for the Corvette, the first six speed manual was in a '89 Corvette made by ZF of Germany. I think the first Porsche that had a six speed was the 993 of '94 but I could be wrong about the year.
The following users liked this post:
skank (10-12-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLellan, Hill & Wallace talks Mid Engine