Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Vertical doors...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

I always cringe just a bit, whenever I see any FE Corvette with aftermarket Lambo-style doors installed, but for a ME car, they tend to look/work much better design-wise. It absolutely wouldn't surprise me to see regular swing out doors on the ME Corvette (even if only for cost and utility reasons alone), but I also believe that a factory vertical door wouldn't look too bad either on the ME car.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:13 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Why are people still posting?

1. Tadge specifically answered this question at the Bash last year. As long as he's around the Corvette will never have vertical lift doors. He views them as gimicky and they don't do well in day to day use. His example was when it's raining... you lift the door and all that water goes into the car.

2. Every mule has regular doors... every singe one.

/Thread
Old 03-06-2019, 08:51 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i think it is possible that the door will go outward slightly in conventional sense, before it OPTIONALLY goes up.

I don't believe this would put water in the car. I also keep stressing, the OPTIONAL part. Im well aware Tadge said he hates the doors. Meanwhile, i guarantee that cars like the Aria, whos doors go up, have had rave reviews by focus/test groups... that if a car was 100 grand, would the people buy it, and i guarantee the MAJORITY of those people answered "yes, they like the vertical doors for 100 grand.

OPTIONAL. optional.

Why else do you think the door needs a motor? You think people need to have a motor to run their sharp triangle door handle into the guy next to them? Its because they will be fighting gravity. Motor. Patent with corvette photos in the background. Upward. Fighting gravity upward. OPTIONAL. Rocket science. And Tadge and his buddies don't have to open the door upward

Do i think it will be on the base car? perhaps not. WIll it be revealed by the time their zr1 is launched? absolutely.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-06-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

If "OPTIONAL" means some aftermarket company(s) will peddle cobbled together hinges that'll make a door that was never designed to operate that way go vertical.. Probably so.
A Chevrolet factory option? No way in hell.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Nothing says cheese more effectively than vertical doors on a Chevrolet.
The following users liked this post:
Ram907 (04-12-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

im not saying it is my preference they go upward, i am saying, if someone told me to stake a bet on will there be vertical doors on the c8 vettes higher up models, my answer would be "yes there will"

You guys still are ignoring the main point... why does chevy need a motor to make the sharp edged doors open outward and put door dings in peoples cars next to the vette in the parking lot?

Genuinely, think before you answer, "why does an outward, normal swinging door, need a motor to help it open?"

The answer is, it does not. Vertical doors do however. Would i compromise and say it will be a diagonal door, opening more upward than the current doors are opening, sure, ill compromise there, but there is no reason chevy would waste money patenting a door mortor, with corvette photos in the drawings, unless they needed a door motor.

Rolls royce already has motorized doors that open normally.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
im not saying it is my preference they go upward, i am saying, if someone told me to stake a bet on will there be vertical doors on the c8 vettes higher up models, my answer would be "yes there will"

You guys still are ignoring the main point... why does chevy need a motor to make the sharp edged doors open outward and put door dings in peoples cars next to the vette in the parking lot?

Genuinely, think before you answer, "why does an outward, normal swinging door, need a motor to help it open?"

The answer is, it does not. Vertical doors do however. Would i compromise and say it will be a diagonal door, opening more upward than the current doors are opening, sure, ill compromise there, but there is no reason chevy would waste money patenting a door mortor, with corvette photos in the drawings, unless they needed a door motor.

Rolls royce already has motorized doors that open normally.
Who said the C8 will have a door motor? Just because someone saw a patent application doesn't mean it will be on this car. Why do people latch on to this stuff so blindly?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

GM typically patents things that apply to the vehicle they attach in the patent drawings, because it is that design/engineering team who supplies the drawings to the patent attorneys and to the patent office.

Nothing blind about it. If you think pickup trucks are going to have motorized doors, then by all means, keep arguing, because GM is only building trucks, vettes, and camaros moving forward. Think before you speak if you intend to loosely mock me, or we will battle

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-07-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
GM typically patents things that apply to the vehicle they attach in the patent drawings, because it is that design/engineering team who supplies the drawings to the patent attorneys and to the patent office.

Nothing blind about it. If you think pickup trucks are going to have motorized doors, then by all means, keep arguing, because GM is only building trucks, vettes, and camaros moving forward. Think before you speak if you intend to loosely mock me, or we will battle
We will battle, lol? Who says something like that, are you for real? Do you do a lot of internet battling, lol? I bet you are real good at your internet battling. What a joke, thanks for the laugh.

Only trucks, vettes, and Camaros, huh? What about Buick and Cadillac? Do they only sell trucks, vettes and Camaros? Think before you speak, right?
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

so let me get this straight... even after having time to think... you still found it wise to come back for more.

You honestly think the caddy design team... or the buick design team... who has nothing to do with vettes, is going to draw up patents with a corvette in the diagram?

Better yet, maybe you think the buick and caddy guys just call up the corvette guys on the phone and say "hey, can you draw this up for me, just stop doing whatever you are paid to do , and do my job for me instead"

All that time to think... and you respond with that? Come on man.. get out of here.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

at least come back with something like "how do you know caddy isnt going to make a vette like car as well, and GM did not want people knowing its coming?"

That would be the only out i could see for you to have a case.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

maybe what the motor does, is it also locks the door into place, and now less limber occupants can use the diagonally upward swinging door, as a handle to pull themselves up and out of the car.

If it does not do that... GM.. free ideas on me. Patent away.

Quick Reply: C8 Vertical doors...