Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDR Needs Updating for C8

Old 10-09-2018, 01:17 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The PDR was designed... Like 12 years ago now? It really isn't that bad all things considered. And implementing any design change to a non essential part of anything is pretty freaking hard at any company. The gopro hero3 just came out in 2012 and it was ~$500... For a 12 mp sensor and HD. The first HD gopro was...2009 or something like that. All things considered, it really isn't that bad. And 2 years into the C8 run you all will scream "why isn't PDR 8k, it needs updating!!!!"

When you get something on a vehicle, the product you get was at least in existence for ~5 years. The shear amount of testing required means it has to be, that is why NAV units on anything are crap right out of the box. And judging by the broken timeline (Bankruptcy), the C7 was probably originally supposed to come into production about 3 years earlier than it did. GM tries to keep a 6 or 7 year life cycle on vehicles.... Doesn't always go that way but they try. Keeping those two bits of information in mind it actually would have been pretty good in 2012. That is just my theory though...
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-15-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017C7
Overlay is not there but it is still recording ALL data as evidenced in Cosworth Toolbox.
Thanks for the clariification.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Again the resolution is fine for what the PDR is intended for. Any added resolution requires bandwidth that can better be used gathering data from the car not making a video seem better. What I find interesting is the comment about the 4K TV. When I watch a 4K TV with 1080P video (which that or lower resolution programs are almost all that can be found) being displayed I see the same quality picture as if I was watching the same video on a 1080P TV. If you think you see something better you are fooling yourself. You can't see it if it isn't there.

Bill
Old 10-15-2018, 04:22 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Again the resolution is fine for what the PDR is intended for. Any added resolution requires bandwidth that can better be used gathering data from the car not making a video seem better. What I find interesting is the comment about the 4K TV. When I watch a 4K TV with 1080P video (which that or lower resolution programs are almost all that can be found) being displayed I see the same quality picture as if I was watching the same video on a 1080P TV. If you think you see something better you are fooling yourself. You can't see it if it isn't there.

Bill
I can certainly see the difference between 1080p video and PDR.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 PM
2017C7
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

Why only 4k? 8k is already out and in 5 years people will be complaining that they can't stand having to watch their dash am video in only 4k. Maybe we can use 1 TB microSD cards also.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017C7
Why only 4k? 8k is already out and in 5 years people will be complaining that they can't stand having to watch their dash am video in only 4k. Maybe we can use 1 TB microSD cards also.
Sarcasm does not fix the poor video quality of the PDR.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

I think the issue is less about resolution and more about contrast, color accuracy, and potentially framerate and/or response time.

Could probably make improvements to some of those areas without affecting the overall resolution and still get significantly better overall image quality

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 10-15-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Al@MatickChevy
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The camera really doesn't need anymore resolution for what it used for. What they need to do is to improve the brightness control of the recorded picture so the picture doesn't go black when the car goes from a bright area to a shadow area. They also need to incorporate more data channels into the data stream. It would be nice if it recorded boost pressure, intake manifold air temperature and intercooler pump status.

Bill
Agreed on all points!!! IAT1 and 2 are huge for us boosted guys. The IC pump would be a huge bonus. Have you explored Pi Toolbox for further data analysis? It's a free cosworth application. It's a little punchy but it does work.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Al@MatickChevy
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Let's be honest with ourselves, if the new car is as amazing as the internet makes it look and sound, I have a really hard time thinking that the PDR will be untouched. It's due for an upgrade in hardware and data collection. Having all of the CAN bus wide open should let them go as far as they want with it. The camera needs work in the dynamic range for sure. I care more about data than video but it would be nice if there was a substantive gain in both areas.
ArmchairArchitect (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

PDR tech is so outdated...literally like something from the pre-smartphone era. FFS, the current system requires me to drive to a Chevy dealer for a firmware update to fix the video's color balance!

What if they interfaced the on board PDR with a smartphone/tablet app that can be updated. Then all the car needs on board is video, sensors, and data streams. The app creates the UX/UI and is updated every year. Since the app would record all the data streams, the final recording can be overlayed with any and all possible parameters. Include a Windows/macOS app for a few hundred bucks for even more powerful analysis.
Michael A (10-17-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDR Needs Updating for C8